Start by marking “Poems about Cats” as Want to Read:
Poems about Cats

Poems about Cats

 Cats have long been an inspiration to artists and poets. In this heartwarming collection, artist Yasmine Surovec of catversushuman.com presents an illustrated anthology of literary adulation and poetic tributes to the always-alluring, ever-beloved cat.

From Shakespeare to Blake to Rosetti to Wordsworth to classic nursery rhymes, cats have been celebrated in poetry for as l
Published April 7th 2015 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Poems about Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems about Cats

Francesca
4.5/5

L’artista Yasmine Surovec, nota per le strepitose, divertenti e uniche vignette e illustrazioni di Cat Vs. Human, ha illustrato Poems about Cats, una bel volume che raccoglie poesie e filastrocche di ogni tempo, naturalmente a tema gattesco.

Ogni omaggio poetico è accompagnato dai disegni, a volte serie altri ironici, dell’artista, per celebrare questa misteriosa e adorabile creatura pelosa che da sempre è stata musa di scrittori e artisti, creando una commistione di serio e faceto, antico e
Lindsay
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.**

I loved this quirky little book filled with cat art and really beautiful and funny poems from through out literary history. I think this would be a lovely gift book for a cat lover or a poetry lover. A great little pick me up book
Wayne McCoy
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
'Poems about Cats' is a collection of, well, poems about cats. It's illustrated by Yasmine Surovec, the creator or Cat vs Human, and the drawings are really cute.

There are a wide range of poems here from Ancient Egypt to nursery rhymes. There are works by William Blake, and Yeats and Shakespeare and Dickinson to name just a few. Edward Lear Curiously omitted is work by t.s. eliot, but perhaps that is cat ground already well trodden. There are illustrations for every poem, although in ebook form,
Carolyn
I love these classic and recent poems about cats with wonderful, adorable frame worthy illustrations of all sorts of adorable cats. Loved this book on a dark afternoon with my Maine Coon kitty sitting on my lap.
Donna Brown
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like cats (no surprise there) and I like poetry, so it wasn't a huge gamble to take a chance on Poems About Cats, a Cat vs Human book from Yasmine Surovec.

This is a great volume with a range of well chosen verses accompanied by lovely illustrations. The poems as a whole cover the many facets of cat behaviour and their personalities: from the loving cat we cherish right down to the naughty and mischievous cat who'll steal your dinner and let the dog take the blame.
Here's a particular favourite
Crittermom
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For as long as they have lived as companions, warming hearts and laps, poems have been written celebrating cats. Cat vs Human: Poems about Cats is a collection of poetry, classic and modern, devoted to our feline friends and accompanied by Surovec's charming illustrations. A few of the many wonderful authors included are Shakespeare, Blake, Wordsworth, Yeats, and Dickenson. The anthology also includes a number of beloved nursery rhymes, such as The Owl and the Pussycat and Three Little Kittens. ...more
Sara
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

These are my cats, and I love them. Actually, I love all cats. I don't think I've met a cat I haven't loved. I've been called a crazy cat lady by more than one person... just this week. What I'm getting at is that I really like cats.

So, really, it should be no surprise that I'm a fan of Cat vs. Human. Or that I was a big fan of this book.

Poetry's not really my thing, but cat poems? That's something I can get behind. I found myself smiling and laughing at several of them, because they're true, an
Amy Softa
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Net Galley for an honest review.

I saw this book pop up on Net Galley the other day and being it was a ‘read now’ title I decided to take a chance. I now recognize the artist, Ms. Surovec, but at the time did not put two and two together to come up with the creator of many an online meme about cats that I’ve enjoyed.

This is a fairly short book and there isn’t a whole heck of a lot I have to say about it. I did find it enjoyable and lovely
Tracy
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, poetry
This is a charming collection of poems ranging from literary poets from different ages to nursery rhymes with a theme of "cat" illustrated with Surovec's trademark, adorable cat drawings. It's nice to see the range of poetry, different from the usually more humorous books on cats, including I Could Pee on This. It's just cute to see a collection of poetry about cats, especially to see how fascinating (and adorable) people found cats through the centuries and to see even the literary poets write ...more
Maria
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations of cats. Fun poetry. The poems are mostly praises of cats and nursery rhymes. I would've added to this compilation the cat metaphor that appears in "Prufrock" :3

"… The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seei
Elizabeth
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
*I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This is a delightful collection of poems about cats, illustrated by the wonderful creator of the Cat Vs. Human webcomic. The choice of poems is broad, and the illustrations perfectly suited. They're not just little marginal illustrations, either; in one sense, I might describe this as a book of graphic poems, in the vein of a graphic novel. It would make a lovely gift! I also think it might be a good introduction to poetry in a
Katrin
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Poems about Cats is exactly what I expected it to be: A book with poems about cats. I really enjoyed the illustrations that supported the poems. Also the selection of the poems was quite good. The book features poems from different time periods, authors and countries. I always appreciate when a book is diverse in its selection. I probably will use some of the poems in my class especially. I think that also people that don't usually like poetry collections could enjoy the book. After all it's all
Tina
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Thank you to the publisher for allowing me access in Netgalley.

I was so excited to find a book of poetry about cats I could share with my friends. But when I started reading it was all . . . classical poems most of us already know. Where were the new, written by the author poems? Nowhere to be found, sadly. So two stars 'cause the poems were a disappointment since I'd read most many times before. Big thumbs up on the fun of the art though. Some of them really made me smile.
Lili
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
From Netgalley For Review:

OMG this book is adorable, I absolutely love this artist's style and I am always happy to see it. I was a little sad because I was thinking they were poems that she had written, but they were just classic cat themed poems. Don't get me wrong, I am always happy to see Owl and the Pussycat, but other than that, meh. These poems are all well and good, I was just really hoping to see the artist's quirky style come out in some cat themed poems!
Kiara
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I kept thinking that the drawings reminded me of Cat vs. Human, and behold, it's the same artist!
Cute, fun read. Some of the poems read really well, some of them, didn't really make sense to me, honestly. But nevertheless, a fun and short read! The illustrations are still spectacular.

Thanks to Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the eARC.
Dana
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute little book full of poems about cats
Their hunting and eating, their games and their spats
By Dickenson, Shelly, Wordsworth and Keats
Some anonymous nursery rhymes, illustrations quite neat.
If you enjoy cats and poetry too
this catalogue of poems should be pleasing to you.
Jeimy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Loved the illustrations!
Brooke Van
I chose this book as another fun book to read during their free time on a rainy day or something like that. Or if we need time to relax as a class, I could read this book for fun.
Belinda
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cats
A lovely book full of poems about cats. The accompanying cartoons are completely adorable. It's very very sweet.
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm not a huge poetry person, but this was cute and would make a great gift for people who loves cats and books!

Received from NetGalley.
Melissa
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, arc, ebooks
This is a collection of poems from various authors all featuring cats. They are accompanied by some really cute illustrations.
Samantha
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Really fun artwork but I didn't really like the poem selection.
Shari
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of cat poems. I've read many of them before, but to have them all collected in one place with some marvelous illustrations was a treat.
Saretta
Mar 08, 2015
Jackson Sadler
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Yasmine Surovec loves kitties. She is the artist behind the popular comic blog and book Cat vs. Human. Originally from Manila, Philippines, she now lives in Phoenix, Arizona, with her husband, son, and a menagerie of animals.