Start by marking “Fool Me Twice (If Only . . ., #1)” as Want to Read:
Fool Me Twice (If Only . . ., #1)

Fool Me Twice

(If Only . . . #1)

Last summer, Mackenzie and Landon were the perfect couple. And then he dumped her and broke her heart. Fast-forward a year and they’re back at their summer jobs at Serenity Ranch and Spa with Mack and her best friend Bailey, spending their time fantasising about making voodoo dolls and playing childish pranks on Landon.

Luckily for Mack, the perfect opportunity presents its
Published May 1st 2014 by Bloomsbury

Natalie Monroe

Watch your step, my pretties, there's an awful lot of cheese lying around. Don't step in the fluff either.

Fool Me Twice was one of my most anticipated books of 2014. It sounded like a light, fluffy read and a revenge storyline involving a scorned ex-girlfriend and an amnesic douchebag? Sign me up immediately.

Sadly, I got way too much of the fluff and not enough of the evil plotting.

The story follows our protagonist, Mack, who was totally blindsided when her boyfriend, Landon, broke up
Rashika (is tired)
I was actually looking forward to this book after reading the synopsis. I may or may not have a little obsession with novels involving second chance romances which is why I jumped aboard this one, and I was let down.

There is WAY too much cheese in this one and so many stereotypes used. The characters were cliche-like and while this bothered me, it didn't bother me nearly as much as the amount of cheese in this book.

At first I thought the main character would genuinely try to get revenge and whil
Brigid
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: Mandy Hubbard is my agent. That said, I haven't read all of her books, and I think this is the first one I've reviewed on Goodreads. If you know me at all, you know that I'd never let a personal relationship manipulate my rating of a book. ANYWAY.

I bought this because I thought the premise sounded cute: after a boy hits his head and forgets an entire year of his life, his ex-girlfriend pretends they're still together to get her revenge for the way he scorned her. I'm generally n
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Audio listen. I love books involving amnesia. Something about the idea of a clean slate/fresh start/second change. And that is exactly what the character takes advantage of. Her ex-boyfriend broke her heart after a great summer he went back to his old girlfriend. Now spending the next summer at the ranch where they work he falls off his horse and gets amnesia. Her chance to break his heart but with second chances she learns maybe she was part of the break up. Maybe they weren't being true to eac ...more
Erica
I read this super-fun romance in one night. It was EXACTLY what I needed.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
3.5

I thought this was cute, this gives the whole “second chance” plot a new twist. Mackenzie and Landon dated the previous summer at the ranch. When they return to school he gets back together with his ex, without officially breaking up with Mack. The book starts a year later when they are both back at the ranch to earn money for college. They haven’t really spoken and Mack is still pretty hurt by how everything played out. So, when Landon bumps his head and gets a case of amnesia (throwing him
Lisa (lifeinlit)
3.5 stars!

I’ve read my fair share of amnesia books. I’m usually very lucky with them and end up enjoying them, but I’m always a little scared going in. I feel like this subject matter can really ruin a book if not done correctly. I’m happy to say this book handled it adorably. Mix that with a second-chance romance (which is one of my personal faves!) and you’ve got yourself a happy reader over here. :)

It’s summer again, and Mackenzie is back where things all started with her ex, Landon. The prio
Jessica
Hmmm. I like the idea of getting revenge on an ex, and I like that it takes place on a ranch, which is something I haven't seen in a YA book in a while. But I'm kind of freaked out by the fact that when Landon is thrown from his horse and concussed badly enough to forget an entire year, no one takes him to the hospital, and these two girls decide to toy with him... Yikes!
Danielle (Love at First Page)
First thoughts
Fool Me Twice is everything fluffy and cute, though its level of cuteness will more than likely depend on how forgiving you are of the love interest.

Summary
It's the summer before college, and Mackenzie ("Mack") has returned to work once more at Serenity Ranch and Spa. The only downside? Her ex-boyfriend will be there, too. They had a whirlwind romance one summer ago, but Landon broke her heart by getting back together with his ex-girlfriend once school started again. Even worse, h
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Check out all my reviews at Skye's Scribblings!

Genre: Young Adult Romance
Rating: Teen (sensuality, skinnydipping, mousetraps)
Told: First Person (Mack), Present Tense
Format Read: ARC (provided by publisher)

Series: This is the first in the If Only "Series," a new teen romance line from Bloomsbury. They have announced at least three titles so far, each written about different characters and by different authors. I don't think they will have anything to do with each other, and therefore can't
Katie W
(3.5 Stars) I get it. Teenage love can be rough and when you've been dumped by someone you really like, you tend to want revenge--especially if you just can't get over him. Meet Mack. She and Landon were a great couple, but after the summer ended, he pretty much never talked to her again...until they ended up working together once again the next summer.

Mack is a girl who marches to her own drum. She takes things to the extreme--dying her hair in patriotic colors and wearing worn baby blue cowboy
Amy
Nov 24, 2015 marked it as not-going-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
I can feel my brain cells dying. Must. Preserve.
Anita
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

I have a lot of wavering feelings about this book, but in the long run, Fool Me Twice was simply one of those cutesy, yet bipolar-ish experiences where parts of the story make you wince and get all irritated and frustrated, and parts of the story are actually quite enjoyable and fun.

Because from the beginning, Book and I got off to quite the rocky start; however, by the time Book got going, past the halfway point, I had trouble continuing my resentment of Book and we came
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
What's that saying?
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice...

