Start by marking “Driftwood Deeds (Breaking in Waves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Driftwood Deeds (Breaking in Waves, #1)

Driftwood Deeds (Breaking in Waves #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
When journalist Iris Ellis visits a sleepy seaside town to interview recluse screenwriter Paul Archer, he offers her insights into never acted upon fantasies of dominance and submission. Too curious to deny herself a taste of them, Iris gives herself up to Paul's gentle guidance, but when she realizes that a taste can never be enough, she must find the courage to ask for w ...more
ebook, Breaking in Waves Edition, 82 pages
Published July 18th 2014 by Lilt Literary (first published December 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Driftwood Deeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driftwood Deeds

Lisa
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review

Read my full review at Sinfully Sexy today and enter to win a copy of the book.

4 Stars!

“Don’t forget to breathe, Iris.”

description

Driftwood Deeds by Laila Blake is a novella which explores dominance and submission between a reclusive screenwriter and a journalist who has come to interview him. This is not an overly long book, but it is a very well written one. I was amazed at how quickly this author drew me in and had me enthralled with her writing. I was swiftly entranced with the narrative and
Mysza
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
****4,5 stars ****

I got this book as an ARC a while ago and was waiting for the right mood to kick in. I think I was exactly in the right place for this kind of reading because I really liked it. The novella is very short but absorbing and very very well written. There is no rush, no haste, everything flows naturally, no word is wasted and everything that is happening has its reason.

The story is about Iris Ellis, young journalist, who goes to small seaside town to interview reclusive and mys
Casey
Warning
This review is for Adults Only and contains sexual language & discussion of sexual topics.
.......
Story contains descriptions of BDSM and Puppy Play.
.......
I have been broadening my reading horizons this year and for the first time in my life read a book categorized as erotica. Over the last few months I have found some really interesting books that show sex and sexual encounters in a very healthy way with no judgement, some others that did not do such a good job, and some that were do
Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀
This is a contemporary BDSM erotica novella.

Synopsis

This is a story about Iris, an inexperienced young woman that has had submissive desires. She has been unable to pursue those desires until she meets Paul. Paul is an older experienced man that takes Iris on a journey of sexual discovery in a Dominant/submissive context.

The writing

The beginning was a little rough and a bit confusing, but by page twenty I was hooked. Everything about the way the story is written draws you into the environment.
PJ
Driftwood Deeds

Absolutely lovely writing and story-telling, so sensual and erotic. I teared up at the fierce longing Iris felt several times. The beginning chapter titled "Now" was a perfect set-up and I was right there with Iris on that platform, irrevocably changed and at sea with emotions she was unprepared to deal with. She'd survive, but the floodgates to her submission were wide open and she was left with an aching need that for now could only be eased by Paul.

The author portrayed Iris so
☆ Eyes On The Stars ☆
"You know what to do," he said and I felt strangely humbled by his quiet and friendly confidence."

Wow, this book was excellent! After the Prologue it did take me an extra chapter before I really got into it, but once I did ... whew! HOThotHOT book that just came out of nowhere! I know I read the blurb beforehand, but I was not expecting the great that I got out of this read.

A couple of awesomes:
-- Iris and Paul are written like real people. Insecurities and imperfect bodies and all, it's all the
Cheyenne Blue
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
I have a confession to make. My name is Cheyenne and I’m an erotica writer who is not a fan of BDSM.

Of course there are exceptions (and I will be reviewing one mighty exception early next year) but for the most part, when I’m reading erotica for pleasure, I will select something else.

I chose to read “Driftwood Deeds” because I’ve read other stories by Laila Blake that I adore for the writing, the slow burn of sensuality, and the tales she weaves so expertly.

“Driftwood Deeds” is the story of Ir
Laila
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
I never know what to say about my own work, so I'll just paste what RT Book Reviews thought about it when they gave it 4.5 Stars and made it a Top Pick! They are so much nicer about me than I could be ;).
(http://www.rtbookreviews.com/book-rev...)

"This novella is a gem for fans of BDSM romance and is the perfect starting point for readers new to the genre. Iris' curiosity blossoms into a beautiful, wicked eagerness to submit with the help of Paul's patient guidance. Paul's penchant for humiliatio
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Arc received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cover :- 4 stars
Sex/steaminess :- 4 stars
Story line :- 5 stars
Characters :- 5 stars

Overall rating :- 4.5 stars

Personal rating :- 5 stars

Book Pairing:- M/F
Did it give me a book hangover :- Almost
Is this a review book or personal read :- Review book

Why I chose this book?

I was asked by the Publisher 'A Hotter State' to review.

What I liked about this book.

