Start by marking “The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea

The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea

Which sea creature is the greatest? Is it the one with the most venom, the greatest diver, the one with blue blood, or the best rotating eyes? Or is it the master of disguise, the one with the best light, the most slime, or the most eggs? Fascinating facts and spectacular illustrations will inspire young readers to choose their own favorite sea creatures!
Published June 16th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea

Start your review of The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
No doubt about it, this book contains a lot of amazing sea creatures! Guiberson did an excellent job of selecting animals with unique properties and abilities. I was thinking " wow! " at every one. My vote for the most amazing, I think, goes to the box jellyfish, because I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it has "no brain, no blood, no backbone, and no lungs or gills," and yet is one of the deadliest creatures in the sea. I also have to say that the hagfish is one of the ...more
paula
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulously detailed underwater portraits of some of the biggest, most deadly, or flat-out weirdest creatures in the sea. Gennady Spirin's murky tempera, watercolor and pencil art recalls murky Dutch Renaissance still life paintings, and deserves a place alongside the similarly outrageous naturalist work of Ernst Haeckel and Maria Sybilla Meriam. Yep. I will go that far.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
With illustrations that we both draw in kids and even creep them out a bit, and text that will have kids debating exactly who is the Most Amazing Creature in the Sea, Guiberson & Spirin have a book that will appeal to children. I love that the text can be used as a mentor text for writing.
Alyssa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is such a fun book!! I enjoyed the sea creatures that were highlighted. The only problem is my mom said it scares her kindergarten kids. That is understandable though because anglerfish are creepy. Really well done though!
Barbara
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
From the eye-catching cover of an anglerfish and the book's title, readers might be excused for thinking the author is going to provide the definitive answer to which sea creature is most intriguing. But she doesn't; instead, as was the case in her earlier The Greatest Dinosaur Ever, she offers a baker's dozen of amazing creatures found in the ocean's depths and then makes a case for each one of them. From the box jellyfish on the book's opening pages to the maritime helpers near the conclusion, ...more
Linda Lipko
As always, the combination of the writing of Brenda Guiberson and the lush illustrationhs of Gennady Spirin create award-winning books time and time again.

In this book, very interesting, sometimes bizarre looking deep sea creatures are highlight with a description of what makes them the most amazing sea creature. The reader follows page after wonderfully detailed images of The Vampire Squid, who turns itself inside out to hide it's blackness with the added ability to create incredible bright
Kimberly
Ugh. There are so many gross, gross things in the ocean.

That being said, this book is really good. If you like gross things, and octopi, and whale sharks, turtles and blue whales. Those things are not gross, I guess.
Karen Bessin
The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea is an interesting blend of informational text and argument writing, where each creature makes the case for why they should be chosen "the most amazing creature." A great mentor text!
Beverly
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbnf-500
Not only is the information fascinating, but Gennady Spirin's paintings are fantabulous!
Anya Edwards
Twin Text:
Swinburne, S. R., & Peterson, M. (2010). Ocean soup: Tide pool poems. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.

Rationale:
These two texts look at different animals in the ocean. The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea (Guiberson, 2015) looks at animals that may not be as well known in a narrative description format. Ocean Soup: Tide Pool Poems (Swinburne & Peterson, 2010) looks at more familiar animals in verse form with poems for each animal, often told in first person. By looking at these
Christine Turner

Note: This book could be used as a part of pre-school or elementary storytime. Depending on the group, you may not be able to read the entire
Margaux
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely an interesting read. The illustrations in here are absolutely phenomenal. The way she takes these modern creatures and draws them in almost a prehistoric manner is awesome.

The writing is a different concept, too. Each animal gives her own argument for why she is the "most amazing creature in the sea." They boast about their best features and talents just like a kid would. However, the reader doesn't feel inundated with information at the end of the book, which would be a worry for
Cecilia
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written nonfiction picture book. It doesn't shy away from the gross/weird facts about real life sea creatures, but it does so in a very classy way. It's a book that would appeal to kids that like gross humor without actually containing any body function humor. The facts were kept factual but brief, but never felt anything other than thorough.

