Start by marking “Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

(Phoebe and Her Unicorn #1)

Do you believe in unicorns? Phoebe does. She has no choice ... one day she skipped a rock across a pond, and hit a unicorn in the face. Improbably, this resulted in a lasting friendship between Phoebe and the unicorn, one Marigold Heavenly Nostrils.

Come along for the unicorn ride with Phoebe, as she deals with the usual burdens of childhood (cruel classmates, gym class, pi
Published September 2nd 2014 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Phoebe and Her Unicorn, please sign up.
Lyneidas It is Calvin & Hobbes for girls. It has the same adventurous spirit, snark, and imagination but from a girl's perspective instead of a boy's. It is no…moreIt is Calvin & Hobbes for girls. It has the same adventurous spirit, snark, and imagination but from a girl's perspective instead of a boy's. It is not derivative, however, as the relationship between the girl and the unicorn is not the same as between the boy and his tiger. Also, Phoebe is more concerned about her relationships with people outside the friendship pair than Calvin & Hobbes were.(less)
Saja i have heard of this book and everybody said it was a good book and i do belive them because i love fiction books and i love the authour of this book …morei have heard of this book and everybody said it was a good book and i do belive them because i love fiction books and i love the authour of this book and i really want to know if this book is good but if you would like to reply then i would be happy to know what you replied and also the reason why i am really intrested in this book because the tittle i s very intresting and the book cover is also intresting(less)

Start your review of Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)
Cristina Monica
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A little girl saves a unicorn’s life and the unicorn grants her a wish. So what does the little girl wish for? For the unicorn to become her best friend.

I want a unicorn too. It’s doesn’t even have to be a unicorn, as long as it’s magical and friendly. Lucky Phoebe. She gets to ride a unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils to school and do slumber parties with her.

Alright, jealousy aside, I quite enjoyed following the slice-of-life adventures of these two enchanting beings. Both found a compan
Exina
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not laugh-out-loud funny, but it'll surely make you smile. Cute, lovely and witty. Recommended!!
"Is this meant to be science or art?"
"Both. I call it sart."

Kathryn
Hands down, Phoebe and Her Unicorn earns the award for literature’s most deceptive cover. Given its pink, glittery, unicorn-adorned front one would expect this title to be the graphic novel equivalent of Daisy Meadow’s (why select a pseudonym that so closely resembles that of a stripper? WHY??!!) kid-crack Rainbow Fairies series. A nauseating blend of cotton candy and insulting female stereotypes. BUT trust, this book….. this book is NOT that. At all.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn has all the sarcasm a
Erin
I picked this up because: it was compared to Calvin and Hobbes. The unicorn's name is Marigold Heavenly Nostrils.

I loved it because: it is not Calvin and Hobbes. I can see why all the comparisons, and there are definitely similarities, but this is so NOT Calvin and Hobbes "for girls." Calvin and Hobbes was Calvin and Hobbes for girls. This is different and great, and had a really nice vibe going for it. Phoebe is spunky and fun and lonely, and Marigold Heavenly Nostrils is a unicorn that occupie
MissBecka

This was a cute and funny graphic that I think all kids (and parents) would enjoy.
It's whimsical and innocent and weird.
Best quote:
"You are cute when you are desperately insecure."
Hannah Greendale
Simpson is clearly playing off of groundwork laid by Bill Watterson. Phoebe and her unicorn pal, Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, parallel Calvin and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes. Sugary cereal, board games, color crayon illustrations depicting the child's interpretation of life events, super hero alter egos and more all hearken to Watterson's work, but Simpson's comics lack the philosophical musings that add depth and heart to Calvin's adventures with Hobbes.

Marigold's sarcasm is good for a chuckle he
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, humor
I picked this up because I liked the premise and I thought my daughter might like it and wanted to see how she'd react. Turns out that my daughter already subscribes to the webcomic. That's some superior Dadding right there, I tell you...

