Start by marking “Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)” as Want to Read:
Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)

Against the Grain

(THIRDS #5)

As the fiercest Defense Agent at the THIRDS, Destructive Delta’s Ash Keeler is foul-mouthed and foul-tempered. But his hard-lined approach always yields results, evident by his recent infiltration of the Coalition. Thanks to Ash’s skills and the help of his team, they finally put an end to the murdering extremist group for good, though not before Ash takes a bullet to save ...more
Published August 3rd 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Against the Grain, please sign up.
Bloodred Yes according to Charlie's website it will be available in audible in October

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Charlie Cochet, why did you do this to me?! Ash and Cael's story was supposed to be epic!!

I'm having a pity party over here, folks. I've been waiting on this story for the past few mediocre THIRDS books, and I was honestly expecting greatness. I've seen some glowing reviews, so I guess some people lovedclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
~Mindy Lynn~

Yeah... That's exactly how I'm feeling after finishing this.

I was so excited about this story. I feel like I waited so long to get it and in the end it left me feeling just so unsatisfied.

I have a feeling I am going to be very alone in this boat of unsatisfactory.

But for me it just all kind of came off as predictable and the humor seemed so cheesy to me. The relationship felt kind of rushed as did the story even though it was over 200 pages. I wasn't feeling the Ex-boyfriend thing and especia
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

Got to admit....I'm a little disappointed with this one. Don't get me wrong I still liked it.

But I really felt like I was reading about a completely different Cael and Ash then what was portrayed in the previous books in the series.

I was always curious about what was holding Ash back, and I knew Cael would end up being a bit of a doormat, but I found myself a little bored with their romance.

I think my favorite parts of the book were the scenes with Dex and Sloane. I really never thought I wo
Nazanin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2015
3.75 Grumpy & Nerdy Stars

This wasn’t what I expected for Ash & Cael’s story and you know how long I waited to read it but still enjoyable. I expected something more for them. Their relationship went so smoothly. And another thing that bothered me was that the main focus wasn’t on them it was scattered between others. The first half was more about Sloane & Dex (from Ash & Cael’s POV), don’t get me wrong, there is no complaint here, you know who is my fave but still it was unfa
Dalia
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, military, shifters

It's time for Cash' story! In this book we finally get to know these guys better and see others from their point of view.

Cael and Ash both have their own demons they have to battle. Ash cares for Cael and he wants to be with him, but he's afraid of letting people get close to his heart. Though the feelings they have for one another are already strong and Ash tries to get his stuff together, so they can make their relationship work.

"I think I might die of how adorable this is," Ash said. "This sort of cute shwork.
Dia
3,5 rounded up

It pains me to admit this was my least favorite in the series. I had such high hopes for this one. I've been dying to get to Cael and Ash's story. I absolutely loved them in all the other books, but here I didn't get what I expected. I wanted to smack Ash so many times! I felt like this dragged too much. There were SO many unnecessary scenes and Cael was super patient! I know I couldn't be this patient.

We already know about Ash's sad past from the previous books. So he
Trisha Harrington
5 stars!

Against the Grain is the fifth book in Charlie Cochet’s THIRDS series. I’m a huge fan of this series. It’s addictive and I love the characters and enjoy seeing what they get up to, both good and bad.

Against the Grain is a little different than the first four books. This time, we get Ash and Cael as our MCs instead of Dex and Sloane. Honestly, it was so good to get these two at last. It feels like it’s taken forever for them to get to their own book. This series is one of my favorites. It’s got extremel
Shile

5+++++ for the Audio-book.

Mark Westfield's voice was made for these books. I love how he has been consistent with the voices from book 1. You can easily tell who is who.

I have loved Ash and Cael from book 1. They had chemistry from the get-go. BUT their book was a disappointment. Going in i expected to be blown away but sad to say i was not.

description

Ash- the Lion Therian, was just off. His character turned into this "i can't be with him because of my past". At some point i wanted to smack him in the head to wake the fuck up.

Cael- my swstars
5+++++
Barbara➰
Reread June 2019

Ash didn't annoy me as much this time around...go figure. I still didn't buy why he kept pushing Cael away. I wish it would have been explained better or more on page time to figuring it out because then all of sudden he's "okay". I didn't buy it.

Originally read August 2018

**3.5 Stars**

So this one was probably my least favorite so far. I was really looking forward to Ash & Cael's story. This is just a me thing, but I had a hard time buying Ash's reluctan/>Originally
Adam
DNF at 67%, and a good chunk of that was me skimming over the unnecessary filler.

