Start by marking “One Smart Cookie” as Want to Read:
One Smart Cookie

One Smart Cookie

Sixteen year old Sophie Dumbrowski, is an adorably inept teen living above her family-owned Polish bakery with her man-hungry mother and her spirit-conjuring grandmother, who together, are determined to find Sophie the perfect boyfriend.

But when Sophie meets two hot guys on the same day, she wonders if this a blessing or a curse. And is Sophie's inability to choose part o
Paperback, First, 214 pages
Published July 15th 2014 by Omnific Publishing (first published July 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about One Smart Cookie, please sign up.
Kym Brunner So sorry I didn't see your question until now. Yes, One Smart Cookie does have a spirit-conjuring grandma, but it follows the Polish traditions of my …moreSo sorry I didn't see your question until now. Yes, One Smart Cookie does have a spirit-conjuring grandma, but it follows the Polish traditions of my own Busia (rather than witchcraft) - based on Slavic folklore. Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of One Smart Cookie
Veronica of V's Reads
Sophie Dumbrowski is a typical teenage girl. She wants to have a fun summer, meet a cool guy, and avoid working in her family bakery as much as possible. Her grandma, Busia, offers to help Sophie find a good boy--with a small "spell". Not really, more of a bargain with Dola, a Polish spirit. Sophie thinks it's just Busia's usual eccentricity--her grams is always praying for something, and agrees to the charm, against her mother's orders. See, Sophie's mom things her mother's Polish charms are a ...more
Tessi
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
One Smart Cookie is a book I've been really excited for to read. Having many Polish friends myself, I just knew I had to get my hands on this book, and man -- it definitely gave me some HIGHLY ENTERTAINING reading hours.

Summer vacation have finally started and Sophie Dumbrowski has sworn to make her summer unforgettable – such as by getting a boyfriend. Or simply having a good time with her best friend, Teegan. What she definitely does not expect is to be fired by her mother on the very first da
StinaMadsMN
❦❦❦- 3 Floral Hearts!
We Are Totally Crushing on this Book!

THE STORY:
Although Sophie has her own plan to get a boyfriend this summer, her mother and grandmother are determined to find her the perfect boyfriend themselves. Her mother thinks that she needs to change her appearance, and her grandmother offers to consult her Polish spirits for help. When her grandmother makes a deal with Dola for Sophie, she is given the sign of the rose to point her in the ri
Michelle
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

One Smart Cookie is an adorable young adult standalone read. I thought the romance in it was really cute and it ended up being a really nice family story as well, which was an unexpected perk. I loved all of the crazy characters, even though one of them annoyed me to no end, but even she ended up shaping up so all around One Smart Cookie turned out to be one heck of a cute read.

Sophie works in her mothers Polish bake
Carra
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Sophie is your typical teenage girl, focused on boys and having fun-not understanding how things really work in the "real" world. She comes across as impulsive and a bit selfish with no clue how hard you need to work in life to get the things you want. The good thing though? This story will show you how she changes from that self-centered, boy-crazy kid into a young lady who finally comprehends how important hard work and family is...while still getting her HEA (well, at least for now-after all, ...more
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – This book was amazing. I was skeptical but not in the sense I had thought it would be bad, but because I have Polish heritage and I know nothing about it. I know sad, but I wasn’t taught any of it.

Sophie is a sweet girl that wants to have a great summer vacation before her senior year. She and her friend have this goal to meet two great guys at the beach and to double date all summer. She ends up with a bad beginning to her summer when she winds up causing her mom to fire her, bu
Erika
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp
What a treat this book was—and I’m not just talking about all the mouth-watering Polish pastries.

Sophie Dumbrowski is such a fantastic character. While she starts out a little self-absorbed and clueless when it comes to dating guys and holding down a job, she won me over with her witty zingers and her determination to do right, especially by her family and their ailing Polish bakery.

And speaking of family, the dynamic between Sophie and her mom and grandmother was amazing. There’s disagreement a
Cherie Colyer
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Dumbrowski has one goal this summer, to get a boyfriend. When Sophie lets her Polish grandmother ask the spirits to help her with her love live things get interesting. With well developed characters and realistic humor, One Smart Cookie is a fun, humorous romance that is sure to win the hearts of readers everywhere.
Karly
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED this book with all my heart!!! It was so adorable, relatable and really gave me a sense of the Polish culture! Sophie is so goofy and makes me want to be her friend! I don't think I will ever find a book with such an uplifting message and fun storyline as I did with One Smart Cookie.
Cathy
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun-loving book about a teen-age girl who wants to find love without the help of her mom and her busia (grandma). Any girl who has disagreed with her mom - will relate to this book based in Chicago.
Steven Jobs
Apr 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book made me throw up all of the cookies that I had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. -8/10 would not recommend.
Paula  Phillips
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This summer , all sixteen-year old Sophie wants is a boyfriend and any guy will do but preferably a hot one that she can get on well with. Set in a polish bakery and with a polish background, I personally found this novel quite difficult to read and get into with polish words scattered throughout the book. Her grandmother is one of those women who believe in the Polish spirits and conjures up a spell for Sophie to find the perfect boyfriend but with one catch - she must not argue with her mother ...more
Em
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book cracked me up. Reminded me a lot of when I was in high school and girls did crazy things to get boys to notice them. Super funny but also super sweet. Perfect book if you like light-hearted romance, Polish traditions, and yummy bakery goods. :)
Megan (magan bagan)
Keith Obrachta
Aug 10, 2014
Stina Madison
Jan 16, 2016
Kym Brunner dreams entire novels in her head, but needs about a year to write it all down. She wishes there was an app for this. She's addicted to chai tea, going to the movies, and reality TV. She lives in the Chicago area with her family and two dogs. Keep in touch by following her on Facebook (Author Kym Brunner), Twitter (@KymBrunner), or at her website, http://www.kymbrunner.com.