Start by marking “Out of the Woods: A True Story of an Unforgettable Event” as Want to Read:
Out of the Woods: A True Story of an Unforgettable Event

Out of the Woods: A True Story of an Unforgettable Event

"Inspired by the author's grandfather's experiences living in a lodge in the woods, a story of how people and animals survive a forest fire in a small Canadian town"--
Published July 21st 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Annie
Every once in a while, I see a book that connects me to my childhood self, and to the things that aroused my sense of wonder then. This book is one of those.

"Out of the Woods" is a true story, and is set by a lake in the woods in Ontario in 1914. The central figure is four-year-old Antonio Willie Giroux, who lives at the hotel his mother runs for vacationing sportsmen as well as for lumbermen and miners. The central event of the story is a forest fire that forces all the local inhabitants into
Kristine Hansen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not every picture book inspired by a true event is about some famous person. This particular story tells of an incident a long time ago where a young boy experienced a forest fire, back in the days before fire engines and smoke jumpers and all those things we have now to protect us from fire. To those of us who live in an areas where wildfires happen, this story will definitely touch home (and even frighten a little bit when you realize that the only information people had back then about fires ...more
Connie D
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Bond certainly brought her grandfather's memories to life in this picture book biography. I loved hearing, seeing, and even smelling his memories of living in a lodge in the Ontario woods. In the end, we have an amazing meeting of humans and animals, one I wish could have happened in Bambi.
Debrarian
1914. Gowganda Lake, Ontario. Five-year-old Antonio lives in his mother's tall wooden hotel full of hunters and trappers. He wanders in the woods but rarely see animals: wisely, they keep themselves hidden. But then one day a fire roars through the woods. The only safe place is the lake -- and not just for people.

The tall, plain hotel's common rooms full of tables and bunks, and the cedars and poplars -- and creatures -- of the forest, are brought vividly to life in Bond's minutely inked illustr
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really can't stand children's stories with a moral lesson. Thankfully this isn't it. Just a simple straight forward remembrance of a true childhood event. No real lead-in, no tidy wrap-up. It's good!
Benji Martin
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has a magical feel to it. I think my students are going to enjoy it.
Julie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended by a friend, lovely, interesting little tale told in a simple way with nicely done illustrations. Goes to show that sometimes reality can also surpass imagination.
Tasha
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspired by a true story, this picture book tells of the author’s grandfather’s life in Ontario, Canada in 1914. Antonio lived with his family in a hotel run by his mother. He spent his time with the hotel workers since there were no children around. He helped the cooks, the maids, and watched as others hauled wood and repaired buildings. The hotel had three stories with a space to feed crowds of people, individual rooms for travelers and then a large open dormitory space for others. He loved sp ...more
Pam  Page
Such an interesting, true story about a boy, Antonio, living in the woods in Canada in a hotel run by his mother. Their customers were lumberjacks, trappers, and miners and Antonio loved to go to the top floor and listen to their music and watch them play cards. But an event in the woods one night creates a memory for all. This story documents that event! The story is written and illustrated by Antonio's granddaughter.
Marietje
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Bond outdid herself with this beautifully executed book. Her intricate drawings are accented with watercolor washes in earth tones, which creates the mood of the time in which the story takes place. The story is told in the gentle poetic language of a grandparent. This is a must read for adults and children.
Julie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a lovely book. It would be a terrific story even if it was fiction, but it's not. Anyone who has felt the magic of woods and who is drawn to animals will love this one. Really stellar job of telling this through a child's eyes.
Michele Knott
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for all readers - this moment in time, true story, will have readers thinking about this book long after they close the pages.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, picture-books
A remarkable, magical true story handsomely illustrated.
Jen
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nice true story.
Danielle
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This feels like a story told and illustrated in just the right way to suit itself. Wow.
Kaitlin
Out of the Woods is based on a true story that the author was told about of her great-grandfather. This story is based in Ontario, Canada in 1914. During this time, Antonio, the great-grandfather, lived with his mother who ran a hotel in the woods. The hotel would get guest that were just passing through, as well as guest that would stay for a while for work, including trapping and logging. Young Antonio was always looking for the animals in the woods but never was able to truly see them. This w ...more
Marti
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Woods: A True Story of an Unforgettable Event by Rebecca Bond is a great read aloud. The book introduces us to the early life of Antonio. He grew up in Canada in a hotel near Lake Gowganda in Ontario in 1914. That summer it was incredibly dry and a forest fire was burning and heading their way. The survival of the people and the animals in the area depended on the lake. The story surrounds that incident and reminds us in the midst of danger and trouble - you are never alone. The pen a ...more
Kara Pushay
This was a great story! It explained the experience of the author's grandfather in the early 20th century, who lived in a hotel run by his parents in the woods. The illustrations of this story seem to be very realistic and have great detail. The hotel, guests, and forest, are sketchy but very realistic artwork which makes them amazing. I love the calm scenery throughout the story as well. This is a great book for a read aloud as well.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tells of life at the edge of the forest and on the shore of a lake in Canada in 1914. The main character is a boy whose mother runs a hotel/boarding house used by both hunters/fishermen (short term visitors) and lumberjacks/miners/trappers (long term people).

Life is interrupted by a huge fire that leads to all the people and the animals standing in the lake while the fire passes.
Lara Samuels
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Based in the life experience of the author’s Grandfather Antonio Willie Giroux, the tale shows how much we have in common. Would be a wonderful book for teaching past, present, and future. Would be an excellent choice to develop critical thinking, skills! This adaptable book lends itself to many learning opportunities in the classroom.
Hannah Groeschen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked that this book was based on a true story. I liked how the beginning and the text were structured in a similar way. I also liked how the title wasn't mentioned until closer to the end of the story. I liked the detail put into the illustrations and how all of the illustration were created with dark colors.
Heather
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-library, nature
My daughter said to me, "Mom you have to read this book it is SOOO good!"

Beautiful book and reminds me so much of home. A story of how people and animals can throw aside natural instinct when caught in a desperate situation. Oh to be the lucky little boy in this story who witnessed this amazing experience.
Catherine OBrien
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read easy picture books every day so i don't include them on my goodreads account but this one is such a lovely story that I had to include it. Almost like a fairy tale. Passed on in the oral tradition.
Loved it
Danielle
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second graders that I read this book to absolutely LOVED every second of this story, as did I! It is a very interesting, exciting, adventurous book that is hard to put down. The fact that this book is based on a true story made it that much more exciting! :)
Emily Stratmeyer
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A magical story with phenomenal illustrations!
Tania Roberts
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful descriptive text that creates a detailed image in your mind of an unforgettable true story experienced by a young boy in Canada.
Miss Sarah
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute story of an unforgettable event where fire breaks out in a Canadian Mountain town and what happens to the animals and people when it does. elementary
Mrs. Scott
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well-done art/colors and retelling of her grandfather’s experience ‘out in the woods’ when a fire raged through the woods.
charlene.librarian
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
Beautifully rendered.
Marcia
A cool story, based on actual events. The illustration are wonderful in setting the time and place. I won't give anything away--it's a pretty magical story.
  • How to Swallow a Pig: Step-by-Step Advice from the Animal Kingdom
  • Grand Canyon
  • Woodpecker Wham!
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Parrots Over Puerto Rico
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost