Start by marking “Joyride” as Want to Read:
Joyride

Joyride

A popular guy and a shy girl with a secret become unlikely accomplices for midnight pranking, and are soon in over their heads—with the law and with each other—in this sparkling standalone from NYT-bestselling author Anna Banks.

It’s been years since Carly Vega’s parents were deported. She lives with her brother, studies hard, and works at a convenience store to contribute
Published June 2nd 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Joyride, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
ariel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rebecca Ridge The main character name is Carly Vega, Also another main character is Arden Moss.
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
256 books — 1,368 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,467 books — 8,876 voters

More lists with this book...

Alyssa
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Joyride by Anna Banks
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Rating: 2 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s been years since Carly Vega’s parents were deported. She lives wi
Tamara
Joy-ride my ass.
“I appreciate what this book was trying to do so diversity gets 3 stars

But my bored mind wants to give it 2 stars instead

My heart on the other hand says I should give it 1 stars cause it stole my fucking precious time.

So overall 2,5 stars.

I think.”

Boy, am I pissed. This book statistically got worse after 60%. And to think it had such an amazing potential in the beginning. *sigh* It starts off with a bang but turns into ‘meh’ towards the end. What an trainwreck.

Meet Carly. She
Marla Mei
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Edit 6/12/15:

A week after I read this book and I'm still not in the mood to write a review on this. Fortunately, my friend Tamara has written the most perfect review ever and she completely summed up what this book is and the things it made me feel.

Original mini review:

I can't decide between two or three stars so 2.5 it is.

While the first half of the book is lighthearted and made me laugh a couple of times, the second half is a freaking soap opera that was just way too dramatic for my taste.

Leslie
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
I reallllly liked this book. This is the first book that i read with a Mexican female lead because theres not many YA books with hispanic characters and i hate that but I think Anna Banks did i great job with this book!
Rose
Quick review for a not so quick read. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did; there were parts where it had me, but far too many times, I was also very frustrated with it. Kyla Garcia and Andrew Eiden did a wonderful job with the audio narration, which probably played into how much I liked it and how easy the read went down despite its shifting perspectives and styles (first person female view vs. third person male view).

This book, to me, felt a bit all over the place for what it wa
Stacee
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A real and honest side of immigration and family presented in way that only Anna could provide.

Carly is definitely an interesting MC. She's struggling with so many things, that it's delightful to see her let go and be a teenager instead of a 16 year old adult. Arden is different and yet the same. He's got his own set of problems that on the outside seem petty. The two of them together are so much fun.

The plot is a bit more serious than I would have expected, but it's fantastic. It felt very re
ambsreads
DNF @ 50%

Oh my God. I was enjoying this but holy crap the characters were ridiculous. Arden was obsessed with being "manly" and Carly went along with all his stupid ideas. I may come back to this one day but for now, it can join my DNF pile. Full review to come possibly.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

Joyride by Anna Banks gave me lots of feels! I've been looking forward to reading it all year, and I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint. It's got a really fun romantic set up, plus a deeper, heartfelt message at its core. I think it's fairly unique for a contemporary romance, even providing a twist at the end I didn't see coming and a scarily intense finish. I expected the swoons, but everything else was a fantastic bonus.

Let me get my main criticism out of the way first. The book is
Michele Mattos
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book. I don't know how much of it is the book's fault and how much of it is my own fault for picking a book by its cover. I was expecting a cute summer romance, which is not crazy to think given the name of the book and the summery cover. I was expecting the usual boy meets girl, they fall in love, something happens and they can't be together and then everything works out in the end.

