Start by marking “The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf (Hobson & Choi #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf (Hobson & Choi #1)

The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf

(Hobson & Choi #1)

"If we get 400 followers, John Hobson will solve that nasty wolf-murder case for free! Fight the thing himself if he has to! #HobsonVsWolf!"

Angelina Choi was only trying to drum up some Twitter followers and make a good impression on her first day interning at John Hobson's one-man detective agency.

But the campaign went viral and now they have a murder to solve, no money c
Published July 22nd 2014 by Nick Bryan (first published July 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf

Karl Wiggins
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good!

I was quite looking forward to reading this because of the unique storyline; a combination of private detective and modern-day social media marketing, but I approached the book with no small amount of trepidation, mainly because of some of the review comments, ‘Packed full of wit,’ ‘Dark humour,’ ‘Darkly funny’ and so on.

I scribble a bit myself; I’m a humorist and raconteur, and because of that people are always getting in touch saying, “Your stories are hilarious. We have the
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it

Well I really enjoyed that!! The humour, sweariness, everything was exactly how I like it!

A mystery with a massive bloke, a tiny teenage girl and blood. Does everyone really have a Twitter account!?

I enjoyed the bonus story too and the return of Micro. Sure I know some guys like him.

The reason it isn't 5 stars is simply because it wasn't longer, I wanted more of Hobson and Choi and I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for the next book.
Mark Tilbury
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, black-comedy
Private Investigator, John Hobson, wonders what he has let himself in for when his work experience/intern, Angelina Choi, tweets he'll solve a case for free if he gets over 400 followers - using the hashtag #HobsonvsWolf.

Choi's idea seemed a good idea at the time she created Hobson's Twitter account, but he soon points out the consequences of her social media exploits. Hobson agrees to investigate, partially to annoy his ex-wife who works in the local police force and because the case intrigues
Dylan Hearn
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book I shouldn't have liked. I bought it due to the great cover (designed by DesignforWriters who also created the covers for my books) and because the premise sounded interesting. However, after the first few pages I realised it was, while not exactly a cozy mystery, something along those lines, and I usually don't get along with this type of story.
But something strange happened. I read the book in two days, really enjoyed it and I'm not sure why.
The tone of the writing is YA but the
Agnieszka
Main story:
The books started interesting and got me curious about the unusual main character combination (Hobbs a 30-something male detective and Choi a 16 year old female intern) told from the perspective of the girl. In the beginning I liked the combination of those two so very different 'cultures' but the story was taken over by Hobbs, which didn't really make sense to me since it was told from one point of view.
Another factor I really liked in this mystery was the inclusion of social media i
Lynn Gardner
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this when it was free on Kindle, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

This was a fast paced, short mystery. I have been on a mystery/suspense kick, and this book fit that bill. It also has Hobson and Choi, two unlikely people working the case together. Hobson is a detective who owns his own agency, and Choi is a 16-year-old trying to get some on-the-job experience. While Hobson is a huge, intimidating middle-aged man, Asian teenage Choi is petite and looks like sh
imyril
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This comedy crime caper with its absurd premise started well, but lost a lot of my affection over the course of the case as I stopped being able to suspend my disbelief in any of the characters and started to feel it played for laughs in the wrong ways. That said, I liked Angelina Choi enough to be mildly curious about how the series develop.

Full review
charlotte
Rep: Korean mc

dnf @ 22%
Verity W
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me a while to get into (I had to read the start a few times to get it straight in my head - I blame nightshifts) but I ended up really loving this. The dynamic between Hobson and Choi is great and the mystery is good too. My only complaint was that it was over too soon - so the short story in the back was a total bonus. This is fairly gritty, but with enough of a sense of humour that I didn't find it too much for me. I'm definitely going to be looking out for more in the series.
Stephen Cox
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bryan writes with great wit about the seedier side of London, and I laughed out loud more than once. New girl Choi manages to trap her boss into a bizarre challenge on the first day of work... To have a male detective and a younger female sidekick may not strike people as enormously original. (However, this, the first book in the series, was written before 'Robert Galbraith' hit the bookshops.) Well worth the time.
Michelle Toy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review was original posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

Wow! I LOVED this book with a capital L! The girl who tweeted wolf is a fab introduction to the world of Hobson and Choi! I literally could not put this down. A great mix of adult crime, but with a crossover appeal to YA...just perfect.

