Start by marking “Capturing Cora (Romps and Rakehells, #1)” as Want to Read:
Capturing Cora (Romps and Rakehells, #1)

Capturing Cora

(Romps & Rakehells #1)

Branwell “Tinker” Locke believes in grand gestures . However, when his marriage proposal to Miss Cora Reeve is dismissed as a jape, Bran has to find another way to persuade Cora of his utmost sincerity, even if it means using his tongue for something other than pretty words.

Cora believes Bran is simply set upon helping her win a wager , even though she longs for his love.
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 67 pages
Published July 9th 2014 by Incantatrix Press (first published April 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Capturing Cora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capturing Cora

Monica Cullip
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Capturing Cora

Madelynne Ellis

This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the cover, I liked the story concept and I love a good historical romance so I was hooked at reading the blurb. I knew it was going to be a quick read as it only has seventy pages. I am happy to say that is packs a punch in those pages and does not disappoint.

Miss Cora Reeve is talking with five other young ladies as they all search for husbands and they wager a little bet to see who can become betr
Farrah
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick, little, delight of a read, Capturing Cora was a lovely historical romance novella. It was a sweet, light read that I liked-a great way to pass the time.

Cora and Bran were both great. Cora had a mind of her own and, though she loved Bran, she only wanted him if she knew for sure that he loved her, too. Bran was adorable. He was determined to prove to Cora that he had meant his marriage proposal and he was wonderfully charming. I really liked them both.

The romance was sweet. Cora and Bran
Jessica Alcazar
Let me tell you how much FUN I had reading this story, in a nutshell of course because I never give away plots in my reviews....
Ok, so we have Cora and Bran as childhood friends who develop feelings. We hace Cora making a bet with her girlfriends on who can get engaged first. Bran proposes to to Cora and she says no cuz she thinks he's only doing it cuz of the wager .... cue LMAO @ both of them! So kudos to Madelynne Ellis for coming up with a plot that was going to humor me into NOT putting the
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Shadow's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

Capturing Cora is a short story-in fact more of a vignette set in Regency England, where proper young ladies are always chaperoned. However, love will find a way.

Cora has discovered she loves her childhood friend, Bran, but thinks he feels toward her like a little sister. When he discovers she has wagered among her friends as to who would be the first to become engaged, he loudly asks her to marry him. Thinking he is joking, she turns him down.

His effort
Amanda Richardson
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this story, it is a short novella, but I enjoyed reading about Cora and Bran. Cora wants to wager among her friends about who will be engaged first. She is in love with Bran, but she doesn't think Bran sees her the same way. When Bran learns about the wager, he proposes. Cora declines, loudly, because she thinks he is only being silly and doesn't really want to marry her.

Bran really does want to marry her, and decides he has to find a way to show her that he loves her. Romance and love s
Sharon Moritz-rosenthal
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, however I wish it was longer. I do look forward to more books in the series.
Cora and Bran have loved each other a long time and Cora sets a wager up and Bran proposes. They don't know they are in love with each other and so this story is about them figuring that out.

It was a good story, just too short and I would have liked maybe a little more storyline to the story.
Kristi Simonsen
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely enjoyed this historical romance and can't wait to read more in this series. This was my first read from Madelynne and I will definitely be reading more. A great story, wonderful characters and steamy encounters - you can't go wrong!
Julie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Couldn't put it down, had to read it in one session, just not long enough.
Jessica
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5/5

Branwell “Tinker” Locke believes in grand gestures. However, when his marriage proposal to Miss Cora Reeve is dismissed as a jape, Bran has to find another way to persuade Cora of his utmost sincerity, even if it means using his tongue for something other than pretty words.

Cora believes Bran is simply set upon helping her win a wager, even though she longs for his love. In order to convince him that she really does want him, Cora will have to bare not just her heart and emotions, b
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Capturing Cora from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Bran and Cora have grown up together, though now that it is Cora's Season things have changed slightly. Cora has made a bet with her friends, the first one of them to get a genuine proposal wins a gift from each of them. Bran, always being a fan of big gestures, thinks that he can win Cora's heart by expressing his own and winning her the contest. Cora is sho
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
May have slight spoilers.

