Start by marking “Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)” as Want to Read:
Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)

Against the Grain (THIRDS #5)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  2,467 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
As the fiercest Defense Agent at the THIRDS, Destructive Delta’s Ash Keeler is foul-mouthed and foul-tempered. But his hard-lined approach always yields results, evident by his recent infiltration of the Coalition. Thanks to Ash’s skills and the help of his team, they finally put an end to the murdering extremist group for good, though not before Ash takes a bullet to save ...more
Published August 3rd 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Against the Grain, please sign up.

Bloodred Yes according to Charlie's website it will be available in audible in October

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Charlie Cochet, why did you do this to me?! Ash and Cael's story was supposed to be epic!!

I'm having a pity party over here, folks. I've been waiting on this story for the past few mediocre THIRDS books, and I was honestly expecting greatness. I've seen some glowing reviews, so I guess some people loved this one, but for me I think I'm being generous with my rating.

What really bothered me was Ash's lackluster and totally wimpy excuses as to why he wouldn't or couldn't be with Cael. I
~Lynn~

Yeah... That's exactly how I'm feeling after finishing this.

I was so excited about this story. I feel like I waited so long to get it and in the end it left me feeling just so unsatisfied.

I have a feeling I am going to be very alone in this boat of unsatisfactory.

But for me it just all kind of came off as predictable and the humor seemed so cheesy to me. The relationship felt kind of rushed as did the story even though it was over 200 pages. I wasn't feeling the Ex-boyfriend thing and especia
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5 Stars!

Got to admit....I'm a little disappointed with this one. Don't get me wrong I still liked it.

But I really felt like I was reading about a completely different Cael and Ash then what was portrayed in the previous books in the series.

I was always curious about what was holding Ash back, and I knew Cael would end up being a bit of a doormat, but I found myself a little bored with their romance.

I think my favorite parts of the book were the scenes with Dex and Sloane. I really never tho
Dalia
Feb 03, 2015 Dalia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shifters, m-m, military

It's time for Cash' story! In this book we finally get to know these guys better and see others from their point of view.

Cael and Ash both have their own demons they have to battle. Ash cares for Cael and he wants to be with him, but he's afraid of letting people get close to his heart. Though the feelings they have for one another are already strong and Ash tries to get his stuff together, so they can make their relationship work.

"I think I might die of how adorable this is," Ash said. "This s
Trisha Harrington
5 stars!

Against the Grain is the fifth book in Charlie Cochet’s THIRDS series. I’m a huge fan of this series. It’s addictive and I love the characters and enjoy seeing what they get up to, both good and bad.

Against the Grain is a little different than the first four books. This time, we get Ash and Cael as our MCs instead of Dex and Sloane. Honestly, it was so good to get these two at last. It feels like it’s taken forever for them to get to their own book. This series is one of my favorites.
Mandapanda
2.5 stars. I vacillated between mild enjoyment, annoyance, and boredom in this book. What put me off the most was the flimsy excuse for a reason that Ash wouldn't commit to Cael. I love romance tropes just like the next person but I prefer it when the author fleshes them out with credible situations and emotions. That was totally missing here. All the best UST between Ash and Cael happened in previous books. Here Ash was in 'caretaker' mode. He had to look after the sweet, adorable Cael but didn ...more
Shay J
May 06, 2015 Shay J rated it really liked it
another update, I have in fact finished the book:

UPDATE!!!! I got the book :

Original Review:
OHMYGOD ASH AND CAEL's STORY!!!
After 4 books of sexual tension they are getting their own bookkkkkkk!!!
I AM HYPERVENTILATING!

GIVE

ME

IT

NOWWWWWWWW

Please and Thank you.
Marte
*** 3,5 not what I hoped for stars ***

Rating 3 stars, and extra half star for old times sake and the story picked up towards the end.

Okay, so where to start.

First, I hoped for more with this book. I mean, it's Cael and Ash! I've been waiting for ever to get their story. What I got was not what I had hoped for.

There was literally no relationship build up in this one. No UST (Unresolved Sexual Tension). In the previous book Cael and Ash kissed, so that removes the excitement of a first-kiss-scene
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Okay Charlie, you had me for a microsecond there. It was good egg on my face, because I was ready to flip the crap out. You could have not done better IMO for Ash & Cael to me. I liked the pace that they took. I'm so happy it was not instant for them to get together. Thank you for kinda giving us strictly contemporary at this point. I know it's PNR, but I was kinda tired from the first few books and I kept forgetting things. LOL. I liked the refresher on terms at the beginning as well. Good
Adam
DNF at 67%, and a good chunk of that was me skimming over the unnecessary filler.

