Jump to ratings and reviews

THIRDS #6

Catch a Tiger by the Tail

Calvin Summers and Ethan Hobbs have been best friends since childhood, but somewhere along the line, their friendship evolved into something more. With the Therian Youth Center bombing, Calvin realizes just how short life can be and no longer keeps his feelings for his best friend a secret. Unfortunately, change is difficult for Ethan; most days he does well to deal with his Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety. Calvin’s confession adds a new struggle for Ethan, one he fears might cost him the friendship that’s been his whole world for as long as he can remember.

As partners and Defense Agents at the THIRDS, being on Destructive Delta is tough at the best of times, but between call-outs and life-threatening situations, Calvin and Ethan not only face traversing the challenges of their job, but also working toward a future as more than friends.

216 pages, ebook

First published February 5, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Charlie Cochet

106 books3,129 followers
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo, and a very opinionated German Shepherd bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devouring a book, releasing her creativity through art, or binge watching a new TV series. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

Website: http://www.charliecochet.com

Join Charlie's FB fan group

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 652 reviews
Profile Image for Dalia.
277 reviews94 followers
January 12, 2016
The THIRDS gang is back! This time it's Cobbs' story.

Calvin and Ethan are more than best friends now, but they're not exactly boyfriends. Calvin doesn't want to push Ethan because of his struggles with Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety, so they're taking things very slow. However, if they want to move forward in their relationship, Ethan has to stop running from problems and Calvin needs to quit shutting his friend down.
As long as they were together, they'd make it through anything. Them against the world.

I was delighted to finally read Calvin and Hobbs' POV and I enjoyed getting to know them better overall. These guys are full of surprises. They're both sweet, quiet and, as it turns out, they're also kinky. I would love to see them perform Shibari rope bondage.

As always, it was a lot of fun to spend time with the crazy Destructive Delta team. Their frolicking and bickering puts a smile on my face every time. In this book they're going through a hard training that's supposed to prepare them for what they'll have to face soon.

The ending is a cliffhanger. It pains me, because the waiting is torture, but at the same time it makes me even more excited for the seventh installment. I really can't wait see what's going to happen next.

This review has been cross-posted at Gay Book Reviews.

*glares at a calendar*

Profile Image for *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time.
1,921 reviews3,430 followers
February 12, 2016
3.5 Stars!

Because yeah....there was some skimming involved.

I started getting bored the second half.

I liked this one better than the last one. I should probably go round that one down. And really I should probably round this one down. But it's the THIRDS! And I love Dex and Sloane. And I did really like Ethan and Calvin.

I just wish more had happened plot wise.....and less description and detail of stuff I didn't really care about.

A great series, but Dex and Sloane are still my favorite couple!
Profile Image for Barbara➰.
1,545 reviews363 followers
September 6, 2021
Reread September 2021

I still love them. So sweet.

Reread May 2020

These guys are just too sweet together.

Reread June 2019

Still love these guys so much. ❤️

Originally read August 2018

I knew I would love Ethan and Calvin (I just can't say Calvin and Hobbs). Calvin is so sweet and patient with Ethan and is everything he needs. He does it all right to help him through his anxiety. And poor Ethan..I felt so bad for him and what all he has been through.

Yes, I have hated Rafe through this series and while I feel sorry for him and what he is going through or will go through, I don't think I'm as forgiving as his family and what all he has said and done.

And shit! That ending! Gotta move on to the next.
Profile Image for Nazanin.
1,039 reviews587 followers
February 8, 2019
4 Stars

Told in dual POV, 3rd person. It’s the sixth installment in the "THIRDS" series and should be read in order. It ends on a cliffhanger. It’s good that I’m a big fan of Dex because, otherwise, my rating for this and the previous story would be a 3 star (or maybe lower). It’s like the author hasn't had much to say about the couples, so she fills the stories with more of Dex and Sloane's! Of course still no complaint here…
Profile Image for Gaby.
339 reviews5 followers
February 25, 2016
I'm pissed off. I had my laughs with my Hispanic friends but I'm still, very pissed off, so beware: you'll read a rant. This is the moment when you decide to stay or.. Keep scrolling.

Before I go, a few things I need to say about the book:

* i DNFd at 76% - my reason had nothing to do with the execution of the story or any of the characters that I still adore. I wil explain myself better in a bit.
* I liked Calvin and Ethan. I actually liked their dynamic
* There were things that seemed completely out of place, in sense that, to my taste, came out of nowhere.
* I love the group dynamics but with each book I feel that a couple of the characters become a caricature of the characters I fell in love with in the first books. I still love them. I still root for them, but yeah...
* The storyline was great. Up to where I read I saw character growth and relationship growth as well.
* I loved that this book was actually focused on the couple of the book, even though that meant less Dex.
* There were plot holes and things that made zero sense no matter how I tried to look at them, and it saddens me because this was one of my favorite series
* There was Spanish. Bad Spanish. Horrible Spanish.
Welcome to my rant:

Whenever I find a Hispanic character in a book I react in two different ways at the same time:
1. I feel really happy that I'm somehow being represented
2. I cringe because I know what might be coming: me ranting, yelling and being close to throw my kindle away.

Being represented is very important for everyone, the thing is that representation is not only (in my case) putting a latino/Hispanic person (yes, there's a difference), give them a few words in Spanish (usually bad words) and get done with it. Especially not if the Spanish does not:
a) represents the country of origin of the MC;
b) represents it but is used in a wrong context which is very common;
c) doesn't add up with the time the story takes place;
d) is mispelled. You are working with written language.
Check. Your. Facts.

In this case it was the fourth one.

The line read "Lla callate". The word Lla doesn't exist anywhere in my language. You might have read "pa'lla" in other books. "Pa'lla" is an expression used in a lot of Hispanic countries where the word/phrase is made of two words 'para' and 'allá'. Pa alone or Lla alone do not exist. What the author here should've written was "ya" and "cállate" should've taken an accent which, well, wasn't there.

At first glance I can see why some people would say or think that I'm making a huge deal out of this. If you think so, I'm sorry... But I stand by this.

