Start by marking “Blood Day” as Want to Read:
Blood Day

Blood Day

The lights went out and the streets ran with blood. When the power came back on, the monsters were in charge. And the children were missing.

When the Reverents take over, they force humans to donate blood to feed their insatiable hunger. They overthrow governments and take away the music, television, and free will. The very meaning of humanity is about to change. But four p
ebook
Published December 31st 2015 by Hellzapoppin Press

To ask other readers questions about Blood Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Day

Start your review of Blood Day
Netanella
First line: The tree was breathing.

Amazing book by an amazing writer of beautiful horror stories. "Blood Day" is a vampire story, but unlike one I've ever read before. Murray paints a bleak dystopia where vampires have taken over society (here in Philadelphia) through human addiction to a drug called Slack, the mass kidnapping of children, and terror and midnight raids of humans who mysteriously vanish. Secret experiments are conducted, humans donate blood on their blood day, and everyone lives
Jen
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always excited when J.L. Murray releases a new one because I know blood, sweat, and tears are put into it. At the same time I am a bit hesitant though, because how can she top what she's already written?
"Blood Day" is a dystopia that does not disappoint. This is a fresh look at a topic we thought we already knew inside and out. Just and amazing premise to this book. Sia is an unlikely heroine but we, like everyone she meets, fall a little in love with her. As much as I cheered her on, at th
Latisha Bramlett
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Sandra Burns
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, but a mite long.

This is about civilization, ending as we know it. Humans are hunted for their blood. It is used to keep the creatures alive.
Edeena Cross
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this story, like so many others from Ms Murray, to be completely un-put-downable once I started reading. I was gripped from the beginning, with her smooth prose and fascinating take on vampirism and it's aftermath. I constantly wanted to know what was going to happen next, and followed along the twists and turns with fascination. I did find myself getting frustrated with the characters which, to me, is a sign that I am emotionally involved with the story. I was disappointed to reach the ...more
R.A. Lingenfelter
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
No spoilers, too many of them already posted! This tale took me awhile because it's not one you just blow through. The writing is intense, multi-dimensional and very well done. While I'm not an avid vampire tale reader, this book breaks out of the norm and offers a different take on the subject. J.L. Murray is brilliant in her writing and this author is an obvious rising star. ...more
Tamara
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the inviting, lovely cover ... to the captivating first line ... and beyond .... This is a vampire story for REAL. Well-written script and well-developed characters with an ending that is right up my alley. A book that will make readers think ... and perhaps even say aloud ... DAMN.
Carrie Marshall
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an Okay paranormal vampire semi- romance - alternative reality book. Sia's character morphs 180 during this book. A lot leads up to a shocking ending. It made me think what if another species took over the earth, would we be forced into going for our weekly " blood day" ? I would've liked to have had a better ending, but that wouldn't be Sia's way. ...more
Linda
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive Book

This book is one of my favorite Vampire apocalypse books. The storyline is impressive, but the characters become alive and I could not put this book down. Mike, Dez, Sia, and Viv were so well written. This book is a fight to regain humanity and it is a book you should not miss!
Holly Kilmister
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line came slightly confusing as you jumped about with different character, who were on different tasks. It does all come together again and is an enjoyable read. Not you average vampire story.
Ed
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only dislike

My only dislike about this book is there is information with the character development that would been beneficial earlier rather than later. Otherwise it was an incredible book with yet another new take on vampires.
Ricky Kimsey
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blood Donations

In the world of this book citizens are required, on a regular basis, to donate their blood to a vampire like race that has taken over the world.
Brian Abbott
Pretty good story
Carrie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The cover came close to putting me off reading this book when it landed in my inbox. I can see why the cover was used from a marketing angle as it would be clear as a thumbnail, but I'm not a fan of photo shopped looking photographs, it's just lazy.
The book, however, was enjoyable.
When the Revenants take over, they force humans to donate blood to feed their insatiable hunger. They overthrow governments and take away the music, television and free will. But four people from completely different w
Terri Lytle
This was a tough one to rate...three or four? Three or four? I ultimately settled on three, because while the ending was fairly captivating, I had a tough time slugging my way through the beginning. It was an alright read, but it took me forever to complete it.
Lady
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rise Of The Fallen

This is (unfortunately) a stand alone novel. I wish there were more!!!

Mike is a reporter in a world gone mad. He is not allowed to report anything but what the evil vampire overlords tell him to. Everyone must work. Everyone must give blood on their Blood Day. To to otherwise is to become a Feeder and never be ever again. Is this life? Or is it Hell? Will anyone ever really think again?

Sia was a musical prodigy... Until the music was taken away. Now she is just a Slack junkie.
Elsa Carrion
The premises was ok. but not for me.

Another third person view point. Not a fan of them. I want to know the character and I find it hard to really know them when its in this view point. I didn't feel anything for the characters, it feels like I'm reading just to read and not for fun, like reading history or policies at work. I don't like it. I normally don't delete books from my tablet but this one is going bye-bye.
It's 340 something pages long, and felt longer. The story is in four different vi
Kimberly C. Winslow
Enthralling! Horrifying and Thrilling!

This story drags you into a crazy world. Monsters are real and have taken over and you see humans brought to their knees. All they seem to care about is their own survival and have no difficulty turning on a fellow human if it could help them. It's nice to see redemption for both the humans and non humans. I didn't like what happened to the children!
Andretta Schellinger
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me awhile to get through this one, it jumps from character to character and there is and is not a good character, they all are dark, they all have issues, and they all fail or succeed in the worst ways possible. I personally enjoyed it, it was really conversation heavy, but it led to this story having strong characters and more of a personal feel.

More at fangfreakintasticreviews.com
Antronette Williams
Good

Good read. A bit confusing at times, but solid f o r most part.
Might make a good . Movie in the hands of the right director.
Victoria
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Christine Hayes
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very dark and violent, but , I am all for vengence
Caroline
May 16, 2018
Tamaika
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Satan's Gate (Extinction Survival #2)
  • Mad Love (Slateview High, #3)
  • Whitlock (The Complete 24690 series)
  • Scream for Now (The Infected Dead Book 7)
  • Immune (Dead State #4)
  • Vampire Lord: Conquering a Bloodthirsty Earth (Vampire Lord, #1)
  • After the End Trilogy: The Complete Post-Apocalyptic Box Set
  • Dustfall: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Books 1-5)
  • Invasion (Alien Invasion, #1)
  • They Came With The Snow (They Came with the Snow, Book #1)
  • Judgement: The Zombie War Chronicles - Vol. 3
  • Sanctuary (The Soldier #2)
  • Creatures (From Below #1)
  • Tempest (Weathering the Storm #1)
  • Extinction Inferno (Extinction Cycle: Dark Age #2)
  • The Crowlands
  • Breeder (Breeder, #1)
  • Write Me In Red (Color Me In: Red Duet #1)
J.L. Murray is the author of the Niki Slobodian series (Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Devil Is a Gentleman, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Devil Was an Angel, and The Devil's Backbone), The Thirteen series (Jenny Undead and Eat the Ones You Love), After the Fire, Blood Day, and the Blood of Cain series (Monstrous).

Murray is a firm believer that horror can be beautiful, and