Anyway, I had some free time this afternoon and spent it with Phoebe and Marigold and was thoroughly charmed. Peter S. Beagle mentions this volume in light of Calvin and Hobbes in his introduction and I think he's spot on. Read that again. Peter S. Beagle wrote
Stephanie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Absolutely adorable (I love fierce, determined Phoebe! I love vain but truly fabulous Marigold!), and often laugh-out-loud funny. I read this volume first on my own and then with my 10-year-old, and I'm planning to read it with my 5-year-old, too.

But first, I'm moving on to read Book 2!
Schizanthus Nerd
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
image by Ivona Design
🦄 Happy Unicorn Day! 🦄

When lonely fourth grader Phoebe rescues Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, who was trapped in the beauty of her own reflection, she is granted one wish. As the self appointed Federal Awesomeness Inspector, Phoebe declares herself the “most awesome girl in the world!”, which of course must be true because she wished to be best friends with a unicorn!

Together they play video games, have slumber parties in their pyjamas, play superhero and detective agency, gossip and enjoy mus
Britany
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this one up for a challenge "All Ages Comic"- and fit that category it did!

I enjoyed the magic of this graphic novel, I appreciated the drawings and storyline. Phoebe is not very popular and finds herself upon Marigold Heavenly Nostrils (the unicorn) and wants her to become her best friend. Best friends indeed- hijinks ensue. I found myself a little lost as in between the major plot points, little vignettes were inserted- I found them all to be charming, but I found the disruption a lit
La Coccinelle
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, comic
I may have found a favourite comic. I loved reading about the adventures of Phoebe and Marigold!

At first, I thought this was a graphic novel, but even though there are a few continuous stories within the book, there's no overarching plot. So, really, it's a comic collection. But that didn't prevent me from enjoying the little stories that were included, such as the friends' slumber party, their detective agency, Phoebe's nemesis and her birthday party, the piano lessons, meeting the parents, Pho
David Schaafsma
As a result of having a fourth grade daughter, I am in touch with this universe I had largely ignored. When L was younger she was like a triplet with her similarly-aged brothers. She refused to wear dresses--oh, good, I thought, she won't be a cheerleader--and liked to hike and camp. Then something happened. There was this sudden invasion of princesses and fairies and unicorns. I--self-proclaimed feminist--brushed it off as a phase. But all this emo and pink and crowds of friends watching My Lit ...more
Raina
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. Super charming, super adorable, super everything-that-it's-cracked-up-to-be.
And hooray that Simpson is a local author!

This is already being superpromoted all over my district (I know of two different branches which have featured it in their school outreach, and the author is likely to come to an event), otherwise I'd be all over pushing it to my kids. Very Calvin & Hobbesie, I understand. More kid-friendly than many other webcomics I've read which end up on the kid shelf in the libra
Sesana
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredibly, ridiculously fun to read. Yes, it kind of is like a Calvin and Hobbes for girls, except that a) Calvin and Hobbes is Calvin and Hobbes for girls and b) aside from a few similarities in the relationship between the main characters, the two really aren't all that much alike. For one, pretty much everybody can see and communicate with Marigold, and Phoebe has an actual nemesis in the resident mean girl at school. On its own merits, it's silly and funny and smart enough for an adult to r ...more
Lata
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Phoebe and her conversations and adventures with unicorn Marigold Heavenly Nostrils is a really funny series. I laughed out loud frequently during their exchanges, with Phoebe stating something and Marigold replying, in a very sarcastic fashion. Marigold could be insufferable, with her constant reminders of her, and unicorns in general, superiority over everyone else, but somehow I just couldn't stop laughing. Phoebe is a bit intense, and has no other friends but Marigold for much of ...more
Kerri
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so fun and clever! I laughed a lot reading this and am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Tiffy
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this cute graphic novel. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one. :)
Jen
1. Unicorns have to maintain the shield of boringness so we don't freak out in their presence.
2. Technically, one deepens the ocean by spitting in it.

There--two things I learned from this book. I ordered it after allowing my daughter to surf through children's graphic novels on this here site and falling prey to her pleas for this book: Mom! This book! This book!

