Start by marking “Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle” as Want to Read:
Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle

Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle

Drip. Sip. Pour me a cup. Water is water unless...it heats up.
Whirl. Swirl. Watch it curl by. Steam is steam unless...it cools high.

This spare, poetic picture book follows a group of kids as they move through all the different phases of the water cycle. From rain to fog to snow to mist, talented author Miranda Paul and the always remarkable Jason Chin (Re
Hardcover, First edition, 40 pages

Water
is
water
unless. . .

Water is Water is a lyrical informational picture book (consider that combination!) about the water cycle, from clouds to mud to apples to bodies, with a useful and engaging appendix (did you know that babies are 78% water but young children are 65% water? An oak tree is 75% water. 96& of the world's water is salt water.

Given my interest in the world's water crisis (and more local concerns for me such a
Maren Prestegaard
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Non-fiction was NOT this good when I was a kid.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

“Water is…everywhere!”

In the *crack* of ice, splash of a puddle and the soft, slow glide of fog. Water Is Water breaks down the way water moves through nature in seasons and all its different forms. From the faucet to the clouds to the rivers. Come see...

This book is a wonderful source of facts and fun and beauty. Every page is a piece of art. Nature, colors, and faces accompany and highlight the simple, poetic words. Gorgeous words and images! My eyes loved and locked on the colors. They
Laura Harrison
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely remarkable picture book. The title is putting people off it seems. An incredible shame because the info and particularly the artwork are mind blowing. Detailed, clever and beautiful. I always liked the illustrator-now I love him! One of my top favorite 5 picture books of 2015 so far.
Tegan
Absolutely beautiful! The illustrations are gorgeous and I love the storytelling. A great non-fiction book that will keep a reader's attention.
Hannah
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot stop thinking about Water Is Water. It is early yet, but it might just be my favorite picture book of 2015. The text or art alone will take your breath away, but the combination? Mind-blowing. And it is nonfiction. And it features a diverse cast of characters.

Drip.
Sip.
Pour me a cup.
Water
is
water
unless...

And with that lyrical opening, readers are taken on a journey through the different states of water as it cycles through the seasons. From
Jason
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I want to live in a world drawn by Jason Chin.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A spare, poetic picture book depicting a group of children as they experience all the different phases of the water cycle. Beautifully illustrations by Jason Chin. See also Walter Wick's A Drop of Water.
Kristen
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!
Danielle
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful and informative. Really well done.
Shiloah
Beautiful Illustrations. The sequence didn’t always make sense, but it was an original idea.
Agnė
4.5 out of 5
One of the most poetic and imaginative presentations of the water cycle I have ever seen.
And the illustrations are gorgeous...

...and dynamic.

And the additional information in the back matter is very informative and surprisingly engaging.

And... And... Simply excellent!
Seema Rao
The water cycle is clearly described through the actions of people. One of the best non-fiction children's book b/c it makes something abstract, very concrete and narrative.
Rachel Freeman
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 572-book-reviews
Nonfiction: Water is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle by Miranda Paul
"Water is Water" is an extremely creative take on a nonfiction text about the water cycle. Instead of just simply providing the reader with information regarding the various parts and steps of the water cycle, the author pairs the various parts of the water cycle with descriptive words and simple explanations through what people are experiencing or doing. Each part of the cycle is paired beautifully with intricate, well-tho
Nina
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Content Area: Science
Water is Water is an educational story that shows the various phases of the water cycle. The twin text I have chosen to pair with Water is Water is a book from the ever-popular Magic School Bus series, called The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle. I have chosen this book, because it perfectly ties with my non-fiction book, but with a touch of fantasy and fiction, which will better intrigue students of that age. The Magic School Bus Wet All Ove
Kathryn
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book was great for all of my kids (ages 2, 4 & 6). They all got something out of it. My older ones learned some basic info about water and the seasons. My littlest kid loved the detailed illustrations. The illustrations are fabulous and there is so much to look at! I would say my 2 year old liked this book the best out of all my kids.
Allie
I'm doing a chilly story time (chillebration!) and I'm using this as one of my books to talk about the water cycle. The text is really fun and I love the rhythm of the unlesses. The illustrations are great too -- exciting, engaging, and with a lot to look at and talk about.
Emily Caveye
I chose to pair this book with "A Raindrop's Journey" By Holli Conger. I chose this twin text because it is a goofy explanation to the science of water. Water is Water is about the water cycle and I think it pairs very well with A Raindrop's Journey. These texts could be used in a science lesson about the cycle of water. I would use a Webbing activity for these books because the students could tell me all of the information they know about water and we can see what new things we learn from both ...more
Christy Eanes
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I would use this set of twin texts as a science lesson. Water is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle tells of the different phases of the water cycle, including rain, mist, snow and fog. The twin text fiction book of The Little Raindrop (by Joanna Gray, 2014) tells the story of a single raindrop that makes its journey through the water cycle. The fiction book is a fun way to introduce the lesson on the Earth’s water cycle. It’s full of pastel-colored pictures that make it entertaining to follow ...more
Samantha
A rhyming read aloud about the water cycle that sets up a nice format and sticks with it successfully. Each two page spread uses descriptive language to explain a stage of the water cycle and uses the word "unless" to lead to a change in the cycle.

