Start by marking “ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times” as Want to Read:
ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times

ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times

The premiere graphic novel from underground sensation Andrew MacLean (Head Lopper), ApocalyptiGirl is an action-packed sci-fi epic!
Alone at the end of the world, Aria is woman with a mission! Traipsing through an overgrown city with her only companion, a cat named Jelly Beans, Aria's search for an ancient relic with immeasurable power has been fruitless so far. But when a
Published June 16th 2015 by Dark Horse Originals

To ask other readers questions about ApocalyptiGirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ApocalyptiGirl

Sam Quixote
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
It’s the post-apocalypse and a woman putzes around the desolate planet with her cat in her knapsack singing arias to herself. She’s trying to repair a large mech suit, which is important for no reason, while fending off cliched tribal survivors who are trying to kill her, also for no reason. That’s the whole book!

Phewf - it’s a real struggle to find a story in Andrew MacLean’s ApocalyptiGirl! Rambling and boring just about covers it for the script. It’s unclear why anything the woman’s doing is
Jan Philipzig
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just glance at the cover for a moment, and you know all you need to know about this book. The story does not add anything of interest - same old, I'm afraid.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
wtf did i just read? cute cat tho
Sesana
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say that I was quite disappointed by this one. The plot was far too thin to be satisfying, as was the world-building. The main character, Aria, is inconsistent. In one scene, she makes a thing about not killing someone, only to immediately turn around and kill lots and lots of other people. She's also incredibly loud for somebody who should reasonably be trying to keep from being detected. The super convenient aliens at the end felt like a cheap way to resolve a story that was floun ...more
Ferdy
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
The artwork was decent enough, and the relationship Aria had with her cat was quite sweet. But the story wasn't all that interesting and the few characters were flat and cliched. Just meh overall.
Elizabeth A
Mar 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, graphix, kids-ya
The thing I liked best about this graphic novel was the cover art. Oh, and Jelly Beans, the cat, is cute. The story made no sense to me at all, and I was bored for much of the reading. Also, do we really need the bad guys to be "tribal" in this day and age? Ugh. I did like the art, but found this one somewhat preachy, and having aliens swoop in for the rescue is an unsatisfying end to an unsatisfying story. Oh, sorry, was that a spoiler? Well, here's another one: skip this one.
Richard
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
There's a cat. So, that's cool.

I see the various influences at play in the art, but it just didn't jell for me. I found it particularly odd that Aria makes such a point at the beginning of not being a killer - right before spending the rest of the pages killing mercilessly and with apparent skill.

Whatever.

Kitty!
First Second Books
I read APOCALYPTIGIRL over the weekend and loved the art!
Aaron
It's hard to discount a handful of convenient holes in this sci-fi adventure of a young woman in search of tech in a land of weapon-toting ape men; but if one can, for a moment, step over or aside these errors, APOCALYPTIGIRL: AN ARIA FOR THE END TIMES is a rather nifty graphic novel.

There is no short of apocalypse comics, that's for sure. But what there is a shortness of, and the glaring industry-dearth APOCALYPTIGIRL aspires to supplant, is the presence of female leads whose value is enumerat
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, usa
A beautiful story about a girl & her cat, on a mission after the apocalypse. I loved the art style, it was vivid and conveyed so much emotion in so few panels. I'm also a sucker for stories with characters who love cats so this was a good choice.
Jack Stark
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
The art is great. But the story is rather lacking in a plot. It feels as though the last act was rushed.
Wing Kee
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Full of potential but messy and unfocused.

I've heard of this book for a while and I wanted to check it out, so when comixology had on sale, 'yes please!'. The art was the first thing that caught my eye, but how does this little tale read? Messy and lost.

World: The art is beautiful, it's stylish and the colors are very different for a post apocalyptic book. This is the best part of the book, it's captivating and very unique. In terms of world building, I can tell a lot of effort was made to creat
Becky Johnson
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great and unique read. The artwork was phenomenal and Jellybeans the cat love him!! It was short yet gave enough info on how they came to be where they are and who the other people are. Look forward to more from this author.
Dan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was really subpar. Plus the art was kinda funky looking. You will not really understand what is going on until the very end and its still "really that's it"?
Nancy
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.wordpress.com/

The tagline "A sci-fi epic about a postapocalyptic life...and cat ownership" guaranteed I was going to like this book! Wrong.