* The description was amazing I could visualize everything.
* The commentary between
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Introduction into kinky sex could show up anywhere. Iris Ellis is invited by an elusive screenwriter, Paul Archer for an interview. He's known to be a difficult person to interview. Iris is surprised by how he treats her to a wonderful afternoon which transforms into a sexual interlude.

This is an enjoyable short story. It's a good Gateway to BDSM book. The BDSM is light and arousing. It's the beginning of a possible relationship with much potential. Will it go past a first date? One can only hop
Paul
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

Review in two parts, first an open letter to Laila Blake, the author....then the review for everyone else.

Dear Ms. Blake,
When I read the first page of your book, "Driftwood Deeds," I was enraptured by your frankness, by the immediacy of your narrative, and by the fact that you trusted your reader to get on the bus and ride into Iris' story. I admit you took me by surprise with Iris' language, but the surprise was good; it telegraphed to
Jim Lyon
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
Author Laila Blake writes character-driven love stories in a variety of genres. In her latest novella, Driftwood Deeds, the focus is on a budding BDSM-style romance between a female journalist with latent submissive tendencies and a middle-age screenwriter. Unique about this story are both its broad appeal to BDSM fiction aficionados and its accessibility to readers not particularly drawn to impact play or bondage.

The characters in this book are not involved in hardcore BDSM activities or the l
Love Reading Romance
Iris is a very sweet and innocent heroine. We don't get to know much about her background, and I perhaps would have liked to know a little more. She seems very young, lacking experience and self-knowledge. We get hints that she has questioned her sexuality in the past, but know that her experience with Paul is her first real taste of BDSM. Her sexual and emotional naivety is a blessing in this story, however, as I think most readers will appreciate and relate to her story of self discovery on so ...more
Anita
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, that came out of nowhere. This was one hot little novella. I read the prologue and thought, ok, what's this about and almost didn't buy it. But hot, hot, hot damn this was wonderful. The writing was sensual, visual and oh so well done. The description of the sleepy fishing village conjures up images that you can just see. Iris visits Paul to interview him for an article. After a walk and a conversation, they pick up on vibes from each other and then it's on from there! Iris and Paul - thoug ...more
Lynn
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Driftwood Deeds, by Laila Blake, was sent to me for an honest review. I thank the author for providing me with a most memorable and pleasurable task. Ms. Blake’s writing is mesmerizing and so very sensual. She is a master at setting a scene and the mood.

The story’s premise: a reporter arriving for an interview with a reclusive writer at his home in a sleepy seaside town. Upon meeting, the protagonists are drawn to one another and the story actually depicts the blossoming of their relationship.
Julie Morgan
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by the line, "...the perfect starting point for readers new to the genre..." What did I have to lose? Nothing at all! I gained a whole new world into BDSM that I had NO idea existed! Well yeah, I knew it was there, but what I'm saying is, Ms Blake offered up a new world into it.
Driftwood Deeds offers up Iris's point of view in the events that took place in Paul's 'driftwood' home. He offers up something she possibly can't deny and soon realizes, this is part of who she is.
I fel
krissi
i'm so glad this was the book of the month! i really enjoyed it!

it was a soft and romantic bdsm story. heavy on the romance.

it seemed like an older, long ago time and setting, but wasn't. i think that gentle setting added to the romantic feeling of the story.

in contrast, some of the "edgier" bdsm elements (view spoiler) definitely set the story in the kink category.

i'm excited to go into the next book in the series to see where Paul and Iris take it (view spo
Nicole
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars!!

Arc received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"My hair blows into his and for a moment we are truly alone behind a curtain of fluttering brown. His lips meet mine even though the train is nowhere to be seen and I feel tears pool in my eyes. It feels like the first time, no wine, no reason, just to kiss and to feel close to each other."

Iris Ellis is a young journalist who visits a seaside town to interview screenwriter Paul Archer. Before Iris can even start the interview
Kaleigh James
*This book was provided through the PAC Romance Group in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! What can I say? I usually tend toward longer books, but this novella did not disappoint. Laila has a way with words. I felt like she was painting pictures for me, and the descriptions were vivid, decadent, and used all five of my senses. I was mesmerized from the first chapter.

It was so easy to feel the emotion of the main character, Iris. From the beginning, you know that she's come to this small seaside
Liz Meldon
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
description

YAAAAAAAAS! What a glorious piece of character-driven erotica. I struggle to put my feelings into words here. The characters were on-point. I've read one too many erotica pieces lately where a Dom feels kind of rapey, kind of like a huge creep, and that's not the case at all in this novella. Paul comes across as genuine, like a real person, and Iris strikes me as someone a lot of us might know in real life. Realistic, interesting, well-rounded characters... And that's a huge accomplishment for a
(Downloaded for free from Smashwords.com)

This was an okay story, but I did have a couple of issues with it.