The story is told from alternating perspectives by Hobson, the presentable clean shaven punctual detective with a slightly unpredictable fiery side and Choi, 16 year old intern on work experience for two
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
16 year old, Angelina Choi is on her first day of a two week internship at Hobson's detective agency. Hobson is unsure what to do with her, so asks Choi to create a twitter account and to get him a few hundred followers.

Choi does a quick bit of reading about social media, and eventually tweets "If We get 400 followers, John Hobson will solve that nasty wolf-murder case for free! Fight the thing himself is he has to! #HobsonVsWolf"

Clearly it was a master stroke of social media management and it d
Claire Rousseau
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved that the whole story kicked off with Choi doing the brash “I’m not a kid” teenage thing and messing up the twitter account. The social media aspect of this book could so easily have read as gimmicky, but Angelina’s eagerness to prove herself and be taken seriously makes complete sense, and because there are serious consequences to the slightly distasteful murder-solving twitter promises, the reader doesn’t feel cheated.

The mystery plot was well-paced and building up to a tense resolution
Fi
Adult/YA crossover but there's lots of swearing, especially the F word.

If you like your crime solving private eyes with a dash of humor, a lot of cynicism and one of the oddest parings in history then the Hobson & Choi books are definitely for you. John Hobson is a one man detective agency stuck firmly in the 20th century and really doesn't know how he's ended up with a sixteen year old intern for two weeks. It's not like he actually does much... Angelina Choi is is sixteen and wondering ho
Alex Scroxton
Jul 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
There is a lot to like about The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf so I felt compelled to write a review to explain my lower than average star rating, which is mostly to do with sloppy language and bad editing. This would be a far, far better read if an editor was let loose on it to curb some of the odder turns of phrase. As it stands I was constantly being jarred out of the text by its awkwardness. Yes, I understand that Hobson and Choi is self-published and I support self-publishing, but that doesn't excu ...more
Toby Zara
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. Tiny 16 year old girl on work experience with giant detective (now there's a good central premise) gets involved with solving what looks like murders committed by a wolf. It takes place (ostensibly) in London, but after a few sentences you know you're in some parallel universe where cause and effect are but loosely connected and behaviour can be surprisingly casual ('Oh! Another blood splattered corpse? Time for lunch but no tomato ketchup'*).

But it's fast paced and funny, sweepi
P.A. Wilson
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Hobson and Choi series, a mismatched pair of detectives who find the weirdest cases.

It all starts when Choi shows up for her internship with Hobson. She's sixteen and her parents aren't exactly happy about her interning with a detective. Hobson figures a kid like Choi knows all about social media and gets her to start a twitter account.

By the time he gets back from a meeting, Choi has offered to solve a case for free, and promised that Hobson will fight a wolf. Wha
Dani
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Normally I don't read much in the way of grisly murder mysteries but the premise of an over-eager teenaged intern tweeting her boss onto a pro-bono murder case was too good to pass up. I didn't catch the installments posted in the serialized format, partly because I'm far too impatient to find out what happens next. I'm quite glad I waited because the book is a very fun read (which seems a bit odd to use as an adjective considering the grisly murders, but there you are) and I finished it in one ...more
Virginia
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hobson is a curmudgeonly detective with anger management issues in need of an assistant who is tech savvy, but not annoying enough to want to punch.

Choi is a mature and tech savvy high school student in need of an internship that won't bore her to tears.

Together they form an unlikely partnership as they set off to solve an even less likely murder case.

Yet the two characters are likable, believable, and make you care about what happens to them and the mystery they find themselves grappling with.
Janine Southard
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book has a great concept (and an amazing cover):

A private investigator's intern "helps" with the company's social media presence -- the PI will solve a high-profile case for free if he gets 400 twitter followers. What follows is a detective story as PI + intern figure out who the serial killer is.

This novel was originally published as a serial, and this reader thinks it probably worked better in that format. Which accounts for a missing star. There were moments while reading that it felt li
Leslie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops, mystery
This is a quirky book. The story of a 16 year old girl who is doing her; work study in detecting, with a PI. He assigns her to create a social media account and get him followers. So she tweets if they get 400 followers he will solve a mystery for free. The case is particularly bizarre as two men have been torn apart by a giant dog / wolf in London.

