Start by marking “God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator” as Want to Read:
God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator

God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator

Ph.D. expert in astronautical and aeronautical engineering provides good news for believers — new scientific research supports the idea that the universe was created by God.
Published April 14th 2015 by Worthy Books

To ask other readers questions about God of the Big Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God of the Big Bang

Dustin Voliva
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2015
Let's be honest, this book had a slim chance of being good. It's thesis is ridiculous.

In this short book you're given several of the terrible ideas common to most apologists: 1. science doesn't know; therefore god. 2. It has to be my Christian god because the Bible states Jesus fulfilled prophecies and various archeological findings support various things stated in the Bible. Which, technically, would validate any religion. Ie: the Odyssey and the illiad described real events and real people, t
Kimberly Schimmel
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this book is written by an actual rocket scientist, it is accessible to the reader without a Ph.D. Dr. Leslie Wickman shares her love of science and the stars with her readers. She also explains why she sees no incompatibility between her faith in God and her scientific investigation of the universe.

Having some engineering training myself, I also never had problems reconciling faith and science. Like Wickman, I believe something called "truth" exists and we can learn it. We also believe
Richie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ok, so as a Christian I'm not looking to books like this for a scientific proof of God's existence, faith takes care of that. That being said this book is a whiff when it comes to the science of things. It has two good chapters. One on how many sources of the bible have been found and how it is the most validated history book ever. If it wasn't also a religious text everyone would take it for the most complete and factual history book ever written. Two, the chapter on the goldilocks zone is well ...more
Charity Andrews
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Wow!!!! Ok, SMART PEOPLE UNITE!! This book is so cool. Despite the appearance,we are not talking about a God of evolution. This is a book that covers many things from the odds of the earth surviving being even 1% farther from the sun, to UFO’s and much more! Simply intriguing!!!

Leslie is astronaut, rocket scientist, engineer on NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope and International Space Station program, and many other things that are insanely awesome!! She really knows her stuff and had done her resea
Yalitza
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
God of the Big Bang is probably a must-read kind of book. Leslie Wickman writes with such passion and preciseness I thank her for writing this book. You will certainly find accuracy in every single detail you find and applaud her for her excellent fidelity that modern science truly affirms the creator. She puts things to words that I cannot and I appreciate owning a book like this. Modern science is no foe to faith and I assure you that you will enjoy this logical filled book as much as I do.
Thi
whit
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit-owned
As a Christian, this book added to my simple, personal belief that there's too much perfection and order in the universe for it all to have come into existence by chance. The author provides many examples of some of the wonders of the Earth and the universe, and highlights the impossibilities of there not being a creator. And to some other reviewers who offer the multiverse explanation, how is that explanation any more viable at this time than a creator?

The book comes up a star short of five due
David Moody
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in science.
Recommended to David by: Worthy publishing
You have probably never heard of Leslie Wickman. She is a scientist who has written a very interesting book called "God of the Big Bang". The thesis of the book is to reconcile science and the Bible instead of positing two different worldviews. Though I don't agree with all of her conclusions, she does a good job of explaining her position of logic and faith in layman's terms. She lays out all the different views on origins and shows that only the earth has all the right qualities for life desig ...more
Eileen
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Won as a First Reads Goodreads Giveaway. I found the book very interesting and thought provoking.
Cince
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator by Leslie Wickman as a Goodreads Firstreads promotion in exchange of an honest opinion.

First I am exceptionally impressed with the education and work positions held by Dr. Leslie Wickman and then even further impressed that she competently managed to explain in laymans terms all of the scientific methodology used in a way to emphasize the existance of God. In the end, however, people will see and hear whatever "proof" is in
Joan
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very good introduction to the issues Christians frequently have of reconciling faith and science. Wickman advocates a cycle of new scientific discovery followed by an adjustment in our interpretation of Scripture. She shares her own story of having a crisis of faith when studying science, then her own investigation into the reconciliation of the two. She wants people to come to a place between a six day creation and a totally naturalistic view. She goes through the evidence and argumen ...more
Charissa Wilkinson
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads Program for the purpose of a fair review.

Overview: Can God and science co-exist? Let’s join Dr. Leslie Wickman as she seeks to prove her stance that, yes, they can.

Likes: We get to see the Pascal’s Wager, those who have converted to a belief in God due to the preponderance of evidence, and a nifty visual aid of the odds that we got her by way of an accident, or chance.

Dr. Wickman kept the technical terminology to a minimum.

Dislikes: The b
Dan
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, astronomy
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Worthy Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

Modern sciencists have been trying for many years to prove that God does not exist. By testing various hypothesis and proposing theories, scientists believe that they have arrived to the evidence that God is not needed.

Dr. Leslie Wickman disagrees.

In her book God of the Big Bang, Dr. Wickman lays a foundation of why she knows that God created all that we see and how science is proving more and m
907mom
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator in exchange for my honest review.

