Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

Perfect for fans of Emily Giffin and Jennifer Weiner, this bright, funny debut from a fresh voice in fiction offers a delicious take on love, family, and what it means to build a home of one’s own.

Sarina Mahler thinks she has her life all nailed down: a growing architecture practice in Austin, Texas, and an any-day-now proposal from her loving boyfriend, Noah. She’s well o
Published March 31st 2015 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.
3 no 7 My local library had it as an e-book to checkout through their Overdrive program. Check you library for online books.

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

'Every woman has one. That name you Google at two o’clock in the morning. That intoxicating connection that somehow never solidified into anything real; that particular memory you still visit every now and then, for that guaranteed hit of pure, sugar-packed dopamine. It’s that story that starts with “There was this one time” and ends, reluctantly, with “but I guess …”'

Katy Perry is totally playing at the background.
image
So, this was a total chick lit. And although I had some minor problems w
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Contemporary-A-Thon read # 6: (doesn’t apply to a challenge) - COMPLETE!

This was cute! Not the best thing I’ve ever read, but it held my attention the entire time and even made me tear up once or twice. Would definitely recommend if you’re in the mood for a southern-y chick-lit book!
Myrna
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
I’ve had this book for awhile and finally got around to reading it. The first 3/4 of the book kept me interested and engaged. While it was slightly predictable, it was still enjoyable. Besides the romantic side of the book, there was also a lot of emotional stuff. The author did a great job of making you feel what Sarina was going through. Towards the end of the book though, I just wanted it to end. Sarina was annoying me. Maybe it was just me! LOL. 3.5 stars!
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Random House, Ballantine, and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Bethany Chase’s witty and razor-sharp, swoon contemporary debut, THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY, will keep you laughing and entertained as every grandmother, woman, teen, and girl can recall that one guy who slipped away. . what could have been. A schoolgirl infatuation . . . where is he now, and more importantly, does he remember you? Yum!

Loved the opening:
That name you Google at two o’clock in
Jessica
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 24-ebooks, romance
Sherwood Smith
Mar 30, 2015 added it
Shelves: fiction
Provided by NetGalley.

What a voice! Bethany Chase drew me in immediately. The opening is quoted in many other reviews,and in the blurbs; let me pull up a couple more quotes that stood out.

Here's a bit about the boyfriend who got away:

His face still has that openness that invites you to slide a chair next to him and tell him all the stories even your best friends don't know. Isn't that a thousand times more visceral than a catalogue of his hot features or his sexy voice?

And she understands about
Brandie
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance, read-2016
I loved this book until about 75% and then I got a little frustrated with the back and forth and lack of communication. Still a great story and an author I'll be auto buying in the future!
Cheryl
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I picked up a copy of this book because of the references to authors, Emily Giffin and Jennifer Weiner. This book started out good. So much to the point that I had to stop reading for the moment to quickly go to my co-worker and have her read a certain passage in relation to when Eamon appears and Sarina's friend, Nicole sees Eamon after he has been gone for a long time. The conversation goes like this:

Nicole is peering at Eamon like Gollum at the Ring. "God damn". "He got even hotter. I can't b
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
One of the best things I've read in a long while. The heart of this story beats a steady rhythm through the trials of relationships, both romantically and personally with friends and family. This novel reminded me of the blissful feeling of losing your conscious mind and falling head over heels into the pages of story that refuses to let you go. I cannot recommend this one enough.
Esil
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Random House and Netgalley for an opportunity to read an advance copy of a The One That Got Away. The title of this book really says it all. Sirana -- a young architect -- is dating Noah -- a corporate lawyer currently based in Argentina. Seven years earlier, Sirana spent what she thought of as a very special night with Eamon -- an Olympic swimmer -- but Eamon disappeared immediately without an explanation. Then Eamon reappears, and the rest you can imagine but I will avoid any spoi ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
After reading An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. It left me a huge book hangover and reading funk. I ended up DNF-ing three YA books. I admit, it took me awhile to read anything, so here I am, totally not expecting a Chick Lit book to sway me away.

It’s been forever since I read a book from this genre. Its so refreshing to be back. The One That Got Away's premise and the story itself speaks to me. This is one of my favorite tropes ever. And I think it's been done well, though there are couple
Leah
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you ever ask me the question who my favourite author is, I’ll tell you Sophie Kinsella. But, if you ask me what my favourite book is, I’ll tell you Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. It’s one of the only novels about cheating that I can stand (and I say this in every review I write that blurs the lines in regards to cheating). It’s a hard balance to get right, so when I heard about The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase, not only did Emily Giffin’s novel Love The One You’re With spring to mi ...more
Michelle
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charming book I gobbled up in one sitting on a plane. I have an ARC, which doesn't have the final (amazing) cover art, so I was going to say that it is perfect for Emily Giffin fans (but even better ;) ). Then I see that Emily Giffin has a blurb on the cover! Perfect match! In this, protagonist Sarina is an about-to-be married architect who ends up working on a project with an ex. While this might sounds like standard fare, what sets this book apart is the sharp, funny writing, the Austin settin ...more
Andrea
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
"Every woman has one. That name you Google at two o'clock in the morning. That intoxicating connection that somehow never solidified into anything real...."

This book starts out SO good and then peters out somewhat by the end. Still, it's a fun ride and will leave a smile on your face.
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

The opening lines of this book totally pulled me in...
Every woman has one. That name you Google at two o'clock in the morning. That intoxicating connection that somehow never solidified into anything real; that particular memory you still visit every now and then, for that guaranteed hit of pure, sugar-packed dopamine. It's the story that starts with "There was this one time" and ends, reluctantly, with "but I guess..."