The fact that authors continuously misuse my language, whether it's because of wrong context, wrong ethnicity, wrong spelling, it's incredibly upsetting to me, and to people who share my roots.
What this mistakes tell me is that none of the people involved with the book bothered to check with a native speaker. Not the author, not the betas, not the editor, not the publishing house. No one cared. Do you know how insulting it is to see (Over and over) that my culture, my language does not seem worth checking? - I'm completely against Google Translates, but even google would not have recognized the word Lla.

I wish. I really wish, that authors went to native speakers to beta the language use in their books. And by native speakers I mean people who were born in the country they are trying to portray. Because I have found that people who speak the language but grew up in a country where that language is not the first language don't pick up all the nuances. Don't get me wrong. They know, they are helpful, they might even be great at spelling and punctuation, but it's not the same. Think of the use of "mami" and "Papi" for your parents as opposed to use it for your lover. Ask around, most of us, Latinos/Hispanics who live/grew up in out countries CRINGE at it. This, for a number of reasons that I'm not going to mention because, well, it has nothing to do with the book. Clue: most of us women have been harassed with the word mami. And men are harassed with the word Papi. I mean harassment, not sexy flirting. And there's more. But I'll stop.

These mistakes are hurtful. They tell me I don't matter. They tell me that maybe I'm not even being considered as a potential reader, because if I was, someone, anyone, would have bothered to double check this EVEN If the character using the language is not one of the MCs. Because in the end you are choosing to represent me whether it is in a bigger or smaller scale. If you are going to use my culture, do it right. Don't hurt the people you are representing. It's not cool.

Double, triple check if you have to.
Profile Image for Shile (Hazard's Version) semi-hiatus.
1,070 reviews751 followers
March 18, 2018
5 stars for the audio

4.5 stars for the book

Well....I loved this more that Ash & Cael's book.

Calvin and Ethan are Relationship goals.

description

Since i am too tired to write a proper review, i will just list why i loved this:

- The chemistry.. these two had a believable chemistry, after all they have been best friends since childhood.

- It was nice to finally get into Ethan's head and understand his Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety, and how the team understood him. It is like they have developed some kind of mental abilities to communicate with Ethan. We get to know how much Calvin has been supportive of Ethan, and protecting him from mean, judgemental people.

- The Banter and the Humor, damn! this series just brings joy to my life. The moving day scene was the best

Ash, Cael, and Ethan were in their Therian forms, and they’d turned the living room into their personal Felid playground. Ethan was nestled inside the huge box, though he hardly fit. His big tiger butt was sticking up in the air while Ash chased Cael around the box, packing peanuts flying every which way. Dex, Letty, and Rosa were on the couch. Letty was painting Dex’s toenails, and Rosa was styling Dex’s hair.
“What the hell is going on here?”
“Check it out, babe.” Dex lifted a foot. “Blazing Blue Bombshell. Letty says it matches my eyes.”

Dex is just the best.

- The Sex.. These two are so kinky and Ethan's possessive side was so Hot!

“You’re mine,” Ethan hissed, his thrusts growing deep and fast. “I don’t want him to ever lay a hand on you again. You spread your legs and your ass only for me.”
Calvin arched his back, his whole body trembling with need. His lips were parted, and his breath came out ragged as Ethan pumped himself into him, the sound of skin slapping skin urging Ethan on. He wanted Calvin to feel him for days, a reminder of who he belonged to. The feral beast inside Ethan roared and clawed at him, enraged by the thought that someone else might make Calvin come.
“Say it,” Ethan ordered, pulling out and then plunging himself deep into Calvin’s ass.
“Oh God! I’m yours, Ethan. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

I had to Google The Art of Shibari yaap! kinky bastards

- The training sessions provided some much needed action.

Overall i enjoyed it alot. Cal and Ethan were amazing together.

Profile Image for Kyle.
168 reviews57 followers
May 10, 2016

Wow! What a disappointment.

I've always really enjoyed the THIRDS series. In fact, I've regularly recommended it. They have had a great plot, with great characters and enough erotica to make it interesting.

Unfortunately, Catch a Tiger by the Tail was more soap opera than anything else. There is simply no plot. Nothing. Sure you learn more about the characters. In this book, it’s all about Calvin and Hobbs. Which is interesting but it’s not enough to carry the story.

The only saving grace is the cliffhanger. Considering how short book 6 is and that book 7 comes out in July, seems to me Charlie Cochet might have spent more time and maybe combined the two books into one so at least she might have ended up with one book with a plot.

Profile Image for Simone - on indefinite hiatus  -.
662 reviews43 followers
January 8, 2022
Reread January 2022: Audiobook = ***3.5 - 4 Stars***

*********************

When was the last time I read a book in one day? I can't even remember...

OMG! I don't even know where to start!

There's nothing I could add to all the great 5* reviews so far, what hadn't already been said and they made a much better job than I ever could, so let's just say: I love this book! I love this series! And I love these guys! Always have. Always will. All of them! Okay, Sloane a little bit more than the others, but still... They are one big family and that becomes more and more evident in this book.

There were times I laughed so hard, I had tears running down my face, but there were also times, I suffered with the boys! Charlie Cochet has an incredible talent to pull me right into the story and make me feel as if I'm part of it. I chased the criminals through the woods of Central Park, along with the team, I stood right beside Sloane and Cal watching their Therian teammates play with a cardboard box and I dived with them through the pool. Oh, the description was priceless! I have a cat myself and I can confirm every word. *lol*

The love story between Cal and Ethan is so sweet and natural, it pulled at my heart strings. I loved it, that Ethan was the one, who made the first move to push things forward and I also loved to see their teammates through their eyes. It gave much more insight about certain things. Oh, and Rafe... Never thought to admit it, but I actually liked him. Again, in this book he behaves like an asshole, but he has his reasons and I understand him better now.

