Start by marking “Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)

Cinderella and the Colonel

(Timeless Fairy Tales #3)

There is an alternate cover edition for this ASIN here.

Scratching out a living in a land recovering from war and a hostile takeover, Cinderella—an orphaned, destitute duchess—is desperate to save her lands and servants in spite of the terrible taxes placed upon her by the Erlauf queen, even if it means she must don servants’ clothes and work like a commoner.

Her sacrifices
Published July 8th 2014 by Take Out the Trash

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella and the Colonel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella and the Colonel

Start your review of Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
Sharon
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2017
A Cinderella story where the step-family isn’t so terrible?
A Cinderella story about war and prejudice and finding forgiveness between two nations?
A Cinderella story about slow-burn love, and not love at first sight?
A Cinderella story about a Cinderella who is not saved by her godmother or by a prince or by mice, but by her own hard work and initiatives, WITH the help of people who recognize her strength?

Plot
I love that this Cinderella story has so many new layers. It contains serious topics, but
Mara
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, young-adult
This is one of those reviews of mine were I stress strongly that the reactions and the consequent review are purely mine. Or if you prefer, there's nothing wrong with you (book), it's me.

It won't change the rating, which reflects my enjoyment of a book, but it may help you understand whether this Cinderella is the right woman for you.

Yes, Cinderella and the Colonel is correctly treated as a re-telling of the famous Fairy Tale. What was unclear from GR and the vendor was that the retelling crea
Taylor Parker
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cinderella and the Colonel was a refreshing spin on a timeless story. The author managed to take a story where the heroine is a victim and turned it into a story about not waiting for a prince to save her. She takes her dismal situation and becomes her own hero. The characters are multi-faceted and take on lives of their own as the story unfolds.

I have never been find of the story of Cinderella. I always hated how going to the ball and getting married were all she was meant to do. It made her i
Carolyn
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I found K.M. Shea's work earlier this year and have been immensely grateful as her books got me through some very tough weeks at school.

Cinderella and the Colonel is one of her best yet, even better than Beauty and the Beast. What I appreciated most about Cinderella and the Colonel is that K.M. Shea gives everyone (1) a believable motive and (2) believable actions stemming from that motive.

I want to avoid spoilers, but let me just say that it was a pleasure meet a Cinde
Ginnie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mine, retellings
Recommended to me by Emma.

I think this is my favorite retelling of Cinderella to date.

Since Erlauf has taken over Trieux, Cinderella is trying to keep her estate together with all her loyal servants, even if she has to sell everything, including her hair, and become working class. As the highest Trieux Nobility left she is being taxed to death by the new government.

I liked that this wasn't an insta-love story but a relationship based on friendship.

If all fantasy was written like this, I would r
Phoebe Prince
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cinderella and the Colonel by K.M.Shea

I did not intend to go on a retelling kick...but I went on a retelling kick. What can I say. I have itches that need to be scratched. In particular, I love retellings that are sweet/clean romance and deliver the happily-ever-after (HEA) ending. The Timeless Fairytales series delivers retellings that have an idealistic undertone, but the heroes and heroines have teeth, grit, and enough interesting character tweaks to be interesting. Also, there's a cohesive u
Melissa
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun Clean. Some writing issues in this one were more noticeable to me but it didn't take away from the fun and romance of the book. Cinderella is so far one of my favorite characters in Shea's books. She was strong and a great lead for this roll. I wasn't sure I was going to like the Coloenel but wow he really grew to be great. This was a sweeter kinder take on Cinderella and I really liked it. It was like a regency read more then a fairy tale retelling and they handled the whole ball thing grea ...more
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
My Edition: Kindle Unlimited

Pages: 238

Series: Timeless Fairy Tales #3

Rating: 4.5 stars

Review: I finally found a telling of Cinderella I liked. This didn't have a stupid prince or anything like the old one. I really liked this story. I loved how Shea made the Colonel. He was my favorite.

Cinderella was a duchess and her evil step mother and sisters were actually not evil. They pretty much ignored her almost the whole time. Erlauf invade Trieux which is Cinderella's country. With the tensions of ev
Fani *loves angst*
A very nice story about two people from opposite sides falling for each other, light and witty and engaging. The character development was minimal though, all the characters were good and pure at heart while Cinderella was of course the fairest and wittiest and most kindhearted of them all. I liked the twist about the stepmother though, it was refreshing.

For adolescent readers, it's a perfect read, and it was a good escape read for me, right when I needed
something non-taxing or stress
Teddy
Coco.V
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (1/1/2020)! 🎁
Camille
I was a bit worried when I started Cinderella and the Colonel, as the beginning was rather slow and full of dull politics. I admired Cinderella and how kind, loyal, and hardworking she was, and the twist that she’s voluntarily working in order to protect her family home and the loyal servants within it was lovely. It was enough to keep me reading, but the story kind of dragged until Colonel Friedrich entered the picture.

Once he did, I thoroughly enjoyed his and Cinderella's slow-burn romance. A
DemetraP
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. It's a great spin on the traditional Cinderella fairy tale. The interactions between the hero and heroine were hilarious. I kept laughing.

I loved how strong the heroine was. When there was a problem, she tackled it. If she didn't know what to do, she figured it out.

There was action and magic and lots of laughs.

One negative: No sex scenes between the hero and heroine. After all the build up of their romance, I would have liked a peek.

