Start by marking “Holes in the Ground” as Want to Read:
Holes in the Ground

Holes in the Ground

(Konrath/Kilborn Collective)

MONSTERS EXIST...

Linguist Andy Dennison-Jones knows this all too well. He and his veterinarian wife, Sun, have been chased by them before, and barely escaped from a secret underground government facility with their lives.

Now they once again find themselves trapped alongside a collection of creatures straight out of hell. Fighting with them is an unlikely group of misfi
Published June 30th 2014 (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Holes in the Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holes in the Ground

Start your review of Holes in the Ground
11811 (Eleven)
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I gave a five star rating to Origin, twice - once for the book, and a couple years later for the audio book. This was about a 1.5. I don't how that worked out. Both were a mash up of ridiculous humor but this sequel seemed more ridiculous and less humorous. I didn't read the Wright edition included before Konrath touched it so I can't comment on that. I'm not about to read the story a second time to find out.

I only read one other Wright book so far, The Final Winter, to prepare for this since th
WendyB
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Very entertaining. Even better than Origin the first in what looks to become a series.
Lots of strange creepy creatures and action. Fun character and humor.
David Dalton
I really like stories like this one. Where two great authors team up to write a great thriller. A darn good sequel to Origin by J.A. Konrath . Both are similar in nature and full of action, and some darn good scary monsters. Why is this not a film franchise?

If you like Origin, then you will like this thriller. It also features a few characters from The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright by Iain Rob Wright. I have The Final Winter on my Kindle but have read it yet, but I plan to soon.

Hey about you two authors teaming up for a prequel to Afraid by Jack Kilborn ? I w
Suzy Tadlock
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MONSTERS!!!

This was a different kind of book, at least I thought, for Iain Rob Wright. I enjoyed it of course, just like I've enjoyed all his books I've read. All kinds of monsters locked up in "cages" they can't get out of. The very monsters you had nightmares about when you were a child. Hundreds of years old. A couple of adorable ones though. Loved that! Heaven and Hell. Good and Evil. Do the good guys win or do the monsters kill everyone? You must read this book and find out.
Ann Keeran
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Speaking as a reader who has read almost every book written by Iain Rob Wright and J.A. Konrath, this book is a dream come true. It includes horror, sci-fi, a tad of religion and humor. At times it is horror at its best, creatures who want you for lunch. Then there are the parts that are horrifyingly funny and monsters who are nothing but cuddly and a really cool banana. An amazing collaboration between two of the greats. Definitely need more!
Daryl lawrence
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

Fast paced, familiar characters and a few twists. I'm just starting to read Mr. Konrath's work and so far I'm really impressed with his writing style.
Tressa
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, demons
Yes, Holes in the Ground has a similar plot (Beelzebub and ancient, mythical creatures kept in an underground government facility) and some of the same characters as Origin, the first book in the series, but it is just as much fun. And gory! This time an even more special ancient figure is thrown into the mix, and I enjoyed the religious and historical aspect of the story. I just love when historical facts and events are woven into a fictional story in a seamless way—e.g., Abraham Lincoln: Vampi ...more
Laura Thomas
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Two of my go to authors when I want something dark that makes me squirm while reading have come together with a thrilling new story. I enjoyed The Final Winter by Iain and Origin by Konrath. Now they’ve teamed up and written the sequel to Origin, including character’s from both of the books.

Imagine a secret society who’s sole purpose is to protect mankind from things that go bump in the night. Things we believe exist only in our imagination. Deep below ground there are creatures beyond imaging.
Tiffany
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Authors J.A. Konrath and Iain Rob Wright come together to create Holes in the Ground. This thriller serves as a sequel to Konrath's Origin, but also features characters from Wright's Final Winter. Linguist Andy Dennison and veterinarian Sunshine Jones are now married, but before they get the opportunity to enjoy their honeymoon, they find themselves being brought in to work in yet another secret underground government facility. Except this time around, the government is housing more than just Bu ...more
Nev Murray
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
OK so J A Konrath is one of my fav authors. Iain Rob Wright is one of my fav authors.