In author Madelynne Ellis’s first Romps & Rakehells novella we meet quite a few characters namely our two main characters, Branwell “Tinker” Locke and Miss Cora Reeve.

They have been friends since childhood but now their feelings for each other are a little bit different. Cora longs for Bran to like her as more than just a friend but after a wager with her friends and Bran proposing marriage to her in a very flamboyant fashion she is hurt, thinking he was just kidding
Maria
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This was really too short for me to enjoy.

In this short novella Cora Reeve is in love with her childhood friend Branwell. She has a bet with her friends as to who willbe engaged first. He hears this and proposes to her. Cora thinks Bran is joking, therefore she turns him down in front of everyone. Bran just knows he has to convince her that he i truly sincere in his proposal. He wants her for his wife.

An opportune game of hide and seek presents itself. Bran turns up the heat in order to demonstr
Esther
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
It was an okay read.

Cora and Bran childhood friends . But Cora has been feeling more for Bran lately and she is very much more aware of him physically. Cora has has improper thoughts about Bran and things they can do together.

Well a group of her friends and her make a wager on who will become married first. Bran is made aware of the wager and also is in Love with Cora. So he offers marriage she thinks he's teasing. Bran than goes about convincing her he's serious and proceeds by showing her. Ph
MissyGirl
Cora makes a bet with her friends to see which one of them will get engaged first. She tells Bran, her friend who she has always had a crush on, about the bet, and he then proposes to her. So, of course, she believes he is joking. Now Bran has to find a way to prove that he really does love Cora, and the proposal was real.

Unfortunately, I didn't connect with the characters in this book. Capturing Cora was my least favorite in the series. The (historical) language was a bit over the top, and the
Rhiannon Overby
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Capturing Cora is a short historical fiction novella. This book can easily be read in one sitting and was quite enjoyable.

Cora and Bran are childhood friends who have fallen in love with each other. When Bran makes a grand marriage proposal after a bet in mentioned, Cora believes that he is only making a joke of the situation. Bran much now convince Cora that he meant every word of his proposal and get her to accept.

This novella is based in a period of time when chaperones were a must for youn
Sylvia
Miss Cora Reeve suggested a friendly wager to see who will get the first marriage offer among the six friends. This the perfect setup for the Romps & Rakehells series. This short novella focusing on Branwell Locke and Cora Reeve. Cora grew up with her best friend, Harriet and her brother, Bran. Bran is a constant in Cora’s life. He is her ideal for a perfect husband. He does not know how she feels about him. When he proposes in a dramatic way, she does not take him seriously. It is very inte ...more
Tamra LeValley
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
GoodReads Free Book

Historical Romance.

A wager has been made and the winner gets a gifts. The popular gifts of the ton have decided that the girl to get a proposal wins the prize. Now the heat is on. Cora is in love with and has always been in love with her childhood friend Bran. When he does propose she thinks he is teasing her because of the bet and becomes too hurt to be with him again. She just wants to escape but Bran has to find her and make her understand the he truly loves her.

This was ju
Daisy Sloan
This was an enjoyable Georgian era short story. It was lots of fun to read, friends falling in love and having wild sex!

Cora and Bran grew up together. Cora fell in love with Bran not realizing he had fallen in love with her as well. When he did finally propose, she didn't think he was serious and turned him down. Now he has to prove he was serious. I REALLY liked how he proved he was serious.

I'm looking forward to reading more books in this series. I like quick reads that have an HEA!

I receive
Blondie
Capturing Cora is a fun historical romance. The characters are easy to like in this short story. Cora is a mischievous young woman who has fallen in love with her best friend of coarse Bran loves her back. Bran is the funny guy that brought Cora along on his childhood romps he has fallen in love but is waiting for the right time to tell her.

Capturing Cora is a great short romance for those who like their historical romances a bit spicy :) Great for a quick afternoon read.

I received a copy of t
Jennifer Tabler
I received this on Net gallery in exchange for an honest review! Cora and Bran have known each other forever and Cora has loved Bran about that long. Bran is finding out that he to is in love with Cora and is going to make her his. Cora is somewhat of a tomboy and is very innocent. Cora knows nothing about sex but Bran is more than happy to teach her all she needs to know. I really enjoyed this book but I wish it was longer. Hopefully in the books to come we will hear more about these two lives ...more
Amaranthine
If the idea of leaving the reader wanting more was the goal here, mission accomplished. This is less a short story, than a snippet from an important day in the featured couple’s life together. Interesting, engaging, sweet, and sexy, I would absolutely love to see this turned into an actual novel.