Overall, I loved this
Jasey
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty close to perfect for me, like most of Shea's books, and I pretty much loved everything about it! The characters were wonderfully fleshed out, even some of the more minor ones, and there was character development! I always appreciate it when an author takes a somewhat dislikeable character and turn he/she into a favorite!
The UHQ Nasanta

Read #1 December 26, 2015 - December 28, 2015
Read #2 December 28, 2015 - January 3, 2016
Read #3 October 28, 2016 - October 28, 2016
Read #4 January 13, 2017 - January 14, 2017
Teya Teya
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Creative! Differently! An explosion of charm and strength! I think I love it even more than the original. I'm very impressed with Shea' s writing. TOTALLY RECOMENDED!
Jenni Sauer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I randomly picked this because I was in the mood for a fairy tale retelling and wanted something light and romancy.

It was a quick read full of funny moment, sweet themes, and a very shipable couple. Cinderella and Friedrich are too adorable and there were so many moments that had me squealing. I love Cinderella's sweet heart and I love Friedrich's grumpy but soft character

The Cinderella elements were perfect! They were clearly there but also the story way very much fresh and original. I've alway
Mila
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not a fan of romance, but this series hits the spot for me with the interesting fairy tale retellings and also fulfills my small quota for romance stories. This book in particular had a very interesting main heroine and a cute love interest so it was easy to get invested in their relationship, I even got a bit teary-eyed in the end. So yeah, it was quite an enjoyable and fluffy book that managed to cheer me up when I was feeling down!
Lynn
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this series by K.M Shea. The first one Beauty and the Beast showed a lot of promise. There were a few tells of an inexperienced writer but it had a lot of promise. I skipped the second book as it had some things I didn't think I'd enjoy from looking at the reviews. I went on to this book which was a really enjoyable.

It's a retelling, obviously, of the Cinderella story. Except, as with all the books in this series, there are some liberties with the fairy tales. They don't go jus
I really wanted to like this one. I like retellings and even though the first book of the series underwhelmed me, I wanted to give this author another try.

This wasn't without its charms: dual pov, totally clean and safe, no OP drama of any kind, and an h who wasn't a hormonal mess. I appreciated a strong h, who wasn't languishing around in a dilapidated castle, waiting for someone to help her out. I also liked the message of loyalty and hard work being rewarded. However, the development of this
Intisar Khanani
A fun story, though I think I'd be angrier (a LOT angrier) at the reveal at the end if I were Cinderella. Some things taste more like betrayal to me than others, I suppose. At any rate, there's a slight creep factor which is supposed to be mitigated by lurrrrv which I'm going to overlook since the rest of the story was quite enjoyable, and the retelling had both more depth and more originality to it than many.

Actual rating 3.5 stars
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darque  Dreamer
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
Cinderella and the Colonel is a refreshing twist on a classic tale. It has historical charm, humor, romance, and magic. Shea's Timeless Fairy Tales get better and better with each addition!

I really loved the wit and charm that this one had to offer. It reminded me a little of the movie Ever After with its historical world feel and the sense of friendship between Cinderella and her servants. It had several refreshing twists compared to the usual retellings of the tale, and had a few surprising mo
Mela
A nice, charming retelling of "Cinderella". [But, still, the best variation I have read is "The Reluctant Godfather" (here my review).]

Let's be honest, Cinderella is one of these fairy-tales which are too much ridiculous at one point. I mean, one ball, one shoe and then the HEA. Of course, the story of abusing young girl by her family is timeless, but the true value of the story of Cinderella one can see mostly in a good retelling.

In this version, there was little abusing by the stepmother but C
Claire Banschbach
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cinderella has never been my favorite princess but I might be her biggest fan after reading this retelling. After her country is invaded, Cinderella does whatever she can to keep her lands and servants. She's smart, a hard worker, knows her limitations, and has zero time for the Colonel that starts paying her attention. And let's not forget her wicked sense of humor. I kept shouting "Go, Cinderella!" through the whole book.
Fantastic book and very well written! I couldn't put it down. The Colone
Amie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this preachy and shallow. While I appreciate a proactive heroine in what is typically a passive fairy tale, this Cinderella had no depth. Neither did the prince (aside from being a bit of a jerk that never realized that called perfect stranger "pet" isn't very polite).

The ideas of attacks from dark magic were only superficially developed and really did nothing to contribute to the story or character development. The only real antagonist was the queen, and that whole thing was resolved i
Lexi
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-love-story
An excellent retelling of the classic Cinderella story. Instead of a victim of a cruel step-family, this Cinderella is a strong woman who dedicates her energy protecting those who are dependent on her and her land. It is wonderful to read a retelling where Cinderella isn't waiting for a prince charming to rescue her, but is doing everything in her power to help and protect those she cares about.
Brittany
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-or-fae
I am really enjoying this fairy tale series. The author takes fairy tales and does a pretty good job of retelling the tales. Cinderella is one of my favorite tales this was an okay retelling. There was only one problem with the story. I did not like that Fred lied to her and she did not even stay mad for long. That annoyed me.
Christina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing retelling of a favorite fairytale!!

I usually enjoy fairy tale retelling, but this author has shot to the top of my list as being one of my favorites. She entrenched you as the reader into her world and despite knowing the classic fairy tale, I am constantly surprised by the plot and the storyline. Well done!!
Jill
Easily the best of the series so far! Cinderella was a distinctive character with a strong personality, yet the author managed to keep her likable. Her interactions with the hero contributed greatly to her likability. And the Colonel was the best hero in the series by far. :-)
This one kept my attention all the way through, and I look forward to reading book #4.

• A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

Timeless Fairy Tales (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Swan Lake (Timeless Fairy Tales, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Timeless Fairy Tales, #8)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)