Konrath's "Origin" is one of my fav books so when it came to pass a sequel was being written and it was a collaboration with Iain Rob Wright......well I just couldn't wait for it.........I have not been disappointed. This book is just superb!!!!!!!!!

The original "Origin" is set in a secret underground facility in America where a dark secret has been kept hidden for years to be studied to try and find the secrets
Jacqui
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, horror
"Protocol Omega has been initiated. Repeat, Protocol Omega has been initiated. You have thirty minutes to evacuate the Spiral." The General blew out a deep breath. "May God help us all."

What a ride. J. A. Konrath has created another gem with some much loved characters. Holes in the Ground takes places not long after Origin left off. Andrew Dennison and Sun Jones are finally happy, having married just 24 hours earlier. They begin their new life on a romantic honeymoon, blissfully unaware that one
Chris
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This wasn't as good a book as I thought it would be. It is a VERY good book...... just not the book I thought would be the sequel to "Origin". :-( I was a little disappointed....... really wanted the sequel to be done SOLELY by the original author.... JA Konrath. It seems like he enjoys having books done with other authors...... who are NEVER going to have the same take on his original as he is. This was evidenced in the second copy of this book, which follows the "co-written" version on the Kin ...more
J.F. Penn
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved Origin, so this was a must-read follow up with a similar story line. Beelzebub is held in an underground bunker, holed up with creatures from myth and legend, a horrific array of monsters. But it becomes evident that his plan is not to stay locked up for long...
Monstertastic in the vein of Jeremy Robinson and James Rollins earlier work.
Joao Nogueira
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2021
NOTE: This is the sequel to J.A.Konrath’s “ORIGIN” (a great book that I strongly recommend!) and of course that you should read it first before jumping into this one. Because it is also a collaboration with Iain Rob Wright and two characters from “THE FINAL WINTER” (another great book that I also recommend) have a relevant role here, I think you should also read it first (even if it’s not as important as “ORIGIN” to understanding “HOLES IN THE GROUND”) – OK, it can works as a stand-alone, but yo ...more
Wenzel Roessler
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What an amazingly fun read! If you like horror, religion and humor mixed in one delicious cake this book is for you . At times it is tense and scary and at times funny, the book is a great balance of it all. Sure, they way all the characters comes together is a bit of a stretch but in this story it really did not matter. I like all of the easter eggs from previous Konrath stories and this really makes me want to start reading the Iain Rob Wright books.
Christine Bishop
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Sequel to Origin!

Holes in the Ground is actually two books in one. The first story is a collaboration between Konrath and Wright and the second story was wrote only by Wright. I personally liked the first one because the imps and Wolfie were more involved and you have a few more survivors. If you’ve read Origin then Holes in the Ground is a must read.
Ami
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent entertainment to be had within! The previous statement should be on the cover of this fast-paced, horror/black humor/dystopian novel. I did not want to put it down for any reason but I fell asleep against my will! I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Read via Kindle Unlimited
Kay Smillie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having recently enjoyed Origin I had to reread The Final Winter before getting stuck into this sequel featuring characters from The Final Winter. And it worked! Horror writing that isn't boring. I love Iain Rob Wright (and Dave Moody) and now have to investigate more work by J A Konrath.

