Start by marking “The 5 Choices: Achieving Extraordinary Productivity Without Getting Buried Alive” as Want to Read:

The time management experts at FranklinCovey share their five critical techniques for avoiding distractions and paying focused attention to our most important goals and tasks in our daily lives. Every day brings us a crushing wave of demands: a barrage of texts, emails, interruptions, meetings, phone calls, tweets, blogs--not to mention the high-pressure demands of our ...more
Published December 30th 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The 5 Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 Choices

Start your review of The 5 Choices: Achieving Extraordinary Productivity Without Getting Buried Alive
Emma Sea
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I recommend this book if you have never heard the story about the rocks, the sand, and the cup of coffee, and you are unfamiliar with the four quadrant approach to task management. Otherwise, there is nothing new here. I found this surprising, as it's a 2014 book.
Viraj
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: self-help
Steven Covey's 7 habits... is the basis for this book.
The 5 Choices are:
1. Act on the Important, Don't React to the Urgent
2. Go for Extraordinary, Don't Settle for Ordinary
3. Schedule the Big Rocks, Don't Sort Gravel
4. Rule Your Technology, Don't Let It Rule You
5. Fuel Your Fire, Don't Burn Out

Good about this book is that after reading it, it motivates folks to make changes starting with small changes. However, a lot of places the feel one gets from the book is such that one thinks whether the
Collette
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a facilitator for The 5 Choices to Extraordinary Productivity. Although this "brief monograph" is a great companion to the workshop, it certainly stands on its own merits. Quick read, but packed with brain science and wisdom.
Emily
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nerds, flailers
Shelves: reference
I love these "how to make a to do list" books, so that's my bias.

This one is a blend of classic Franklin Covey (there's a refined version of the 4 Quadrants) and David Allen's GTD workflow, also presented with "Zen/Eastern wisdom" metaphors. There is still the "fit the big rocks in the jar" analogy but this one focuses on processing the endless streams of less important gravel that clog up our lives. I mostly liked it because it argues for the value of putting everything on your calendar, and
Briana Kelly
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book. There is very little waffle and it is straight to the point on how to increase your productivity in everyday life. This was based on:
1. Decision Management (acting on important, not urgent and go for extraordinary, not settling for ordinary)
2. Attention Management (scheduling the big rocks rather than sorting gravel and utilizing technology efficiently)
3. Energy Management (fueling your fire rather than burning out).
Andrea Falkner
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also went to the class. The class is motivating and helps you organize your career and home life. Very positive!
Elizabeth Chadsey
I definitely get into business books easier when they've got a personal, memoir-style tone. This one is more instructive. That being said, the 5 Choices are valuable ones; for ME, I'd need to re-read and highlight, as if I'm studying for a test in order to really absorb the information. That same absorption happens naturally when I'm really interested in the ~story~ in a book of this same genre.
Kiona Meade
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. Great tips on how to improve productivity. They are covered elsewhere in the world, yes, but I think this book was pretty simple and straightforward--it didn't complicate things.
Jim Razinha
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of Stephen Covey's stuff, and this is FranklinCovey redux (it should have been titled "The 5 Habit Choices of Highly Successful Extraordinarily Productive People"), but it was recommended and I read it. Fortunately, there is little substance because nothing of this is new and it's a quick read. Most of these books are three page tracts blown up with fluff. This is a single page flyer. Let me save you some time:
- Don't get sidetracked from what's important (Act on the Important,
Fred Zimny
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
To be amazingly productive.

To be truly productive, focus on important but non-urgent tasks.

Be productive and complete important work by defining roles and setting achievable goals.

Create a schedule to complete important work in the upcoming week.

Streamline your decision-making process so you can focus on what really matters.

ut although you can mine this source if you have a job you value and enjoy doing, that alone
Jenna Van Volkenburgh
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book did a great job of explaining time management, balancing your time to get the most out of it. It redefined extraordinary productivity, which redefines what our time is worth. I felt that it was harder to apply to personal or student time management, but then again it was classified as a business and economics book, so no hate. It was well written and easy to read. I highly suggest reading "The 7 Habits" first.
Lara
Nov 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Asked to read this for work. It can be summed up as follows: manage your time wisely. Skip this schlock.
Phil
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-blinkist
Read on Blinkist:

Nothing I haven’t seen elsewhere, but like the focus on quadrants. Probably not a system that can work for every job, but a good place to start when looking to claw back your time to be more productive.

Highlights:

“To avoid distraction, organize your tasks using a time matrix, a productivity tool consisting of four quadrants, each accounting for a different portion of your time.

Q1 includes important, urgent work. For example, this is the time you spend handling emergencies or
Prakash
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
What an amazing book!

