Start by marking “Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)

Musseled Out

(Maine Clambake Mystery #3)

The busy summer tourist season is winding down in Busman's Harbor, Maine, but Julia Snowden senses trouble simmering for the Snowden Family Clambake Company. Shifty David Thwing - the "Mussel King" of upscale seafood restaurants - is sniffing around town for a new location. But serving iffy clams turns out to be the least of his troubles....

When Thwing is found sleeping wi
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published April 28th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Musseled Out, please sign up.
Peter Ackerman I think it could be a stand alone, though the depth of the characters and their relationships, can be understood on that much of a deeper level if you…moreI think it could be a stand alone, though the depth of the characters and their relationships, can be understood on that much of a deeper level if you have read the two previous books, though the author does a good job of setting up the previous plot lines and relationships, so that you have what you need to enjoy this third in the series...and my favorite thus far!(less)

Leslie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dang, I love this series!
Meg
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to series
LORI CASWELL
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Another tasty installment from Barbara Ross. In Clammed Up Julia came home to help save the family business. In Boiled Over she got the business steered in the right direction. Now in Musseled Out the season is drawing to a close and she needs to make a huge decision, return to her job back in New York or stay in Maine with her friends and family. Of course a dead body being found and her brother-in-law being a prime suspect will weigh heavily into her decision. First she need
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was pretty down on this series after book 2. I love the setting and the clambake descriptions but something was off for me. Book 1 was ok, book 2 for me, was awful. Still, on NetGalley, I saw that I could request book 3 for free and said, why not.

Finally this series clicked for me. I get it. Some long buried secrets are finally out in the open. The main character, Julia, has finally grown on me and is moving forward with her boyfriend Chris. Though her brother in law Sonny is one of the more
Jonathan
Wow, Barbara Ross just moved up a step on my good authors list. The first two books of this series were good, solid four-star reads, but this book absolutely blew them out of the water.

Julia, Chris, Jacqueline, Sonny, Livvie, Fee, Vee, Gus, and the other assorted characters reappeared in this book, which was, of course, wonderful. Also, we got to meet Sonny's dad, and Gus's wife, both of who I really hope reappear in the next few books. Jacqueline, Julia's mother, and Sonny went through some thi
Betty
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Events in Busman Harbor Maine are winding down as the town gets ready for winter. Julia Snowdon meets a new competitor on the dock who tells that Family Clambake won't last a year. Julia heads to the island to think through her decisions. She must decided where she wants to live, rather to return to her former job and if she wants to continue with her relationship with Chris. Looking for her cat Le Roi she spots a lobstor boat that appears empty. When the book is pulled from the water the compet ...more
Amara
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This might have gotten three stars, but the narrator was so bad. I looked at reviews on Audible, and no other readers mentioned this, but she mispronounced probably ten words --some of them multiple times. It just seemed blatant poor reading to me. I tried to make allowances for the New England flat "A" but still. I did like the details on the Maine lobster fishing industry --all new knowledge to me.
Lea Wait
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Ross' series is popular, and I've read all three books published so far. They just keep getting betters and this one (I believe) is her best. She's got the lobstering community in Maine right, the emotions and confusion when someone unexpectedly dies, right, and the backstory of several characters adds to the depth of the book -- and the series ... and suggests issues and plots to come. Highly recommended.
Dawn
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Almost a 4 star book for me but just cannot rate it that. There were some parts of the book I did like and some that just seemed to drag on to me. The story was fine, so I will continue on in the series.
OpenBookSociety.com
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: andra, kayt

Review brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Musseled Out is the third book in Barbara Ross’ A Maine Clambake Mystery series and the first book I have read by this author. Given my enjoyment, it will not be my last. What I liked most is that I was kept guessing as to whom the murderer was as the potential suspect list was long. And let us not forget…many of the suspects seemed to be related to Julia! Julia had other distractions in addition to solving the mu
Sherrie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There a lot of cozy mystery series available some are good and others not so much but the Maine Clambake Mystery series just keeps getting better. My mom and I have read the first three books in the series for our Mother Daughter Book Club and this one is our favorite so far. Musseled Out had several intriguing story lines that I had no idea how they would be solved. Sometimes I'm able to guess the ending or figure out the mystery but this one was so multi-layered I had no idea who the culprit w ...more
Linda
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Another great Maine clambake mystery. These books are easy to read, the mystery was good and the ending exciting. I like the characters and it’s fun to get to see the clambake through the different seasons.
Jessica Robbins
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Kristina
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, cozy-mysteries
Musseled Out by Barbara Ross is the third book in A Maine Clambake Mystery series. Julia Snowden had taken a leave of absence from her job working in venture capital and is helping her family run The Snowden Family Clambake Company (getting it back from the brink of bankruptcy). Owen Quimby, H.R. Director, has called saying she needs to come back to work or they are going to fill her position. Julia cannot decide what to do. She is given until Friday to make up her mind. The season is ending and ...more
Missi Stockwell
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love going to Busman's Harbor and spending time with the Snowden family and all the residents there. Barbara Ross has such a way with her writing that you feel like you are there. You feel like the invisible sister of Julia and Livvie or you will want to be.