The development of the series is breathtaking and the end provides a scary outlook into the next book, Smoke & Mirrors. Did I mention, that I hate cliffhanger? Ugh...
Profile Image for Bev .
1,890 reviews395 followers
March 29, 2019
5 big fat mahoosive stars and the best book of the series so far, it was everything I had hoped it would be and then some! LOVE Ethan and Calvin together, they are just too stinkin' cute. I'm moving straight on to the next one, even though after reading reviews I'm not sure I'm going to love it like I have the others. Time will tell.
Profile Image for * A Reader Obsessed *.
2,082 reviews424 followers
April 12, 2017
4.5 Stars

I’m not gonna lie. I have a real affinity for a gentle giant, and here, Ethan Hobbs is the epitome of that. He’s one of the most endearing characters in this series, and I absolutely loved everything about him.

Ethan is understandably frustrated and limited by his severe anxiety and selective mutism. Despite being an integral member of the Destructive Delta team, and hence a THIRDS agent, there are many concessions that need to be made for his issues. Good thing he has his best friend since childhood, Calvin, watching over and helping him. They love each other fiercely, but Ethan is encumbered with the fear that plagues him daily about all things, and has great difficulty expressing himself. His intolerance of change and worry of losing Calvin should things not work out between them, has always kept his feelings in check. However, new challenges and revelations arise, and Ethan knows he needs to progress and take the first step, or else possibly lose the best thing he has in his life. Actions speak louder than words and he proceeds to show Calvin just how much he’s willing to do for the one person he relies on and cherishes the most.

As always, Calvin is the patient, solid rock who’s unconditionally there for Ethan without question. It goes both ways though, as they’ve been through a lot of personal struggles and have always had the other to rely on. He wants Ethan to open up and make that next official move, and will literally wait forever for him to do so.

So yes, these two guys instinctively protect, handle, and cherish all things regarding the other. Every thought and action were extremely romantic IMO, and I just gobbled it up. To me this was slightly less smexy in comparison to main couple Dex and Sloane, but the fabulous group dynamics, the hilarity, and camaraderie were just as heartwarming, swoony sweet as all the past installments!
Profile Image for Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘.
1,314 reviews2,760 followers
March 10, 2020
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Can Contain Spoilers*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The sixth book in the series centers around the best friends since childhood, Ethan Hobbs, a Therian Tiger and Destructive Delta's demolitions expert and his human partner, Calvin ‘Cal’ Summers, their sniper. Hobbs, who suffers from Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety, is struggling with change; his partner has confessed to wanting more. He's terrified he'll end up losing Calvin. But will it be worth it get it all? To have Calvin completely and fully? Is Calvin strong enough to keep giving Ethan time, even though his heart is breaking each day?

“I got out for you, you know.”
“What do you mean?”
“In the cage, I couldn’t move. I was so scared. Ash told me to do it for you. He said you didn’t think I was broken.”
Ethan searched his gaze, and Calvin made sure Ethan found what he was looking for.
“And he was right,” Calvin replied with all the conviction he possessed. Twenty-four years they’d been inseparable, yet Ethan still needed to be reminded that Calvin was at his side because he wanted to be, needed to be, as much for himself as for Ethan. Calvin took Ethan’s face in his hands. “You’re not broken, Ethan. You’re amazing, and that will never change.” He stroked Ethan’s cheek with his thumb and smiled. “Thank you for getting yourself out of there. I couldn’t stop worrying about you.”
“It scares me sometimes,” Ethan said quietly.
“What’s that?”
“How much I need you.”

Overall, my heart bleeds for Hobbs. He's struggling so much with his SM and believes himself broken, but Calvin never gives up in him, because he knows that Ethan has the most beautiful and wonderful heart. He's so precious. I liked that even though we get to see Cal and Ethan take the next step, we still get a lot of the rest of the team, specially Dex and Sloane. Which is important to me. Oh and even though things were revealed about Rafe, I'm not ready to forgive him quite yet. I understand more, but all the shit he's said to Sloane... nuh-uh. That ending though! On to next book!
Calvin hurried out with Ethan close behind. He wished he could say this day couldn’t get any worse, but he was certain it could. Maybe Maddock was right. Maybe Dex was a magnet for weird. Nothing like this ever happened before Dex joined. The elevator doors closed with him and Calvin inside. His partner grinned wickedly before standing on his toes and kissing him, leaving Ethan breathless. Who the hell needed normal anyway? It was totally overrated.

Other Characters:
Dexter ‘Dex’ ‘Rookie’ Justice Daley (35) Defense Agent for Destructive Delta (used to be a homicide detective; the Human Police Force) and his Team Leader Sloane Brodie (37? 38? 39?), who's also his jaguar Therian partner and lover. Dex is Cael's adopted big brother and Ash is Sloane's best friend.
Isaac Pearce, a Homicide Detective. His brother, Gabe, who had been a THIRDS agent and died a year ago; had been killed by a Therian informant. Though that proved to be a lie; Isaac had killed his own brother. Gabe used to be Sloane human partner. Sloane and Gabe were sleeping together. A year before Gabe died, it had gotten pretty serious. They’d been together four years. Got killed in book two.
Anthony ‘Tony’ ‘Sarge’ ‘Sergeant’ ‘Sir’ Maddock, Dex's adoptive father and a sergeant at the Therian-Human Intelligence Recon Defense Squadron (Destructive Delta) otherwise known as the THIRDS.
→ THIRDS Destructive Delta Agent Tech Expert, Cael Maddock (27?), Dex's adoptive little brother and a cheetah Therian. Rosa Santiago, his human partner and Destructive Delta's crisis negotiator and medic. Both Recon agents.
Ash Keeler, a lion Therian and Destructive Delta's entry tactics and CQC expert, and his human partner, Julietta ‘Letty’ Guerrera, their weapons expert. Ash was also Sloane's best friend. Ash and Cael finally got together in book five.
Rafe (the oldest brother), Team Leader for Alpha Ambush and Tiger Therian and Sebastian ‘Seb’ (middle brother), Agent for Theta Destructive newly promoted to Team Leader for Theta Destructive. Was once on Destructive Delta but was transferred after his relationship to Hudson ended in a breach of protocol and civilian loss. Is a Tiger Therian. Both Hobbs’s big brothers.
Rafe stopped in front of Sloane and met his gaze. “I’m sorry for always giving you such a hard time. I guess I felt a lot of resentment towards you. I’ve always respected you, and when I found out about my condition, I needed to vent, and I guess you were an easy target.” Rafe shifted uncomfortably, but he carried on, determined to say what he needed to say. “You were the kind of Team Leader I always wanted to be, and it got hard, seeing you doing so well, knowing where I was going to end up. I looked for any reason to drag you down, and I’m sorry.”

