Start by marking “A Higher Standard: Leadership Strategies from America's First Female Four-Star General” as Want to Read:

On June 23, 2008, President George W. Bush nominated Ann Dunwoody as a four-star general in the US Army-the first time a woman had ever achieved that rank. The news generated excitement around the world. Now retired after nearly four decades in the Army, Dunwoody shares what she learned along the way, from her first command leading 100 soldiers to her final assignment, in ...more
Published April 28th 2015 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about A Higher Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Higher Standard

Ian Stewart
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mined this book for insight into leadership skills and management anecdotes but what I especially enjoyed in the end was a newfound respect for military life. And most especially the sense of multi-generational teamwork along with the sense of dedicating ones life to something bigger than themselves. But back to leadership skills: I wound up highlighting almost an entire chapter on what it means to have a vision, develop it, share it, and drive towards it. Probably the best no nonsense explana ...more
notgettingenough
Jun 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Curious to look at this because the head high honcho of WordPress thinks it's great and she's been appointed to the board of WP, the first appointment since the board was first established.

Will it unlock some secrets behind the WP mindset?
Lance Willett
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is enjoyable to read as it follows General (US Army, Ret.) Ann Dunwoody’s wonderful and amazing life journey through career, family, and life. From her first days as a commissioned officer all the way to the Pentagon and her retirement from active duty. Throughout the book she grounds the narrative with lessons and principles. Guideposts.

My full review: https://sensible.blog/2018/01/15/a-hi...
Allieweiskopfgmail.com
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
General Dunwoody was the first woman to become a four star general, and chronicles her journey from the Women’s Army Corps in 1974 to commanding an organization of 69K Soldiers in 2012. The book was a bit more disjointed than I would have liked, by the stories and leadership techniques were worth the read.
Fred
This was a good book. It wasn't great which was a bit disappointing to me considering that I have been hunting for it on the cheap for a while. The flow of the story wasn't really there. It was more than a bit out of order. Rather than Gen. McChrystal's biography that was fantastic, this one didn't go in a linear fashion a hundred percent of the time. Sometimes things happened out of order and she would go from talking about her time as a Lieutenant General to her time as a Major or Lieutenant C ...more
Kim
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Leadership Reading

The frequent and necessary reminder of the need for an ethical foundation and belief system as well as an ability to look within one's self. Excellent writing style. Factual as well as interesting.
James Pritchert
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific book. It may be because the General and I were assigned to the same places on some occasions and we shared some similar experiences but I really enjoyed this book. Looking back over her military career, she provides many useful insights and observations into the US Army and into the politics that goes into that career field. If I were to embark on a military career now, I would devour this book and keep it as a ready reference. I have seen too many young officers run afoul of ...more
Jonathan Pevarnek
A very good book going over the life of a remarkably gifted leader in the army. General Dunwoody tells many stories about her career and I found many of those stories to have very clear takeaways for how people in general could be more effective and just better overall. Without question, there's some useful tips I can take away and use in my own life.

One thing that would have been nice from an editing perspective would be to trim down the repetition. The same stories, framed almost exactly the s
Walt Campbell
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Love her story but didn't love this book. It ambles, rambles, and recovers ground so often that it feels like you've been dropped into the middle of a narrative jungle and have to find you way out. I listened to the audiobook version, not sure if I would have come away with the same impression if I had read a printed copy.
Heather
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Another great book pick from Julie! A positive story with practical leadership lessons from our first female to four.
Aseel
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every aspect of this book! It's an easy read, and very enjoyable. Amy's lessons of leadership and life are very sincere and relatable. The book definitely had a very similar format to Lean In, which is another great book.

The ultimate theme, as evident from the title, is a higher standard. No matter of the set backs, the hardship, or the situation; a higher standard is what is going to be your key to success.

The book consists of 11 chapters, each designed a provide an insight and a les
Anne Mccune
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoire, 2016
Inspiring

General Dunwoody has high standards that served her well as she grew in her various assignments in the army. She gives us good ideas about improving our own lives, to seek ways we too can help this world be a better place. She was often recognised as a leader with great potential. Kudos to those who were willing to give her chances to advance. I am so glad she had so much support from her husband.
I also liked the way she talked about convincing people to do the right thing... how to kee
George
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
First review of this book. I'll be honest, I wanted to read what the author said about leadership, the Army, and others who I know or know of. Her lessons on leadership were good ones; especially for one who lives in a large bureaucracy like the Army. I was especially amused at the powerpoint slides that describe vision...Army ones are usually too busy to absorb without some contemplation. These were no different. Further, the story was pretty "green," Army green. Even more telling, the anecdota ...more
Esther
Jun 14, 2016 added it
I loved this book, it affirms my beliefs and values of what I already believe in, she is a bad ass. This book has inspired me to believe in myself mainly, and be a part of the "boys club" which the military is no longer. But very good Valuable leadership lessons learned.
Mare
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not a memoir. Not an autobiography -- though autobiographical elements appear on each page. This is a book about leadership strategies. Even if you are not looking to lead, the advice Dunwoody provides will inspire and influence you for the better.
Lisa
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic lessons

Great story, well written and inspiring. Good real world examples of the best type of leadership. Thank you, General Dunwoody for your service too!
Karen
Oct 22, 2015 added it
Shelves: can-t-finish
well written, it did not engage me.
Papun Dutta
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Leadership skills Ann has described reflects on her journey to the Highest position in Combat and everything she wrote will continue to inspire generations to come.
Karyn