Start by marking “One Dark Night (The Dark Moon Series #1)” as Want to Read:
One Dark Night (The Dark Moon Series #1)

One Dark Night

(Dark Moon #1)

A lovely romance woven into swashbuckling action that will keep you enthralled for many a dark night.

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy Yorton, dragged away from her privileged early life, must slave on a bleak, run-down farm. Those around her suspect she is a spy and treat her accordingly. Her problems increase when two men enter her life:-

Lieut
Published July 9th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about One Dark Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dark Night

Start your review of One Dark Night (The Dark Moon Series #1)
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
3.5★

I had high hopes for this one - but it didn't quite measure up.

The time period for this historical was the the tail end of the Regency, but it wasn't a copy cat of my beloved Georgette Heyer and this wasn't set in her world - which usually means a cut & paste of some of GH's dialogue and characters behaving like it is the 21st century - only wearing long dresses or pantaloons! But this was the hard and terrifying world of smugglers - and the start had quite a few threads going.

I had a few qu
Brenda
Lucy Yorton had enjoyed a privileged upbringing alongside Dougie, son of the owner of the manor. When her mother, who was the housekeeper, abruptly left their home with only Lucy in tow, their circumstances changed dramatically. Lucy was only eleven years old and working as a scullery maid to support her mother – but she was a hard worker and well-liked by the woman she worked for.

As the years went by, Lucy was aware of the smuggling which was in the area – but it didn’t touch her; she was a na
Tori Clare
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't have the imagination for things past, so I'm not a fan of historical fiction and never will be. But I don't mind stepping out of my comfort zone on occasion, so long as the book is well-written. This was. It's credit to Anna Faversham that she kept me entertained for a lot longer than one dark night through this historical fiction/romance book. Meticulously researched, with attention to detail. Tightly written, and a clever plot which was well realised by the end. ...more
Carole P. Roman
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and atmospheric trip back in time to the 19th century Kentish coast where smuggling is a way of life. Lucy Yorkton has lead a rather privileged life despite the fact that she is the illegitimate child of the housekeeper. Against her mother's wishes, she has been educated with her playmate Douglas, the Baronet's son. The master of the house refuses to minimize Lucy and relegate her to the servants quarters. In a fit of pique, her mother takes her and relocates to a mean farm exposing ...more
Heather Burnside
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good tale of triumph over adversity especially within a historical setting. The author did a good job of depicting the difficulties that the protagonist faces as well as illustrating the lives of smugglers at that time. While reading the book I found myself rooting for the protagonist and hoping that things would come right for her.

The book slowed down a little towards the end but overall it was still an enjoyable read, and I would recommend it to other fans of this genre.
Carolyn
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, historical
This is a sweet historical romance set in the 1820s in a village on the Yorkshire coast where smuggling was rife. Lucy, a naive young woman working on a run down farm, doesn't realise she is in the midst of smuggling operations until she is removed by Lt Karl Thorsen, the King's Revenue officer charged with hunting out the smugglers, and given a housekeeper's job in his household. In the meantime she's fallen for Daniel, the son of the leader of the smugglers and finds it hard to believe he coul ...more
Allison Kohn
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was so good I had even dreamed about it after I forced myself to put if down and go to bed. Anna Faversham not only has a wonderful magical imagination, she does her research well. Her descriptions are so vivid I felt like I was there watching and listening the the voices, the sea, and the flute. I highly recommend this book to all lovers of history or romance. The romance is more than just the love story.
Abigail Bok
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the early nineteenth century in a remote corner of Kent, young Lucy Yorton has grown up in a socially ambiguous position. As a child, she is the playmate of the son of her mother’s employer, Sir William Harper; but after her mother leaves her housekeeper’s post, Lucy is made to work as a menial laborer on a farm. Lucy is an odd combination—part lady, part servant, she stands out for being different in ways she doesn’t fully understand.

During the economic depression that followed the end of w
Kath Middleton
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lucy is brought up in a wealthy household with the owner’s son, Dougie. Her mother is housekeeper and her father the butler. Once the young people reach their teens, they are separated and her mother takes Lucy to live away from her roots. Their cottage is by the coast and there is smuggling in the area, attracting the attention of the revenue men. Two men with very different backgrounds and intentions fall for Lucy as she grown from a shy child into a young woman.

The story is quite fast moving
Aslaug Gørbitz
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this author’s first book, Hide in Time.

One Dark Night is a very well written second novel. It has a great story line, solid characters and plenty of suspense and romance. The writing in this novel, I am not sure exactly how, but it reminds me slightly of Phyllis A. Whitney. This story is better, more engaging, at least for me.

I fell in love with Daniel from the very start. Lucy is very believable and a likeable character. The secondary characters are also very believable and wel
Kevin Marsh
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One Dark Night, another beautifully written book by Anna Faversham.
I really enjoyed experiencing the plot, going on a journey with the characters who soon became my friends. I really wanted to know what happened next so found it difficult to put this book down. As A Man of Kent, I appreciated the references to places in the area where the book was set. One Dark Night is a lovely story which comes well recommended.
Pick up a copy now, find a comfortable chair and enjoy.
Stephanie Albright
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is exquisite writing. The story is beautifully told, the characters are charming and the writing is just lovely. I can't wait for more! ...more
Tony Spencer
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark romantic mystery on a knife's edge.

On dark nights in Regency England, the smugglers operate their business on the North East Kent coast. Meanwhile, Customs & Excise try to thwart their plans, confiscate the brandy, silk and other luxuries, and hang or exile the culprits to the other side of the world.