→ Dr. Nina Bishop, THIRDS Destructive Delta’s medical examiner and a human.
→ Dr. Hudson Colbourn, THIRDS chief medical examiner, and a Canis Lupus (wolf) Therian.
→ Lieutenant Sonya Sparks, for THIRDS Unit Alpha and a Cougar Therian. Partner to human Tony. Sparks is part of TIN—Therian Intelligence Network; as an undercover operative . Sort of the Therian version of the CIA. They exist, but technically they don’t. Austen, the SSAs works for them.
Louis ‘Lou’ Huerta, Dex's ex-boyfriend of four years.
→ THIRDS Agent Ellis Taylor, Team Leader of Beta Ambush, and leopard Therian.
→ THIRDS Agent Levi Stone, Team Leader of Beta Pride, and white tiger Therian. Got arrested for being a mole inside the THIRDS and part of the Ikelos Coalition in book three.
Osmond Zachary ‘Zach’, Agent for Alpha Sleuth in Unit Beta and brown bear Therian. Has six brothers working for the THIRDS.
Bradley Darcy, bartender and owner of Bar Dekatria and Jaguar Therian.
Austen Payne (23? 24?), Squadron Specialist Agent (SSA) for Destructive Delta and a Cheetah Therian. Is a undercover freelance operative for TIN (Therian Intelligence Network).
Angel Reyes, Member of the Order. Former member of the gang Westward Creed.
→ Dr. Abraham Shultzon, was the head doctor during the First Gen Recruitment Program who was personally responsible for the wellbeing of the THIRDS’ First Gen Recruits. He was also responsible for the tests that were run on the Therian children. He was recently (book five) apprehended by TIN for creating an unsanctioned Therian mind control drug, and for kidnapping THIRDS Therian agents for unsanctioned project.
Arlo Keeler, Ash’s twin brother killed during the riots in the 1980s.
Beck Hogan, a Tiger Therian and leader of The Coalition. Dead: Fell to death.
Drew Collins, a Cougar Therian and a part of The Coalition; Hogan's new second-in-command. Dead: Ash snapped his neck..
Felipe Bautista, was Drew Collins’s boyfriend of ten years and a wolf Therian.
John Daley, Dexter J. Daley’s biological father. Anthony Maddock’s best friend, and partner at the HPF. Killed during a shootout in a movie theater during the riots. Human.
Gina Daley, Dexter J. Daley’s biological mother. Worked for the CDC in NYC. First to volunteer to work with Therians. Killed along with her husband during a shootout in a movie theater during the riots. Human.
Darla Summers, Calvin Summer’s mother. Human.
Thomas Hobbs, Ethan, Sebastian, and Rafe Hobbs’s father. Suffers from Therian Acheron Syndrome. Tiger Therian.
Julia Hobbs, Thomas Hobbs’s wife, and mother to Ethan, Sebastian, and Rafe Hobbs. Human.
Benedict Winters, THIRDS appointed psychologist.
Ethan let out a deep, feral growl. He lowered himself onto Calvin and grabbed his wrists. With a hard thrust that made Calvin gasp, Ethan pinned Calvin’s wrists above his head.

Quick basic facts:
Genre: - (Adult) Paranormal Romance (M/M).
Series: - Series, Book Six.
Love triangle? -
Cheating? -
HEA? -
Favorite character? - Dexter ‘Dex’ ‘Rookie’ J. Daley.
Would I read more by this author/or of series? - Yes.
Would I recommend this book/series? - Yes.
Will I read this again in the future? - Probably not.
Rating - 3 stars.
Profile Image for Trisha Harrington.
Author 2 books123 followers
February 7, 2016
Oh this book. This book is amazing. I honestly can’t say it enough, but this book really is something. Most people will probably know that I love and adore the THIRDS series. It’s a series that took me by surprised a couple of years ago and ever since, I haven’t been able to get enough of these characters.

Book 6, Catch a Tiger By The Tail, is Cobb’s (aka Calvin and Hobbs) book. We’ve known both these characters since the very first book, but it’s only over the last three books that we’ve been getting hints about their story and the feelings that might not have been so obvious before.

I love Hobbs. He’s such a sweetheart and has gone through so much. After the last book, I wanted to give him a really big hug and tell him to ignore his asshole brother, Rafe. In this book, being inside his head and getting to see how much he struggles, it was so hard to read. It was painful, but also kind of beautiful, because we also get to see how lovely his relationship with Calvin is. I also love Calvin. His loyalty to Hobbs is amazing. I felt the pain he felt when Hobbs was having a bad day and his urge to protect Hobbs felt so real.

I love best friends to lovers stories. There’s something about them that I always seem to gravitate to. But the friendship between Calvin and Hobbs has to be one of my favourites to date. The two of them have gone through a lot of emotional times together, but their friendship has never wavered, even when things were tough and feelings changed. They were always there for each other. And I love that.

This series is incredibly funny as is this book. It lured me into a false sense of security because I laughed quite a lot and then there was pain, followed by more pain, followed by some humour and then some more pain. I’m not complaining. I can admit now that I do love angsty and emotional books. But what I adore about this series is it waves angsty/emotional stuff with humour so well that it’s like my own personal crack.

Seeing the rest of the team through Cobbs eyes was interesting and fun. I love the friendship between Dex and Hobbs. There was one scene in particular where I almost died laughing and it left me grinning for quite a while after it.

One thing that really surprised me about this book was Rafe. I had seen Charlie mention him and she told us that we’d feel sorry for him. I didn’t really believe it, because he’s been on my shit list since the last book and I had given him a permanent place there. But. I should have known Charlie would be right. While I don’t excuse the things he’s said and done, I do understand where he was coming from and yes, I feel bad for him. Surprised? Me too!

