Start by marking “Be Afraid (Morgans of Nashville, #2)” as Want to Read:
Be Afraid (Morgans of Nashville, #2)

Be Afraid

(Morgans of Nashville #2)

The Fear Is Terrifying

When police rescue five-year-old Jenna Thompson from the dark closet where she's been held captive for days, they tell her she's a lucky girl. Compared to the rest of her family, it's true. But even with their killer dead of an overdose, Jenna is still trying to find peace twenty-five years later.

But The Truth

On leave from her forensic artist job, Je
Published April 28th 2015 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Be Afraid, please sign up.
Molle I felt the exact same way. They spent a lot of time on the story line of the Lost Girl and then never resolved it. Were we supposed to think that the …moreI felt the exact same way. They spent a lot of time on the story line of the Lost Girl and then never resolved it. Were we supposed to think that the dad killed her? They alluded to it toward the end when Rick said, "we'll get Danny (I think that was his name) to confess." However, I would have appreciated true closure.(less)

Start your review of Be Afraid (Morgans of Nashville, #2)
Sue
I received "Be Afraid" by Mary Burton as an ARC from the publisher, Kensington Books via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second novel that I have read by this author, having read “Cover Your Eyes” and while “Be Afraid” is classified as romantic/suspense, I feel that it belongs more in the crime/mystery genre. Both can be read as a standalone; however, you will want to read the two of them, to get learn more about the characters.

This novel, opens in Nashville and starts of
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to Kensington Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Mary Burton's BE AFRAID catches up with some familiar characters for a cop procedural, crime mystery, psycho-thriller, and romantic suspense. . Driving a woman from Boston, returning to the tragic scene of the southern crime from twenty-five years ago in Nashville, and even more danger to come.

The novel begins in Nashville with the opening of "Reason and Madness, like Jekyll and Hyde, were two s
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I read this series out of order, beginning with #3 and #4 and then following up with #1 and #2. This was my least favorite of the four, although still a solid read. I liked the suspense, but found I didn't think the romance/attraction between Jenna and Rick felt real. Certain elements didn't work for me, but overall I did enjoy it.

Mary Burton is a favorite author of mine, and if you haven't read this series, I do recommend it.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Kidnapped as small girl
She goes back to find answers
Strange murders happen

Liked the characters
Psychological thriller
Minimal romance
Julie

Check out my other reviews at Little Miss Bookmark!

Be Afraid is about a woman named Jenna who rolls back into her hometown and is dragged into an ongoing investigation that hits a little too close to home. Jenna is a forensic artist and even though she is taking a break from all of that, she decides to help a couple of Nashville detectives with a case.

That's really all I'm going to say ... I know that the blurb says more but I'm having a hard time finding things that I like about this book and i
Linda Strong
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Jenna Thompson is a forensic artist on leave and back in her native Nashville to solve the case of the murder of her family 25 years previously.

When several women are abducted, raped, shot and then set on fire, detectives figure they have a serial killer running rampant. And when the suspects in those cases turn up dead in overdoses, talk begins of another 'someone' who is pulling the strings and manipulating the men into committing these horrible crimes.

When Detective Rick Morgan learns of Jen
Gary
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Net Galley and Kensington Books for supplying me with a forward copy of this novel in return for a honest review.
This is the 2nd book in the Morgans of Nashville series by Mary Burton and although I had not read the first book it did not spoil my enjoyment of it. The book is fast paced and full of strong characters that I am sure will develop further if the series continues. Lots of action and suspense that makes it very difficult to put the book down once you start. Lookin
Tara Kable
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased, netgalley
Thank you netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have never read anything by this author, but I will be adding her to my must read authors! Wow...this was a fast paced read that keeps you guessing. It was an unputdownable thriller with a little romance thrown in. I read in other reviews that some of the characters are from other books are in this one, so I will definitely be checking those out!
Nessa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book from this author. She never disappoints. Found it to be gripping from start to finish, so good that I finished it in two days.
2.5 stars. It seems like 2019 is starting with lots of bullet point reviews. I'm sorry, but I'm feeling lazy.

What I liked:
1) An h who is in control of her libido, even in her thoughts.
2) An h who has an awesome skill and uses it for good, not evil. Like a super hero(ine). She also doesn't do OTT TSTL things, like revisiting crimes scenes. In the dark. By herself.
3) An interesting mystery, with the bad guy being someone I never would've guessed.
4) No explicit intimate scenes.
5) A safe story. The
Danielle Gonzalez
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the 2nd book in the Morgans series. The Morgan family has 3 brothers and one sister, all involved in law enforcement. This second book is a story of Rick. He had a very small part in book one, so this gives the reader more information on him. The genre of these books is romantic suspense, so with the romantic part, it's a little predictable. You know who is going to end up with who. I was disappointed with the suspense aspect. It also seemed predictable. I was also disappointed by the lo ...more
Anita
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the Publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There is a fine line between Reason and Madness, especially in the mind of a production planning, psycho murderer. Nashville Detective Rick Morgan is new to the homicide division and he and his partner, Bishop, catch the call that an arson is also the scene of a murder. A murder that has been staged by Madness.

