Start by marking “Crybaby” as Want to Read:
Crybaby

Crybaby

Hush, hush! Rush, rush! When Baby cries, her family and neighbors try to stop her tears and help her to sleep. But all their rushing and hushing, tickling and rocking, and feeding and burping can't stop Baby's tears. Roy, the old retriever, knows what Baby needs to fall asleep—her little white sheep! In this rhythmic and soothing lullaby of a story, doggy knows best. Good ...more
Published August 18th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Crybaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crybaby

Anthony
On a quiet street in a quiet house the silence is broken by a baby's cry. Her wail wakes Roy, the old retriever, and he alerts the family. The baby wakes everyone in the house, and the neighbors next door. They all try and quiet the baby but nothing works. Roy knows what needs to be done, and after several times of ignoring him, the humans finally take heed, and thanks to Roy the crybaby no longer cries, and falls right to sleep.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story by Karen Beaumont.
The baby cries and wakes everybody in the house, and the neighbours too. Everyone tries, but they can't make the baby stop crying. No one will realize the dog, Roy, understand the problem better than they do. Fun illustrations for this cleverly rhymed story.
Cathy
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story about the special bond between a dog and a baby. If you are a dog lover, this just makes you smile!

I'm sure a child between 3 to 5 years old would find this repetition and rhyme fun to read. DS is 4 and he loved it!
Kelly
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very, very sweet book. The baby wakes up and cries and cries. Nobody can console her. The dog wants to, but is not allowed to.
Donna Mork
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The baby cries and wakes up everyone in the house and the neighbors too. Roy the dog knows the baby just wants his toy. Finally, he's able to give the baby the toy and she falls fast asleep.
Valerie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and cute and fun colorful artwork!
Trish
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, je
This book is about a baby crying and the dog being the only one who knows what the baby wants. The book is a good book for repetition.
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute Rhyming text about a baby crying and everyone trying to comfort the baby! The Smart Dog is the hero he gives the baby the wooly sheep its longing for to calm it down!
Beverly
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-dogs
There is an error in the final illustration of the dog sleeping on his dog bed, with a FULL bowl of dog food right under his nose. That bowl should be empty! What dog leaves a full bowl of food right under his nose, sleeping or not? None that I know of.
Hannah Hart
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Baby wakes up everyone when she cries. Everyone tries to get baby to stop crying and go to sleep. Only Roy the dog knows that she wants her toy. When she finally gets it she goes right to sleep.

This was a cute book. It kind of reminded me of the napping house. Each person that tries to get baby to sleep builds on the last person's attempt. I love that the dog knew all along what the baby needed to be happy.

I think kids with a new baby sibling would really relate to this. It might be good to read
Alexus Houfek
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary:This book is about a baby girl, name not given, who lives in a very quiet house. One night she broke the silence with many tears. She woke up everyone in the house, including her dog, named Roy. The story line goes with one person waking up to the babies cry and trying to guess whats wrong with her, which doesn't help. So another person wakes up and tries to help, which doesn't work either. The story continues with the baby waking up her dog, parents, siblings, grandparents, and even nei ...more
Edward Ventura
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book focus is on a baby crying and the reaction of people around the baby. The book encourages readers to have fun with reading aloud especially saying, "Burp, burp! Slurp, slurp! P-e-e-u-u-w-w!" Children will want to read this book again and again especially if they have a new baby or a dog in their home. The illustrations are amazing; especially the facial expressions of the dog. Geared for PreK-first grade this book would be an excellent read aloud when teaching onomatopoeia to upper pri ...more
Barbara
As those of us who share our living space with them have come to realize, dogs often know best. If the characters in this picture book had only listened to their dog, Roy, an elderly retriever with years of experience under his belt, they might have saved themselves a lot of trouble. Baby wakes up and begins to cry, and Roy immediately moves to bring her the stuffed sheep toy that she loves. But the adults who have been awakened dismiss his efforts and try all sorts of things to get that infant ...more
Dione Basseri
Eh. I may have just had too-high of hopes for this book, being a big-dog owner waiting on their first child. But this was just...pretty boring. The idea of a family being unable to understand why a child is crying, while the dog is completely aware, seems cute enough. But the text just didn't seem to flow all that well. I was more impratient for them to pay attention to the dog than amused at the misunderstanding.

Perhaps others will enjoy this more, but I do see that the Goodreads reviews are av
Melissa
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Possible ST themes: bedtime, babies, dogs, friends/family

This may be one of those titles that I like better once I've done it as a read-aloud in ST. It has repetitive noises that the children should like and I think they will enjoy the fact that it is the family dog that knows what baby needs to go back to sleep.
Samantha
A cumulative story in which the baby is crying and everyone is trying something different to calm the baby back to sleep. From the beginning, the family pet dog has it figured out, but everyone still insists on their own fixes before admitting defeat.

Vibrant artwork incorporates humor. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
Dawn
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, mock-cal
A baby cries and cries, and parents, sibs, grandparents,and neighbors all try something to get her to stop. Turns out she wanted her dropped toy, which the dog figures out at the start. Everyone scolds the dog though when he tries to help until he finally wins in the end. And what does he get? A bowl of kibble. This book reaffirms my belief that dogs are better than people :)
Juliana Lee
When baby cries WAAA WAAA, she wakes up the dog BARK BARK! Baby cries and wakes up mother, father, sister, brother, grandma, grandpa, and even the neighbors. No one knows how to get baby to stop crying… except the dog. Good boy! Now everyone can go back to sleep.
Rachel
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, children, 2017
Beaumont uses repetition and rhyme to create a solid story built around the family antics that occur when a baby wakes up crying. Luckily, the family dog knows what to do, though it takes the family running through all of their ideas before they listen to the long-suffering hound. This has the potential to work well with large groups for storytelling or one-on-one. Highly recommended.
Casey
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
I love Karen Beaumont. I wasn't sure about this one after the first read through but both my kids like it a lot. 4yo says "Waaa" every time and was saying, "No Roy, Down Boy, Baby doesn't want that toy" at dinner tonight. Another keeper.
Meredith
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mock-caldecott
Very annoying that nobody gave the baby her toy until even the freaking neighbors couldn't make her stop crying. The chorus could make a fun storytime readaloud, but I think for younger than my students are.
Jillian
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
What fun! It's full of rhymes and repetition, and would make a great addition to our "Pajama storytimes!"
Everybody thinks they know best, but leave it to the trusty old dog to know what his human *really* needs. :-p
Aimee
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-kids
Picture-book authors are pretty obsessed with puppies, but this book has the cutest, derpiest, sweetest old dog. He's the only one who knows how to calm down the crying baby in the middle of the night. Really cute.
Sharon Lawler
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
It does takes a family and neighborhood to calm the crying baby, but it is Roy the retriever who knows what to do. The expression on Roy steal every scene.
Beth
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
My daughter (age 3) LOOOOOOVED this book. We read it many, many times. It is a fun, repetitive book.
Angela
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun read aloud. Love the illustrations.
Lorelie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute little lullaby of a story. Very enjoyable.
Kendra
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome rhythm! Will be great for sharing in storytime.
Rachel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely cumulative book with a lovey text that progresses nicely to the solution.
Angie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Crybaby has a lot of repetition which will make it a good storytime read. I enjoyed the fact that the family dog knows best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Karen Beaumont is the New York Times bestselling author of many award-winning picture books. She lives in Scotts Valley, California.