I remember reading books in third grade and when finished, thinking, This book! This book! Ah, book loves, they last forever. And I'm
Kristen
Yes it's pink and sparkly and there's a unicorn on the cover - so what's wrong with that?!! If you're thinking this is going to be a sickly sweet saptastic story, fear not. Marigold Heavenly Nostrils is no one's pet pony, and Phoebe is the right combination of feisty, clueless, and rockin' cool outsider.
Jen
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WHY DON'T I HAVE A MAGICAL UNICORN AS A FRIEND?!?!?!
Carol
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO MUCH YES!!!!
Artemis
A cute and funny book of comic strips, about a girl and her unicorn.

'Phoebe and Her Unicorn' is similar to the 'Peanuts' strips, but with a unicorn, and a little girl at the center. There is no overarching plot, just the adventures in the life of this awesome duo, a sketch book in more ways than one.

I like how the unicorn lore is comically handled in a contemporary setting, and how Phoebe, at nine-years-old, already wants to explore and try different things on her quest to find herself, in a mun
Jeannette
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Krissy
***Rated by my daughter***
Mary Catelli
Once upon a time, a girl skipped a stone across a lake, and hit a unicorn in the face. In gratitude (yes, that makes sense), the unicorn grants her a wish. A "something I can do for you" sort of wish, not a wishing ring sort.

Phoebe wishes for the unicorn to be her best friend. And Marigold Heavenly Nostrils has to admit that's in her power.

Once Phoebe gets past her resentment that having a unicorn best friend doesn't make her awesome (as Marigold points out, she didn't wish to be awesome), they
Munro's Kids
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel revolves around a girl and a unicorn (I know, I know, but stick with me). Phoebe is out skipping rocks on a pond one day when she accidentally hits a unicorn in the face. Since unicorns are easily distracted by their own reflections, this unicorn (whose name is Marigold Heavenly Nostrils) grants Phoebe three wishes as thanks for snapping her out of her self-inflicted gaze. Phoebe wishes for her and Marigold to be very best friends... which Marigold is not generally pleased abo ...more
Stacy Fetters
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picked this one up because it was a recommendation from Roller Girl! And who doesn't love Unicorns?
Phoebe is a very unusual girl who was skipping rocks on a pond and whacked a Unicorn right in the face. Because Unicorns have huge egos and get distracted by their reflections..... duh!
They become "friends".... after Phoebe uses one of her wishes to become best friends. This leads to some wacky adventures.
Not only is this funny and adorable, its a great way to teach kids newer and bigger words in
Shelly
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute comic. It was only okay for me, but I'm not the target market. The readers this is written and drawn for (middle grade kids) would probably like it a lot.
Lolly's Library
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phoebe and Marigold are simply awesome!

Call me out of the loop, but I had no idea Phoebe and Her Unicorn was a comic strip. I thought it was simply another children's book - maybe a bit cuter, a bit more magical, but nothing more than that!

Boy was I wrong!

If Calvin and Hobbes were a little girl and a unicorn instead, you'd have Phoebe and Her Unicorn. The same sort of humor, imagination, snark and wit, the same concept of enjoying childhood to its fullest and never looking down on kids, treating
Patricia Bergmen - Review 3 1 1 Sep 27, 2019 11:45AM

• Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
  • Roller Girl
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • Ghosts
  • Drama
  • Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1)
  • Smile
  • Kristy's Great Idea
  • Sunny Side Up and Swing It, Sunny: The Box Set
  • Sisters - Free Preview Edition
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • El Deafo
  • Sisters
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends, #2)
Dana Claire Simpson grew up in Gig Harbor, Washington, drawing the entire time. She eventually graduated from The Evergreen State College, despite having spent all her time drawing, and not always for credit.

Attempts at doing real work along the way are hardly worth mentioning; the relevant fact is that, from 1998 to 2008, she drew the internet comic strip Ozy and Millie. After winning the Amazon-

Phoebe and Her Unicorn (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #2)
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn in the Magic Storm (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #6)
  • Unicorn of Many Hats (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #7)
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn in Unicorn Theater (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #8)
  • Unicorn Bowling (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #9)
  • The Unicorn Whisperer (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #10)
  • Camping with Unicorns (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #11)

News & Interviews