Really, I have no one to blame but myself. Rise & Fall was barely 3 stars for me, and after reading a few of the lower-rated reviews for this book, I had a feeling that Against the Grain wouldn't be much better. But I had pre-ordered it, so I thought I might as well give it a try. I was disappointed, to say the least.

I was really looking forward to Ash and Cael's book, but this definitely wasn't what I'd expecte
Arch Bala
Feb 13, 2015 Arch Bala rated it liked it
I really did my best to get in the zone with this one but it’s not just for me. I ignored Ash’s asshatery towards Cael since he came around eventually but the story just didn’t click for me. Reading Austen’s POV was such a distraction and the whole Therian Intelligence Network (TIN) just made the whole thing a hot mess. The out made for Sparks was just all too convenient – and….

description

I loved that we still have a lot of Dex-time here who totally saved this read for me. I didn’t enjoy this one as much
Cory
Jul 17, 2014 Cory rated it really liked it
BR with Sandi! Ash and Cael, Ash and Cael!! Hell yeah! I was so excited for this one and it didn't fall below my expectations!

How can a big, manly, lion Therian be afraid to fall in love? Well, enter Ash and hear his story from his childhood and you will understand. But who better to melt his heart than sweet and adorable Cael. One of the best parts is that Cael is Dex's brother and Dex and Ash are like oil and water.

What happens when two characters like Ash and Cael have pent up sexual frustrat
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.5 Stars
BWT (Belen)
Nov 08, 2014 BWT (Belen) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: THIRDS Nerds
3.5 Stars

Can I tell you how excited I was to finally get Ash and Cael’s story? VERY EXCITED! There may have been some squeals heard when I got this book. Maybe. Though I’ll deny it actually happening if anyone asks.

I’ve been waiting for their story ever since Hell & High Water.

Picking up immediately where Rise & Fall left off Against the Grain starts off humorous with Tony confronting Sloane and Ash as to their intentions. As quickly as the humor comes so does the action, adventure, sexy
Macky
There's no doubt, Charlie has this entertaining series in the bag! As a means of escapism, when you just want to shut real life 'off' for a few hours, time spent with these guys and their action packed, fun, but still dangerous and exciting, escapades is the perfect diversion. What I love, is that having followed the series from the beginning, each time a new novel comes out, it feels like catching up with old friends. I know it's only fiction but Charlie has breathed life into this familiar, lo ...more
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

It’s been a long time coming getting Ash and Cael together, and though not as epic as I would’ve liked, this still had its sweet and poignant moments. As always, for me the happy ending that we get for these two is what ultimately counts.