In the midst of this world, 19-year-old Lucy Yorton struggles, as a farm servant, to earn a living wage to support herself and her mother. Until seven years earlier, her father was butler and h
Theresa
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know anything about this period in history before I started this book. I know quite a bit now.

The story starts out as Lucy as a child on a wealthy estate and her mother,Annie, and the land owner are arguing about her. I didn't realize just how awful her mother was yet. She just seemed bitchy.

From there the story goes to Lucy's mom leaving with Lucy and making her live in poverty, and Lucy being the one who has to go find work, while she does nothing. It is on the farm where she finds w
Julia Bell
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Ms Faversham's first novel Hide in Time and enjoyed it very much, but I think One Dark Night is a well-deserved five stars. Beautifully written, the story is populated by interesting characters that I grew to love. Even Lieutenant Karl Thorsen, who was seeking revenge for the death of his father, still portrayed good qualities that lifted him out of the evil villein category.
Lucy and Daniel are the love interest and their growing affection for each other is sweet. Lucy has an endearing na
Space Cowgirl
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Regency Mommie Dearest 💔

Regency era Romance💕 and Thriller.🔫🔪
It's the time of high taxation in England and this creates the smuggling and piracy that goes on among the coastal peoples. They're just trying to make a living. Along with the smuggling comes gangs, violence, and power struggles. The common people are struggling to survive.

In this 🌎world is a local Baronet, a widower, his son, and his housekeeper's daughter, as well as a violent smuggler🔪 and his son. The different paths they are set
Sharon Dubuque
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So darn good!!!

I thought this was such a good story. It has so much happening at a time, you have to keep your mind alert. But, it is a loving and down to earth story, I just love it.
Enid L.  Lapham
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery Redemption and Romance

I enjoyed this book immensely! There are twists and turns, rescues and kisses. An amazing dog to top off the characters. From smuggling to entrepreneurship, Daniel is redeemed.
Rita Chapman
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well-written historical romance set in Cornwall in the days of smugglers. Poverty drove ordinary people to smuggle, women had limited opportunities and very few rights, justice was swift and brutal. A great read and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ...more
Terri
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice story, great ending. Danny and Lucy.
Carole Johnson
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great historical read!

Have added Anna Faversham to my favorite authors list!
Great plot, interesting characters and an inspirational story.
Looking forward to the next book.
Gail Meath
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One (beautifully written) Dark Night...
As a lover of historical fiction and romance, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this fascinating novel that takes place during the aftermath of the Napoleon wars in southern England. Everything about it pulled me into the story. Amazing, well-developed characters that you fall in love with, both main and minor. A compelling plot with an obviously well-researched and detailed setting, giving the reader a pictorial view without slowing down the pace or distracting
Samantha Henthorn
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great historical fiction with all the elements of a classic, but written now! I was interested in this book because I do like to read a historical domestic novel every now and then. I was curious about how people became so rich by smuggling in those days. (It doesn't sound too bad does it? Ripping off the taxman). Anna Faversham has done a grand job with this setting. On a par with treason, smuggling was one of the most life-threatening organised crimes of the day. Seemingly, everyone is caugh ...more
Elaina
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honestly I bought this book because it was cheap and I liked the cover and was happy to find that it was a very enjoyable read. I pictured everything perfectly and I liked the characters and the setting. Well written, would recommend for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
CB Loves Books
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story - rich with historical descriptions, this story of a girl's tough life really drew me in. The story is a mystery of sorts following Lucy's departure from a rich household as a child. She had a good life, but her mother wanted her to have the life of a servant, that which she was born to. Lucy has grown into a kind woman who falls in love with a man she's too poor to marry. When her mother disappears, Lucy is thrust into a life of uncertainty and adventure as the mystery of her past u ...more
Lady Delacour
Cleanishhh
4 Mild Words.
Joo
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lucy starts her life in early 19th Century Eastern England in a good home as her mother is a maid to a well-to-do family, but they have to leave to a life of poverty. Well for Lucy anyway and her mother takes all the money she earns. As she blossoms into late teenage, Lucy find herself the centre of attention of two eligible men who hate each other.

This tale of life in the times of smuggling depicts how hard it is to survive unless you get a chance. Lucy needs to make a choice, but which should
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Anne
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
A well done book with mystery, two lovers interested in the H, Lucy, and smuggling on the English coast. Very exciting and a good book.
SylvIa
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice, Easy Read

I liked the historical aspect of this book. It also had a mixture of suspenseful events that kept me interested.

• Catalyst (Breakthrough, #3)
  • Leap (Breakthrough, #2)
  • Moth Busters (Freaky Florida Mystery Adventures #1)
  • The Hard Way Home
  • Four Months, Three Words (Months, Words, Decisions, Duty, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa: Writing a New Story (Beauty for Ashes Book 1)
  • Leashed (Going to the Dogs, #1)
  • The Invisible Ones
  • A Small Place
  • M is for Mother: My Journey into Motherhood
  • Morning Man
  • The Last Monument
  • Breakthrough (Breakthrough, #1)
  • Sweet Like Sugar
  • The Straight Crimes
  • Trials and Tribulations
  • You Don't Look Sick: My Journey With an Invisible Illness
  • Wild Irish Heart (Mystic Cove, #1)
I have lived most of my life in Kent, England but I’ve also lived in New Zealand and central Africa. Both had a lasting influence. Africa dragged my love of writing to the surface. Living some forty miles from the nearest tarmac road and seventy from anything pretending to be a bookshop, I soon ran out of bedtime stories for the children. Scribbling began.

On returning to England, fiction had to t

Dark Moon (3 books)
  • Under a Dark Star (The Dark Moon Series #2)
  • One Dark Soul (The Dark Moon Series #3)