The sex in this book was hot! And I loved it!

The ending is…well…The one thing I can say about the ending without giving everything away is it killed me. Literally. I think I died a little inside when I realized that it was how this was all ending. Smoke & Mirrors can’t come soon enough, in my opinion. I don’t know how impatient people like me are supposed to wait. The only thing I’m sure of is I’ll be jumping on that one the second it’s released. I might even stay up all night or just wake up extremely early just so I can read it.

Spoiler for the ending:

If you’re a fan of this series or even these two guys, this is definitely a must read. The Cobbs relationship in this is beautiful and will leave you feeling so happy inside.
Profile Image for Cristina T..
184 reviews98 followers
May 8, 2016
First read: January 2016
Reread: March 2016 – BR with Trisha

~~~~~

Fact #1: I love Charlie Cochet. Fact #2: She is an evil author. Fact #3: This book is amazing.

Catch a Tiger by the Tail is written from Calvin and Hobbs' points of view, and it focuses on their relationship. Fear not, Destructive Delta is as present as ever. There's action, excitement, a lot of fun shenanigans, and pain. So much pain. Little piece of advice: Have a good supply of things that comfort you and keep it close. Chocolate, a steaming cup of coffee, a blanket you love to cuddle in, you name it. And tissues. Lots of them.

The first half of this book is all fun and games, so much that I started asking myself what Charlie was talking about when she mentioned the angst. I was laughing my ass off half the time, when the team got together and they were all being their awesome selves. I was lured into a false sense of security, but the second half broke me. It made me want to reach into the book and hug both Calvin and Hobbs.

These two have been friends since they were kids, and they've been struggling to survive for just as long. Ethan's Selective Mutism and severe anxiety is something he deals with on a daily basis. Nevertheless, he's been taught from an early age that it doesn't define him, that he, as a person, is strong and capable. Calvin is his knight in shining armor, coming to his rescue and getting into fights with anyone who dares to hurt Hobbs.

Because of everything they went through, Calvin and Ethan share a bond that's unbreakable. This books shines some light on what goes on inside Hobbs' head, his way of experiencing the world, but also on Calvin, who has had more than his fair share of a hard life. Calvin is the type of person to keep it all bottled up inside, but slowly, he learns to lean on Hobbs, too.

Their relationship slowly morphs into something more when Hobbs is able to learn how to deal with the fear of losing his best friend. And it's amazing to see it happen, so worth the wait. Also, you know how they say it's always the quiet ones... Well, prepare for some amazingly hot and kinky sex, because these two... Phew! Just saying. ;-)

I also liked finding out more about Hobbs' family, because their struggles put things into perspective. There's also snippets of Calvin's past, who's had to fend for himself since he was young. To be honest, the one who surprised me the most was Rafe, and his confession made me feel bad for him, even though I still want to punch him for treating Ethan like shit in the past.

Now, want to know why Charlie is an evil author? Because Catch a Tiger ends in a damn cliffhanger, that's why!!! Why, oh why??? I have to admit I'm very nervous about Smoke & Mirrors, because it's bound to be very emotional–who am I kidding, I love angst, haha–but it can't get published fast enough! ♥

Favorite scene... I just needed an excuse to post this photo, but trust me, the scene was golden! LOL.

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Susan.
2,174 reviews381 followers
February 27, 2019
In my original review I stated I didn’t really like Calvin. Well, I liked him way better this time. I’m not sure why I didn’t like him all that much before, but now I thought he was sweet and very tenacious in his love for Ethan.

Most of the relationship trouble happened in the previous books, so I was glad this book mostly concentrated on them really getting together.

I was also glad the whole case with Hogan was finished and that the team had some regular cases this time. I felt that the team could finally relax a bit.

I love Dex and Sloane, but Calvin and Ethan (Hobbs) were quite the cute couple too. It was nice seeing them get their HEA.

description

Oh, and I LOVED the scene with the box.

description
Profile Image for Kati *☘︎・゚ readsRomance.
417 reviews85 followers
September 8, 2022
4.25**** stars

Awwww, really. Ethan is such a sweetheart and Cal is even more with all his understanding and patience for Ethan with his selective mutism and social anxieties. These two childhood best friends deserve each other and all their love for each other as well. ♡♡♡

And uugh, all the ache I feel for all three of the Hobbs brothers. I’m very curious how it’ll all turn out along the way.

[fyi: Ethan, a tiger Therian (as are his two brothers), and Calvin (human) both THIRD agents and work together as partners one the same team with the others and Sloane as their team leader.]

*************
I have no idea what was funnier. The felid Therians and that huge box when it was moving day for Sloane and Dex or the scene when almost the whole team was debating bondage and sex toys in Ethan’s and Cal’s office *lmaoooo Or wait, not to mention that scene when…

Okay, so not that it wasn’t sweet to get into the POV’s of the two other couples on the team but I’m glad we’re returning to Dex and Sloane in the next books.

************
All my reviews for the THIRDS series:

Book #1 - Hell & High Water - 4.25 stars
Book #8 - Thick & Thin (novella) - 4.25 stars
Book #9 - Darkest Hour Before Dawn - 4.5 stars
Book #9.5 - Gummy Bears & Grenades (novella) - 4.5 stars
Book #10 - Tried & True - 4.75 stars
Profile Image for Wendys Wycked Words.
1,549 reviews3,803 followers
March 25, 2016
Wow....this book was awesome !!! I loved Hobbs and Calvin. I especially liked being in Hobbs' head. He doesn't talk much, because of his selective mutism, so it was wonderfull to finally get an insight, into what he was thinking. He was such an amazing character, so sweet and sexy. I loved his dominant sexy side...hot damn ;)

I always liked Calvin and I was so happy to see his relationship with Hobbs progress, he was very sweet and patient. They are a match made in heaven :))

The previous book, didn't have a very high steam level, but this one sure knocked my socks off (or my panties..to be specific) I also found it funnier than the last book. Dex will always be the joker, but Hobbs and Calvin also had me cracking up !!

The only complaint I have about this one is the freaking cliffhanger !! I want to know what's going on!! The waiting is gonna be so hard :( I really hope there will be many more books about these characters, because I love each and every one of them !!

5 Huge stars from me !!
Profile Image for Meags.
2,068 reviews353 followers
October 6, 2016
5 Stars

As excited as I was to finally get in some Calvin and Hobbs action, I wasn’t expecting it to be my favourite book of the series, but to my absolute delight it very much was!