Of course I loved seeing gruff, grumpy Ash fall hard and show his softer, vulnerable side. In turn, Cael is just one of the best guys ever. He has infinite patience and is devout in his love and utter trust with the reluctant Ash. Though I missed Dex an
Cristina T.
First read: August 2015
Reread: March 2016 – BR with Trisha

~~~~~

I was kinda nervous about reading this book, because I skimmed a few reviews beforehand, and a lot of them contained the lines 'not what I hoped for'. I tried not to let that temper my excitement, and thought I should just see how I perceived the book, as we all see things differently. Well, the thing is, up until the 63% mark, I was prepared to give this book 3 stars. But the second half was way better, so I'll settle with 4 stars.

W
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Dear world, please stop spinning for a while. You see, the new THIRDS book is out and people have far more interesting things to do than participate in normal, everyday activities. We’ll rejoin you shortly. Thank you. Sincerely, THIRDS Nerds.

It’s been just over a year since the first THIRD book was released, but I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t crazy about Sloane, Dex, Cael, Ash and the rest of Destructive Delta. The world Cochet created for us is one of the rare few that envelop
Paul
May 11, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
WOW, just when you think THIRDS can't get better it does.

Charlie has out done herself with Against The Grain. It's book 5 of a series but a POV changes and it's actually rejuvenates this awesome continuation of the story.

It's also different too and you get to see even further into the darker underbelly of the corporation .

I can't imagine a single THIRDS fan not enjoying this book. It's been my favourite so far.
Susan
Jul 15, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters, mm
I liked this more than I expected. A lot of my friends were disappointed in this book, so my expectations were very low. And I think that helped.

I got why some people would be disappointed in Cael and Ash’s story, because yes, this could have been better, but I was still happy with the way things turned out.

I expected lots of angst, since everyone was complaining about Ash getting his head out of his ass, but the relationship angst happened in the previous books, not really in this one.

Ash has i
Ari
Nov 15, 2014 Ari rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
So here's what happened in book 5...

As much as I enjoyed Ash & Cael being all cute and sweet and hot, I missed the action! We're talking about the top agents of top team, they supposed to hunt and taking down the bad guy, save the city, blow something up! (eh No? too bad...) Not cuddling up aww-ing on old babies photos, baking cookies or plays tickling games! Ok, you can still do that in Thanksgiving OR Christmas, NOT both times!
I missed Destructive Delta in ACTION!
And Dex, Cael, you are lik
~Kristin~
Feb 11, 2015 ~Kristin~ rated it really liked it
4 **I decided to round up** Stars
Brendy
Aug 22, 2015 Brendy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brendy by: Cristina T.
Ok, Ash and Cael
You know what? Given that this is Ash , that we are talking about, I was expecting a lot more of times of wanting to kill him; but he actually behaved pretty good… that’s love. I mean come on , read this:
”So why don’t you want to give us a chance?”
“Because I don’t want a chance. I want a whole lot more. I want everything with you for as long as I can get it. I’m terrified of messing up.”

description
How to be angry with him? I was more like:

I was pretty sad by Ash’s past, his parents, Arl
Meags
4 Stars

Finally – finally – I’m up to Ash and Cael’s story. Hooray!!

Since my induction to this series, I have been chomping at the bit to get to Ash and Cael’s book, and I must say, I wasn’t disappointed! Sure, I could have done with more sexy times than were had here, because I’m a pervy-perv who wants all the book sex to be had in epic horny glory, but I can’t always get my way (nor should I).

The plot was enjoyable, although not as succinct in its focus as in the previous stories where Destru
Bev

4.5 stars from me. I really enjoyed this one, and am not going into too much detail for those who haven't gotten around to it yet.

photo Against the Grain Charlie Cochet_zpslv6lk97y.jpg

Ash and Cael, wonderful...at last Ash got his act together and after upsetting me a couple of times with his refusal to accept what was staring him in the face, was forced out of the closet by Fuller, Cael's violent ex...and then there was no stopping him.

photo Ash amp Cael Against the Grain_zpsznktdfnk.jpg

Dex and Sloane...well, what can I say?? Dex is still my favourite character, he makes me laugh my head off with
Britta ★ Nachteule ★

This one is hard for me to review. I'll just start and see where it takes me, okay?

There were things I didn't like or which didn't meet my expectations.

1. Dex. Yes, he is indeed a crazy man-child and his shenaningans tents to be a bit OTT. This is part of his charm and we all love him for it. But in this book he was at times too OTT for me.
(I can't believe I would say this. - Ever!)

2. The sex. With Ash and Cael I always pictured it to be scorching.

But instead it was "only" ok.

3. Ash's
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 05, 2015 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This ended up being quite different than I thought it would be but still very enjoyable. I truly anticipated an Ash just so stubborn and gruff and in character but instead got an Ash that I guess only Cael gets to see normally. And Cael's past? Very painful and not at all what I was expecting. At first it all seemed a little odd but once I wrapped my head around it I just went with the flow.

I can’t imagine it is easy to write four books with two MC’s and then switch to two different leading MC’s
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
I love this series. Holy crap Ash ya finally some happy for him. I freaking love every word outta Dex's Mouth. I might die before the next one comes out but I'll try to survive. Charlie Cochet your mind is a wonderful place.
Steven
This book was my least favorite of the series so far. Not because of the story -- the plot progression was actually pretty good -- but because of the annoying repetition of lust, feelings, etc. Over and over and over and over and over and OMG WE GET IT YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH HIM, THINK HE'S HOT, DON'T DESERVE HIM, etc.

The interesting plot twists (while predictable, still fun) are the only reason this got a "meh, not awful" three stars instead of a "seriously, you think this is worthy of an entry in
  • Crash & Burn (Cut & Run, #9)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf #3)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Infected: Epitaph (Infected, #8)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop #2)
  • How to Walk Like a Man (Howl At The Moon #2)
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
  • Dirty Heart (Cole McGinnis, #6)
  • Fair Play (All's Fair, #2)
  • Forever  (Spy vs. Spook, #3)
Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florid
More about Charlie Cochet...

THIRDS (9 books)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS, #4)
  • Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, #6)
  • Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
  • Thick & Thin (THIRDS, #8)
  • Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS, #9)

“He’d never admit it, but he counted Dex among his family. Sort of like the annoying brother-in-law. You’re happy he’s making your bro happy, but damn, sometimes you just wanted to punch him in his stupid smiley face. Who the hell smiled that much, anyway? A crazy person, that’s who.” 6 likes
“Come on, big guy. Let’s hit the showers.”

Cael patted Ash’s chest and walked off. Ash followed, but not before shoving Dex. He grinned when Dex fell into Taylor, his cheese snacks soaring through the air and hitting the carpet.

“My Cheesy Doodles!” Dex dropped to his hands and knees. “Noooooo! They were so young. So delicious.”
6 likes