Start by marking “Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou” as Want to Read:
Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou

Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou

“Words mean more than what is set down on paper,” Maya Angelou wrote in her groundbreaking memoir I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Indeed, Angelou’s words have traveled the world and transformed lives—inspiring, strengthening, healing. Through a long and prolific career in letters, she became one of the most celebrated voices of our time.

Now, in this collection of sage
Published October 28th 2014 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow in the Cloud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow in the Cloud

Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. It can be read, cover to cover, in a very short time. The answers to all life's meaningful questions can be found inside. Before I began seriously reading it, I randomly flipped to a page and what I found brought a smile to my face and made me cry, all at the same time. Beautiful!
Kate
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A selection of Maya Angelou’s beautiful thoughts and quotations organized according 13 different themes. The title is very fitting for the sentiment of the book.
Victoria Moore
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou" is the most meaningful and heartfelt book I've read so far this year. Broken up into various chapters from "Childhood and Parenthood" to "Womanhood" the black and white photos included, along with Angelou's quotes and poems, gave me a total experience in the presence of a great writer.
Some poems such as "I was born to work up to my grave But I was not born To be a slave", stayed with me long after I read it. Through the years I've l
Christina Despain
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, spirituality
I believe that each of us comes from the Creator trailing wisps of glory. -MA
If you are always trying to be normal, then you will never know how amazing you can be.-MA
Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women. -MA
There were times when it was said that I had more determination than talent. This may be said of many. It may also be said that life loves the person who dares to live it. -MA
The idea of overcoming is always fa
Wellingtonslp
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book which was a compilation of many of Maya Angelou's most famous bits of wisdom by topic area. Her son put the book together after her recent death as a tribute to her and to honor her. Some of my favorite bits of her wisdom include:
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
"When people speak with brutal honesty, what is most remembered is the brutality, not the honesty."
"If one has c
Andrea
There is so much inspiration to be found in the pages of this book! Maya Angelou has always made me stop and think better of myself and others no matter their circumstances, where they came from and where they are going to. A few quotes I just love and work at living by:
"If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." (p.84)

"If one has courage, nothing can dim the light which shines from within." (p.69)

"Our young must be taught that racial peculiarities do
Tara B. Reading
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read I read it in less than a hour. This is a compilation of Maya Angelou’s most impactful words of wisdom. Some of the chapters include Love & Relationships, Literature, Spirituality, Grace, Courage, Emotions and Self-Esteem plus many others. This is the perfect book to lift your spirits when you’re not feeling your best. Dr. Angelou gives the reader that old school wisdom that quite frankly, is simply hard to come by today. I am so grateful for books like this because it fills me w ...more
Denise Mullins
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Would never have selected this on my own; it was a book club pick. Mercifully short (less than 100 pages including photos), this collection of Angelou's musings reminded me of Hallmark card messages or Chicken Soup homilies better used for teachable moments to middle school students. Not my cup of tea.
Amanda
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of quotes from Maya Angelou, lots of wisdom and good advice.
Kenya Wright
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read. Lots of wisdom. I think the problem for me is that I thought it would be poetry. lol
writer...
Inspiring collection of insights with responses resonating in me as I read.
Mindy Kannon
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great little book filled with amazing wisdom!
synequeen
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
quick read, if you are looking for some of maya's best quotes. great for reference and citations
Jordyn
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book rainbow in a cloud by Maya Angelou was by far one of the best books I have ever read. When you read her books its like you can hear her voice and her presence. This book is a tribute to some of the best work shes done, it has excerpts in here from I know why the cage bird sings to letter to my daughter. This book contains advice and how she dealt with certain situations. Her writing is a true work of art and I recommend it to everyone.
Artemisia Hunt
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little volume that is a mixture of sometimes uncanny wisdom and wry, but playful humor, from the late Maya Angelou. An added benefit: some wonderful photos from the long life of this beautiful and inspiring woman.
Amy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short book contains a collection of sage advice, humorous quips, and pointed observations pulled from Angelou's works on topics ranging from Childhood & Parenthood to Black Identity to America to Spirituality and Grace to many others.