Julia returned home in the first book of the Maine Clambake Mystery books, Clammed Up, to help run the family clambake business before her mom loses everything. As with Clammed Up, the second book Boiled Over, both involved murders that Jul
Kimberly
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Snowden family is preparing for their last clambake of the season. Business has been good since Julia came back to town. However, she needs to decide if she will continue to stay in Busman's Harbor to help out with the family business or return to her previous lifestyle in New York. To make matters worse a couple family members and her love interest seem to be withholding big secrets from one another. Julia has little time to focus on those problems before a potential competitor is found bru ...more
Mystereity Reviews
I was given an ARC by the publisher in return for an honest review

Musseled Out, the third in the Maine Clambake mystery series, sees Julia and her family facing competition from Thwing, an smarmy entrepreneur. When Thwing turns up dead, Julia investigates to clear her brother-in-law Sonny from the list of suspects.

This was a complex plot; lots of suspects, lots of motives and lots of opportunity. It kept me guessing until the end, and I never had a good idea who was the culprit. I enjoyed that t
Dawn
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a testament to how much I enjoy this cozy mystery series, when my county library co-op system managed to lose the single copy they had of this book, I was forced to purchase my own copy, because there was no chance I was either giving up on this series or skipping a book and continuing past it. This paper-and-ink girl even tolerated reading the e-version on my iPad's Kindle app. And despite all the obstacles, it was worth it. I really love each of the characters and the development of their p ...more
Maxime
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Net Galley
The busy summer tourist season is winding down in Busman's Harbor, Maine, but Julia Snowden senses trouble simmering for the Snowden Family Clambake Company. Shifty David Thwing--the "Mussel King" of upscale seafood restaurants--is sniffing around town for a new location. But serving iffy clams turns out to be the least of his troubles. .
I did not realise that this was the third in a series of books by Barbara Ross which is a s
Carolyn Injoy
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers, Barbara Ross fans
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery) by Barbara Ross I received a free kindle copy of Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery) by Barbara Ross, published by Kensington Books from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this cozy mystery five stars. I had not read Barbara Ross before but will look for more of her books.  This mystery kept me guessing & taught me a lot about lobster catching in Maine. The characters were well developed & storyline was entertaining.

Link to purcha
Debra
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The third volume in this series kept my interest as much as the previous ones did. When a potential competitor to the Snowden Family Clambake Company turns up dead, Julia works to solve the mystery and, hopefully, absolve her brother-in-law of any involvement. And the time has come for Julia to decide if she's going to stay in Busman's Harbor or go back to her high-powered job in New York.
Tina
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story! This was my favorite in the series so far. Julia is facing some major decisions in her life and it seems like everyone is keeping secrets. Her relationship with Chris is rocky and their future uncertain. On top of the murder, someone is smuggling illegal drugs into the town and its hard to tell how many are involved. I loved this story - couldn't put it down.
Melissa
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I just love this series. Every time I read one of these books I really want to go back to Maine or at least Red Lobster. This was a good mystery, I did not figure out who did it before the reveal. Great setting, characters, etc. I can't wait for the next one!
Jenni Schell
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I really think that this book was the best in the series so far. I loved it. The characters are great and the mystery is always top notch.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the third book in the Clambake Mystery series and each book gets better. "The Season" in Busman's Harbor Maine is winding down and the town is getting ready for winter. Julia Snowdon is trying to figure out what is next for her. In the last book, she and Chris had a falling out and she is still not sure where their life together might end up. She wants to stay in Busman's Harbor for her family and the business as well as Chris, but her life in New York is still calling her. When a a new ...more
Peggie Ross
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will admit that this isn't my favorite series but I do enjoy the coastal Maine setting and the mysteries. The heroine is not necessarily the most likeable person, being far to wishy-washy for my liking. Still I will continue to read the series as new ones are issued.
Katherine Decker
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read. I love making the "connections" to Boothbay Harbor, ME - my home away from home. The relationships Julia has with everyone make for a fun read. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Dorothy Timm
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, I admit that I love New England stories, especially about the coast, and this focused on lobster fishing. I also liked that the solving the crime was fairly straight forward, no big twist coming right at the end that no one knew the whole time.
Megan Williams
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just what is needed during a summer week...a 'clambake' mystery. Barbara Ross uses the topical issue of the cost of prescription drugs and border constraints to weave a very plausible mystery. Very good!
Kristin Cochran Schadler
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have
I'm really enjoying this series. I liked this book a lot. Hard to put down towards the end. Great storyline, very timely. Really enjoying how the characters are progressing and becoming more three dimensional through the series. Already started the next one.
Goodreads Librari...: Associated a book with my author profile 3 13 Jul 15, 2014 10:41AM
  • This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2)
  • Crime Rib (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #2)
  • A Turn for the Bad (County Cork, #4)
  • Off the Books (Novel Idea, #5)
  • Oh Say Can You Fudge (Candy-Coated, #3)
  • Death Runs Adrift (Gray Whale Inn Mystery #6)
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • A Muddied Murder (A Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #14)
  • The Corpse with the Silver Tongue (Cait Morgan #1)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • Bowled Over (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #2)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
Barbara Ross is the author of six Maine Clambake Mysteries. The seventh, Steamed Open, will be published in December 2018. Her novellas featuring Julia Snowden are included along with stories by Leslie Meier and Lee Hollis in Eggnog Murder and Yule Log Murder.

Barbara’s books have been nominated for multiple Agatha Awards for Best Contemporary Novel and the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction.

Ba

Maine Clambake Mystery (7 books)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5)
  • Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)