Really, I have no one to blame but myself. Rise & Fall was barely 3 stars for me, and after reading a few of the lower-rated reviews for this book, I had a feeling that Against the Grain wouldn't be much better. But I had pre-ordered it, so I thought I might as well give it a try. I was disappointed, to say the least.

I was really looking forward to Ash and Cael's book, but this definitely wasn't what I'd expected. Ash and Cael were bare
Shay J
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
another update, I have in fact finished the book:

UPDATE!!!! I got the book :

Original Review:
OHMYGOD ASH AND CAEL's STORY!!!
After 4 books of sexual tension they are getting their own bookkkkkkk!!!
I AM HYPERVENTILATING!

GIVE

ME

IT

NOWWWWWWWW

Marte - Thunderella
*** 3,5 not what I hoped for stars ***

Rating 3 stars, and extra half star for old times sake and the story picked up towards the end.

Okay, so where to start.

First, I hoped for more with this book. I mean, it's Cael and Ash! I've been waiting for ever to get their story. What I got was not what I had hoped for.

There was literally no relationship build up in this one. No UST (Unresolved Sexual Tension). In the previous book Cael and Ash kissed, so that removes the exciteme
Diana
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Can Contain Spoilers*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

My luck ran out. Book number five centers around Dex's adopted brother and a cheetah Therian, THIRDS Destructive Delta Agent Tech Expert, Cael Maddock (27?) and Sloane's best friend, Ash Keeler (37? 38? 39?), a lion Therian and Destructive Delta's entry tactics and CQC expert. I had kinda hoped every book would be centering around Dex and Sloane as I feel like their story isn't complete, but I was certain I wouldn't get my wish, and right I was. However, from what I gathered, this one (
Bev
Ash irritated the crap outta me, hence the 4 star rating. Loved Cael but Ash's ridiculous pushing away got old after a while
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Okay Charlie, you had me for a microsecond there. It was good egg on my face, because I was ready to flip the crap out. You could have not done better IMO for Ash & Cael to me. I liked the pace that they took. I'm so happy it was not instant for them to get together. Thank you for kinda giving us strictly contemporary at this point. I know it's PNR, but I was kinda tired from the first few books and I kept forgetting things. LOL. I liked the refresher on terms at the beginning as well. Good
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

It’s been a long time coming getting Ash and Cael together, and though not as epic as I would’ve liked, this still had its sweet and poignant moments. As always, for me the happy ending that we get for these two is what ultimately counts.

Of course I loved seeing gruff, grumpy Ash fall hard and show his softer, vulnerable side. In turn, Cael is just one of the best guys ever. He has infinite patience and is devout in his love and utter trust with the reluctant Ash. Though
Arch Bala
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I really did my best to get in the zone with this one but it’s not just for me. I ignored Ash’s asshatery towards Cael since he came around eventually but the story just didn’t click for me. Reading Austen’s POV was such a distraction and the whole Therian Intelligence Network (TIN) just made the whole thing a hot mess. The out made for Sparks was just all too convenient – and….

description

I loved that we still have a lot of Dex-time here who totally saved this read for me. I didn’t enjoy this one as much
Cory
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
BR with Sandi! Ash and Cael, Ash and Cael!! Hell yeah! I was so excited for this one and it didn't fall below my expectations!

How can a big, manly, lion Therian be afraid to fall in love? Well, enter Ash and hear his story from his childhood and you will understand. But who better to melt his heart than sweet and adorable Cael. One of the best parts is that Cael is Dex's brother and Dex and Ash are like oil and water.

What happens when two characters like Ash and Cael have
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.5 Stars
BWT (Belen)
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: THIRDS Nerds
3.5 Stars

Can I tell you how excited I was to finally get Ash and Cael’s story? VERY EXCITED! There may have been some squeals heard when I got this book. Maybe. Though I’ll deny it actually happening if anyone asks.

I’ve been waiting for their story ever since Hell & High Water.

Picking up immediately where Rise & Fall left off Against the Grain starts off humorous with Tony confronting Sloane and Ash
Macky
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's no doubt, Charlie has this entertaining series in the bag! As a means of escapism, when you just want to shut real life 'off' for a few hours, time spent with these guys and their action packed, fun, but still dangerous and exciting, escapades is the perfect diversion. What I love, is that having followed the series from the beginning, each time a new novel comes out, it feels like catching up with old friends. I know it's only fiction but Charlie has breathed life into this familiar, lo ...more
Susan
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Re-read February 2019
❤❤❤

-----------------------------------------

I liked this more than I expected. A lot of my friends were disappointed in this book, so my expectations were very low. And I think that helped.

