Start by marking “On Your Marks (Byways, #1)” as Want to Read:
On Your Marks (Byways, #1)

On Your Marks

(Byways #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
On Your Marks: The Adventure Begins – Ian Johns has three sons, and the brothers don’t get along very well. Somehow, Ian’s plan for a family trip turns into a three-way race. Ewan, Zane, and Ganix take sibling rivalry to new lengths as they cross their homeland.

Three very different boys. Three very different roads. Three chances to fulfill their father’s hopes … and win.

WE
ebook
Published July 4th 2014 (first published July 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about On Your Marks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Your Marks

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of On Your Marks (Byways, #1)
Lexie
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
#TeamEwan

And not just because he's got to deal with exasperating younger siblings.

Quickly paced, snappy dialogue and energetic characters made this go by very quickly for me (granted its quite short, but everyone knows the shortest story can feel an eternity if its not engaging).

Welcome to Liberty, a magically polished America where the Postmaster becomes a golden eagle. This gave me a similar sort of vibe as Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (or the few I've read) in that magic just *is* and
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Initial thoughts:
The start to what I believe will be a fun, magical, and adventurous series of short books. I really like that at the end of the book is a 'game' that urges you to find things in the book that coincide with the state that this book is set in (Delaware). I believe each following book will be set in a new state and therefore sets the pace for a VERY long series.

This review was originall
Micailah
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
On Your Marks by CJ Milbrandt is a wonderful read for children of all ages.
In this book three brothers, Ewan, Zane, and Ganix are asked by their father to travel together and tour a land called 'Liberty'. Instead the brothers turn their father's request into a race to see who can finish touring Liberty first. The boys father has been married three times, his first two wives having died early.
I found all the characters very charming and easy to relate to, each with their own very unique personali
Lumin
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'On Your Marks: The Adventure Begins' is the first book in the Byways series by C. J. Milbrandt.

In this book, we're introduced to the three half-brothers who will be the main characters of the rest of the series, as well as to the rest of their family.

Ian Johns is concerned about the fact that his three sons get on so poorly, and plans to send them on a trip together across their country of Liberty, a cross between colonial America and mediaeval Europe.

But the intended trip ends up as a race am
Elza Kinde
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-the-family
On Your Marks by C. J. Milbrandt was an exciting start to the Byways series. The use of State Facts is genious. City names, state symbols, and famous sites are hidden within the story, which makes you want to read it all over again when you reach the end so that you can find them.

The story itself is filled with imaginative fantasy elements, stunning illustrations, and light-hearted humor that will keep kids turning pages. The fast pace, rich vocabulary, and loveable characters ensure that adults
Vanessa Morton
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction to the Johns Family

Book 1 takes us inside the home of Ian Johns, postmaster of Liberty, with magic in his blood that allows him to take the form of a great soaring eagle. His three sons are imbued with similar gifts, but their constant bickering wears on Ian and he decides to send them across country, each brother taking a different route with the goal of reaching the rendezvous point first. The next books will follow each boy's magical adventure.
Penny lurkykitty
I enjoyed reading On Your Marks. It is a short book that sets the stage for a series of books in which three shape-shifting brothers who do not get along go on a cross-country race to discover their country. The book was fun and easy to read. As soon as I finished I wanted to pick up the next one.
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Thanks!
Sara
I received this as a GoodReads giveaway.

So this story follows 3 brothers on their quest to get along.
I found this fun and entertaining. A nice quick read.

I would recommend this for middle grade but I'm sure anyone of any age would love it.
M.
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
Great chapter book for children - full of adventure. I won it in a contest and look forward to the others in the series.
Raven
is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2020
Terry Pearson
Jan 15, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Three Editions: On Your Marks by C. J. Milbrandt 2 9 Jan 07, 2016 02:54PM

• Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • No Time For Spectators: The Lessons That Mattered Most From West Point To The West Wing
  • Mikoto and the Reaver Village (Amaranthine Saga #4)
  • The Land of Stories Collection 6 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-6)
  • The Last Thing I Remember (The Homelanders, #1)
  • The Water and the Wild
  • Back Before Dark (Code of Silence, #2)
  • 12 Days at Bleakly Manor (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas, #1)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1)
  • Angel on High
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • A Simple Christmas Wish
  • Runaway Fate (Moonstone Cove, #1)
  • Uncommon Type
  • Angels on Guard (Threshold Series)
C. J. Milbrandt has always believed in miracles, especially small ones. A lifelong bookworm with a love for fairy tales, far-off lands, and fantasy worlds, CJ began spinning adventures of her own on the advice of a dear friend. Her family-friendly stories mingle humor and whimsy with a dash of danger and a touch of magic.

The Galleries of Stone trilogy [A magic master sculptor of Pred descent and t

Byways (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Aboard the Train: A Ewan Johns Adventure
  • Across the Line: A Ganix Johns Adventure
  • Down the Stairs: A Ewan Johns Adventure
  • Through the Notches: A Zane Johns Adventure
  • Back on Track: A Ganix Johns Adventure
  • Beneath the Torch: A Ewan Johns Adventure (Byways, #11)