Earlier in the day they were called to Centennial Park where the remains of a child were found submerged in a
Dawn ♥ romance
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
This romantic suspense had a interesting complex plot but the action moved kind of slow and the relationships were not very realistic. Everyone speculating about the heroines past got repetitive and almost every time the hero does something he thinks about his injury. Police sketch artist Jenna is on leave and Detective Rick asks her to help him try to identify a young child.
Beth Lechman
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second book in a series. Not realizing this I have read this series backwards. Makes it a bit hard to follow but barring that overall a good read. Jenna Thompson comes to Nashville to try and get answers as to why her family was all killed when she was only 5. She became a cop and a forensic artist after her aunt moved her to Baltimore. When bones are discovered she is asked to try and reconstruct the face for the local police. Somehow this could all lead to the answers she needs.
Mary
May 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did not like any of the Morgan family as they were pushy, rude and constantly annoyed that strangers did not give away their secret immediately upon meeting them. Have no idea how anyone could be attracted to or love or even like any of them!!
I give the story 2 stars for the mystery and characters of KC and Jenna.
Sheila Myers
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
A great, face-paced suspense. I look forward to reading other books in this series.
Shelby Allison
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let's just say Jenna is a heck of a woman ...more
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
3.5 Stars. I enjoyed this and the suspense was well done. I liked the MC's although the romance was just a bit lacking for me. ...more
Kathy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Opening with a chilling prologue, Be Afraid by Mary Burton is an incredibly riveting read from beginning to end. This second installment in the Morgans of Nashville series is a very intriguing mystery with slight romantic elements that fans of police procedurals do not want to miss. While it can be read as a standalone, I also recommend the first novel in the series to get a better understanding of the characters and their backstories.

Baltimore police officer and forensic artist Jenna
Dawn
On leave from her job in the Boston Police Department, Forensic Artist Jenna Thompson returns to Nashville to think on where she wants to go in her career and try to figure out the hazy memories that surround her even as closure in that is not even close. Detective Rick Morgan is a man determined to solve a baffling crime and he needs Jenna’s help. With murders piling up, it will take the combined help of Jenna as well as Rick to bring justice to the victims as well as closing a case that dates ...more
Sparkymom
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: procedural
Written in the same style as her last book and carrying over some of the same characters, Be Afraid is a police procedural focused on tracking down a killer whose crimes span decades. Rick, whose brother Deke was featured in the last book, is one of the primary detectives on the case. Much of the drama in the story is centered around Rick's job related shooting injury and his inability to relax and connect with his partner and those around him. Jenna also has trouble connecting with people. A tr ...more
Bea
I read the first book last fall and enjoyed it so I requested this as soon as I saw it was available. We get to revisit some of the characters from the first books, learn more about two of the Morgans, and get a mystery that kept me guessing though there was a major coincidence that I had trouble swallowing. The romance is light, even lighter than in the first one, the book is more mystery with a romance sub-plot. It didn't grab me as much as book one, "Cover Your Eyes" did but I enjoyed it and ...more
Terri Wino
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2015
Another decent suspense story from Mary Burton. Mystery that kept me interested and I liked the characters of Rick and Jenna. My only complaint is that for books that are marketed as Romantic Suspense, the romance part is sometimes lacking for me and almost seems like a bit of an afterthought. But I always enjoy her books and am looking forward to the release of her next one.
Mei
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I love how Ms. Burton writes!
The books in this series is mu7ch more mystery and thriller than romantic suspense!
But still the sickness described in them is fascinating in its own way. It's like watching CSI or Criminal Minds: you know and see some really disturbing things, but you love the series all the same!
With this books is like that!
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kind of predictable, but she builds suspense well. I didn't buy the romance, but thought the central mystery was well written. I kind of wanted more closure on the secondary case, which kept me going till the end but wasn't forthcoming. ...more
Maggie Boyd
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it. See my First Look at here. ...more
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I am reading this series completely out of order...but that aside, has anyone noticed that the author has a thing for killing off women named Diane? Diane Young, Diane Smith...2 out of the 3 books I have read in this series so far killed off a Diane. Also, her killers all have a thing for writing words on foreheads, albeit this book it was a doll forehead, but still they all to that in 3 out of 3 books.

Anywho.... Jenna returns to Nashville from Baltimore to get closure on her past. Her entire fa
A Reader's Heaven

On leave from her forensic artist job, Jenna returns to Nashville, the city where she lost so much. Instead of clo
Eminent Person's Nightmare
Aug 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Drown Her Sorrows (Bree Taggert, #3)
  • A Broken Bone (Widow's Island, #6)
  • Autumn's Fear (Autumn Trent #3)
  • Below the Bones (Widow's Island, #5)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Storm's Fury (Amelia Storm #1)
  • Promises in the Dark (Detectives Kane and Alton, #10)
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • Be Mine Forever (Detectives Kane and Alton, #11)
  • Storm's Peril (Amelia Storm #2)
  • Autumn's Break (Autumn Trent #2)
  • Cold Revenge (Ellie Kline #7)
  • Storm's Cage (Amelia Storm #3)
  • Cold Shadows (Ellie Kline #6)
  • Autumn's Game (Autumn Trent #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Search for Her
  • Whispers in the Dark (Darkwater Cove #3)
See top shelves…

Mary Burton, whose latest novel is NEAR YOU, loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedure, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. Library Journal has compared her work to that of Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner, and

Morgans of Nashville (4 books)
  • Cover Your Eyes (Morgans of Nashville, #1)
  • I'll Never Let You Go (Morgans of Nashville, #3)
  • Vulnerable (Morgans of Nashville, #4)