Start by marking “Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook” as Want to Read:
Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook

Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook

There are good recipes and there are great ones—and then, there are genius recipes.

Published April 7th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Food52 Genius Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food52 Genius Recipes

Start your review of Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Genius recipes surprise us and make us rethink the way we cook.

I'm not really feeling that with this cookbook. I love the Food 52 blog and really thought this cookbook would be outstanding. There are a few of the recipes I will try including Nigella Lawson's dense chocolate cake. I'm wishing I had chocolate in the house right now for that one. Michael Ruhlman's Rosemary-Brined Buttermilk fried chicken caught my eye too.

This cookbook to me is definitely not a beginner book. It's fun to look at th
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

"Genius recipes surprise us and make us rethink the way we cook. They might involve an unexpectedly simple technique, debunk a kitchen myth, or apply a familiar ingredient in a new way. They’re handed down by luminaries of the food world and become their legacies. And, once we’ve folded them into our repertoires, they make us feel pretty genius too."

Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook is written by Food52.com’s executive editor Kristen Miglore. Each of the featur
Lisa
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
There are some cookbooks you check out from the library and you think...this looks good, or I might want to try making that. This is one of those cookbooks you check out from the library and you think -- I should probably buy this and make all the recipes. Yup. That good; reminds me of Dominque Ansel's "Secret Recipes."

This book is a collection of perfected recipes; I don't recommend reading while you are hungry.
Kristin
Jan 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed-ng, cooking
Received email from NetGalley that I was approved for this book yesterday, April 6th at 3:04pm. Try to download today, April 7th at 9:30am and it is already archived! This was the cookbook I was looking forward to most as I have been following Food52 on FaceBook for years. Truly disappointing and deceiving marketing. Not a happy camper (cook?).

Patty
I know many people don't believe you can read a cookbook, but I did read this one. Every page and every recipe. I made a few of them - my favorites were an apple cake and porridge.

This is a library book and I kept it for the three months that I was allowed to check it out. I plan to borrow it again and make a few more recipes.

I will continue to resist buying my own copy, although this book is calling me.
Nora St Laurent
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kristen Miglore is the executive editor of Food52 website. She says, “A genius recipe surprises us and makes us rethink cooking tropes. They’re handed down by luminaries of the food world and become their legacies. They get us talking and change the way we cook. And, once we’ve folded them into our repertories they make us feel pretty genius too!”

A few of these recipes made me feel good at the fact I could create something so yummy and elegant looking. I tried the No Knead Bread by Jim Lahey. Th
Maggie
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot.

Yesterday, I made a batch of the spiced red wine, and the Rao's meatballs, and the no-knead bread (which I'd made years ago), and the Marcella Hazan tomato sauce (which is a staple in our house). Happy to have all of those recipes in one place.

Also, I wrote a bit about the book on my blog (http://www.magpiemusing.com/2015/12/t...

"Last night, I climbed into bed with a Christmas present: a copy of Food52 Genius Recipes. I wasn't reading it straight through, but jumping ar
Lynne
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So many keeper recipes from this cookbook, and I've owned it all of a month. Poached scrambled eggs are almost crepe-like ribbons. The chicken thighs with lemon came out the best I've ever made, crispy skin and perfect centers, and I'll be using this method going forward, it's that easy and good. The tomato sauce recipe has been in my repertoire for awhile, and it's the easiest thing in the world. But you know me and my penchant for desserts: the chocolate mousse, the dense chocolate loaf cake ( ...more
Will Mego
Updated to add story...
-------------
Some really interesting and different recipes in this one. Several are almost revolutionary in their claims. Broccoli cooked for two hours, butter made from corn water, etc. What I've tried making has been good... but not amazing. Still, for the serious cook, this is probably a must-read, but probably not a must-own.

To update, one of the dishes is an out-there version of carbonara, by a famous chef, which I pointed out to my wife, who shrugged and mentioned th
Bonnie Brandt
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the most awesome cookbook I've seen in a long time. The recipes are classified as "genius" recipes because the have a surprising ingredient or technique that really sets it apart.

The recipes are not complicated and don't require any difficult to find ingredients. They are gathered from different cooks and cookbooks. The best way I have to describe them is normal recipes with a twist.

I can't recommend it more
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Beautiful to look at, lovely photographs and layout. Recipes too fussy for me (not much of a cook,) but my foodie/fearless cook husband has found a few he's dying to try.
Cheryl
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hm. Nope. Too hoity-toity for me. Too NYC, too, telling an anecdote about serving guests three-egg plates in the evening, after midnight....

Also, $35 for 100 recipes? When the whole internet is free?

Besides, I invent my own hacks, thank you.

Granted, I'd never heard of Food52, or most of the contributors to this, before. But I don't care, anyway. A book that includes such messages as this, from someone named Marcella Hazan, "I can describe simple cooking thus: Cooking that is stripped all the way
Maurice Duharte
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic cookbook!! Collection of recipes considered genius that actually are. Each one with a nice write up about the recipe and who or where it came from. I've cooked about a dozen of the recipes, and all winners. 2 thumbs up!
False
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-drink
I like the Food52 group, and I've found good recipes through them. Notice I said, "good." Not "genius." I made their banana bread that the author wrote poetic over. I used really fresh ingredients including the flour, baking powder, etc. and it was just ok. Genius is my mother's old banana bread recipe which still sets the stand. I made their olive oil granola. It was ok as well, but not genius. Ina Garten holds the record on that one. Easy enough to assemble. Again, super fresh ingredients to w ...more
Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
Whether you’re a home-cook or chef, you will find this cookbook to be one of your favorites, and often reached for. There are a hundred recipes that are tasty, creative, and will change your normal “go-to” cooking. It is compiled of delicious, information, and techniques that anyone would find useful for in the kitchen. Without a doubt, the recipes within the pages will strike up a conversation, and satisfied palate, when served to your family or guests.

