Start by marking “Karma (Karma, #1)” as Want to Read:
Karma (Karma, #1)

Karma

(Karma #1)

People say karma's a...well, you know. Personally, I don't think I'm that bad. It's not like I wanted this job. I wasn't even in my right mind when I accepted the position.

Published July 9th 2014 by Strong Hold Publishing (first published July 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Karma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karma

Start your review of Karma (Karma, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Why this book should have been Bloody Shrimping Awesome (BSA™):

The idea behind it is somewhat scrumptious: imagine slightly dying only to be offered a job as Karma herself/itself/whatever. And working with lovely people such as Lady Luck, Murphy of the Infamous Law, Danny the Tooth Fairy who likes to play golf with Death the Office Counsellor (he got his degree online, just so you know), Kitty the Cat Lady (no comment), Bert the Leprachaun (monitors clovers and stuff)
Choko
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalos, because we are searching for a good series new to us...

So, the Universe is like a entity which needs to be in balance and in order to keep it that way, "beings", some not human and some Humans who used to be alive (it's complicated), are hired to embody universal concepts who help nudge things in the needed direction. This is how when an accident killed Cam, her just separated from her body spirit was recruited to work for the "Company" as the new Karma.
Sh3lly
I had loads of fun reading this. Camilla gets dead and is offered a new body and job - as Karma! Yep, Fate, Luck, Murphy (of Murphy's Law), The Cat Lady (don't ask), these things are actual entities and make sure the universe runs smoothly. Only, of course, it never does!

Karma/Camilla takes the job, but then regrets it, and everyone treats her like crap because she's *just* a transfer. Plus, she insists she's only staying for her trial 30 days and then moving on...being born again and forgetting
Jane
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm starting to make a habit of finishing books I know I won't like from the first couple of pages. The trend is worrying because it's wasting time I could have spent doing other, more interesting things and it's making reviews like this one much more common.

The idea behind the story, an anthropomorphised Karma working alongside similar ideas of Fate, Luck, Death, blah blah blah, is not a new one, but could have been something much more intriguing then what is presented here. Instead, what we
Aisling Zena
Oct 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
Gotta love it when books you wanna read are free! Free on Amazon.co.uk at the time of posting.

Beige
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It's more like 2.5 stars, but I had fun so it's worth rounding up.

I agree with the other MacHalos - a nice light read. It's a cool idea with characters who take on aspects of superstitions and beliefs. They help tweak the lives of humans who are out of balance with the universe's mysterious plan.

The romance dominated the story line more than I prefer, especially given how many other cool aspects/characters the author could have chosen to focus on. Also the MC acts quite immature a lot of the
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I liked this a lot more than I thought it would. It was different, fun, and original. I definitely want to pick up book two.
Kate
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun read for book club. The writing was clumsy at times, but I really love the characters and twist on idea of Karma and Fate.
Kira
There are beings who keep the balance in the universe. When Camilla died she was recruited to join them which was rare. Each person has a specific job. Hers is karma.

The idea behind this was pretty cool. For a story where the focus of it is someone who lost everything, it could have been taken more seriously. She was only dead for a week or two and it seemed like she had adjusted fairly well to a life where she was around her old life but couldn't interact with it. It took no time at all for
Lisa
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. Karma and Fate are great together. I also loved all the other characters: Lady Luck, Murphey's Law, Death - who earned an online psychology degree, the Jinxes, Cupid, the Tooth Fairy, Harold - middle management, and the list continues. This book is funny, witty, and original.

The gist of the plot is that Karma (human name Camilla) was murdered. At her murder scene, she is approached and recruited by Harold. She signs on to a one-month trial to work as Karma for the
Coco.V
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/12/2017)!
Fangs for the Fantasy
Camilla was a lawyer before she died.

Now, after signing a piece of paper without properly reading it (yes, she knows but in her defence she was highly traumatised), she is Karma. A personification of the Universes sense of justice and comeuppance. And shes not happy about it, she didnt want this and shes hoping that maybe shell be able to duck out of it once her trial period is up

In the meantime, shed like to find her killer and bring all kinds of Karmic punishment down on him.

Camilla is now
Sheri
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Karma is searching for her murderer. How many people can say they were given that opportunity? A lawyer in life, after her death she is given the opportunity to work helping others...or rather bringing down Karma on others. Things don't always turn out quite as she planned, though, and as she learns her new position she must also deal with the hardships of it.

Karma is a great character. She is spirited and tenacious, never backing down from what she believes, all the while grieving for her lost
Sharon
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tired of all the vamps and weres? Well, even if you aren't, give Karma (yes, that Karma) a read. Camilla ends up working for the universe and trying to keep balance in the world...unfortunately she doesn't want the job, and on top of that none of her co-workers will talk to her. Fate is one sexy beast of a man, but he hates her, which is good because she hates him too, just wishes he wasn't so dang gone handsome.

Love the bullheaded attitude of Karma and the sexually tension filled relationship
Silvia Andrito
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A review of the full series. Actually give it 4.5 as a whole.

I loved this series and could not put it down. I read all four books in less than two days (it helps that I am sick and currently home, silver linings).

