Start by marking “Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)” as Want to Read:
Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)

Jinx's Fire

(Jinx #3)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  940 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The young wizard Jinx concludes his suspenseful and dryly humorous adventures in the magical forest of the Urwald with this third installment in the series that ALA Booklist says “deserves a permanent place in the children’s fantasy pantheon, with Narnia and Earthsea” (Jinx's Magic, starred review). This action-packed conclusion is perfect for readers of fantasy adventure ...more
Published March 24th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Jinx's Fire, please sign up.
Ceilidh
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Brandy Painter
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I have been a big fan of Jinx and company from the very first book, which felt like such a perfect Brandy book. The conclusion of Sage Blackwood's trilogy, Jinx's Fire, finished the story beautifully and is definitely my favorite of the three.

Spoilers for first two books abound. Read those first:

Jinx

Jinx's Magic

The Urwald is in danger from more than one direction and has no hope of defending itself if there is not unity amongst the peopl
Miss Clark
Jannah (Cloud Child)
4/5
I like this book, and the series but I can't say I love it with all my being.. Possibly to do with the fact I was trying to finish it on the plane to with a husband intent on making me growl and laugh reluctantly by insisting on telling me all about physics and air and other dumb stuff (otherwise fascinating but not in a stuffy enclosed plane) because he was bored and didn't have a book to read. DON'T BOTHER ME WHEN I'M IN A BOOK DAMMIT. Lol.
Also finally finished it while severely lacking sle
Rachel Neumeier
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read all that much Middle Grade; a lot of it reads too young for me. But sometimes great charm in worldbuilding (those butter churns!) meets complex, interesting, unusual characterization and also beautiful style and then it can be magic. For me, Blackwood’s trilogy is right up there with the Middle Grade stories of Diana Wynne Jones, and I don’t say that very often.

Okay, so, I’m sure lots of you have already read the first two books, but let me see if I can do this without significant s
Bethany
Rated PG.

I loved this. I love it. It is so much like The Magic Thief series, but it is so individual and special and gripping. Everything about this series is just incredible--it's like a magical (but sensible) version of Diana Wynne Jones's books, with the special sort of dimension/world-jumping.

The thing that has always bothered me about Jones's books is that they don't always tie together. They don't make sense. They are sometimes very hazy and muddled, especially at the end--but no matter
Pop Bop
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Summon, Search, Rescue, Negotiate, Unite, Defeat, Prevail - A Tall Order for Jinx's Finale

Some wizard apprentice books are very matter of fact and the style is straightforward and almost pedantic. Some, especially for younger readers, are more fantastical and the style of the magic is a bit dreamier and vaguer, (or, they are played for laughs). Some others, even for younger readers, are written to a much higher level in terms of complexity, vocabulary, and "literary" style. "Jinx's Fire" is writ
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Jinx's Fire brings this wonderful children's fantasy series to a satisfying conclusion, tying up loose threads but avoiding a saccharine pat ending. And truly, that has been where this series has excelled: highest writing standards, interesting and complex plot, and an overall arc that is well thought out and makes great use of three books. I would compare this to Harry Potter not because it is a boy in a fantasy setting
Molly Ringle
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent series, and finishes up most satisfactorily. We read it aloud to the kids (elementary school age) at bedtime and they loved it. One even said a couple of times when we found ourselves among tall trees: "This feels like the Urwald!" Sign of a good book. :) Looking forward to Sage's next book avidly!
Tirzah
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
Is it March yet?! Update: FINALLY,March is here and gone. :)

I felt like a little kid again as I raced down the stairs the minute the doorbell rang, for I knew it was Jinx’s Fire being delivered to my doorstep! I savored the cover and investigated the chapter headings, so excited to be at long last reading Jinx’s final adventure.

I had no idea what to expect and that is one of the many elements I like about this trilogy…you never quite know where the plot is going to twist and turn. This installme
Beth
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a very good story, well told. It's also very rooted (heh) in other stories. I got Macbeth (the trees) and Harry Potter (ice like Horcruxes) as the most obvious influences, and Diana Wynne Jones in the overall messiness and multiple threads, maybe even in the slight humor. Not that DWJ corners the market on detailed, entertaining MG fantasy, but that it's impossible to separate this book from other books I've read because it doesn't feel like a wholly original beast.

I don't know that it h
Rick Stuckwisch
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous conclusion to an excellent trilogy. Really fascinating, "high fantasy" for a younger audience. Wonderfully written, with a kind of lyrical poetry on the one hand, yet breezy, easy to read, and unaffected on the other hand. Delightful characters, and an engaging story line. Gently humorous throughout, but also thoughtful and thought provoking. Well recommended.
Denae Christine
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Minor spoilers ahead.

Reader thoughts: Jinx is a bit short with people, but I am too, and so it felt more real. Many of the Urwalders are downright rude. From abandoning children in the forest to "our right to eat individuals shouldn't be infringed upon" and the rest.

The "poor ogre" ha!