Angela Choi is clearly in over her head but she keeps on trying. Hobson is rude, bitter and cold. Yet they work well together even though her parent
The Book Moo
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, the characters are portrayed brilliantly. I love the switch between voices and they suit both Hobson and Choi's age, gender etc. The story is interesting and comes to a satisfying climax with intense scenes and action. Well written and I can't wait to read the next installment!
Sophie
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great premise and a lot of fun to read. Loved the mismatched detective duo and it was done very well avoiding sterotypes and with a lot of affectionate humour. Also feel that the character development was very well done and lays the foundations for the future books to build on. Oh, and that breakfast scene will stay with me for a very long time.
Hitessh Panchal
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
The Plot was excellent. Worth Written in much better way. Most of the time i found it as an advertisement booklet of SUBWAY. For all characters based in London and around, the Language seems too much inclined to be American. Though it was gripping inspite of so many flaws. Can be read once..
Liette
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
The plot was nice but the language used by Hobson was a little offensive and it disturbed me a little.

The idea of using social medias as one of the main characters was one of the reasons why I picked this book.

I might get the next installments in the series but not now.
Jane
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Got his book free through Kobo/BookBub. Was attracted by the title but found the book itself slow going and a little childish. Possibly more appropriate for the teenage market except for all the swearing!
Alastair Ball
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious modern crime comedy caper. I was a big fan of this story as a web serial and love it's transition to eBook. The characters are funny and engaging and the plot whisks you along. I can't wait to read the next volume
Colleen Vanderlinden
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a story I loved when I read it as a web serial, and reading it in novel form was even more enjoyable. Highly recommended -- good mystery, plenty of (somewhat dark) humor, and characters that I cared about from page one.
Vicki
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really liked Hobson and Choi was delightful. She was interesting and fun. I liked Hobson's cranky style. The crime they were solving was interesting too and the characters were intriguing. Great story. I can't wait to read more.
Samantha
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good story. Terrible writing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Mad Hatter Mystery (Dr. Gideon Fell, #2)
  • The Starling Project
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Winter Warning (Isaac Sidel #12)
  • Pompomberry House
  • Worst Week Ever (A Long Road to Love, #1)
  • The Mancode: Exposed
  • Rules of Lying (Jane Dough Series)
  • The Hollow Man
  • Die Rosenzüchterin
  • Ascension of the Whyte (The Afterland Chronicles #1)
  • A Chance for Sunny Skies
  • The Edge of Reason (Edge #1)
  • The Older Woman
  • Head of State
  • To Bear an Iron Key
  • After You with the Pistol
  • Ex and the Single Girl
Nick Bryan is a London-based writer of genre fiction, usually with some blackly comic twist. As well as the ongoing self-published detective saga Hobson & Choi, he is also working on a novel about the real implications of deals with the devil and has stories in several anthologies.

He can primarily be found on his own website at Nick Bryan Dot Com and on Twitter as @NickMB, both of which are up

Hobson & Choi (5 books)
  • Rush Jobs (Hobson & Choi #2)
  • Trapped In The Bargain Basement (Hobson & Choi #3)
  • Blood Will Stream (Hobson & Choi #4)
  • Angelina's Choice (Hobson & Choi #5)
“It all snapped into place, as Angelina remembered Will, the good-looking receptionist she’d met on the way up. She’d thought he ought to be older, or at least scarier, to be the front desk guy in such a dodgy block. Hobson was still talking. “You saw what on Twitter? Oh, um, yeah, I guess that is us.” “No, I’m not going to fight a wolf, my work experience girl got a little carried away.” He laughed into the phone, still somehow sounding bored at the same time. “But yeah, it’s an interesting case, isn’t it? I guess it captured our imagination. Well, you know, I don’t want to tell you too much this early in the investigation, but keep watching the Twitters, I suppose.” Well, Angelina stewed, this internship was meant to prepare her for the world of work — now she knew how it felt when the boss took credit for her effort. “Yup,” he continued, “I suppose that was in bad taste, I’ll have a word with Choi about overstepping the mark in future.” Now she was the heartless bitch too. Her hand flicked, wanting to grab the phone and apologise to Will personally. “Okay, thanks for calling, Will. Cheers.” He replaced the handset, slowly. Tapped his desk. Eventually looked up at Angelina. “So, real people can see your tweeting?” “Real” 0 likes