I really loved the character development explored in this story, particularly where Calvin was concerned. I felt like he was a bit of a mystery up until this story (at least to me) and I revelled in getting to know him better here. He has such a good heart and always puts the welfare of those he loves before his own happiness. As Destructive Delta’s sniper in residence, Calvin has to deal with some pretty intense situations on the job and this story explored his role within the team and the possible emotional and psychological repercussions of his job requirements in great depth. Then there was his changing relationship with Ethan, where they went from lifelong friends to lovers. They showed such sweetness and compassion to one another. The progression of their love story was great and it made my heart sigh with contentment.

Ethan Hobbs has held a very special place in my heart since I first met the fabulous team members of Destructive Delta. I have a thing for strong, formidable men, who also have hearts of gold, but face insecurities and are shy beyond belief. Hobbs epitomizes these contrasting traits to a T. Unfortunately, he deals with some fairly crippling psychological issues, including selective mutism and social anxiety. His struggles were often difficult to witness, but his fierce loyalty and devotion to his friends and family were a heart-warming sight to see. He’s a great man, a fantastic THIRDS agent (despite his personal problems) and an even better friend and (eventual) boyfriend to Calvin. I absolutely adore this guy.

There are two reasons why I loved this addition to the series so much – those reasons being the phenomenal cast of characters within this series and the high quality of humour that is delivered every single time. The ever-developing and always fantastic character dynamics between the members of Destructive Delta are fantastic. They are a family and are there for one another unequivocally through the good times and the hard times. They are now all so comfortable around one another that all the banter has become a thing of true comic brilliance; they show the kind of unconsciously natural rapport people have with one another when they know each other so well and can goof off and tease each other under the veil of love and affection. It’s so much fun to read and I just know many of the lighthearted scenes in this story will keep me laughing for a long while to come.

I truly enjoyed this and can't wait for more - which is a necessity after that cliffhanger of all cliffhanger endings! I'll be reading the next book immediately!

Profile Image for Debra.
1,965 reviews227 followers
February 5, 2016
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

This installment is one many THIRDS fans have been wanting to get their hands on, and I can’t imagine that they will be disappointed with Calvin and Hobbs’ story. The majority of the focus of this book really was on the relationships, with less action than in some of the prior stories, but I didn’t mind it one bit.

Calvin Summers and Ethan Hobbs have been best friends most of their lives, but over the past year the line between friends and “more than” has been blurring. Making the leap into a romantic relationship has not been going smoothly. There have been a few tentative steps in that direction, with Calvin making his feelings clear, but Hobbs has always pulled away in that regard.

With Ethan’s severe anxiety and selective mutism, the fiercely protective Calvin has often been his voice in the previous books, but now, finally we get to hear what Ethan is thinking. Just because he can’t always express his thoughts, doesn’t make Ethan any less of a growly, possessive Alpha than the rest of the Therians on the team and I think you’ll agree when you read it that a turned on, jealous, possessive Ethan Hobbs has plenty to say and it’s sexy as hell!

Are there kinks in the developing relationship? Hell yeah there are and let’s just say that not all of them are unwelcome or unexpected. In addition to the physical chemistry between the two, there are all sorts of feels going on here. Ethan has a difficult time with his family, including a sick father and a brother that just won’t give him a break. As much as Rafe gives Ethan a hard time though, his other brother Seb gives Ethan just the same back in unconditional love and support. Ethan also suffers from nightmares about his recent capture and depression relating to his disability.

It’s not just Ethan who has a hard time though. We get a perspective on what Calvin goes through psychologically as the team’s sniper. The latest situation where Calvin was forced to pull the trigger weighs on him not just psychologically, but also results in a dangerous backlash from the family of the man he is forced to shoot. As much as Calvin always has Ethan’s back, the reverse is also true. These two are so good together that it is clear from the start that regardless of what happens in the romance department, Calvin and Hobbs will be there for each other through thick and thin.

There is plenty of time spent with all the other couples and the team as a whole. There may not be as much action as in some of the other installments, but we do see the team working and training together in both their human and therian forms. Dex, Sloane, Ash and Cael are all well represented and while Charlie Cochet really concentrates on the relationship between Calvin and Ethan, the two other Hobbs brothers also get some time in this story. There are laughs, a few tears, some surprises and a lot of turning points. You’ll come away feeling for the entire Hobbs clan and you may even come to like the grouchy Rafe.

The main case the team is working on is wrapped up here, and while the ongoing storyline involving their secret TINS training, and Schultzon’s drug testing took a back seat for most of the story it is not forgotten. This felt like a transitional book as far as those continuing storylines go. The team is still questioning Sparks’ motivations and her endgame is uncertain, but that all comes back into focus in the end. I hate to say it, but one thing fans may not be happy about at the end? The cliffhanger!

This was my favorite book in what has been a spectacular series so far. I think most THIRDS fans are going to get what they were looking for from this book and will be counting the days until the next release date.

Profile Image for Fabi.
1,009 reviews145 followers
October 29, 2019

I loved this even more than I thought I would. Cal and Ethan are super sweet together. We got lots of action and lots of time with our other beloved characters. As usual, the crime aspect of the story leaves a bit to be desired. But that is not why I read these. It's all of those hunky Therians and their lovely Humans. I adore this series.

PS. This one ends on a cliffhanger 😡
Profile Image for Erth.
3,381 reviews
September 12, 2020
