Start by marking “Coffee Gives Me Superpowers: An Illustrated Book about the Most Awesome Beverage on Earth” as Want to Read:

For coffee lovers and those who love them, Coffee Gives Me Superpowers is a fun, graphic design-centered book focused on one of the world's most addictive and beloved substances—coffee.

If coffee is the foundation of your food pyramid, then this is your book. Inspired by Ryoko Iwata's popular website, I Love Coffee (en.ilovecoffee.jp), Coffee Gives Me Superpowers is overflo
Published April 7th 2015 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Coffee Gives Me Superpowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee Gives Me Superpowers

Start your review of Coffee Gives Me Superpowers: An Illustrated Book about the Most Awesome Beverage on Earth
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delight for any coffee lover! This nonfiction book contains a great deal of information on this popular beverage, and the snarky tone provides just the right amount of humor. The illustrations also add depth, as well as a whole new level of enjoyment. The book is divided into different sections, so there is, for example, a chapter on coffee consumption statistics, a chapter on bees and their connection to the coffee plants, a chapter on the “Joe” who inspired the slang term “Cup of Joe,” and s ...more
Yodamom
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Sip it slowly. This Book is highly caffeinated.”
A simple richly colored graphic book on the scene of coffee and more. Clear easy to rad graphs fill the pages, cute characters and true science.
Beer is good for coming up with ideas, coffee is good for get productive with those ideas, too much of either one is not good. Who would have expected this comparison ? How about when is the best time to drink coffee ? Yes, there is a science behind that and I went with it. It was right. Drinking coffee at
Tammie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I received a free digital copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I'm a sucker for book covers and as soon as I saw this, I knew I had to read it! This is a fun, quirky book that contains cute illustrations and various fun facts/trivia about coffee. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves coffee and wants a short but cute and hilarious read. I'm definitely buying this book for all my coffee loving friends.
Siqahiqa
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Sip it slowly. This book is highly caffeinated." ☕️☕️☕️

Coffee is my favorite beverage; thus, I think this book is dedicated to me 🙈😂 This book is super cute and hilarious. There are many interesting facts about coffee and presented in colored illustrated fun graphics that please my eyes.

💭 Why is coffee called a cup of joe?
💭 What is the best time to drink coffee according to science?
💭 What are the six worst types of coffee drinkers?
💭 What does your favorite coffee say about your personality?
Kristina
Coffee Gives Me Superpowers by Ryoko Iwata is a fun, informative read. It's illustrated by The Oatmeal, which also makes it extra funny with somewhat rude jokes. Iwata shares interesting facts about coffee, particularly that the cup and saucer came about because in the 19th century (and earlier), coffee was poured from the cup into the saucer, and slurped from the saucer. I love that image.

I have only a medium amount of enthusiasm for coffee and not a very sophisticated palate. I think my Count
Beth
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun little read, with some neat facts to share with others! Perfect for the coffee lover in your life!
Lindsay
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.**

I read this adorable book today and fell in love with it. I will be putting this under everyone's tree for Christmas next year. This is chock full of insanely cute illustrations and lots of info. Nothing heavy or boring. You are not going to read this and be an expert. Its just a little book to bring a smile to a coffee lovers day.
Mayda
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a quick read, but it packs a lot information as well as humor in its pages. For instance, I learned that about 100 cups of coffee will kill you, that honeybees like the nectar from coffee flowers, and, because I drink my cup of joe black, I identify with the Dark Lord of Black Coffee. Also, you can thank Josephus Daniels, the 41st Secretary of the Navy, for giving coffee its nickname when he banned booze on ships and substituted coffee as the drink of choice. Many more fun facts and ...more
Claudia
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished the book in a matter of a few minutes and dare I say I may want a black coffee in the morning? Learned a lot more than I expected from an illustrated quick read. I'll definitely be purchasing this for my quick read bookshelf. Big ups to Ryoko Iwata for actually mentioning how coffee can worsen anxiety. I think some authors forget to mention that.
Megan Wright
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Illustrated book of fun facts about my favorite beverage. All of my regulars are gonna love hearing my new and improved coffee knowledge...
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For some reason, I read the whole thing aloud to myself, using different voices. So now I'm thinking this will probably end up as a bedtime story for my future kids.
Julie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Humorous, informational little tome with great artwork and fun factoids about coffee. A great gift book for java addicts!
Melissa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful little book to read over a cup of coffee. Funny and aesthetically pleasing - why not read a flowchart for "should you put coffee in your face right now?" or take a coffee drinkers personality test? Loved the honeybee coffee addicts and global coffee consumption facts too (hurray for the west coast and Scandinavia!) Read it now if you heart coffee
gabbyisreadingnow
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars because it was mostly a picture book with information about coffee sprinkled about.

It's a good book, and I did learn some things about coffee I didn't know before, but I wish they had given you more information than illustrations.
Lexie
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: coffee enthusiasts
Shelves: read-in-2015
As an unrepentant caffeine addict (or as I now know to call it - a caffeine aficionado, because coffee isn't addictive), I was prepared to love this book even if it turned out to be little more than lists upon lists of statistical data about my favorite beverage.