Ray Smillie
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this one. I had been wondering what happened to Bub after the end of the Origin and this was a great conclusion. My only complaint was that it started out a bit too slow.. It took a bit too long to get to the action. But once the action started, I was not let down. It was everything Konrath is known for: scary, intense, crazy. Great book.
Liz
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic sequel to origin

Two books in one the first a collaboration between the two authors and the second by Iain Rob Wright , basically the same but with some subtle changes, I liked the first one as it had a happier ending and wolfie got to live, I love a happy ending
Tracy Brower
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
This book kept me reading but it’s very campy. The characters are a bit annoying and monsters are bizarre (the talking banana was a bit much). Things got complicated and resolved very easily. I was glad when it was finished but am a bit embarrassed to admit it kept me entertained.
Bill Gilder
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SCARY

Dang, what a page turner. Very scary. I enjoyed the second part that was Iain's version before Joe got involved. I liked the finale version, which was the first part, better. They did good working together. If you like a his of horror and sci-fi you'll love this book.
Carolyn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holes

Holes was better than I thought it was going to be. It was my type of story. Good read. You will meet all kinds of monsters.
Janet
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
good story
Lisa Stethem
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Another decent collaboration from Konrath. Reading all his books makes these enjoyable by learning the characters. This book had some aspects I didn’t like but in the end, it was a good story.
Rachel Wainwright
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Epic!

Absolutely brilliant! Two of my favourite story tellers. If you like these writers then you would be mad to miss this!
Esther
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
SO disappointing as a sequel to Origin. Hardly any philosophical exploration and none of it made me feel mortally vulnerable in the way Origin did. No beast's attack could ever be as scary as that. I'll just have to reread Origin. ...more
Mario
Sep 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
I had received the ‘Ultimate Thriller Box Set’ from Amazon a while back and one of the included stories is ‘Origin’ from J.A. Konrath. I read the story and fell in love with it. Recently, I became aware Origin had a sequel so I purchased it for immediate reading.

Unfortunately, I did not like it as much as the original, but that’s always the danger of sequels, isn’t it? Still, I was surprised by just how much the difference really is.

I had originally written a long review explaining my various is
David Blaylock
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Glad I read Origin and The Final Winter first. Now I want to read Haunted House and Timecaster Supersymmetry. ...more
Kay Covington
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Enjoyable

This had some elements of the movie 13 Ghosts. Creatures are held in a "secure" facility. There is a grand story, good vs evil and chaos ensues. The story had lots of funny lines considering the situations the characters are in. The hero/s are not perfect and sometimes clumsy, which is refreshing. I enjoyed the quick read. I did not read the alternate story that was available at the end. It was basically the same thing with a few changes that were not worth reading the entire story aga

• The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
  • Trapped (Afraid, #2)
  • Afraid (Afraid, #1)
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Haunted House (Afraid, #4)
  • Dark Ride
  • House Beneath the Bridge
  • The Gates (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Escape!
  • The Room Upstairs
  • Blood on the Bar (Lucas the Atoner #1)
  • The Housemates
  • Sam (Damienverse, #1)
  • Extinction (Hell on Earth, #3)
  • 2389
  • Savage  (Ravaged World Trilogy, #3) (Damienverse, #7)
  • Wings of Sorrow
  • Defiance (Hell on Earth #4)
See top shelves…
Joe Konrath has written over a dozen novels in the Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thriller series. They do not have to be read chronologically to be enjoyed, but the order is: Whiskey Sour, Bloody Mary, Rusty Nail, Dirty Martini, Fuzzy Navel, Cherry Bomb, Shaken, Stirred, Rum Runner, Last Call, White Russian, Shot Girl, and Chaser. More coming soon.

If you love Jack Daniels and her cast of supportin

Konrath/Kilborn Collective (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The List
  • Origin (Konrath/Kilborn Collective #2)
  • Afraid (Afraid, #1)
  • Trapped (Afraid, #2)
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Haunted House (Afraid, #4)
  • Webcam (The Konrath/Kilborn Collective)
  • Disturb
  • What Happened to Lori
  • The Nine (The Konrath Dark Thriller Collective Book 10)

News & Interviews

“Your species. You have a terrific capacity for effing things up. For hurting one another. For making the world a worse place. But then you invent something like ice cream. That makes up for a lot. Makes you worth rooting for.” 1 likes
“If you ever want to get laid again, you’ll promise me.” Andy felt himself tear up. “Okay.” 0 likes