When I first heard that Dex's new teammates were named Calvin and Hobbs, I laughed. I was a huge fan of the cartoon when I was a kid so I thought it was really cute. But as I started to get to know these guys, I knew I wanted their story. I wanted them together as a couple and couldn't wait to see it happen. This book was everything I wanted it to be and more. I loved seeing Calvin finally get his man. I loved how sweet they were together. Every minute they were wrapped in each other's arms was perfect. I was a little surprised when they finally made it to bed but it was really hot and worked for them. As always, the team was an integral part of the story and there was plenty of action and laughs. But that ending shocked me. I can't believe it ended that way. I'm really glad I'm not reading this series as the books are released because I would be so upset right now. Thankfully I can jump right into the next book and don't have to wait.
Profile Image for M.I.A.
406 reviews77 followers
August 2, 2020
5+++ Stars. Best one so far!!!
Calvin & Ethan burnt up my kindle!!!!!!
Man, those two have the hottest chemistry from all the couples in my wise opinion hehe

Sigh, I'm such a sucker for a friend-to-lover especially because Calvin and Ethan have been in each other's lives since they were kids. Epic. Beautiful. I LOVE these two!

**** minor spoilers ahead ****

I enjoyed this one a lot more then Ash & Cael's love story. There is just so much more depth here that is truly felt. Calvin's emotional struggle with his job as a sniper, what it means to him each time he pulls the trigger. Ethan himself is an enigma, sensitive, timid, struggling with anxiety but unleash him in bed and he turns into the tiger that he is. These two have had such an intimate and beautiful relationship from the beginning that watching it flourish and mold into the romantic is glorious and deeply moving. All the FEELS.

And Hudson and Seb :( Cochet layers their story so perfectly. The heartbreak. Despite their deep love and bond unable to shake the day they chose each other over the life of a child. The guilt eating away at anything good they have between them. Sigh. Seriously can't wait for their story.

Oh man the revelation about Rafe shook me. Cochet character building skills are impressive. No character left without deep layers. Each of them intricate, complicated with their own motivation.
I might as well just throw away any preconceived notion about any character at this point.

This book was so intense all the way to the end with big ass cliffhanger. By far my favorite book of the series!
Loved. Seriously Loved. I can't even stop myself from diving straight into the next book.

Profile Image for Caroline Brand.
1,740 reviews70 followers
February 22, 2020
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

What is it about this series that has captured all our imaginations and left us clamouring for the next book? The entire Thirds series has become a huge comfort read series for me – if I have a book hangover I return to Dex and Sloane, if I’m out walking or if I’m travelling I turn on the audio books and return to Dex and Sloane. It’s not even all about Dex or Sloane either, I love the whole damn team!

Catch a Tiger by the Tail, book 6, Ethan and Calvin’s turn for the spotlight and a perfect title for their book as it refers to a habit formed in their childhood, a fact that is so important in their relationship. They have been friends, confidantes, allies and each other’s saviours since they were kids. They know what the other needs usually before they even need it, they are totally in love with one another but their fears keep holding them back from taking that final step.

Ethan doesn’t deal well with change and Calvin’s attitude towards him has certainly changed recently. No longer willing to hide how he truly feels Calvin has made no secret that he wants more from Ethan and is prepared to wait for however long that takes. Just because he is prepared to wait doesn’t mean that he won’t remind Ethan at every opportunity and there are some not so secret looks and touches that the whole team start to notice.

There is the usual mayhem and madness as we dive back in with Destructive Delta and I love that even though the books look at different team members you still get to enjoy the team as a whole. Every single one of them is rooting for Ethan and Calvin and offers their support when needed. By the end of the story I just wanted to wrap Ethan up as he fought against his demons but that’s what Calvin was there for. Also, kinky! Who knew? The team conversation about where to buy and what to use was very funny and even Sparks got involved! Charlie Cochet’s usual humour is very apparent again and really adds a lot to the story.

This is a story of healing with a surprising amount of feels. Ethan’s first tremulous words to Rafe and his much stronger voice in intimate moments with Calvin all meld to make this another immediate favourite of mine.

The ending – holy hell the ending! You all need something to hold onto when you get there. It is a whopper of a cliff-hanger, a huge HUGE tease to prepare for the next book and it really needs to be July already!
Profile Image for Cory .
727 reviews86 followers
February 10, 2016
I love you Ethan Hobbs! You are completely adorable and I totally want to wrap you in a big hug!

I love this group of guys. They are funny, hot, sexy, and badass....so what's not to love?? The ending!! Seriously, the next book needs to come out NOW!

I really love this series. Oh, by the way, the part in this book when Hobbs was doing some 'research' on his computer was hilarious!
Profile Image for Novia.
44 reviews2 followers
November 8, 2016
UPDATED 2/14

SOLID 3.5 Stars! No GIFS this go round because I just... can't with this one. You hear me? I CAN'T.

P.S. I cuss....a lot.

:Pinches the bridge of my nose and closes my eye:

Okay so :sighs: Let's just try to wrap up this summary first.

Catch a Tiger by its Tail is the story of Team Cobbs consisting of Tiger Therarian Ethan Hobbs and his human partner/best friend fo' life Calvin Summers. The book covers their adjustment from BFFS to lovers fo sho' while dealing with: bottled up nerosis, family issues, social anxiety, selective mutism issues as well as the often explosive dangerous opportunities provided by their jobs. Seriously, that's it. Their adjustments aren't great by any means there isn't really any angst, there's some fucking if that makes you feel better but that pretty much covers it.

:DEEP SIGH: Now the review...

So if you look at my past reviews of this series you know I am TEAM THIRDS all ze way but I feel like all the other relationship books outside of Team Sexy Pants (aka Sloane and Dexter) are seemingly more and more just throwaway filler until she gets back to Team Sexy Pants. Which to me is an utter waste of the good character building done in the first 2-3 books.

And I just wanna put there that there isn't necessarily anything bad about this book,but there isn't anything spectacular about it either. It's just meh. *Don't hate me Charlie I still think you're the ish* Which kinda pisses me off because I LOVE the idea of Hobbs character dealing with his disabilities and I love the idea of his bestie going to bat for him despite clear genetic and physical differences since Day 1. Calvin had the potential to be something a bit more...dare I say...gritty? Something with a bit more flesh on his bone. In my mind, someone doesn't grow up in a poor, single parent home an only child and come out as an adult a typical middle class, all around American boy, who's a fucking sniper, in a high stress job with only the need to withhold some emotions from your BFF and a control kink. Calvin is Ethan's ride or die bish and he needed more of an edge in personality than what he got.