But the author of Coffee Gives Me Superpowers has made this experience into so much more. Mark this down as the first time in a long time I've laughed so hard I cried while reading a book. Mark this down as the first time I've ever laugh
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r, ng
This book is filled with lots of neat coffee trivia, statistics and even a few recipes and quizzes in a beautiful collection of info graphics. Generally speaking, I love info graphics! I actually had some pretty interesting conversations stem from the contents of this book. The following topics were the most interesting to me (although the book covers a lot more): beer vs. coffee, honeybees and caffeine, where does the phrase "cup of joe" come from, what different professions prefer to drink and ...more
Jonathan
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book any coffee drinker will absolutely LOVE!! It teaches in an informative and creative manner while making you laugh out loud repeatedly in public....I did this repeatedly while reading this book.

I was orignially drawn to the title but am VERY impressed with the book as a whole. I am going to buy a copy for myself and one to lend out to my coffee addicted friends.

5/5 stars!!

Note: I recieved this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Jen Brown
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
Definetly the book for those that love coffee and want to have a good laugh. With plenty of things you didn't know about your favourite beverage. Very easy to read, I'd say you could finish it within 10 minutes, but still satisfying. The best of all, the comic you'd find at the end of it "If coffee were my boyfriend", I was literally crying. So recommended. Plus, you can annoy your friends for days with what you've learnt from it.
Tabby Shiflett
4.5 Stars
Hilarious! This book is a great gift idea for coffee lovers and perfect as a coffee table book. There's lots of fun and interesting info and even some picture guides on coffee beverages for beginners. The illustrations are pretty cool too. It ended too soon! Also, you should drink a cup while reading this...

Net Galley Feedback
Joel
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-copy
A fun, albeit scant little comic book, featuring Matthew Inman of the Oatmeal. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it - part of that is that most of it was published online already, so I was familiar with it.
Morgan Wagner
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
If you are expecting a ridiculously funny comic, this is not the book for you.
It is an illustrated book of coffee facts for the coffee lover. But It is still wonderful and worth the read for any coffee drinker
Kathleen
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I wish I could tag people in Goodreads reviews because I want to credit Emily Sholly for reading this with me in a single sitting in an aisle of a bookstore
Lauren Jones
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
It's a book about coffee... Of course it gets 5 stars! :-)
Cherie Chigama
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny, informative. Quick read. Fun graphics.
Ben Truong
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Coffee Gives Me Superpowers: An Illustrated Book about the Most Awesome Beverage on Earth is a collection of fascinating facts collected by Ryoko Iwata about the wonders of coffee, which are beautifully illustrated in informative infographs created by Matthew Inman.

Full Disclosure: To say that I am a great lover of coffee would be the greatest understatement since the beginning of the cosmos. Therefore, to say that this book review might be a tad biased would equally be such an understatement.

Iw
Roshni
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
I picked this up because of three reasons: the catchy title, the 4+ Goodreads rating, and the short length (just 96 illustrated pages).

Ryoko Iwata brings together an eclectic collection of facts and trivia about coffee. A one-time read, it is quite appealing to coffeecionados. It hardly takes any time to go through, so coffee lovers, feel free to give it a shot.

On a sidenote, it contains a teeny snippet about Black Ivory Coffee that is just yuck! Enough to make one give up coffee for life! 🤢🤢

Pirata
I don't drink coffee but I loved the illustrations and said, well, why not? Just for the fun of it. And who knows I might start drinking coffee considering the superpowers it gives you! Also, I really need a motivation boost. So, if it'swilling to give me that, I don't think I can resist it longer.

Anyway, this was short, cute, and informative. I feel like I know so much about coffee now that I could impress all my coffee-addicted friends!
Hannah Gies
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fun book! I loved the pictures and random coffee facts. It made me smile and taught me things I didn't know about coffee! The graphs and quizzes were fun, too.
The only thing that kinda made me second guess it was at the end several of the sources for material were wikipedia, LOL. Anyway, it was fun.
Jen
I like infographics. I like coffee. This is a book of infographics about coffee. Once I managed to pull it up on my laptop (due to the color and the font, I would not recommend trying to read it on your Kindle), I finished it in 20 minutes or so. Pleasant and amusing but somewhat repetitive with its facts.
Deddy Mahyarto
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is AWESOME!!!! Must read (or have) for coffee enthusiasts... Blend of illustrations and writings which encouraged you to stare and digest every page completely... I can read this book over and over and over again...
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • Lady Stuff: Secrets to Being a Woman
  • Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants
  • How to Die Alone: The Foolproof Guide to Not Helping Yourself
  • The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances
  • letters to the person i was
  • The Little Book of Coffee
  • The Little World of Liz Climo
  • A Map Is Only One Story: Twenty Writers on Immigration, Family, and the Meaning of Home
  • My Ideal Bookshelf
  • How to Live a Good Life
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • The Tiny Book of Tiny Pleasures
  • The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life: How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between