Sometimes when life is throwing you all kinds of realities, you just need to get lost and bury yourself in a book that is a huge jump from those realities, makes you feel good and provides a whole lot of laughs. When I first read the synopsis for this book I knew that it was going to supply me with just what I needed.

Mackenzie and Landon had spent a perfect summer together. Spending time getting to know each other, and falling in
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this novel was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I was quite intrigued by the premise of this book when I first saw it pop up on Goodreads. I mean, who among us hasn't wanted to get revenge on an ex after a really nasty break-up? But despite the manipulation aspects, this book turned out to be cute and kind of fluffy, if not a bit juvenile at times.

On top of Mack's plan to make Landon fall hard for
Emilia
Fooled me

I'm gonna be honest here and say I didn't really like this book. I just didn't feel the story. The characters were meh, the writing okay, and the actual plot unrealistic. It just didn't have that wow factor for me. I was especially disappointed because I loved the others in this romance series. This was written by a different author so that could be why it's not as good as the others.

Like I said the writing was okay. It's nothing to rave about. However, I wouldn't say it was terribl
kari
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2014
A sad little two stars.
There is no depth to the characters or their relationship. At the end of this book, I still knew little to nothing about either of them. Why does Mack die her hair multi-colors and wear silly clothes? It doesn't really seem to be about self-expression because she is too self-conscious about how different she is from the beautiful Bailey, so why then? I don't know.
Landon, with minor exceptions, it only objectified. Mack obsesses about his arms, abs, and various body parts,
Katy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had my doubts, but this was actually cuter than I thought it would be, and I ended up enjoying it very much.

Let me start by saying I had a hard time getting into the first few chapters. In the first, I though Mack wasn't over Landon and wanted him back. But then, in the second chapter, she acted like she a witch and couldn't get away from him fast enough. I understand caring when you don't want to, but let's just say Mack wasn't my favorite. But after the initial Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde turnar
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This is the second book I have picked up from Bloomsbury's new line and I have to say, I am loving them! So much fun.

These are the reads that I absolutely crave some days. The hopeless romantic in me demands to be fed and these give me exactly what I need when I have needed them.

I adored Mackenzie and her pranks and full loving attitude and my heart went out to her over her heartbreak with Landon. And even though in the beginning I didn't want to like or even love Landon, darn the author, I cou
M.
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Fool me Twice is the story of Mackenzie, a girl who has the opportunity to get revenge on her ex when he loses his memory and still thinks they are together. So she plays along with his memory loss. The plan is to make him fall in love with her for real this time and dump him by the end of the summer, thus crushing his heart.

Of course this plan will backfire because Mackenzie is still in love with Landon. At first, I wanted her to
Cheryl
This was just a bad book...and I hate saying that about a book. But there was really nothing good about it. The characters were blah, the plot was boring. I really didn't care what happened one way or another.

Landon falls off a horse and has amnesia and yet no one takes him to the hospital. And the only people who notice that he has amnesia are the main character, Mackenzie, and he BFF Bailey. I mean come on. They are working at a resort ranch and NO ONE else notices that he has no idea what ye
Kelsey van Dillen
4,5 stars for the major plot twist at the end. Very cute, Original lovestory.
Rose
Dec 05, 2013 marked it as not-yet-released  ·  review of another edition
The premise sounds a little silly but it could be a lot of fun, SO GIMME.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Actual rating: 3.5-4

Like/love
- the pranks
- the constant movie quoting
- romance!!!!
- mac and bailey's friendship
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Enjoyed this one. Review to come.
Nicis
1.5 THIS BOOK IS SO SILLY AND CLICHE AND TEENAGER AND UGH u.u
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I read Fool Me Twice in one sitting, and I had a pretty good time doing so. It's easily digestible and gives you exactly what you expect at pretty much all times. If that's what you want, this book will work for you.

It is, however, not a particularly original book. Then again, contemporary romance generally isn't particularly original in terms of plots or tropes, but the characters are where books shine or flop. They don't shine in Fool Me Twice, but they're functional enough. Expect everyone ou
Sam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when you cheat on your girlfriend with your ex and the next summer you have to work with her? This realistic fiction book, Fool me Twice, by Mandy Hubbard, is a very romantic and suspenseful book that will be you sit on the edge of your seat. This story includes Mackenzie, the heartbroken voodoo doll obsessed teen. Bailey, the over obsessed guy lover and Mack's best friend, and Landon the heart breaker. Mack is working at a ranch over the summer with her ex Landon. Later on he fell ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • The Chapel Wars
  • My Faire Lady
  • Wild Hearts (If Only . . ., #4)
  • Anything to Have You
  • Just Like the Movies (If Only . . ., #7)
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Stella (Stella, #1)
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • The Summer Invitation
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
  • Second Impact
  • Skipped
  • Crushed (Crushed #1)
Mandy Hubbard is the author of PRADA & PREJUDICE and YOU WISH, both novels for teens now in stores. In 2011, her releases include BUT I LOVE HIM (written as Amanda Grace) and RIPPLE. She is also a literary agent for D4EO Literary Agency. For more information, visit her website.

If Only . . . (8 books)
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Wild Hearts (If Only . . ., #4)
  • Red Girl, Blue Boy (If Only . . ., #5)
  • Everything But the Truth (If Only . . ., #6)
  • Just Like the Movies (If Only . . ., #7)
  • What You Always Wanted (If Only . . ., #8)
“One, two, I’m coming for you, three, four, you better lock your door.’”
-Nightmare on Elm Street -Fool me twice by Mandy Hubbard”
1 likes