Watercolor and gouache illustrations are simply beautiful. A racially diverse cast of characters enjoy and celebrate nature in all its glory throughout every spread.

Back matter introduces vocabulary and water cycle specific term
Rachel
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, children
Impressive art accompanies this unique look at the water cycle, expressed in limited, rhyming text. There are numerous nonfiction books available on the water cycle, but this is a stand-out for many reasons. In simplistic and accurate terms, it describes how water moves through different states beyond the obvious. For example, it mentions steam and fog. It also asks the reader to use prediction and analysis to understand the nature of the water cycle. At the end of the book, the author includes ...more
Maddie Buller
Twin Text:
Ghigna, C. (2012). "We need water." Picture Window Books: North Mankato.

I would use these books in science curriculum. "Water is Water" details the many forms that water takes. "We Need Water" describes different areas that water can be found in daily life. I would have students create a K-W-L chart for these two books. Prior to reading "We Need Water" students would write down what they already know about water, how they use water, the different forms that they know water takes
Barbara
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
With minimal text and lovely watercolor illustrations that seem to highlight water's playful nature, this picture book poetically describes water's many forms. Not only is is needed for plants and animals to drink in order to live, but it also can form as steam, a cloud, fog, rain, puddles, and even ice or snow. Young readers will be interested in the back matter too since it provides additional information about all the forms of water described earlier and reminds readers that yummy apples and ...more
Joan
This was a delightful book! I hope it gets the Siebert Honor in January! It is an incredibly simple yet readable book on the water cycle. The book would make a great nonfiction title for story time to work with Common Core STEM titles. It is an explanation in poetic language as to the many different forms water can take, including, in us. The back matter includes a more succinct explanation of what the water cycle is including the percentage various objects, including people have of water in the ...more
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A rainy afternoon is the perfect time to sit down and read this book. Lots of opportunity to discuss water in our world with your child, but a little bit confusing as we go from item to item, not really following the water cycle at all (throwing in apples seemed an odd choice to bring things full circle though I get where they're coming from). I think what makes this book good is the beautiful illustrations. Overall, not the best on the topic, but enjoyable enough to look at that I would read it ...more
Connie T.
There's a lot happening here: the water cycle (explained in the simplest terms), the passing of the seasons, conservation and love of nature, not to mention the vibrant, fun artwork. Simple, rhyming text offers a story that even the youngest of children can relate to while providing opportunities for further discussion. Children of many races are portrayed and the parents of the story are interracial.
Heidi-Marie
A fairly simple way to explain parts of the water cycle. And even seasons! There is much discussion that can be had with this book, especially if in a lap-read. Worth trying in storytime.

7/20/16 Not bad. Used as beginner in "W is for..." theme. I think the kids liked the pictures, and what was happening. Tried to draw their attention to what was happening in the pictures aside from what the words were saying. Overall not bad. Not amazing, but it worked.
Kifflie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A unique and interesting take on the water cycle, gorgeously illustrated by Jason Chin. There is so much going on with every page, even beyond the simple text about the different states that water can have.

The colors jump out at you. The multiracial cast of kids has fun all year round, in all different kinds of weather -- it made me want to join them in their games.

Terrific work.
Rebecca
Brilliant! Going to recommend this next time the water cycle questions come up. This well-rhymed book (illustrated by the great Jason Chin) shows the various forms of water through two sibling's seasons, even including apples into apple cider. Bonus points for making the family mixed-race and making their country house a place I totally want to live.
Barb Middleton
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful nonfiction book on the water cycle. Grade 1 students loved it as a read aloud. They liked guessing what was on the following pages as to what state the water would change - liquid to solid, etc. Would be good with the liquid and solid curriculum unit as an introduction. I liked the word choices used by the author with a mixture of rhymes and alliteration.

• A Visitor for Bear
  • When We Were Alone
  • Pink Is for Boys
  • Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too
  • Cat's Colors
Miranda Paul has worked as a teacher, volunteer zookeeper, and freelance writer--among other things. She is passionate about creating stories for young readers that inspire, entertain, and broaden horizons. Miranda is also a thrill-seeker, and one of her bravest moments involved reciting poetry from inside a crocodile pit. (Yikes!)

In addition to being a picture book author, Miranda is