Start by marking “NewsPrints” as Want to Read:
NewsPrints

NewsPrints

(NewsPrints #1)

Blue is an orphan who disguises herself as a newsboy. There's a war going on, and girls are expected to help the struggling economy by selling cookies. But Blue loves living and working at the Bugle, the only paper in town that tells the truth. And what's printed in the newspapers now matters more than ever.

But Blue struggles with her secret, and worries that if her friend
Published January 31st 2017 by Graphix/Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about NewsPrints, please sign up.
Rena Stewart Yes. There is going to be a sequel that will be released in 2019, named Headlines.

Lola
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I quite like Ru Xu’s art, especially the colours she uses. She fills the layout of the graphic novel - every panel has beautiful detail - which is not something every graphic novel artist does. Some don’t take the time to draw a background, but Ru Xu does.

So this story is definitely pleasing to the eyes. It makes reading it not dull, tedious or repetitive. Wonderful vibrant colours.

Therefore, the art is not at all a problem. Even the story isn’t awful. I mean, it’s been done before, what with th
David Schaafsma
Steampunk meets the twenties and AI civil rights, as a girl disguises herself as a boy so that she can sell newspapers. Then she meets a scientist, becomes his apprentice, and then meets a boy who is also keeping a secret. There’s a war on! Art is very good, and the story is solid, if not all that original. Good, not spectacular, but an impressive debut!

Another book about girl newsies? Brian Vaughn’s Paper Girls.
Kate (GirlReading)
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun read and I loved the art style but I unfortunately felt as though the story was a little disjointed and the pacing felt somewhat frantic and lacking in explanation/information. I especially found this to be the case when it came to gender identify and a few other key plot points. However, it was a super quick read and I now have a major craving to watch newsies...
Molly
All right, I might be coming around on the robot civil rights movement with this one. GIVE ME TIME, ARTIFICIALLY INTELLIGENT FRIENDS!
Mandy Kirkendall
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I have a soft spot for girl newsies. Whatevs.
Raina
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j, sci-fi
Fun little sci-fi adventure, with full-color, manga-adjacent art.

The world here was interesting - it's a little early-20th century with the newsies and architecture and the mechanistic innovation. It'll appeal to kids who like Kazu Kibuishi's stuff, and Tower of Treasure and Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank. Oh, and I always have a weakness for the girls-dressing-up-as-boys/genderplay genre (Newsgirl, Shakespeare natch).

Didn't blow me away as much as I expected it to, but you know w
Ms. Yingling
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I've purchased a couple of "better" graphic novels for my collection, but my students seem to prefer the falling apart copies of Stickman Odyssey. For $25, I think I'll pass on this one, although it's very well done. The whole Steampunk trend has completely by passed my students, and I think that my graphic novel readers would be a bit confused by the setting.

Definitely a better quality graphic novel, but I don't think it would circulate well.
Alexander
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m wandering around my school's book fair, thinkin’, “What do I wanna get?” Then I looked around a bit and OHMYGOSHTHATLOOKSAWESOME! So I read the blurb and the title, Newsprints, purchased the book, and I start reading. SO worth it.

The actual book is about two people, Blue and Crow, who aren’t as they seem, in a cross between steampunk london and 20th century New york. One is an orphan who disguises herself as a newsboy under the Bungle, while the other has a seemingly unnatural connection to
Robin Stevens
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An odd, beautiful and unique graphic novel about a girl pretending to be a boy in a fantasy steampunk world at war. I love how much Ru loves birds (I agree with her, they are the best), and I loved how sparky and fun this story was. (10+)

Maggie Gordon
NewsPrints is a cute little story about a girl disguising herself as a boy so that she can sell newspapers. Then she meets a scientist and becomes his apprentice. Then she meets a strange boy. Also, the world is at war and everything is steampunky! The plot of this book isn't particularly unique. The world is not our own and is fleshed out enough to make sense, but not enough to really capture my interest. The art is just fabulous though. Full colour pages with detailed backgrounds. It's a joy t ...more
Bogi Takács
The art was fun, but the story was rather muddled, with some unfortunate cissexism.