I mean, I got that.. But I also got some sort of political statement. Let me explain. Our main
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
I adored this book! As a hispanic girl, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I get when I see a hispanic book character. Unfortunately, most of the books I read with hispanic characters have them either involved with drug dealers, gangs or cartels. This can get annoying pretty fast. I looooove that this book didn't feature any of that stuff and love even more that other than being a really cute romance, it also deals with some really serious issues like immigration, deportation and discrim ...more
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
So good, and so cute. You don't see much of a Mexican female lead in YA, but this book pulled it off. It discussed some very true topics like poverty, immigration and racism. Mix it in with a good amount of romance, and you got your next summer read.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Need a book to excite you and keep you on the edge of your seat? Joyride by Anna Banks is the book for you! With an inspirarional message and lots of diversity, this book is easily a favourite of mine.

Joyride is such a diverse book! The main character, Carly, is Mexican, which I don't see very often. Anna Banks does such a fantastic job of describing what it's like to deal with racism and poverty at the same time. This book discusses so many factors that can cause a person to live their life wit
John Winston
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Anna Bank's Joyride was a bit slow in the opening chapters, but picked up the pace a bit after that. The P.O.V. changes were a little anoying, but maybe necessary to complete the author's vision. If you decide to read this book and can get to the middle, it becomes a real page-turne. You'll find yourself, like I did, wanting to see what will come of the relationship between Carly and Ardon. I was definitely seeing a 4-star novel at this jucture, but then a drop off and the story became somewhat ...more
nick
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Joyride is going to go down as one of my favorite YA contemporary romance books ever. It was perfect for me, not only because it has one of the sweetest romances I've ever read, but also because it tackles the serious and controversial issue of illegal immigrants. After having read Joyride and experiencing Anna Banks' lovely writing, I certainly hope she will delve more into YA contemporary.

For me, the strength of Joyride lies in the main character, Carly. She was a beautifully fleshed out chara
Rashika (is tired)
Feb 14, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc, disappointing
It's been SO SO long since I felt this bothered by a book. 2015 seemed to be a good year for me book wise and then this book came along. I think this is my first DNF of the year?

Now I don't usually get ranty but here are just a couple of my thoughts because I am SO FRUSTRATED.

-Why does this book vomit a bunch of stereotypes on us? Don't get me wrong, I ADORE diversity but I feel like it's cheating if the characters are such basic caricatures.
-I could get over the stereotypes though; what really
Abbie
I love you Arden Moss!!!

I honestly thought this would be a typical YA romance that would make me roll my eyes and make gagging noises --- but I was wrong.

Yes, I admit this book would still fall under the predictable love story category but somehow I love it.

Carlotta Vega and Arden Moss are like a modern-day Romeo and Juliet. Except in this case, Carly isn't a damsel in distress. I liked how the story progressed and the narration. I adored the characters especially Cletus.

Sure, this story might
Arlene
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joyride by Anna Banks is a great YA Contemporary that carries a worthy plot that is not commonly found in Young Adult. A story about the struggles of immigration, prejudice and finding love despite the challenges life brings you is always a story I’m ready to read.

Sixteen year old Carly Vega is no stranger to hard work and constant struggle. She and her brother Julio have not seen their parents since they were deported back to Mexico over three years ago. Since then, Carly and Julio have worked
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was such a surprising thrill! I loved Carly and I thought the author balanced a very fine line, examining the struggles of sacrifice for family v. self-preservation and happiness. I thought the first half was stronger for me but I didn't mind the ending! I definitely recommend this book, particularly if you are looking for more diverse books! :)
Allison
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was wonderful. I have to say I wasn't expecting all that much. I found The Syrena Legacy books to be just okay and didn't really understand why the third one was written in the first place. But Anna Banks is from my hometown and she went to my high school, so I will always be super excited to read her latest release.

The book takes place in Florida. The town is never specifically mentioned, but it's obviously
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:

The story of how a rich guy, and a poor girl fall in love isn’t new. But this time around, the rich guy, Arden, is the son of a racist Sheriff, and the poor girl, Carly, is Mexican. As you would imagine, Arden’s father is not too happy about his son dating Carly, and I hated this prejudice jerk ab
Jasmina
4.5/5

Joyride is the book I’ve been waiting for since August of last year. Though I will say that I’m mildly surprised how different it was compared to the Syrena Legacy, I wouldn’t go as far as say that it was a bad kind of a surprise. Banks’ debut series and Joyride honestly can’t be compared due to the nature of their themes, and yet when reading all the books, you know Banks wrote them!