Zac Sigler
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually buy or ask for quote books as gifts, so this is the only one I have other than a book of Ben Franklin quotes. I would say that Maya and Ben are two of the wisest Americans who have shared their wisdom. This book was the perfect way to spend a snowy day in January.
Emily
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very quick read and a lot of advice and quotes to live by. It was really great.
mis fit
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Sure, this strays into chicken soup for the soul territory, but sometimes you need chicken soup. (Metaphorically. Vegan 4 life.)
Marie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: individuality
"Prejudice is a burden which confuses the past, threatens the future, and renders the present inaccessible."

"Whites have been wrong all along. Whites were not needed to explain the working of the world, nor the mysteries of the mind."

"Blithering ignorance can be found wherever you choose to live."

"Always be concerned when a naked man offers you his shirt; a person can't love you if he or she can't love him or herself."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what y
Riley Vermilya
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I picked this little gem up at the store while searching for a few of my favorite things for a good friend's birthday bag. I ALWAYS purchase books used OR new and go with a theme of treasures unique to the receiver. My best friend happens to be a proud black woman and we saw Maya's amazing documentary film last year and this book perked my interest with the movie connection for my friend since she is not the book addict like myself.

I also own most of Ms. Angelou's books and needed this quick rea
Grady Ormsby
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Rainbow in the Cloud by Maya Angelou is a pleasant book. I ordered it online assuming it was a volume of poetry. It turns out that it is a book of aphorisms, quips, observations and quotes from Angelou’s vast bibliography including autobiographies, essays, children’s books and poetry. The book is divided into thirteen sections each with a theme. They range from “Black Identity,” “Art and Literature,” “Spirituality,” “Courage” and “Womanhood.” I took my time with this book reading only a few bits ...more
Tass
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much wisdom in this book for every occasion in a woman's life. I think this is a guide to have with you at all times and especially when in dire need. It truly made me feel that there is a sister out there who cares and knows. And that is amazing in itself. Very short read but highly impactful.
Pre. Gilkey
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
This was a wonderful book, finished it in 30 minutes. It had a lot of Maya Angelou's most famous quotes, along with her inspiring wisdom and outlook on life. Everyone must read and continue to share the beautiful nature of this legend. Thank you Lord, for creating such a beautiful soul and thank you for the gift you planted in her to share with the world.
Jasmine
This is such a beautiful book to read....

For in just one sitting, I was entirely captivated by the author’s words of wisdom about Life, Family, Community, Womanhood, Courage, Grace, Spirituality, Love, and so many other things....
Shirley Conley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good and fast read. All quotes from Maya Angelou on - Childhood & Parenthood,Black Identity, America, Community & Culture, Love & Relationships, Art & Literature, Spirituality, Grace, Courage, Emotions, Self-Esteem, Living and Womanhood.

A "should own" book.
Michelle
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and elegant
Sandy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Maya was an amazing woman. I loved that this was a short read with so many great quotes. Took less then 1/2 hour to read.
olaszka
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
they're kind milking it, having these quotes published as a book but hey, there's some undeniable wisdom in it.
  • Cloud Pharmacy
  • A Woggle of Witches
  • The Road Between
  • Meant to Be: The Lives and Loves of a Jersey Girl
  • The Witches' Supermarket
  • Big Birthday Bash (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #2)
  • The Blue Ghost
  • Witch Poems
  • How Would Buddha Act?: 801 Right-Action Teachings for Living with Awareness and Intention
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom
  • Allure
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was ...more
“You must take the good that people do and put the bright light on that good, but human beings can never withstand such light without showing their shadows and warts. All mortals have their shortcomings and weaknesses.” 3 likes
“Stand up straight and realize who you are, that you tower over your circumstances. You are a child of God. Stand up straight.” 3 likes