Start by marking “Wild Feelings” as Want to Read:
Wild Feelings

Wild Feelings

Do you ever feel as stubborn as a mule? Or as chicken as a chicken? Of course you do. Everyone does.

In this lighthearted look at feelings, David Milgrim tenderly and humorously sketches the emotional range—from awkward to unnoticed, to really, rrrreally mad. Ultimately reassuring, this is a loving look at the normal, natural feelings we all have.
Published August 4th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Feelings

Garrett
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Shelley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book shows how some human feelings are the same that wild animals feel or express. It's pretty basic. It just normalizes feelings as being natural and shows that humans are animals too. It doesn't teach you anything else or go beyond that simple concept. I think this book would be good for very young kids like age 3 or 4. Kids older than that would probably want more than what this book gives you.
Jillian Heise
A hilariously illustrated book asking on each page if the reader has ever felt like a certain animal with the people on the pages costumed to coincide with the feelings they would have as that animal (for example: stubborn as a mule). A nice message about it being natural to have so many different feelings at different times, and showing that everyone gets mad, with cute and funny illustrations, but the illustration on the final page caught me off guard.
Mary
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lively picture book about emotions. A young child dresses in a variety of animal costumes exploring different feelings; for instance, in a desert in a wolf costume howling at the moon, asking about feeling completely alone. I especially appreciate the grownup participation at the end; reminding us that we all have the same feelings. A useful book to use at any age to encourage conversation.
Miya Gaub
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! One each page, the author wrote an analogy comparing an animals’ characteristic to an emotion a child might have felt. For example, as stubborn as a mule. The artwork on each page shows a little boy dressed up as the animal being discussed, as well as exhibiting the feeling. I loved how the author was able to compare different animals to a child’s every day life to make their feelings seem more natural. Often times in my experience adults tell children that their emo ...more
Ms. Kelly
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k, storyhour
The bold lines of the illustrations in this picture book are engaging and interesting to see. The author uses animals as representatives for emotion, such as feeling lonely (wolf howling at night) or clumsy (as an ox) or angry (the lion on the cover)

Some of the associations feel a little forced, but the cute illustrations save it. They remind me of Maurice Sendak's "Pierre". Probably because of the lion.
Ruth Ann
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like David Milgrim's books but this is one of my favorites. I like how the author normalizes strong feelings rather than making strong childhood feelings pathological. Entertaining and surprisingly reassuring for kids.
Tennille Stewart
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute book to help toddlers identify their emotions and understand that their big emotions are totally and completely normal. I love that they are described by animals - toddlers love animals and it really helps us understand and describe feelings.
Susan
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love that it shows a kid dressed up as different animals to show different feelings. Stubborn as a mule? Sad as a lost kitten in the rain? I feel those things too! The best pet is seeing adults dressed up the same way at the end.
Mckelle
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
We have been working on having a healthy relationship with all of our emotions and this book was perfect. Meets the bill on understanding that we all have emotions and emotions aren't bad, which was great, but it exceeds that by also being cute and fun too so my kids actually want to read it.
Ryan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting book on feelings. It uses pictures and great imagery to discuss feeling like an animal. Are you going “batty”, or lonely like the wolf. It’s all perfectly natural and everyone feels that way at sometime too. A lovely story with fun illustrations.
Emily
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: acls, kids, storytime
Great for storytime (probably preschool-aged) to catch some of the references. All about feelings by relating them to animals.
Trish
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, je
This book is about how everyone has feelings.
Kelly
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty cute, colorfully illustrated story about feelings.
You feel, I feel, we all feel and that is ok!
Erica
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Great idea, engaging illustrations. kids like seeing the adults in their animal feeling costumes too. Planning to use it with Zones of Regulation discussion.
Melissa Morgal
Cute book with nice illustrations. Good book to use as an example of similes and to discuss feelings.
Marcie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
PK-2nd grade. Funny little book that delivers the message that we all have feelings, and they are all perfectly normal. The author asks, "Have you ever felt...?" and fills in the question with an animal idiom. It's a great book to introduce idioms, metaphors, and overall silly language using funny animal illustrations. It also assures its readers that everyone, even adults, have similar feelings. Cute!
Barbara
Using a series of similes, some familiar and others original ["as stubborn as a mule," "as clumsy as an ox," and "as sad as a lost kitten in the rain"], the author provides reassurance that feelings are natural. All of us feel out of control at one time or another. Because each of the feelings is approached with humor and accompanied by large, colorful illustrations showing adults and children wearing animal masks, readers will feel comforted that everyone experiences these feelings. The images ...more
Jennifer Hendzlik
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Feeling angry, tired, stubborn or cranky? Me either! But, if you do happen to find that streak of stubborn in the future, David Milgrim is there for you to make sure you know you aren't alone. Each feeling is coupled with the animal costume that matches for a light-hearted look at feelings. I came for the fun illustrations and I left wanting to buy it for every friend I know who is pregnant right now (A LOT) because of the empathetic, we are all in this together and it is going to be ok message ...more
Juliana Lee
Explore feelings which are often attributed to animals… stubborn as a mule, small as a mouse, daffy as a duck. Everyone feels like this at one time or another. It’s only natural. Kids will love the pictures of each child dressed up in an animal costume and adults dressed up too. But the favorite will certainly be the child who is naturally butt-naked running across the final page!
Abby Pooch
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Although this book is trying to be about feelings, the ties to different animals would be confusing if an adult were actually trying to help the child understand feelings more. This is a cute book that young kids might like, so there would be no harm in reading it for fun. However, other more appropriate books should be used for actually teaching emotion education.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Me & my 9-year-old enjoyed this book way too much! We were giggling to the point of acquiring hiccups & I'm not even sure why...well, maybe the animal costumes...but I recommend you see for yourself :)
Angela
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and funny! We all have these sometimes out of control feelings. Young readers will see that they are not alone in experiencing these "wild feelings." A fun and light-hearted look at emotions. Perfectly illustrated.
Bethe
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
feelings as animals will help young readers connect to their emotions, also might recognize a few idioms as well. Also good to note that everyone, even adults, have these different emotions. Fun pics too.
Thaddeus
Jan 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Terrible message. This book promotes bad behavior. Almost every page is a partial sentence and most sentences begin with a preposition. You might as well tell the Children it's ok to go and grab pussies.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A whimsical look at a range of emotions.
Ashley
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Feelings are wild and unpredictable things and Milgrim displays them with a simple eloquence that any young reader could relate to.
Ellie Chenoweth
Good to show that emotions are ok... could talk about how to handle them afterwards
Robin
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Great concept, topic, illustrations, but the pacing and structure was a little off.
Paula
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Do you ever feel as stubborn as a mule? Or as chicken as a chicken? Of course you do. Looks at the normal, natural feelings we all have"-- Provided by publisher.
  • The Goodbye Book
  • Grumpy Pants
  • Little Bird's Bad Word: A Picture Book
  • Walter Was Worried
  • My Blue Is Happy
  • Bear with Me
  • Turtle Island
  • Blocks
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • I'll Never Let You Go
  • All the Things I Love About You
  • It's Tough to Lose Your Balloon
  • How Do You Feel?
  • When Miles Got Mad
  • Big Bear, Small Mouse
  • Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku
  • Fly!
  • Hello Hello (Books for Preschool and Kindergarten, Poetry Books for Kids)