Start by marking “You're a Crab!: A Moody Day Book” as Want to Read:
You're a Crab!: A Moody Day Book

You're a Crab!: A Moody Day Book

Some days, it's easy to feel friendly or funny or silly. But other days, it's easier to feel mad or mean or snappy—in other words, to be a crab.

In this accessible introduction to moods and feelings, children will meet an underwater world full of friendly creatures, including a little crab whose changing moods show that it's okay to have days when you're feeling a little bi
Published June 2nd 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about You're a Crab!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're a Crab!

Start your review of You're a Crab!: A Moody Day Book
Megan Schmelzer
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

Kids are moody! Enough said. As both a teacher and a mother, I know this fact to the core of who I am. One moment you can have the happiest kiddo in the world, and the next moment you have a serious CRAB! Jenny Whitehead’s book, You’re a Crab! A Moody Day Book, takes a humorous approach to the many different emotions that we see within those kids we love.

This book is adorable. It hits on every emotion you could possibly see a child exhib
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
Great book about moods depicted by colorful ocean animals. It's not didactic at all, rather more of a playful look at the various emotions and moods that we all experience from day to day. I particularly liked the last part of the book "But on really tough days, when you're not in the mood to play at all, you can be a hermit crab, and I can be a hermit crab. And we can sit in our shells side by side in the sand until you feel better. You can take as long as you need because I will be right here. ...more
Sherrie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous color illustrations and catchy dialogue make You're a Crab the perfect book to help young readers understand emotions and the feelings that they may experience. You're a Crab explains that it's okay to have a bad day or to feel less than your usual sunny self. This was a quick fun read that is sure to become a favorite of elementary school children everywhere.
Chelsey
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eager to test this out on a storytime group, but one-on-one, it's fabulous. Super cute text and illustrations really get at all the different moods and how feelings work.

Edit: used in pre-school storytime this morning and the adults loved it, but my wigglers were only so-so on it. Still think it's really great and will try it on another group.
kim
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, 2015, kids
cute, but a little too fru fru for me.
Emily Parker
I found this read to be a little bit boring even though I love under the sea and ocean creatures. There was somethings I did enjoy though. I love how each creature there was described a personality trait. How you got the awesome illustration and seen the details of the different ocean creatures and how their personalty was shown and described so well. How they explain humans moods as well and ways they can get better and like the book states, "Because moods do that" when it mentioned how it coul ...more
Kayte
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kyle
My small human is totally a crabby crab. I feel like this is a great book to talk about emotions, but still distract him with fun ocean animals.
Rachel Walters
A great book to learn about sea creatures, as well as different moods we all experience. Beautiful illustrations. Published in 2015.
Karen
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A cute way to address when someone's having a moody day.
Colorado Buck
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
great read for understanding moods - as seen through the temperament of different animals.
Klwoody
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
beautiful illustrations. I thought switching back and forth between good mood animals and bad mood animals was confusing
The Campbell Family
A fun book about moods. A little overly illustrated, it didn't keep their attention as much as I thought it would!
Karla Winick-Ford
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story

kids LOVED it

BEAUTIFUL soft illustrations
Stefanie Kline
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! A nice way to talk about how feelings are ok, even the crabby ones. Reminded me a bit of how Mister Rogers would talk about feelings.
Hααlεч ♥ Fιѕнεя
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Interesting way to deal with a bad mood.
Rachel
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful illustrations with a nautical theme
Julie
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Cute examination of different moods presented with acceptance. Plus I adored the illustrations.
Barbara
Everyone has those days when nothing goes right and things are better off being left alone. In this imaginative and attractively illustrated picture book featuring tissue paper, paint and Photoshop illustrations, a parent points out that her offspring can be something of a crab on some days. Using several different sea creatures in funny ways to represent the child's various moods, the parent encourages the child to experience those emotions, certain that they will eventually change since moods ...more
Amy Holland
Popularity/appeal rating: 3.5