I would like to note that there was the usual humor and shenanigans and some DOMINATING *wink wink* steam. The action part of the book was...well...meh. I just wish it would've had more substance to it like the first 3 books.

* WARNING RANT AHEAD *

But damn it if Dexter and Sloane didn't steal the scene EVERY! FUCKING! TIME! they were in one! I love Dex and Sloane but damn it it's not their effing book! *Gets off soapbox*

That said its a solid read, it's not bad, it's just filler with another cliffie ending for characters that aren't them. Personally, I did not anticipate this book as much as the others because of the slightly petty taste the Cael and Ash book left in my mouth that it took me months to figure out what it was. Which I only realized why AFTER I read THIS book. I didn't open the book as quickly as I did the others. And honestly my reading this served as filler for me waiting for another book which I AM stalking the release date for later this month.

Charlie I REALLY hope that the next characters' stories you touch don't have Sloane and Dex in them AT ALL. Or at the most they're side characters, not side chicks like they've been in the past 2 because err'body knows side chicks still get a whole lotta attention. Because it's showing me that you don't believe that the other characters can stand without Team Sexy Pants. There can be humor and not because of a Dex and Slaone (but mostly Dex) tidbit. And a they can be good people while having a personality that runs deeper and has at least 2-3 more facets to them than just varying differentiations of the all American boy. And hardcore THIRDS lovers like me can see Dex and Sloane in other characters' stories without them taking over. I promise.

Xoxo
_____________________________

Yay Team Cobbs!

Looks at the date:

Profile Image for Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥.
1,224 reviews138 followers
February 5, 2016
I’ve been waiting on this couple since book one. Finally my baby Hobbs gets his own book. I was super happy to be reading his story. I am all for the damaged hottie/broody guys. It’s my weakness next to to tall, dark haired man with a ego problem. How you doing Sloane? The guys on Destructive Delta have come along way from book one. I’ve seen Calvin & Ethan develop over the last several books. I mean I could just feel the feelz with these two and sadly I read this and it was just okay.

Dare I say it. I needed angst. I know people, calm down it’s me. This was to easy, and yeah maybe it should be easy because they are friends, but it’s much more than that. They have the longest history with each other outside of Ash & Sloane. Maybe I should dissect it into two categories. I felt like the plot & the relationship were working against each other. The plot was nowhere to be found. I understand the concept of filler books, but with this series and the first 3 books being on Dex & Sloane that’s where the filler should have been at. The lack of plot is bothering me. It didn’t congeal with the rest of the series until the end. Even that was side-eyeish to me. I don’t know if I buy it. It doesn’t seem like it’s realistic in this series. Or if it is, then it should have been clues somewhere in the first 5 books. I can’t grasp my mind around that it was thrown out their in the end.

**Sidenote** Sparks and Daddy Maddox are totally shipping together right now. I definitely feel the UST between those two. Ms. Cochet you might want to get on them. I would totally read that.

The relationship while some parts were okay, other parts didn’t live up to the notion in my head. My biggest questions surrounded Ethan. His mutanism and social anxiety are severe. We see it, in the series he only talks to 2 people and maybe Dex. For me if this was my ideal world I wanted Ethan to be a virgin. That’s not taking away from what Charlie did, I just feel like when did he have past sexual experiences. With who? It’s not connecting for me and his character sadly. He’s my favorite so I’m super protective over him. I also feel like Calvin was a hindrance more than helping him. I know it’s his best friend, and you can see the love between the two, but Ethan doesn’t have to grow, or be on his own for a change without everyone assisting. This is definitely where I feel like the story lacked the passion, emotions and the angst from previous couples. Physically they were electrifying. Oh my goodness they were hot, but not much else happened emotionally between the two. I did like the coupling of them, and I liked the joint family history between the two families. I probably would have felt better if each guy had someone else to talk to to lead into Calvin & Ethan coming to terms with their relationship. Again I was looking for the angst.

All in all, I think it was an okay story. The story line was okay, the relationship was okay. The future is up in the air at this point wise. I’m still going to love the ish out of Ethan, but he got the short stick people. Charlie, why you do me like this boo?? I wanted to get really emotional with these two. Can’t wait for more.

Review @ description
Profile Image for BevS.
2,691 reviews2 followers
February 15, 2016
 photo Destructive-Delta-Logo_zpsczpmca6d.png

photo Ethan-Hobbs200_zpscorrzggc.jpg and  photo CalvinSummers200-CCochet_zpsdvevpuwg.jpg

currently shipping as 'Cobbs' I believe, hehe.

What a great read this is, it could be the best of the bunch Charlie, lots of laugh out loud moments (the sex bet, the packing cases, Ethan trying unsuccessfully to keep his internet browsing private and Ash lording it around the pool...until he's pulled in) but also tears, tears for the Hobbs family as a whole, for Cal, for Hudson...and that ending?? Oh no, a shocker.....5 stars from me.
Profile Image for Jewel.
1,779 reviews242 followers
February 18, 2016
Though Dex and Sloane are my favorite couple in this series, Ethan and Calvin are a close second. Ethan has such a vulnerability to him that makes me want to hug him and wrap him in cotton and keep him safe. But, he is just as capable as any of the THIRDS alpha men. He's just quieter. And - finally - he and Calvin are finding their way!

I loved Catch a Tiger by the Tail and how it explored Ethan and Calvin's relationship and furthered the main storyline a bit. I cannot wait for more -and not just because there is a cliffy! Next book takes us back to Dex and Sloane to resolve that cliffhanger.

This is another series I will need to marathon reread once the series finishes. Love it.
Profile Image for Elsbeth.
1,173 reviews41 followers
July 11, 2016

I'm going to be short about this cause I really need to get to reading the next one...
I loved Ethan and Cavin. They were very sweet. Of course Dex will be my all time favorite, and I really love all these guys. This series is genious!!

So if you don't mind, I'll be off to Smokes & Mirrors

Displaying 1 - 30 of 652 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.