Start by marking “NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)” as Want to Read:
NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)

NewsPrints

(NewsPrints #1)

Blue is an orphan who disguises herself as a newsboy. There's a war going on, and girls are expected to help the struggling economy by selling cookies. But Blue loves living and working at the Bugle, the only paper in town that tells the truth. And what's printed in the newspapers now matters more than ever.

But Blue struggles with her secret, and worries that if her friend
Published January 31st 2017 by Graphix/Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about NewsPrints, please sign up.
Rena Stewart Yes. There is going to be a sequel that will be released in 2019, named Headlines.

Start your review of NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)
Dave Schaafsma
Steampunk meets the twenties and AI civil rights, as a girl disguises herself as a boy so that she can sell newspapers. Then she meets a scientist, becomes his apprentice, and then meets a boy who is also keeping a secret. There’s a war on! Art is very good, and the story is solid, if not all that original. Good, not spectacular, but an impressive debut!

Another book about girl newsies? Brian Vaughn’s Paper Girls.
Kate (GirlReading)
This was a fun read and I loved the art style but I unfortunately felt as though the story was a little disjointed and the pacing felt somewhat frantic and lacking in explanation/information. I especially found this to be the case when it came to gender identify and a few other key plot points. However, it was a super quick read and I now have a major craving to watch newsies...
Lata
I love stories about girls or women disguising themselves as boys or men so they can circumvent societal restrictions. Here, Blue works as a newsboy, and a very good one. Most people she interacts with don't know she's a girl.
After a run-in with the opposing newspaper's newsboys, Blue meets an inventor, who decides to take her on as an apprentice. Blue and Jack, the engineer, suss out spare parts, and on a visit to the navy's offices, Blue encounters a strange boy, Crow, whom she befriends imme
Bogi Takács
The art was fun, but the story was rather muddled, with some unfortunate cissexism.

(view spoiler)
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Disguised as a newsboy, Blue is doing just fine selling newspapers until she stumbles into secretive and funny inventor Jack and becomings his apprentice. Then she meets the even more secretive Crow, and things begin to fall apart.

This middle grade graphic novel was entertaining and interesting, and I liked the steam-punky fantasy aspect of it. I also loved how Crow was drawn, and Blue herself. I wasn't too fond of Jack, and I felt like some of the other characters weren't fully realized, but it
Molly
All right, I might be coming around on the robot civil rights movement with this one. GIVE ME TIME, ARTIFICIALLY INTELLIGENT FRIENDS!
Mandy Kirkendall
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I have a soft spot for girl newsies. Whatevs.
Raina
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j, sci-fi
Fun little sci-fi adventure, with full-color, manga-adjacent art.

The world here was interesting - it's a little early-20th century with the newsies and architecture and the mechanistic innovation. It'll appeal to kids who like Kazu Kibuishi's stuff, and Tower of Treasure and Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank. Oh, and I always have a weakness for the girls-dressing-up-as-boys/genderplay genre (Newsgirl, Shakespeare natch).

Didn't blow me away as much as I expected it to, but you know w
Ms. Yingling
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I've purchased a couple of "better" graphic novels for my collection, but my students seem to prefer the falling apart copies of Stickman Odyssey. For $25, I think I'll pass on this one, although it's very well done. The whole Steampunk trend has completely by passed my students, and I think that my graphic novel readers would be a bit confused by the setting.

Definitely a better quality graphic novel, but I don't think it would circulate well.
Levi
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: try-again-later
For some reason, this wasn't quite working for me. I really liked the characters and the messages that Xu presented, but I didn't sync with the art well. Plus, there were times when information seemed missing or glossed over.

I may come back to this at some point, but most likely not.
Alexander
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m wandering around my school's book fair, thinkin’, “What do I wanna get?” Then I looked around a bit and OHMYGOSHTHATLOOKSAWESOME! So I read the blurb and the title, Newsprints, purchased the book, and I start reading. SO worth it.

The actual book is about two people, Blue and Crow, who aren’t as they seem, in a cross between steampunk london and 20th century New york. One is an orphan who disguises herself as a newsboy under the Bungle, while the other has a seemingly unnatural connection to
McLaryn G.
To put this into words....I can't live right after reading this?? Literally?? There was the biggest plot twist, I can never think about the ending without sobbing a little each time. Crow was my favorite character, he was so mysterious and weird, but that's what I loved about him, the birds were attracted by the sound his head made, that was the first clue of what he really was, (You have to read the whole book) along with the fact he said he could fly.
There is a second graphic novel, the seque
C.J. Milbrandt
Blue is a newsboy in a city where the ongoing war against neighboring countries is in the headlines. Making ends meet is tough, so the chance to work part-time for a quirky inventor is a big deal. And then there's Crow, a new and mysterious friend, and an old friend Hector, who's a war correspondent on the trail of a big story.