I received this cookbook from Blogging for
kimberly
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
i hadn't known about the Food52 blog before i had gotten this book, but have now made it an oft frequented site as i meal plan for the week.

i'm fairly certain that all of these recipes are available on their site, but i still loved this book because 1) i love and adore physical books and operate in a physically visual way, 2) the pictures are lovely and matte on the paper, and 3) i love good food.

browsing their site is kind of annoying with how often the term "Genius" is thrown about, but whatev
Julia
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes I read a cookbook & it counts. Any cookbook that includes Nigella Lawson's dense chocolate loaf cake, Rao's meatballs and Marcella Hazen's 3 ingredient tomato sauce (the best spaghetti & meatballs ever!!) rightly deserves the word "Genius" in its title. Bravo! Num num num num... ...more
Julie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
The cover states, "100 recipes that will change the way you cook." That's a very lofty promise. Maybe I am in the minority but I was less than impressed with this cookbook.
Doris
The title is exaggerated, but some intriguing sounding recipes and techniques are to be found.
Robin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of my choices for the January 2018 Cookbook Book Club meeting at my library. We have about 15 members so there weren't enough copies of this one title so we added in 2 other Food52 books: Baking and the Food52 Cookbook. Overall, the group seemed to really enjoy the book and the recipes they chose. There were 13 of us at the meeting so we got to eat over 13 different recipes from 3 different books. A great night was had by all!

I plucked this one off the shelf once I knew most members
Caitlin Hawksley
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Pros: Perusers will be drawn to the beautiful, moody, natural lighting of the photos. Food52 has a name for itself in the blogging world, and with a title like "Genius Recipes," it will be tempting to add this cookbook to the home collection without vetting the recipes.

Cons: "Genius" implies recipes that are tested to perfection, no modifications necessary. I tried seven recipes over the course of my three-week library checkout, and none of them were solid as written. Some of them were downright
Erica
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't know what it means to have "read" a cookbook, but during this pandemic I've decided to go through my cookbooks more methodically. Instead of making a recipe here or there, I'm actually reading the introduction, and trying to be more systematic in making (and recording) a bunch of recipes from one cookbook.

Genius Recipes has been a go-to for me for a long time. The recipes tend to be simple but delicious, often with unique insight into flavor combinations or cooking techniques. A few of
Lindsay Merrill
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I was kind of disappointed by this book.

The pictures were beautiful, the formatting was nice and useable, and there were 7 or 8 recipes that I copied down. But overall I didn't think of the word "genius" when I read most of these recipes. Many of the strategies that were labeled "genius" are things I've come across before. Likewise, more than half of the recipes didn't have anything particularly "genius" about them at all, though they may have been good recipes. My disappointment may have been a
Lindsey
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This was a fun cookbook to read, but the two recipes I've tried so far haven't been as amazing as promised. The idea is that this is a collection of amazing recipes that are different from the norm and that have become viral sensations online. Meh. Most of the recipes are very fussy and require a lot of steps; the vegetable dishes are hour+ recipes and that just doesn't work for me right now. I did, however, find a lot of recipes in the dessert section that I want to try. Maybe I was just readin ...more
Leah
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The photography in this cookbook is absolutely stunning, and I love the headnotes and even a few of the recipes. However, a few of the recipes I've cooked have not turned out well, and there's plenty that are too intimidating to attempt! There are a some standout winners (like the no-knead bread), and still many recipes I'd like to try.
Tlwinky
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid collection of tasty recipes.... but I’m still trying to figure out why this cookbook was titled “Genius Recipes”? The recipes were simple and tasted good, but not to the level of flavor I was expecting with such an elite title. I found nothing exceptional or superior in this cookbook in comparison to my normal recipes and cooking.
Anna Catherman
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, books
Genius Recipes may not change the way you cook everything, but it definitely will challenge your culinary opinions and give you ideas for concepts and combination you'd never dreamed of trying before. Full also of scientific and historical nuggets, it's a nice read-through sort of cookbook. BraveTart still reigns supreme in this category for me, followed by The Food Lab and Genius Desserts (I'm a big baker!), but Genius Recipes is good, too; just not great. I have it out of the library for anoth ...more
Carolyn Busch
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the extra genius tips at the ends of recipes and also the history and the why as to the recipe inclusion in this book. However, quite a few recipes ask for 1 cup of olive oil or fat( Broccoli Cooked Forever, Meatballs, Black Pepper Tofu). A good cook will know how to adapt the recipe, but reader be warned. Beautiful food photos.
Marty Halyburton
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tips & Desserts

Loved the writing and the wide variety of recipe authors. The tips are outstanding and will change the way I cook, but the book includes a disproportionate number of sweets and desserts.
Linda
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Will Try Some of These Recipes

The best thing one can say about a cookbook is that the recipes look easy enough to make and that the results seem to be wort the effort to fire up the stove. This is one that I will actually use.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cranbury Public L...: January 2016: Food52 by Kristen Miglore 1 3 Jan 27, 2016 07:37AM

• Baking: From My Home to Yours