I picked up this slim graphic novel on a whim, for I liked the front cover, and I'm a sucker for cute cats. Aria is a young woman alone in a post apocalypse world, traveling with her cat Jelly Beans and singing opera while trying to reanimate a giant mechanical man, all while trying to evade tw
Lauren
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The art is PHENOMENAL. Story just okay. Bonus points for a cat named Jelly Bean.
Bogdan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
The story isn`t very good but I kinda enjoyed some of the drawings ... ...more
Neko Neha (BiblioNyan)
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times is a dystopian, science-fiction, stand-alone comic book written and illustrated by Andrew MacLean. The story revolves around a young woman named Aria and her adorable, white kitty named Jelly Beans. It follows them as they struggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment as they finagle a means of finding their way back home.

I positively adored this comic. The very first thing that grabs your attention are the illustrations. They immediately formu
Adriana
Short and sweet with a fantastic message that is very apt for current times.
I love the simple art and coloring in this book. It goes a long way in moving the story when not much is actually written or said.
l.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
How can a book with such an important role for a cat be so blah.
Joseph R.
Aria is an opera singer and cat owner who has been living on an earth-like planet for many years. She's searching in the ruins of civilization for a special relic of amazing power. If she finds the relic, she can return home. Problem is her main searching tool, a massive walking robot, is on the blink. She has to search on foot. That's why it's taking years. Also, the natives (two different, semi-human species) are restless and hostile. Aria makes the best of the situation, even though it is a v ...more
Jon Allanson
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, this one seemed to appear out of nowhere for me. I had just discovered a review of it online that made it sound very intriguing, right up my alley as it were, and then I walked into my LCS and there it was. The art is beautiful in its own unique way, and that grabbed me right away. The character of Aria, and her relationship with her cat Jelly Beans, is charming, and I fell for her right away, and wanted to keep reading to get to know her story. I did not expect that story to be nearly as ri ...more
Stewart Tame
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun! So a girl and her cat are on a mission on some post-apocalypse Earth. Honestly, the story is not the main point of this book--though it is nice--but rather Andrew MacLean's expressive artwork. I particularly like how he draws cats. One is torn, with this book, between reading the story at what seems an appropriate pace, and lingering on each page admiring the line and color work. Best to read it at least twice, then, just to be thorough.
Milkshakes
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the art and the relationship with the cat. Otherwise it was disappointing. There was no clear background on the world, the purpose of her mission, the importance of the other tribes or their goals. Which overall made it hard to be invested in.
Lesley
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The simplicity of this little stand alone graphic novel works in its favor, short and fun.
Krystal
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
JELLY BEAAAAAN
Chris
It's always funny to randomly pick up a book and more or less like it, just to be reminded that your friend reviewed it incredibly poorly (including you commenting on said review). Friend reviewed it at 1 star, which I think is a bit extreme, and I WAS going to rate it 4 stars, but it really doesn't warrant that either. The book is ok. It's basically a 22.5 minute cartoon in book form. There isn't much to it, just a fun little goofy book in a post-apocalyptic world. (On that note, every time I r ...more
Marla Haasz
Beautiful concept but too short of a comic and not concise enough for what MacLean wanted to achieve. Some pages felt so disjointed and jumpy that it made it hard to understand why certain things were written and why panels panned out the way they did. Idea introduced, idea introduced, idea introduced and no real pay off. I wanted to know more about The Grey Beards and The Blue Stripes and The One AND is it just me or was there a connection between the Blue Stripe boy and Aria?

Awesome art though
Samantha Beard
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cool story, but I wanted to know more about what was going on, I felt like it was a little too short. I appreciated the messages though. The idea that home is home no matter how terrible it can be. I would have liked to know more about Aria's dedication to her job, and why she was so willing to do what she did to complete her mission, even when she seemed to struggle with it so much. Art was fun, reminded me a lot of Adventure Time.
ABQ Graphic Novel...: May 2018 Apocalyptigirl 3 5 Jun 20, 2018 03:07PM
  • Shade, the Changing Girl Vol. 2: Little Runaway
  • Ladycastle
  • Rust Vol. 3: Death of the Rocket Boy
  • Old City Blues
Massachusetts based comic artist, Andrew R. MacLean is the creator of the SNIP SNIP, Head Lopper, and Daruma. His work can also be found in Department O, Colonial Souls, Meatspace, Outlaw Territories, Bad Karma, and others.