Leslie Wickman doesn't bring anything new to the table concerning this topic, but she does a wonderful job of listing the points where we all as humans question our existence. She has brought scientific theory and the ideas of 'great thinkers' to the pulpit, then cross weaved the science and religion into a fact fabric of faith.

This book proves one point very well, we are all hu
Chelsea
I received this book from Worthy Publishing in a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

Leslie Wickman delves into some of the issues between faith and science that often plagues Christians. She presents her thesis in favor of a Creator and then uses science to back up her thoughts. Wickman appears to be well-educated and seems to have done her research. I think that she makes valid points but I just found myself wanting more information and asking more questions.

One of the pros to this book is Wickman
Kylie
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Honestly I feel like this book would do more good promoted towards Christians who need to come to terms with science than at the scientific community looking for a path to Christianity. I felt like the arguments broke down at some points, most notably with the argument that having an eternal external Creator is more logical than the existence of a multiverse. Since by acknowledging that the Creator is external to the universe you've already acknowledged a second "somewhere", thus the existence o ...more
Mary Poston
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book during a very hard time in my life. I was questioning how science and God could coexist. This book, paired with Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler, really helped me understand how science and God can not only coexist, but compliment each other in SUCH a beautiful way. This is coming from someone who has been atheist the majority of their adult life.

I highly recommend these two books TOGETHER if you ever find yourself questioning your beliefs, or if you just want to st
Rewa
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To anyone
Recommended to Rewa by: No one
Over the years, I've read lots of articles & books on the origins of Earth, The Bible & Christianity and I have to say for such a small book, < 200pgs, Dr. Wickman has made all 3 complex subjects into thought-provoking simplicity. Just like "The Goldilocks principle" she mentions in CH 7, this book wasn't too much info or too little, it was just right, even if someone hasn't read too much things on the "how, where & whys" of life & God. She did a beautiful job and I can't beli ...more
Theodene
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Comparing the Almighty God of the Bible and the notion of earth being created by the “Big Bang”, Leslie Wickman pulls together the scientific reasonings and evidence that both can coexist. We don’t need to choose one over the other, but both God and science is here on Earth and God of the Big Bang explains a lot of it. Please visit my review: https://becomingabookworm.wordpress.c...
Emily Dockall
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Super informative and written so that the reader understands the content easily. She articulates "arguments" well and full of Grace, keeping the Gospel at the center. Leslie Wickman is a brilliant mind and loves the Science of God. She does a great job of reconciling the two for the reader. Recommend for those struggling with this battle between science and God.
Trey Nowell
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a bad book by any means, broken down well for the average person and not too over top of their heads. Most everything in this book I have heard many times before in debates and read by other authors. Nonetheless, I think it is good for someone that has difficulty grasping too hard of concepts (which some addressed in this book are complex but not gone into great depth).
Trinity
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wanted to do some extra credit work before the college semester starts next month, and thought why not delve into something that compares two critical perspectives in society? Shoutout to the author for the interesting comparisons between religion and science, and for opening the doors to a new way of thought and acceptance...
Maybe religion and science can go hand in hand after all...
Joey Peacher
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy but scientific explanations from someone who struggled with science and faith but learned to embrace both. Chapters on origins, the Bible and the exact requirements for life on earth are exceptional.
Richard S. Elliott
Review God of the Big Bang

Thoughtful analysis of the interrelationships between science and faith. Dr. Wickman gives many references in support of her thesis which refutes that science are mutually exclusive.

John
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sue Bastiani
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's so good!
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of facts, statistics, well cited quotes, thought provoking moments, all stuffed into an easily portable easy focus enjoyable read.
Peg
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well done and logical arguments for the existence of God. Faith and science are NOT mutually exclusive!
Dave
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, a well-reasoned series of essays integrating science and belief in the Judeo-Christian God. The most convincing scientific arguments center around the ideal conditions for life as we know it in the universe and how tiny adjustments to timing, spacing, location, etc. would effectively prohibit us from existing.
Kristine Johnson
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend. Great for teens too.
Margaret

• A Mere Christian
  • Canton Elegy: A Father's Letter of Sacrifice, Survival, and Enduring Love
  • Unseen: Angels, Satan, Heaven, Hell, and Winning the Battle for Eternity
  • The Cowboy's Bride
  • Emerald Eyes of The Sea (Emerald Trilogy, part #1)
  • The Legend Awakes
  • The Dark
  • Shielding the Suspect (Truman Brothers #2)
  • Mestengo: A Wild Mustang, a Writer on the Run, and the Power of the Unexpected
  • The Ballad of Jessie Pearl
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • Faith and Reason: Searching for a Rational Faith
  • After the Execution
  • The Last Con
  • Screenshot
  • Esme Dooley
1 follower
Former Lockheed Martin corporate astronaut, rocket scientist, and engineer on NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope and International Space Station programs, Leslie Wickman, Ph.D., is currently chair of Engineering and Computer Science as well as director of the Center for Research in Science at Azusa Pacific University. Stanford University–educated Wickman also works as a research scientist with governme ...more