Start by marking “Two Awesome Hours: Science-Based Strategies to Harness Your Best Time and Get Your Most Important Work Done” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Feeling overwhelmed with work and life demands? Rushing, multitasking, or relying on fancy devices and apps won't help. The answer is to create the conditions for two awesome hours of peak productivity per day.

Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience, Josh Davis, director of research at the NeuroLeadership Institute explains clearly that our brains and bodies operate according
Published May 5th 2015 by HarperOne (first published April 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Two Awesome Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Awesome Hours

Jeremy Lyon
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is one of a genre of self-help books steeped in a culture of doing more, faster, better. It's dedication to the relentless optimization of every minute in the unexamined pursuit of commerce triggers my latent inner anarchist and predisposes me to dislike it.

But I'm glad I successfully suppressed my instinct to set the book on fire. Because despite the fact that it employs all the hackneyed tropes you've seen before in books of this kind, it's key insight is a bit of finger in the eye to its
Sergei_kalinin
Очень неплохая книга о том, как получить 2 часа максимальной работоспособности в день (если оно вам надо))).

Автор предлагает 5 стратегий повышения продуктивности и штук 30 практических рекомендаций. Рекомендации довольно простые, но основаны на последних научных исследованиях (в этом плане книга - настоящий дайджест заметок из научных журналов).

Книгу рекомендую. Моя рецензия и подробная интеллект-карта по книге в блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2016/05/...
Alex Devero
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
You can harness at least two awesome hours of effectiveness every day by following five simple strategies: recognize your decision points; manage your mental energy; stop fighting distractions; leverage your mind–body connection; and make your workspace work for you. This way, you’ll provide yourself with the psychological and biological conditions you need for top performance.
Mike
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book with solid ideas for improving productivity.
Sherry Elswick
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up this book at the suggestion of a colleague. I begrudgingly gave it 3 stars. Here's why: Josh Davis is on to something in the first 1/2 of the book when he encourages you, dear gentle reader, to be intentional about your to-do list. He coaches you on the gazillion different seconds you have throughout your day to make better choices about what gets done vs. not instead of just reacting and ping ponging your way, unfettered and un-purposeful-- through the day. Great advice. For this re ...more
Bill
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some good ideas here about time management -- it's not as proscriptive as other books in this genre (you know, the ones that say "only check your email once a week"). Instead it describes how our understanding of human attention and effectiveness is changing, and how the principles of some research studies can be applied to our work life.

I've already tried some of the suggestions in the book, such as being aware of shifts in attention and decisions making, and also being more conscious about how
Gregory
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Nothing revolutionary but Josh Davis from the NeuroLeadership Institute has caused me to do something that tons of other self-help books haven't and that is to make a conscious change.

The first 69 pages made a strong enough impression that I've now posted a note so I am always reminded of the principles of decision points:

" *Savor each decision point.
*Plan your decision points in advance.
*Don't start a new task without consciously deciding it's the right one."

Good stuff!
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this for my work literary circle. Not much new here- basically the same idea of working on most important first- combined with the idea that you need to pick the right block of time to work on the most important so that you are at your best. Easier said than done with competing priorities.
Leslie Liu

Shelves: non-fiction
Mithilesh
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Roy Wang
The book's overarching advice is to be more aware of our mental and physical states and leverage them for better productivity. More specifically, the author elaborates on 5 key to-dos: recognize your decision points; manage your mental energy; stop fighting distractions; leverage your mind–body connection; and make your workspace work for you. However, I get the feeling that the entire book could have been slimmed down into a feature-length article without losing much substance. That being said, ...more
Jess
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It helps with multiple different problems including will power and time management. Loved this book and recommend for people who have issues with sugar addiction. IN FACT this book helped me curve a sugar addition that I have struggled with extremly for 15 years. For that alone this book goes above 5 stars
Rory
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The chapter on decision points will actually be helpful and has stuff I haven't heard about before, and is totes worth the current price of $2 for the Kindle version of this book.

tl;dr when you've finished a task and are deciding what to do next, take extra long and decide on the right thing to do next, don't just automatically switch to something dumb/easy and waste hours on it.
Dalila Uncovers
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful, Brief, to the Point

The author offered some very accessible tools that just about anyone can use at their desk or in their workspace. He encourages the task-oriented person to be realistically, biologically and mentally effective by working with and not against our neurology. Worth every penny. Just read it again, on a Sunday morning whim, to refresh.
Rachael
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book - it's a quick read, with five main points that are thoroughly backed up with a lot of research. I really recommend it if you want to leverage your psychology to become more effective with your time.
Didem
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Great idea in principle and I think it's worth a try: Identify the most important tasks of a day and devote a hyper-focused two hours of the day to them. Yet, a lot of the other things in the book are a bit obvious.

I am still going to give this one a try, though. Experimenting it next week.
Nery Guzman
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente

Una manera fácil y rápida de presentar tips para poder organizar 2 mejor trabajos corporativos. Un buen complemento a David Allen
Phuc Nguyen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hãy đăt ra 2h khoá cửa tập trung làm những việc cần làm.
Doreen Farrar
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly sensible advice on adding some sense of organization to the reader's work and personal life. I read it as a library book, but I may have to buy it for future reference.
Heather
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, and I recommend it for freelancers or anyone else working on their own schedule.
Hà Vân
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
mọt cuốn sách không quá đặc sắc, nhưng đủ để tiếp thêm năng lượng cho tuần mới.
Cody
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read I took a few tips from, but the book can be boiled down to five ideas/guidelines (some of which are common sense) with a bit of science and reasoning narrated behind them.
Fullfaun
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great ideas throughout the book. synopsis at the back helps
M. Thomas
A tactical book best read back to front - the key points are well summarized in the conclusion. Has the virtue of not being padded out: a short, quick read.
Mark Taylor
Some good material but could have been a long essay or article instead of a book.
Kiran Hegde
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Good book

Key points from this book,
Managing mental energy
Managing distractions
It's not working long hours and cramming more stuff but finding optimal 2 hours doing right stuff.
Thomas Knoll
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread, blink
Intuitive. But there are little surprises in there.
Donna Luu
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't waste you 2 awesome hours on this book. The "science" is mostly old studies; the rest is common sense.
David
Oct 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
There are many self help book and efficiency improvement books out in the market. This book is one of the best. No main theme, no main goal. But purely self soul searching and kill your self daily instinct to do just otherwise, instead of doing your typical email check and get interrupted by your colleague. To do just otherwise is: listening to yourself and give yourself a 2 hour daily to focus on what you can do the most. Exactly one statement can do without explaining further. I would highly r ...more
  • Success Under Stress
  • The Other 8 Hours: Maximize Your Free Time to Create New Wealth & Purpose
  • Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Dream It, Do It, Live It: 9 Easy Steps to Making Things Happen for You
  • How To Be A Productivity Ninja
  • Cognitive Psychology and its Implications
  • Zig Zag: The Surprising Path to Greater Creativity
  • The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First
  • Born to Blog: Building Your Blog for Personal and Business Success One Post at a Time
  • Номер 1. Как стать лучшим в том что ты делаешь