Start by marking “Sushi for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Sushi for Beginners

Sushi for Beginners

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  67,803 ratings  ·  1,466 reviews
Sushi for Beginners has all the right ingredients for a thirtysomething novel. The thirtysomething girls are there, looking for a better job, a better man, ANYTHING other than what they've already got; there are men to die for and men you wish would drop dead, preferably in agony. And these "so-real you can pinch 'em" people live their lives in a funny, thrilling, sad worl ...more
Published November 2nd 2000 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Sushi for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sushi for Beginners

·  67,803 ratings  ·  1,466 reviews

Start your review of Sushi for Beginners
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p. 51

The idea of a trashy mid-2000s chick-lit about the magazine industry sounded incredibly appealing given my current mood. I've been devouring trashy reads like a trash hurricane whirling through my bookshelves. Even better, it's set in Ireland, where I've finally been, so now I feel like I can appreciate the descriptions and the setting even more, because I've actually been to Dublin! Whee!

Marian Keyes is most famous for her Wa
Lisa
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, top-author
Just what I needed right now...this is a pure comfort read. I needed a comforting, funny, dramatic, traditional, feel-good read...and that's what I got!
Perfect for this time of year when you're really stressed out and just want to read something totally absorbing and fun...with a little bit of seriousness to keep it real.
Marian is the best and I have probably read nearly all her books now but I need another one to take me into Christmas...a Christmas one would be fab!!!
Liz
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't say this was a great book. It's another one that I managed to read on planes and in airports but wouldn't make time for reading it when I wouldn't otherwise be bored to tears.

I agree with other reviews here that the characters are not developed. In many cases, as with Jack, Lisa, and even Ashling, the characters change, even sometimes drastically, but we never really get to understand why. We are told the actions of characters in the past and given some glimpses into what upbringing a
Jen
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let's see. Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. I previously had read another book of Keyes' that I enjoyed a lot but I found this one a bit of a slog to get through. I admire her portrayal of an unappealing main character (Lisa) but it didn't really work for me as light reading. Overall, I'd say it is a professionally-rendered execution of an idea that just didn't appeal to me pers ...more
Morgan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I think one of the stars is for my accent enjoyment due to listening to the audio.

Just wasn't my cuppa, and the fact that it stretched so long in the audio version didn't help matters much.

Also I wake up at 1am to go into work now so, being entertained is much more of a requirement at the moment. lol.
Anna
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I had really enjoyed other books by Keyes - Lucy Sullivan & Watermelon - but Sushi really disappointed me. I could not care for any of her characters - workaholic Lisa was plain annoying, Ashling was just boring (though she was by far the best of the bunch), and I constantly wanted to yell at Clodagh to "Shut uuuup!". I also thought the book was too long for a story that barely developed, and in the end, some things (like Ashling's relationship) happened too fast.

Some parts were funny (but I wa
I will be leaving Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes without a formal rating simply because I can't explain why I didn't care for it, which leads me to believe it was a timing or mood issue on my part. I listened to the audiobook intermittently while spending a very LONG day-nearly ten hours-in jury duty...that right there explains it! If I had to rate this title today, I would give it 1 or 2 stars but that rating just wouldn't be fair. However, the only honest feedback I can give is that the a ...more
Nick Davies
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Now, I've quite like Marian Keyes as a person when I've seen her on telly, I quite enjoyed 'Rachel's Holiday' when I read it a good few years ago, and I don't mind the odd book in the chick-lit/lad-lit genre. This, alas, was a little disappointing and more of a two and a half than a three and a half. This is a clunky opening paragraph, isn't it?

The book follows the lives of three or four (or more) young women living in Dublin, centred around a women's magazine. There's lots of romance, bitching,
Jane H
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this book. I had started Sushi for Beginners only a few days before it was due back to the library and never really got time to read much... now having finished it, I can say it was an interesting read. I am not sure why I was compelled to read and keep reading, but I was. It was different having three "main" characters, and surprisingly not overly confusing either.

The reader got to see different points of view from Lisa, Ashling, and Clodagh (all of whom are girls despite ho
S.J. Pajonas
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just re-read this and, sigh, I love Marian Keyes. She's such a great storyteller, often surprising me with twists I didn't see coming. Her books in general are snarky, witty, and sexy, and this one hits all of those notes and more. I'm glad I took the time to re-read it.
Jenn Virskus
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not going to win any literary awards, but this is a great book for when you just want a fun read! And, it's not too far off when describing working for a small fashion magazine. Def one to recommend!
Bex
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Marian Keyes shoots and scores again with another fantastic novel which centers around three modern singletons. Magazine editor Lisa Edwards meets with her bosses about a new job they have lined up for her to launch a new magazine called Colleen. Lisa is already visualizing a new posh lifestyle for herself in New York.
However, New York isn't quite where her new job has been set up. She's pretty much being deported to Dublin to fend for herself, start anew and make this new magazine the next big
Arnetra
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Ashling Kennedy, the new job she lands at start-up Irish fashion magazine Colleen is a dream come true. For Lisa Edwards, a high-maintenance London editor expecting a promotion to New York, her appointment as editor-in-chief of Colleen is a slap in the face, the only consolation being her rumpled-but-handsome new boss, Jack Devine. Furious at being passed up for a job at Manhattan magazine, Lisa vows to make Colleen the envy of the fashion industry, even if it kills her. She drives her Dubli ...more
Sofi Collodel
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
ujjj so boring...

Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. All the characters annoyed me to some degree, and Lisa was insufferable.

I just wanted to finish this book. I did not enjoy it at all.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Marian Keyes knows how to write a good chick lit novel, her characters are so real, the settings are so familiar and her style is easy going.