One of the key concepts is the Master Task List (MTL) which I had created in Google Sheets last December prior to reading the book. I designed my MTL with a Priority column (integers from 1-20) so I can order the list appropriately. I've since added a tab for my roles and goals. I've also added drop down lists for the Roles and Priority columns, and filters to avoid typing, cutting and pasting, and so I can easily sort my list. The MTL serves not just as a things to do list
Julie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career, business
The book is roughly divided into 3 parts - Decision Management, Attention Management, and Energy management. I didn't find the last two particularly interesting or innovative (about the use of to do lists, how to handle emails and organise yourself for Attention Management, and the usual exercise/eat/sleep well and maintain strong relationships for the last one). Decision management on the other hand I found more interesting although the ideas are probably not that innovative either :-) I liked ...more
Kyle Farris
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought
Highly, highly recommend! I plowed through this within a couple of days. I was absolutely delighted by the amount of research done to make this as good as it is. There are few books that do such a fantastic job succinctly combining all of the most important lessons in optimizing personal performance. Great read!

5-Star: Everyone should read this.
4-Star: Everyone in this specific field should read this.
3-Star: This was a decent read for the specific field, but there are better options.
2-Star: It
Jiri
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book makes a great companion to the 5 Choices Planner. Which I preferred to the FC planner for this one is considerably cheaper yet of a good quality print, comes in one piece with wire binding and offers great monthly pages and plenty of space for note taking.

The five concepts of choice when implemented, and this is where the book doesn’t offer much of practical advice, will support you in achieving sustainable productivity with the choice of the extraordinary.

When it comes to progress
Denton Peter McCabe
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would give this three stars for myself, a lot of this information is obvious and redundant, however. . if you really feel you need help with time management, this is a helpful book. Pick it up and put this information into practice!!I would recommend this for managers, business consultants, and employees who wish to gain a little edge over their peers. It's worthwhile and a rather quick read.

Now that I have this Q4 activity out of the way. . .on to Q2 shit.
Spela Trefalt
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for prioritizing what is truly important. I’ve been living by David Allen’s GTD system (or trying) for the past several years. In my teens, I was a big Stephen Covey fan. This is to say, nothing here was completely new to me. Still, it was good to be reminded, to renew commitment to keep asking myself what matters most to me and how to act accordingly.
Franxilicious
Nothing really new or earth shattering to me but more so a compilation of things I have heard before. Everything came together nicely with the five choices interconnecting with each other in many different ways. Definitely have taken away some practical tips which have already increased my time management and productivity at work.
Christian Anderson
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book had some good ideas and principles. The only other book I've read that is similar to this is Atomic Habits by James Clear. While this book was fine I just got so much more out of Atomic Habits and am looking forward to rereading it.
Viv
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The 7 habits is one of my fav book of all times!! Some folks might find these books dull. But it’s SO relevant to my life now and I can truly see why some folks are highly effective and productive at what they do and why some are not.
Amanda
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Nathan Hansen
Shelves: nonfiction
I read an abridged booklet edition of The 5 Choices.
Mihai Zoican
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Much more palatable and applicable to my life than the originak 7 Habits book. Good stuff.
Josh Burgess
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible, non-fiction
Nothing mind-blowing here.
Andres
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even at basic level, this is a highly recommended book. I liked more the chapter about Energy, this is a must to recover energy with tired teams.
Ryan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical, concrete steps for increasing productivity. Highly recommend.
Carlos Flores
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy solid handbook on what we already know on how to be productive, with useful tips on how to do it.
Cara
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I've already heard most of this stuff before, but there were still a few really good tidbits in here. This is the book that said that, if you're writing down things that you've already done just so you can check them off, you're trying to give yourself dopamine hits. (p. 39)

The basic premise is that most people spend at least 40% of their time doing stuff that doesn't matter. If you can reclaim even a little bit of that time, you can be amazingly more productive. Ideally, if you minimize the
Tengisbold Khurelbaatar
Great advice, but it gets repetitive. Gary keller's One thing is better choice in my opinion
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World
  • The Successful Author Mindset: A Handbook for Surviving the Writer's Journey
  • Het water komt
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
  • Spelldriver (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #6)
  • Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet
  • Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life
  • How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job
  • Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut
  • Managing the Millennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today's Workforce
  • Amuletto Kiss (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #5)
  • Witchy Sour (The Magic & Mixology Mystery, #2)
  • How to Skimm Your Life
  • Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn
  • Manifesting Change: It Couldn't Be Easier
  • Summer of Love: A Time Travel
  • Psychedelic Bubble Gum Boyce & Hart, the Monkees, and Turning Mayhem Into Miracles
“Every life has the potential to be lived deeply. —William Powers” 0 likes