Filled with some of my favorite things. Jumping quickly into the sequel!
Terry
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I might go 2.5 stars on this one. The artwork was okay, and the story was a bit predictable. The story was also confusing at times as the characters all looked and sounded the same. There wasn't a real distinct voice for any of them. This had a lot of potential, and I was really excited to read it. It just never quite reached what it could have been. ...more
Robin Stevens
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An odd, beautiful and unique graphic novel about a girl pretending to be a boy in a fantasy steampunk world at war. I love how much Ru loves birds (I agree with her, they are the best), and I loved how sparky and fun this story was. (10+)

John The
Good Book for the reading of the books...
Maggie Gordon
NewsPrints is a cute little story about a girl disguising herself as a boy so that she can sell newspapers. Then she meets a scientist and becomes his apprentice. Then she meets a strange boy. Also, the world is at war and everything is steampunky! The plot of this book isn't particularly unique. The world is not our own and is fleshed out enough to make sense, but not enough to really capture my interest. The art is just fabulous though. Full colour pages with detailed backgrounds. It's a joy t ...more
Phillip Brunetti
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Graphic Novel Entry #1

"NewsPrints" by Ru Xu is directed towards children who read at an intermediate grade level, 3rd-6th grade. I identified this novel as a science Fiction graphic novel because though the setting reflects a time somewhere around the early 1900s the world is geographically dissimilar with different countries and cities, and engaged in a fictional war. Though the world that the characters live in is somewhat realistic, the book implements unrealistic technology such as fictional
Minseo Kim
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had many aspects of feminism and I loved the wonderful illustrations as well!

There was the classical but also significant, modified symbolic elements (such as the birds) which really made the puzzle in this comically made story fun to figure out. I had a great time reading it!
Nell
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, signed
Aaah, I liked this!
Dorcas
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The scene progression was a little choppy, but I really liked the characters and artwork. I want more Crow!
Dakota Morgan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Newsprints is bright, colorful, and busy, busy, busy. There's a lot of activity and heavy-handed themes and scads of characters who drift on and off the page. The plot is a whirlwind that primarily focuses on Blue, a newsboy(girl), and her relationships with Jack, an inventor, Crow, a newfound friend, and Blue's vast found family at the local paper. It's hard to keep track of any details, though. There's newspaper stuff, a war, inventions, feminism, personhood, ambition, etc., etc.

I ultimately h
Natalie
Super fun and awesome illustrations!

Blue is a newsgirl, posing as a newsboy. She doesn't understand why she should have to hide who she is. She ends up working as an apprentice for Jack, a wacky inventor, and then she meets Crow, a mysterious boy who is also more than he appears.

Meanwhile a war is going on and her country is looking for someone who invented a weapon and left. It all comes to a head in Blue's hometown...

Loved this book! I know the fifth graders will eat it right up! (Though par
Jasmine
This is beautiful, but it really feels like it's setting up for part two, which apparently is not forthcoming. There's all these questions the narrative starts up— why did the war start in the first place, is jack a good guy or not— which it never answers, and Blue's whole arc of wanting to be open about identity while selling papers, just kinda ends with disillusionment about the concept of papers. So plot wise I have some questions. The art and the world building (bird-themed countries? the wa ...more
Lizzie RoseShine
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kierra
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this at my eleven year old's insistence, so she could talk to me about it. I've admittedly only read a couple of graphic novels, so I'm no expert in the genre. That said, it had an interesting story, but I felt like there were sometimes narrative pieces that were missing...left a lot for the reader to fill in, and led me to feel lost a few times. The art was a bit monotone for my liking, which I could tell was an intentional choice. I didn't hate it, would have just loved more color. ...more
Jessica
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn
I did not love this book. The artwork felt muddled to me particularly in action sequences. Issues of gender identity were used as plot points rather than developing character. The best parts of NewsPrints were call backs to other similar stories. In a growing market of action graphic novels, this one is middle of the field. Better stories can be found elsewhere.
La Coccinelle
Thank goodness there's going to be a sequel! I was a bit worried there for a moment...

This is one of the better graphic novels I've read. With its sort of steampunk 1920s setting and nicely drawn illustrations, it's a fun book. While it wasn't the most original in terms of some of the themes (i.e., girl pretends to be a boy so she can actually do stuff in a rather sexist world), it had a decent plot (though not what the synopsis led me to expect). Some of the characters were a bit of a miss for
Anna
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored NewsPrints by Ru Xu. I got to know about it after I read her webcomic Saint for Rent, which I love, and I'm so glad I decided to read it. I loved Blue and the other characters, and the art is so lovely. Just read this! It's such a heartwarming story. ...more
Cleo Joyce
Graphic novel with several interesting things going on--historical setting similar to WWI, sci-fi technologies/almost steam-punkish, and a girl dressing as a boy to get by. Not my favorite new GN I've read this year but a solid suggestion for the GN reader who has tried everything. ...more

• Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • The Sand Warrior
  • One Trick Pony
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Anti/Hero
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Stargazing
  • City of Secrets
  • Shirley and Jamila Save Their Summer
  • Glitch
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
Ru Xu grew up in Indianapolis and received a degree in Sequential Art from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She is the creator of the popular webcomic Saint for Rent, and NewsPrints is her first graphic novel. Her favorite things include historical fiction, fat birds, and coffee-flavored ice cream.

NewsPrints (2 books)
  • EndGames (NewsPrints, #2)

News & Interviews