Start by marking “The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales (Once Upon a Time Today, Prelude)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales (Once Upon a Time Today, Prelude)

The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales (Once Upon a Time Today 0.4)

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Heather Baker believes in fairy tales, and she turns to their timeless wisdom whenever life gets difficult. Again and again, the playfulness, symbolism, and deeper meaning in fairy tales have filled Heather with hope, nurtured her spirit, and fired her imagination. Sometimes touching, and sometimes humorous, these loosely biographical tales capture three transformative exp ...more
Published July 8th 2014 (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales

Terri M.

The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales by Heidi Garrett is a compilation of three short stories, "The Girl Who Watched for Elves," "The Girl Who Dreamed of Red Shoes," and "The Girl Who Couldn't Sing." I am a huge fan of books that take well-known fairy tales and twist them into something new or of stories that create new fairy tales. I have entire shelf dedicated to these types of books on GoodReads.

I really struggled with The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales. All three stories are apparently abo

Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl Who Believed in Fairy Tales is comprised of three short stories. I'll review each story individually and then share my thoughts about the stories as a whole.

"The Girl Who Looked for Elves"

A girl named Heather goes to a tarot reader and reviews her life in the past, present and future. This is the story of how her parents ended up divorcing and all the fighting that led up to that. Her father remarries, and her stepmother
Nay Denise
**I received this book in exchange of an honest review.**

My rating for this book is 3 stars. This is a bind up of 3 novellas called The Girl Who Watched for Elves, The Girl Who Dreamed of Red Shoes and The Girl Who Couldn't Sing. These are all about one character named Heather Baker and her journey through life, love and relationships in some aspect.

The only story I thoroughly enjoyed was The Girl Who Watched for Elves. I absolutely loved the way Heather was making symbolism out of what the read
Ruth Hill
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, e-books
First of all, please understand that this is a collection of three short stories. And you will more than likely find at least one that captures your interest. That was certainly the case with me. I absolutely loved the third one in the series that was about the girl who could not sing. I would venture to say that the author has musical training/knowledge, and that spoke to my musical knowledge. I would have loved to have read an entire book on this story by itself.

I can say these books are clean
Cinta
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Even though this is an interesting bundle of three stories loosely based on fairy tales and biographical details about the author herself, I couldn't really get into it, and the last story in this collection, "The Girl Who Couldn't Sing" was plainly boring and annoying. Heather, the protagonist, believes in fairy tales and will rely on them when seeking for advice. Can we always relate our daily life events to fairy tales? In this
Tales Untangled
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
What constitutes a modern fairy tale? Is there magic or science? Is there a moral? Are there archetypical figures?

I like the premise of Garrett's book, but I feel like I need to relate the main character more deeply and I need more elements from the fairy tales in each story. There was the archetypical evil step mother in the first story. Red, being a symbol for passion and danger is definitely present with the shoes in the second story. I would have liked to see more done with the ...

To read mo
Zimes
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a giveaway. I did not enjoy the characters or the stories in this book. This book is set up as a prelude so it contains three short stories all with the same main character at different points in her life. I love fairy tale reimaginings but that's not really what these were. They were more stories about the main character Heather struggling with something or having a problem. The problems were very modern and everyday, the author just used fairy tale/ fantasy language to tell ...more
Jamie Crosby
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Words can not explain the movement I felt upon reading this book. It touched upon the very core of journey's I myself have traveled.

The wonderful cover, letter to the reader and the incredibly well written book are a wonderful combination. A must read! I got this book free from the author for this review. I received this book as an ebook and enjoyed it so much that I am going to by a hard copy to add to my library.
Jennifer Lang

• Stop, Thief!
  • Crime Spells
  • Witch Fantastic
  • A Regency Valentine II
  • Auguries of Dawn (The Legends of Dhanen'Mar)
  • Creature Fantastic
  • Strangely Funny
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #3)
  • Pouraka
  • Enchanted Forests
  • Fearless
  • Sword and Sorceress 23
  • The XYZs of Being Wicked
  • Realms of the Arcane (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #5)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Keys (Vows and Honor Series)

Once Upon a Time Today (4 books)
  • Beautiful Beautiful (Once Upon a Time Today, #1)
  • Dreaming of the Sea (Once Upon a Time Today, #2)
  • The Tree Hugger (Once Upon a Time Today, #3)
  • I Am Lily Dane (Once Upon a Time Today, #4)