Karma dies and is recruited by an organization that keeps the universe balanced. She is a transfer (was human before she was recruited) so she doesnt really fit in at the office. But eventually starts making friends with her coworkers. She is trying to find the person who murdered her
Jeanny
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly good read. I look forward to the next book in the Karma series.
Shantee
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I really liked the concept of Karma, Fate, Luck, and Murphys Law being people. ...more
K.M. Galvin
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
from pagetrotter.blogspot.com

4.5 Stars!!

First, can we take a second to appreciate the absolute ingenuity of this idea? The afterlife is run like a low level corporate paper company...if you're thinking Dunder Mifflin than my imagery is working! It's incredible, really, and absolutely hilarious. The idea that there's different departments for the Jinxes, Lady Luck, Murphy's Law, Cupid (who sounds fascinating), Death as a counselor and the Cat Lady! Who's the Cat Lady? Oh, just the woman who send
Donna Zink
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
KARMA may be a b***h but this first book in the series is a definite winner. Donna has once again written an urban fantasy that is as unique as the characters that populate the book. I was drawn into the story within the first few pages. Im a sucker for a book with clever dialogue, plenty of action, and badass heroes and heroines.

Camillas death is the start of an amazing afterlife. She doesnt appreciate what shes signed on for though, once she realizes the full scope of what is going to be
Lori
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! Great Read.
very unique. a must read.
The best book Augustine has written to date.

Identifying with the characters becomes so natural it's like your there in the moment. Camilla or 'Karma' , is a strong character, intelligent, smartass and witty.
she is stuck with Fate who is the Hot guy in the book. we all need those to read about!

Karma isn't exactly happy she's stuck here doing this job but she made a hasty decision and she has to do what she has to do. being stuck with Fate isn't
Sherry Fundin
Just looking at the wickedly cool cover for Karma by Donna Augustine, I knew I wanted to read it. I was hooked from the very beginning.

She fights Fate tooth and nail. She is a transfer and a problem for him. I love her and her feisty attitude. I dont blame her for being ticked off, being forced to do a job she didnt sign up for.

Dont break her. I laughed out loud when I read it.

The fabulous, quirky characters have supernatural agendas, working to keep the world running in the natural order of
Cindy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Twisted

Turns out Karma isn't a bitch, but she sure is head strong. Her powers of persuasion are uncanny and I don't think it is a power from her job. Even before she died she had strong will. The idea of beings like Santa, Tooth Fairy, and leprechauns running around in an office and getting visions from the Universe is a really cool and Karma's job is one of the tougher ones since dealing out bad Karma isn't very fun.

There are still so many things unanswered by the end of the story. I am really
Gwen
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this one when both Amazon and Goodreads recommended it to me, it's a bit like going on a blind date and I don't have a good history with that. But I took the plunge and do you know I really enjoyed this book.
Camilla dies in an accident (or was it?) and is tricked into becoming Karma working with the guy she loves to hate "Fate", she tries to discover who killed her, what the hell is going on in the universe and how to get on with her work colleges, an odd assortment of ...
Sabrina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series-concluded
Typos and (view spoiler) be damned, this has been awesome.
I have a pretty interesting job, but I would rip my contract in a heartbeat if I could do/be Karma! :)
Heather
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Now, I'm surrounded by crazy coworkers like Lady Luck, who's a bit of a tramp, and Murphy's Law, who's a bumbling oaf. But the worst is Fate. He's got a problem with transfers like myself, and I have to see him constantly. It's unavoidable. We're hunting the same manmy murderer
So this book was enjoyable but confusing. I don't
Snarktastic Sonja
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was ok - probably 3.5 stars - I rounded up because it was free on Kindle Unlimited. :D

The beginning is sad and morose - it makes sense to be - it sets up the character and it doesn't dwell there longer than absolutely necessary, but it is sad and morose.

Then, we spend a few chapters setting up the world. Again, not longer than necessary, but it is a tedious step.

And, then we get into the story. And, it is confusing. I am still not sure what is going on. :D But, I sure enjoyed the ride.
Jessica
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 *
~~~Machalo Buddy Read~~~

This was light, fun, easy to follow. Like an urban fantasy light beer. I'll have another, since it's cold. I'm curious to see where this goes.
Lyndi W.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
Barely finished, should have DNF'd it around 20%. Took forever to get moving, nothing was explained very well at all, and the romantic interest is a raging asshole. Not interested in continuing.
Lila
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
description

This was easy, fun and fast read.
In fact, it was so fast I finished it in one sitting.

The story opens with bang- Camilla just had a horrible crash and as she is standing watching at her body- she is confronted with man who is offering her a new job.
Unique job.
She is new Karma. Her job is to make sure karma works when things are not on their regular, natural course. she is not very happy with new body, the fact that she has to say goodbye to her old life and people she loved, so she decided to
Danielle (Danniegurl)
4.5 Stars

This is an interesting story and I'm not sure what to think of it. Camilla died, and gets recruited to a position not many people will really tell her what her position is. She is to be Karma now, balancing life and righting wrongs. Seems cool. Except she's excluded. By everyone because she's a transfer, a person who was mortal but now is an immortal being. Who does stuff for the universe. I'm still not sold on these people. I enjoyed reading the book and I was engaged, the writing is

• Crossroads of Bones (Katie Bishop, #1)
  • The Witch Hunter (Witch Hunter Saga #1)
  • Wolves of the Northern Rift (Magic & Machinery, #1)
  • Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker, #1)
  • Lost Library (Lost Library, #1)
  • Boy in the Mirror (The Infinity Trials, #1)
  • Crescent Calling (The Crescent Witch Chronicles #1)
  • Damaged (Rebirth, #1)
  • Ever Strange
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • Shifter Origins: A Werewolf, Dragon, and Jaguar Variety Pack
  • Sea of Dreams (Sea of Dreams, #1)
  • Getting Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #1)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #1)
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • Stone Cold Magic (Ella Grey, #1)
  • What Fate Portends (The Frost Arcana #1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)

Karma (4 books)