The first thing that put me off a little was the use of the ‘c’ word, this is a personal thing, I just really don’t like that word, and it appeared in this book a lot. I hoped that I’d maybe be a bit immune to it by the end of the book, but I wasn’t.

The second thing that put me off a bit was the male lead character; I just didn’t like him, and he didn’t excite me. The way he suddenly turned
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
I picked this one up after reading another friend's review of it, so I knew what to expect from it, though I found as I was reading it that it wasn't really what I expected. I think I expected something more explicit, a little more hardcore on the BDSM, and while it does get quite explicit in places the overall tone is much more sensual than overly erotic. And the writing here is very sensual indeed with the author doing a superb job of conveying every detail of scenery and sensation from the sm ...more
lynn❤️lynn
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-read
It took me a while to get into this book at the start..i would say about a quarter into the book, before I could relate to the characters and could work out where the story was taking me, but after that wow. I loved the story. It just took off for me after that. I would give this 4.5 stars if I could dropping half just because of its start.

I would love to read more by this author...Its a bit short for me, but would love to read more.

I love the sexual chemistry between these two characters and t
Charlie
This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Driftwood Deeds was an absolute pleasure to read. A combination of well written prose, likeable characters and steamy sex made this a fantastic story! While I do enjoy a good smut story, this was more than your average, run of the mill erotica. The characters shared quite an intense emotional experience that was presented beautifully by Laila Blake. While this book was short, I would love to read more about the characte
L.C. Spoering
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweetly spun tale of romance and sex, written with intelligent prose without sacrificing the seriously hot scenes. A great deal of time is devoted to the theme of communication and consent in a BDSM relationship without going preachy, and while still maintaining a great deal of realism. Iris is no innocent, and Paul is not a god: they're both very human, and develop beautifully and honestly through the story, together.
* Booksessed * Bec
Book provided by the author.

I thought this was a well written hot little read.
The plot, though short, was exciting and held my attention from start to finish.
The characters were interesting, although I would have liked more time to see them develop.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Book provided by the author through Paranormal, Fantasy, Dystopia and Romance Readers, Writers and Reviewers groups RaR read and review
Kathryn
This was a read for the person that enjoys imagery. The pleasant, erotic words flowed off the page into your mind like the ocean tides. It's a quick hard story, a bit tearful for a "first timer" and it makes you want to live in that world for just a short brief time.
Kat
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, free, short
Free on Amazon .

Fun short read. Not too heavy or dark. Nice escape from the over done character types, settings, plots we run into.

Made me thirsty for hot tea.
carol
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult and BDSM lite readers.
Recommended to carol by: April Marie BDSM Group
This is the first story of Laila Blake's that I've read and have to say it was an enjoyable BDSM themed easy going, relaxing read.

It starts with female character Iris sitting in a station, and gives the impression of a need to get away, of a person in some turmoil, but also leaving someone she seemed to like or love...something has occurred for her to leave and so I read on.
Enter Paul, who appears to live a semi reclusive life away from what could be a celebrity life spurned, as he is a film di
Helena Ison
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writing Style:
Laila Blake could write a to-do manual and I'm positive it would take my breath away. She is a phenomenal writer that can switch between genres effortlessly. My favorite aspect of her writing is her ability to express the emotions of her various characters. You can feel their joy, sadness, anger, confusion... it's like having a front role seat in their mind and seeing everything through their eyes. Laila Blake is a natural story teller that will take you on a journey you will never
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Need a series created 7 86 Nov 23, 2014 09:29PM
Making Connections: 1919. DRIFTWOOD DEEDS by Laila Blake 16 56 Mar 28, 2014 07:32PM
Driftwood Deeds 4 15 Feb 24, 2014 11:51AM
Some Like It Hot!: Free Copies of Driftwood Deeds + Giveaway for Reviewers 18 37 Jan 06, 2014 02:31AM
  • Tasting Pleasure (Pleasure, #1)
  • Dark Mercy (Masters of Mercy #1)
  • Dressed in White
  • Yes, Mistress
  • Deathless Discipline
  • From the Boots Up
  • Celebration (The Plume #9)
  • Sapphire Blue
  • The Finest Line (The Line Trilogy, #1)
  • Private North
  • Red
  • Summer's End
  • The Professor's Pet
  • Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Brie Bows to Her Master (Submissive Training Center, #9)
  • Passion After Dark (Passion, #1)
  • At Her Feet
  • Kissing Under the Mistletoe

Breaking in Waves (3 books)
  • Trading Tides (Breaking in Waves, #2)
  • Saltwater Skin (Breaking in Waves, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)