Sarina is an up and coming architect in artsy Austin. On the cusp of success
Mary Kubica
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I simply can't say enough good things about this book. The characters are absorbing, the story is fresh and unique. I couldn't put it down. Bethany Chase is a master of words, and her descriptions of characters, settings and emotions are lush and palpable. THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY will have readers swooning. Sweet, sentimental and steamy all rolled into one. Not one to miss!
Stefanie
Welp, I have a new favorite adult author. This book was perfect. I loved Sarina, I loved Eamon, I loved Sarina's ridiculous cat and her insane troupe of delightful friends. I loved the way that Sarina grew, treated her friends well, and was always her own person, no matter what was happening in her love life. This book made me cry and it made me swoon.
Stephanie Tibbs
Mar 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"And suddenly, I think of Noah and how much he hurt me, and the fact that, even after he promised me we'd work together to sort out the issue of kids, he still just assumed I'd do what he wants. And then through a convoluted and self-serving mathematical equation inside my head, Noah hurting me somehow equates to me being entitled to spend the night sleeping in a bed next to the only man I've ever wanted more than him. "

No. Ju
Jen
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Love triangle, cheating and superfluous comparisons abound. So not the book for me.
Jamie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⬆ to 4. This was the first Bethany Chase of mine and I'm curious to read Results May Vary now! I finished a very heavy book earlier and needed something lighter in between. This was the perfect choice. The first 75% I was absolutely hooked, speed reading and devouring. After that, things got a little overly saccharine, but I still really enjoyed. ...more
Estelle
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I could not put this one down. Thoughtful, fun, and full of crazy tension. Plus it was set in Austin. So much to love.

--- complete thoughts first posted on Rather Be Reading Blog.

Sarina. She’s hungry two hours after she eats. (I can relate.) She’s creative. She is protective of her independence. She’s also completely confused about her path, and I don’t blame her. How many times have we made the safe choice that makes us somewhat happy because we are too scared, too apprehensive to sw
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
After blazing through and loving Results May Vary, I immediately went and picked up Chase's first book. I was not disappointed.

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase stars Sarina, who is a fiercely intelligent and driven architect (by the way, this was one of my favorite parts of the novel), and is almost engaged to a wonderful man, Noah. But an old flame from the past, Eamon, reappears when Noah is gone on a long extended business trip, and Sarina starts to realize that perhaps her perfect rela
Ilariafiamma
Jul 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Soporifero.
Carla
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carla by: Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
Shelves: 2015
well, wasn't that just lovely.
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
4.5/5 stars

The One That Got Away is a Chick Lit/Adult contemporary romance.

The narrator is Sarina a 31 year old woman who has her own architecture business in Austin Texas. Danny is her funny/gay roommate. She is almost engaged to Noah (who is working out of town).

The premise of the story is that 7 years before she had a fling with Danny's good friend swimming star Eamon.

Now Noah is out of town and Eamon is moving back to Austin. And he wants to hire Sarina for a project.

One thing I wish the au
Jaime Arkin
The One That Got Away magically appeared on my doorstep courtesy of Ballentine Books, and while the summary sounded interesting I added it to my to be read pile, but thought I’d get to it when I could.

Then I saw the lovely Ginger at GReads raving about it, and I know she and I have similar tastes in adult fiction so I bumped it up the list and I’m incredibly happy I did so.

MM Finck
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chase may be a new voice on the scene, but she will most assuredly be a long-running one. The Austin/SXSW setting was perfect. Sarina, Eamon, and Noah were utterly human. Flawed and magnetic. I felt everything Sarina felt. The dilemma of being a talented, ambitious woman with a career she is killing herself to build, butting up against convention and her own desire for children and a husband hit me very close to home - which is a good thing. Chase wrote this woman so expertly that I felt that I ...more
Debbie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked the story, the characters and the setting (Austin, Texas). However, you could definitely tell it was a debut author. It was pretty good until the end when I felt like I was at a tennis match. Watching the characters go back and forth, does she love him, does he love her, blah, blah, blah. It was just getting to monotonous at the end. I think if the author had shortened the book, it would have been a much better story.

Thanks Random House and Net Galley for provid
Joy Matteson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me in the best possible way--I was expecting light hearted characters with a light hearted setting, but instead received witty dialogue, multi-dimensional characters who want more than easy romance, and a heroine you can't help but sense the strain she's under. Yes, it's a familiar storyline of will they or won't they--but it's rarely told so with such utter charm and fragility. I'll read more by this debut author.
Recommendation of book pls! Leave it below:) 1 1 Aug 04, 2018 12:41PM

• The Status of All Things
  • The Balance Project
  • Hot Pursuit
  • Rome in Love
  • Intercepting the Chef (How to Score, #1)
  • Storming the Castle
  • Must Love Babies (Must Love Babies #1)
  • Hard To Stay (Hard #2)
  • The Decoy Date (The Wedding Date #4)
  • Best of Luck (Lucky #3)
  • Right Wrong Guy (Brightwater #2)
  • The Breakup (The Jordan Brothers)
  • America's Sweetheart (Real Love, #5)
  • Come Away with Me
  • My Favorite Mistake
  • Breathless (Yoga in the City #1)
  • Stepdog
  • The Unprotected
Writer of love stories, designer, and eternally hopeful A-cup. Author of USA Today bestseller THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY and the upcoming RESULTS MAY VARY. Welcome to my page... can I get you a drink?

“A warm, witty, and wise novel, The One That Got Away announces the arrival of a great new voice in fiction.” — Emily Giffin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The One and Only

“Death is not the way they show it in the movies, with the dying person holding on just long enough for one last embrace, some final words of love or absolution.” 6 likes
“One man's desperate is another man's persistent.” 2 likes