Joyride brings forth a huge and touchy subject. After having her parents deported back to Mexico after being
Trisha
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Do I have you, Carly?" he says softly. "Do I have you like you have me?"

What a wonderful story. It's a love story but it's also a story about family - and how much a young girl should take on in order to save her family.

Carly is not your typical teenage girl. From the outside, she's a quiet "please don't see me" Junior in high school. She's got a secret, a reason she doesn't want to be seen. She works nights - long nights where she does her homework - at convenience story. that's nothing, her b
Shelley
**I received this book for free from Feiwel & Friends in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Contemporary
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Joyride is a standalone novel that features 16-year old Carlotta "Carly" Vega, and 17-year old Arden Moss. The story is told in alternating narratives. Carly in the first person, Arden in the third. This is a story that takes place in Florida where the author calls home. It i
Melanie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
****ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.****

My need to keep reading this book was because, I had no idea what was going to happen. You meet these two characters with total different lives and backgrounds that together they are a grenade about to explode. I had lots of theories of what was going to happen, waiting for everything to fall down and break. Waiting until someone ruin each others life. Is one of those books you want to know what is going to happ
Ashley Owens
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-loans, latinx
Full review to come this week!
ReadWriteLove28
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Joyride! For some reason, as many times as I try, I can’t write an actual review for this book. So, I’m just going to say that I recommend it and I give it 4stars.
Nancy The book junkie
Review coming soon!
Lisa
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it

Carly, the daughter of Mexican immigrant parents, isn't your typical teenager. Her parents were previously deported, so she spends every waking hour that she's not in school working her butt off and saving every penny, along with her brother, to help get her parents back into the country. She doesn't have time for boys or friends... just work, work, work. And at a pretty unsafe job, to make matters worse. Carly meets Arden, one of the most popular guys in school, and finds herself formi
Katie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-copy
This review was originally posted on my blog, Kittens and Books.

I received a free review copy of this book through Netgalley.

Carly is just trying to fly under the radar until she and her brother earn enough money to bring back their parents, who were deported to Mexico years before. Arden is trying to do anything he can think of to make his father, the sheriff, angry. When these two come together, their goals obviously clash.
Arden, who used to pull pranks with his older sister, is seeking anothe
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay okay okay let me first start off by saying the author did an excellent job on the joining the rich with the immigrants. Immigration is a big issue in the news and for the author to write such a heart warming story that was both funny and sad at the same time tugged at my heart. The characters felt real life to me and I wanted to jump into the book and save Carly's family.

Carly is living with her older brother because her parents were deported back to Mexico. She is working and trying to sav
  • Relax, I'm a Ninja (Relax, I'm a Ninja, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Proms (Bard Academy, #4)
  • Like It Never Happened
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)
  • Young Widows Club
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • The Trouble with Destiny
  • Truest
  • A Million Miles Away
  • The Devil You Know
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • Daisy and the Front Man (Backstage Pass, #3)
  • Echoes
  • Finding Paris
  • A Royal Birthday: A False Princess Short Story
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.

Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. And yes, everyone from Niceville is generally nice.

Let's see, things about me....My writer's cat is a mini wiener dog named Puckdoo. I can't walk in high heels, but I'm amazing at standing still in them. I'm the only person in Florida without a tan. I stole a car when I was 12 years o
“I like the idea of feeling small. Sometimes life can seem bigger than you, you know? But knowing you're less than a speck in the whole scheme of things takes the pressure off, sort of.” 9 likes
“But are there really good people? Good people, through and through? Or are we all just varying versions of bad people, some trying harder to be good?” 9 likes