For the sake of full disclosure it must be stated that I received this book, free of charge, from Netgalley.
Tammy
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read that was sexy and a lot of fun. Two friends are in love with each other but neither has a clue how the other feels about them. Cora makes a bet with her friends about who will marry first and her friend Bran is more than willing to assist her in winning the bet. This story is funny, and very sexy. Bran and Cora have a wonderful chemistry together and the story was entertaining. My only issue is I wanted more, however I did enjoy it regardless. Highly recommend.
Cindy
Fun and flirty quick read for a historical romance. I always enjoy outspoken, independent thinking heroines in historical fiction and Cora certainly is that. Who else would suggest a wager to be the first to snare a husband so that they don’t have to endure the cattle call of a Season – that would be Cora. And Cora is lucky enough that the man she’s set her sights on – childhood friend Bran – is also looking to take Cora for his wife. A steamy encounter in a cupboard seals the deal.
Linda
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
While on a weekend getaway in the country with friends and family, Bran finally finds the courage to tell Cora what he wants.
Coras been wanting Bran since forever and cant believe it when it finally happens. Will Bran make her see the truth in his words?
Quick read, regency romance and smutty fluff in a sweet read.
3,5 Stars
ARC is provided by author/publisher for an honest review.
Obsmama
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I have such a soft spot for Historical and this cover is gorgeous. I really liked how even though this is short ( a little to short for me even for a novella) I really felt the history and connections with the characters. I love how well phrased the characters were, and also the authenticated way they spoke. Very solid read.

I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.
Brittany
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotic, historicals
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. First thing I did not like in the first paragraph we get over six characters no plot, no nothing. We are literally thrown into a party with no clues as to what is going on. Other than a few good romps it just was not a full story that I needed.
Melissa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I don't usually read historic books, however I a m so glad I read this one. The characters were great and the historical aspect added to the fun. Only complaint is I wish it were longer, I want more of Cora and Bran. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
I liked that the point of the character was to get a long time friend to see her as more than a friend....wait or was the point to give readers an anatomy lesson? I didn't need a 3 page story and then an 8 page sex scene. Not my cup of tea.
Maggie Hesseling
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Maggie by: NetGalley
Shelves: romance
This short story was a little too short. I think some of the set-up was a little rushed. And Cora a little too quickly convinced. It's a great idea though and I really like Tinker. It's a good story and I'll be looking to read the next installment of the Romps & Rakehells series.
Sally Hannoush
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the side romance in the middle of the house party. I think it would be fun to see the other characters in their own little house party stories and if/how they meet their match. It took a bet for childhood friends to confront marriage. Cute story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Historical Erotic...: New Release: Capturing Cora by Madelynne Ellis 1 12 Apr 30, 2012 02:51AM
  • Teaching Melody
  • Only For You (Only For You, #1)
  • Willow (Flower Child, #2)
  • A Devil's Touch (The Devil DeVere #4.5)
  • Menage on 34th Street
  • Storm Warnings
  • The Boy Who Knew Me When (From Boys to Men Trilogy, #1)
  • Heart of Steele (Hot Country, #2)
  • One Night with the Playboy (Whiskey River, #5)
  • Amazing Grace (The American Soldier Collection, #3)
  • Bucking Hard
  • A Valentine's Surprise (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Whipped (Brought to his Knees anthology)
  • Kitten's Tale
  • Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2)
  • Three Weeks with a Bull Rider (Oklahoma Nights, #3)
  • Shattered Promises
  • Bring on the Heat (The Boys of Summer, #1)
I'm Madelynne Ellis, a British author of erotica and erotic romance. I started writing after a friend picked up the Black Lace book I was reading and suggested that I should have a go. The rest is history. My first novel, A Gentleman's Wager, appeared in 2003, published by Black Lace. I've continued to put out titles from that point, branching out into contemporary and urban fantasy in addition to ...more

Romps & Rakehells (3 books)
  • Menage After Midnight (Romps and Rakehells, #2)
  • Taming Taylor (Romps & Rakehells, #3)