Quality rating: 3.5

In a one-sentence nutshell:
The illustrations were very pleasing to the eye, even though they weren't spectacular. Looked like the illustrator watercolor-painted over collage elements, so all the pictures had a translucent, filmy look. I really liked all the colors, too - light shades of coral, aquamarine, & sea green...all very beachy. Most of all, I liked the message that it's okay to be crabby - sometimes you just need time to get out of your fun
June
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-guy
The book illustrates different emotions comparing to sea animals, for example, crabby crab, silly jellyfish, mean shark, and mopey manatee. The best part I like is that when a child just feels like left alone, they can be a hermit crab and Mom will be one too and stay by their side until they feel better. When Little Guy feels a bit moody, we make a silly puffy fish face or do the octopus hug like in the book, which helps us a lot. Being able to learn names of sea animals is a plus too. The only ...more
Mary Lukas DeWinkeleer
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for many reasons---and so does my 3-year-old who's wanted me to read it to him every night for the past week. The illustrations are just gorgeous, and I love the message it conveys to children: everyone gets in bad moods and it's okay to want to be alone, but know that your mom and/or dad will be by your side through it all. Also, that moods change, so your little one can know they won't always feel as bad as they do in the moment. I also loved the opportunities this book gives ...more
Emily
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-2nd
Are you a jellyfish? An eel? A turtle? Or are you a crab? This wonderfully illustrated children’s book touches on how we all take on different feelings at one time or another. Some days we are a silly jellyfish that dances. Some days we are a mad eel that zaps. Some days we are a frustrated turtle that snaps. And some days we are crabby crabs. An addition that school psychologists and social workers would value having available in their school library, “You’re a Crab!” is a book that helps stude ...more
Lisa
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book about moods depicted by colorful ocean animals. It's not didactic at all, rather more of a playful look at the various emotions and moods that we all experience day to day. I particularly liked the last part of the book "But on really tough days, when you're not in the mood to play at all, you can be a hermit crab, and I can be a hermit crab. And we can sit in our shells side by side in the sand until you feel better. You can take as long as you need because I will be right here."

Rev
Jillian Heise
A cute story about the moods kids might get into, told through sea creatures. The illustrations are beautiful. A nice message of being there for someone through all of their moods and to help them get uncrabby. My middle school students thought it was too young for them though - they felt it would be better for little kids learning that sometimes we have unhappy moods.
Samantha
This book uses ocean animals/creatures to explore a wide range of emotions, with emphasis on grumpy/crabby moods.

The tone of the story reads very much like the parent-child books in which an adult narrator is reassuring a child of their unconditional love.

Tissue paper, paint and Photoshop illustrations. Great for classroom use or sharing one-on-one with PreK-2.
Amy Formanski Duffy
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-review
If you have a moody toddler like I do, this picture book is perfect. Various colorful sea creatures illustrate that it's okay if you're in a perky mood or a mopey mood. Moods change quickly, and your loved ones will be there for you no matter how you're feeling that day. Reassuring and amusing. It'll bring a smile to the face of your little crab.
Lynne
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and colorful exploration of all moods. You can be in a playful mood - like a dolphn, a mean one - like a shark, or crabby - well, like a crab. A wonderful message that you will be loved no matter what mood you are in today.
Natalie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the illustrations and the overall theme of the book - your feelings and moods are okay and will change. Was not a fan of the changing fonts. A child reading along would have a harder time with the cursive style font on some of the words.
Betty Byrd
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clear
Pictures are fun. Story explains different moods relating them to sea creatures. This would be a good book to read one on one with a child. The second grade children who I read this book did enjoy the story.
Cathleen Grissom
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
This book by Jenny Whitehead shows that sometimes it's okay to be a little bit crabby. The illustrations in this book are very engaging and bright, Whithead does a great job bringing life to her underwater world. I really enjoyed this book and its message.

• We're All Wonders
  • Max Attacks
  • The Big Umbrella
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • Diary Of A Farting Kid: The New Kid (Diary, farts, farting, funny comics, comics for kids, dorky girl, big nate Book 4)
  • Crabby the Crab
  • Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • A Color of His Own
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • Monster Trucks