(view spoiler)
Levi
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: try-again-later
For some reason, this wasn't quite working for me. I really liked the characters and the messages that Xu presented, but I didn't sync with the art well. Plus, there were times when information seemed missing or glossed over.

I may come back to this at some point, but most likely not.
Minseo Kim
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had many aspects of feminism and I loved the wonderful illustrations as well!

There was the classical but also significant, modified symbolic elements (such as the birds) which really made the puzzle in this comically made story fun to figure out. I had a great time reading it!
Dorcas
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The scene progression was a little choppy, but I really liked the characters and artwork. I want more Crow!
Phillip Brunetti
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Graphic Novel Entry #1

"NewsPrints" by Ru Xu is directed towards children who read at an intermediate grade level, 3rd-6th grade. I identified this novel as a science Fiction graphic novel because though the setting reflects a time somewhere around the early 1900s the world is geographically dissimilar with different countries and cities, and engaged in a fictional war. Though the world that the characters live in is somewhat realistic, the book implements unrealistic technology such as fictional
Jasmine
This is beautiful, but it really feels like it's setting up for part two, which apparently is not forthcoming. There's all these questions the narrative starts up— why did the war start in the first place, is jack a good guy or not— which it never answers, and Blue's whole arc of wanting to be open about identity while selling papers, just kinda ends with disillusionment about the concept of papers. So plot wise I have some questions. The art and the world building (bird-themed countries? the wa ...more
Jessica
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn
I did not love this book. The artwork felt muddled to me particularly in action sequences. Issues of gender identity were used as plot points rather than developing character. The best parts of NewsPrints were call backs to other similar stories. In a growing market of action graphic novels, this one is middle of the field. Better stories can be found elsewhere.
La Coccinelle
Thank goodness there's going to be a sequel! I was a bit worried there for a moment...

This is one of the better graphic novels I've read. With its sort of steampunk 1920s setting and nicely drawn illustrations, it's a fun book. While it wasn't the most original in terms of some of the themes (i.e., girl pretends to be a boy so she can actually do stuff in a rather sexist world), it had a decent plot (though not what the synopsis led me to expect). Some of the characters were a bit of a miss for
Anna
I absolutely adored NewsPrints by Ru Xu. I got to know about it after I read her webcomic Saint for Rent, which I love, and I'm so glad I decided to read it. I loved Blue and the other characters, and the art is so lovely. Just read this! It's such a heartwarming story.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful. A fantastic world and great dramatic arc. The characters are passionate and inhabitable. The art is nuanced and distinct. The colors are some of the best I've seen in a while. I love Ru Xu's creations. You should be reading Saint for Rent, their webcomic!
Cleo Joyce
Graphic novel with several interesting things going on--historical setting similar to WWI, sci-fi technologies/almost steam-punkish, and a girl dressing as a boy to get by. Not my favorite new GN I've read this year but a solid suggestion for the GN reader who has tried everything.
Rebecca
Gorgeous art and worldbuilding! I was here for the advertised feminist Newsies steampunk story... but so many characters and ideas ended up crammed into this book that the big messages never landed with the weight they deserved. Hoping the sequel will be better paced.
Nadine
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Steampunk meets emancipation in a new graphic novel featuring a feisty girl news-seller who encounters an automaton and comes to its rescue.
Melissa
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, ebook, owned
This is the cutest and I want MORE.
Jill Kenna
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book! I think it would be very well suited for middle grade children. It has great lessons about gender roles and not letting them define you or what you want to do with your life. Great things to teach kids young. Also, the art work was amazing!
Taylor Iachini
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-work, favorites
The art and colors were so fantastic and beautiful! I read all of this in one sitting, and I REALLY hope there is more to this story!
Dolly
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
Gorgeously detailed artwork and a complicated plot with a cliffhanger ending make this graphic novel a great introduction for a new series.
David
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for starting discussions about gender identity, equality, artificial intelligence, and the reliability of news sources!
Scott Robins
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-kids
A familiar story that gets a bit clunky in spots but manages to come together to a satisfying conclusion. Artwork is an interesting mix of Japanese manga and Euro comics influence.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2017.

NewsPrints (2 books)
  • EndGames (NewsPrints, #2)