I got why some people would be disappointed in Cael and Ash’s story, because yes, this could have been better, but I was still happy with the way things turned out.

I expected lots of angst, since everyone was complaining about Ash getting his head out of his ass, but the relationship angst happened in the previous books, it wasn't too bad in this boo
~Volha~
It was good to see the vulnerable gentle side that Ash displayed in this book. It made me actually see him in different light. It was bad that it took him so long to finally let go of the feelings he has carried since his teen years, but once he did, his and Cael's relationship was so passionate and at times sweet. Cael's past really surprised me. In a way it also showed the family dynamics between Cael, Dex and Tony. I liked getting a glimpse into their past. And Ash's life out of the office le ...more
Dani
This wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. I laughed my ass off with Dex, I still think he’s awesome but there’s my problem!! This book is about Cael and Ash, they should be the one entertaining me, no Dex! *sigh* It pains me to say this, especially when I've been enjoying the rest so much, but this book was a bit tiresome for me.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the repetition. These books aren’t standalone so I don’t get why the author has to repeat everything that happen
haletostilinski
4.5 Stars

Oh man, I dunno why I took such a long break with these books. Probably in part because of reviews I read for this, which didn't always favor it, and the fact that Dex and Sloane weren't the main couple of this one.

But I needn't have worried. I love this world, I love the characters, their relationships, and even though Dex and Sloane, who are still my faves in this series, aren't the main focus, they're still heavily featured of course, and that made me happy.

This is Ash and Cael
Cristina T.
First read: August 2015
Reread: March 2016 – BR with Trisha

~~~~~

I was kinda nervous about reading this book, because I skimmed a few reviews beforehand, and a lot of them contained the lines 'not what I hoped for'. I tried not to let that temper my excitement, and thought I should just see how I perceived the book, as we all see things differently. Well, the thing is, up until the 63% mark, I was prepared to give this book 3 stars. But the second half was way better, so I'll settle with 4 stars.

Warning: I can't organize my thoughts enoughstars.
Warning:
2015
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Dear world, please stop spinning for a while. You see, the new THIRDS book is out and people have far more interesting things to do than participate in normal, everyday activities. We’ll rejoin you shortly. Thank you. Sincerely, THIRDS Nerds.

It’s been just over a year since the first THIRD book was released, but I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t crazy about Sloane, Dex, Cael, Ash and the rest of Destructive Delta. The world Cochet created for us is one of the rare few that envelops comple
Meags
4 Stars

Finally – finally – I’m up to Ash and Cael’s story. Hooray!!

Since my induction to this series, I have been chomping at the bit to get to Ash and Cael’s book, and I must say, I wasn’t disappointed! Sure, I could have done with more sexy times than were had here, because I’m a pervy-perv who wants all the book sex to be had in epic horny glory, but I can’t always get my way (nor should I).

The plot was enjoyable, although not as succinct in its focus as in the previous stories where Destructi
Paul
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
WOW, just when you think THIRDS can't get better it does.

Charlie has out done herself with Against The Grain. It's book 5 of a series but a POV changes and it's actually rejuvenates this awesome continuation of the story.

It's also different too and you get to see even further into the darker underbelly of the corporation .

I can't imagine a single THIRDS fan not enjoying this book. It's been my favourite so far.
Turning Pages At ...: Against the Grain (THIRDS #5) by Charlie Cochet 29 13 Sep 28, 2019 10:12AM

• Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf, #3)
  • Cross & Crown (Sidewinder, #2)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Lesser Evils (Infected #6)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Not My Spook! (Spy vs. Spook, #2)
  • Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange #1)
  • Dirty Deeds (Cole McGinnis, #4)
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon #2)
  • Prickly Business (Portland Pack Chronicles, #1)
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devourin

THIRDS (10 books)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS, #4)
  • Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, #6)
  • Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
  • Thick & Thin (THIRDS, #8)
  • Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS, #9)
  • Tried & True (THIRDS, #10)
“He’d never admit it, but he counted Dex among his family. Sort of like the annoying brother-in-law. You’re happy he’s making your bro happy, but damn, sometimes you just wanted to punch him in his stupid smiley face. Who the hell smiled that much, anyway? A crazy person, that’s who.” 7 likes
“Come on, big guy. Let’s hit the showers.”

Cael patted Ash’s chest and walked off. Ash followed, but not before shoving Dex. He grinned when Dex fell into Taylor, his cheese snacks soaring through the air and hitting the carpet.

“My Cheesy Doodles!” Dex dropped to his hands and knees. “Noooooo! They were so young. So delicious.”
6 likes