As for the illustrations: The publisher easily could have used real life picture for this book. But then it would have felt just like
Deana Metzke
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read this book right before our trip to the aquarium, and it was perfect. Each page has a different extraordinary animal from the sea who pleads their case as to why they are the most amazing. They give different characteristics that they have that other animals lack, so you as the reader can make your own choice.

This would be a wonderful read aloud in any classroom, and was a wonderful bedtime read for me and my two kids!
Jackie
All these sea creatures tell us why they think they are The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea:

Box Jellyfish
Whale Shark
Blue Whale
Leafy Sea Dragon
Wolffish

A short snippet about each animal along with colorful, detailed illustrations make his picture book intriguing and engaging.
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea
Author: Brenda Z. Guiberson
Lexile Level: unlisted
Pages: 32
Recommendations and Comments: A beautifully illustrated book about the most amazing creature in the sea. Which one is it? A Vampire Squid? A Hagfish? A Blue Whale? You’ll have to read the book to find out!
Stars: 5 out of 5
Reviewed by: Jamie Guardi
Mary
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
On each two-page spread with a natural-like, close picture of the unusual animal, that creature describes its unique qualities in 5-6 lines, proclaiming itself the most amazing creature in the sea. Would be difficult to choose just one. Readers are likely to search for more info on several of these.
Bluestem Nominee 2018
Jess
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Describes what makes an array of deep sea creatures amazing. Interesting and full of fun facts--hagfish tie themselves into knot, ocean sunfish are as heavy as rhinos, etc--but I want photos. I ended up googling a bunch of the animals.
Pat Salvatini
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-3-5
The targeted audience will enjoy the strange creatures Guilberson has chosen to highlight in this book. The format is perfect for either individual enjoyment or as a research lesson launch.
Tracy Holland
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating facts about little known creatures found in the ocean.
Michael Kearney
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing illustrations!
Britt
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you ever wonder why I am afraid of the ocean, I will pass you this book. Guh.
Julia
Simply gorgeous illustrations. Wow.
Rani
Digging through the depths of the ocean, the authors shares the wondrous creatures of the deep!

#Ocean #STEM #Science #Picturebook #creatures
Betsy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great picture book for a read aloud or discussion of sea creatures. Good for comparing and contrasting.
WOW! I love the illustrations! Wonderful weird creatures with cool facts that are fascinating for all ages. Bluestem 2018 book.
Laura McLoughlin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 6 year old brought this home from her school library. Pretty interesting book. My biggest take-away - there are a lot of weird and gross creatures that live in the sea!
Jonathan
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was interesting, but in a very picture book type of way. I felt like a lot more information could have been included. It didn't seem very scientific, but more or less a few sentences about each of the creatures, with an attempt to turn a few facts into a story. It would have been cool if there was a fact sheet or something, that told more specifically where these animals lived, their weight, diet, etc. Then it would have been a great research resource, instead it was just an average ...more
Sunday
This is the kind of book you could use with k-5 students--for different purposes. Guiberson, one of my go-to authors, writes well with a clear purpose. In this book, she describes how each of several sea creatures is amazing. As I read, I kept gasping aloud at the almost fantastical details that are included. For example, the male angler fish attaches itself to the female with his teeth and then his skin fuses to the female's and they become one. The male loses its eyes and the female sees for ...more
Kirsten
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
summary (from Amazon):

Review:

This books is mostly pictures so it works great for a nonfiction story time or for getting young readers excited
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crossing Niagara: The Death-Defying Tightrope Adventures of the Great Blondin
  • The House That Jane Built: A Story about Jane Addams
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Who Was Louis Braille?
  • Stick Dog (Stick Dog, #1)
  • Soar
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • A Blind Guide to Stinkville
  • The Terrible Two (The Terrible Two, #1)
  • Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II)
  • Lion Lessons
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • Fuzzy Mud
  • Maya's Blanket/La Manta de Maya
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
Brenda Z. Guiberson has written many books for children, including Cactus Hotel, Spoonbill Swamp, Moon Bear and Disasters. As a child, Brenda never thought she wanted to be a writer—her dreams tended more toward jungle explorer. She graduated from the University of Washington with degrees in English and Fine Art. She started thinking about writing for children when her son went to elementary ...more