Tania
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read! My favorites still remain This Charming Man and Last Chance Saloon (ok, also loved Rachel’s Holiday) and what I enjoy most is the character development - Marian Keyes goes deep into detail on that. It takes time to understand what the story is all about, but then unravels towards the end.
Christina
This book was entertaining enough, but I would stop short of calling it good. The characters weren't really developed, Keyes just basically told us what the characters were doing and never let them grow past their one dimensioned personalities. The only one who escapes that fate is Lisa, the hardass editor. And she doesn't even develop so much as suddenly she's just different. The secondary characters were so over the top that they were completely unbelievable. By the time the last chapter rolle ...more
Federica
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Shelves: chicklit
Think about an ambitious woman who expects a promotion to became an important magazine editor in New York and ends up in a little pennyless women's magazine editorial board in Ireland instead.

She could either resign indignant or make "Colleen" the most prestigious magazine in the fashion industry.

To do so Lisa Edwards will drive her Dublin staff, mainly made up of women, to exhaustion (nothing like the icy Miranda Priestly in the "Devil Wear Prada" though)but all the efforts will be prized as "
Aristhyia
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sushi for Beginners" is definitely a lighter read than Marian Keyes' "This Charming Man". By comparison, I also found it less rewarding when I finished reading, but that's only when putting the two books side by side.

Individually speaking, Sushi for Beginners is quite an enjoyable read. Ashling was cute and I didn't find her entirely boxed into the she's-a-weird-nerd type, thankfully. I still feel that her struggle with long-lasting issues wasn't dealt as nicely as it could have been. She pulls
Shannon
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit chick lit lovers
One nice thing about Marian Keyes' books is that all of her characters feel like real people that you might meet on the street. And the consequences for their actions are also "real". In this novel, three women are looking for love and success. First there is the super-fashionista, Lisa, who feels she has been demoted at work by being sent to Dublin, Ireland to head up a new women's fashion magazine. During this time of extreme stress, she is also in the midst of a divorce with her fashion-photo ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Apparently this was my first Marian Keyes book.

On Tuesday, April 05, 2005 I wrote on bookcrossing.com

8 out of 10
Hi flicky picked this book to read (update sept 2015. This meant I was going to send her this book) I did not really know what to expect but actually I am liking it so far.
I have read about 100 pages.planning to go to bed now and read some more.
I will update this journal while reading more.

Update april 16

I totally forgot to update

Finished the book and I thought it was a fun read.
I am
Erin
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got through this book. Getting into it was a bit of a struggle..... some of it I enjoyed, some was just "okay", and parts of it felt predictable, & some forced (specifically the end where it seemed semi-hurried to draw it all to a close).

It's certainly not a deep book, in my opinion, and I could go for a book like that every now and then, so it wasn't a loss. Definitely very much a chick book (not necessarily a bad thing, just not typically my thing).
Covadonga Lopez Iglesias
I loved the book. It's such a nice story; so contemporary and real that could happen to any woman these days.
Her lively writing style and her awesome humor is outstanding.
Reading a book of Marian is like talking to your best friend at home. I always think she and I could get along excellent with each other.
Mary
I was fully prepared to hate this book. But once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. Marian Keyes has a gift of hooking you with very flawed characters - she makes no pretense of who they are - and then by the end, you love them like old friends.
Kim
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - it is funny but sweet in some ways. I have read most of Keyes' books and this is one of her best ones I think. Not great literature but catches your interest and love the Ireland settings.

Nov 1- I just re read - I love this book and listening to it is good also.
Amanda
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Marian Keyes books. I have read and collected all of her books. They are well written, easy to read and witty. Laugh out loud moments in all of her books.
Chloe (Always Booked)
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this book quite a bit but my connections to the characters were lacking a little bit. Like most Marian Keyes, it is a wide spread novel with a lot of detail and a lot of characters, but I like that. You really know all facets of the character's lives. If you are a plot driven reader I don't think this would be for you. This one is primarily about 2 women- Ashling and Lisa- and their adventures in career and love. We also follow Clodagh who is Ashling's best friend.
Things I
Ashley Wells
I graded on the curve since this came out in 2003, the same year as The Devil Wears Prada and only a few years out from Bridget Jones Diary. So I can't exactly ding it for relying on tropes of chick-lit that are now overused to the point of being cliches, since the genre was still in its infancy (or at least its toddlerhood). Overall this is a sweet, funny book that is mostly very lighthearted but also touches on some serious issues in ways I found pretty respectful (though I have never been hom ...more
Laura | Booksexplored
Ashling, Lisa and Clodagh each have their own story to tell. Ashling is your slightly boring next door neighbour with little aspiration in life, but has a busy social and night life at the same time. Lisa, a hard-working career woman, seemingly goes through loads of changes and comes out a different person at the end. And then you have Clodagh, who you sympathise with at first and eventually turns into a true b*tch and after some self-reflection does a U-turn. Kept up?

This book was exactly what
Basic Friends Rea...: Sushi For Beginners — Marian Keyes 1 1 Nov 07, 2018 08:40PM
A Million More Pages: Sushi for Beginners: Mar 20 21 22 Mar 30, 2015 08:52AM

• A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Everyone Worth Knowing
  • Chasing Harry Winston
  • Running in Heels
  • Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)
  • In Her Shoes
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1)
  • Remember Me?
  • Bookends
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
  • Twenties Girl
  • P.S. I Love You (P.S. I Love You, #1)
  • The Undomestic Goddess
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • The Nanny Diaries (Nanny, #1)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Ralph's Party (Ralph's Party #1)
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more