The magic still wasn't well defined, but I did know everyone's limitations, and so it felt all right. The abstract "paths" turned out okay, too, but they felt too accessible. Besides, they took too long. Ice=death=
Ariel
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, fantasy, comfort
I loved all of these books so much, I'm really sad they're done and I might have to re-read them all over again. Just when you're thinking a time-honored trope like "apprentice to a magician in a dark forest" might be done to death, someone like Sage Blackwood comes along and breathes new life and insight and fun into it. Blackwood reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones, which is high praise indeed. She writes beautifully but transparently so that you're never distracted by the prose. Even the minor ch ...more
Sean Williams
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Jinx's Fire so much I went back to book one and read the entire series again, including book three. Haven't done anything like that since I was a wee lad. Such great, unflinching characters and a such a warm, good-natured voice. Also, although not a comedy, I haven't laughed so much for ages. In delight, mainly. Do yourself a favour and give these wonderful books a try.

PS. I am having out for a sequel series staring Gertrude and small Silas!
E.L.
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-for-2015
I tore through this in one day because I was so anxious/eager to find out what was going to happen. And then when I did, I was sad, because now the story is done. Done most satisfyingly, yes, but done. It's a good thing I'm as avid a re-reader as I am reader. That means I can revisit Jinx &co as often as I want. And I foresee that I will indeed want to, many times. This is one of my favorite MG trilogies ever.
Philip Le
In the final installment of the Jinx series, the Urwald is in a terrible state. Three different nations are approaching from all sides, with the goal of taking over the forest. Now, Jinx must take the responsibility of taking leadership of the survivors. He must also befriend the other non-human inhabitants of the Urwald. Now he must also protect the remaining inhabitants, push back the advancing armies, find a way to save Simon, and defeat the Bonemaster. But no pressure or anything right?
April Franklin
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't sure if I'd like this one as much as the previous installments, because there were so many plot threads and it jumped around. But then a little ways into the story it all came together very nicely and it was a great conclusion to the story! I can't say much about why, not without putting too many spoilers out there, but it was at turns funny and poignant and magical, and I really enjoyed it!
Rosandra
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a well-written trilogy, with rich characters and an engrossing plot. I just hate that this is the end of reading about Jinx and the Urwald. If my thoughts could be seen they would be steel gray clouds with flashes of lightning.
Jacob
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-read-books
I think this is a good book for people who like it fantasy books. If you are going to read this I would recommend reading the first 2 first to know what is happening. It is a good book filled with excitement.
Kenzi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, magical, and thoroughly satisfying end to the Jinx series!! My only complaint is that it ended. Witty, humorous, darkly magical, and filled with twists at every turn--this series has a permanent place in my heart!
Adi
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2016
A wonderful, magical, levitating ride!
Melissa
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A throughly satisfying ending.
katayoun Masoodi
the whole series was great, loved all three books
Randy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last book (sadly) in the Jinx trilogy finds Jinx busy trying to protect the physical, collective, and magical essences of The Urwald from predatory wizards and invading armies.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate Jinx as a flawed hero. He says the wrong things, gets irritated and impatient, and is altogether completely believable as a teenager under enormous pressure. I loved reading these books to my son as an example of what can really happen to your emotions when you're under stress a
Diana
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good!!! This whole series has been so immersive and wonderful. The dialogue and perspective and voice hits just right, no stiffness or awkwardness or trying to be something it’s not. It all feels very authentic, and it’s refreshing. This third book is dedicated to all of the things that need resolution, it’s not one of those books where too many things are hastily—and poorly—“taken care of”. All of the things we’re worried about and care about and which were opened up in the first book and mo ...more
Angela
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
"If this was a story that was coming to an end, then my curse would be magically fixed because everything would have to come out exactly right for everybody. But real life isn't like that, and sometimes you just live with things."

The final installment of Jinx got a little weird and difficult to follow. Still, I love the Urwald with its witches, wizards, elves, werewolves, and trees all living together in functional disharmony. I hope more books are written in this beautifully crafted world.
Hannah Belyea
War is coming to the Urwald, and Jinx must balance leading the people and creatures that live within its boundaries to battle while trying to rescue Simon from the clutches of the Bonemaster and getting three separate armies to end their massacre of the trees - before the trees force him to retaliate. Blackwood brings this exciting trilogy to a close with fun magic and engaging dilemmas that will give fans plenty of gasps and awes. Trees, trolls, werewolves, witches and wizards - can even the po ...more
Charlie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christ-specfic
We finished this book and the series tonight.
There are two main objectives in this story, and I personally felt that one objective ended rather early in this book, and then the denouement was c few chapters too long as well. The story ends and it is satisfying, but the back half of this book felt like there was not much story left, so the author had to make it stretch out. Like "Butter scraped across too much bread".
Still, satisfying and well done overall.
J.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Yami
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
surrounded by a bubble of warm green and blue...

I LOVED IT, though it was a little bit of something to get used to the narrating, and the crazy mind spinning dialogues, yet I got it, and actually enjoyed every bit of it, this is HOW fantasy is, I really wish they can adopt it into one of Ghibli's movies, it is that kind of story... whispers " full of magic"
  • Home (Magic Thief, #4)
  • The Whispering Trees (The Thickety #2)
  • The Terror of the Southlands (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #2)
  • Archie Greene and the Magician’s Secret
  • The Wrinkled Crown
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Forest of Wonders (Wing & Claw #1)
  • Baker's Magic
  • Reiyalindis
  • Bamboozled
  • Of Enemies and Endings (The Ever Afters #4)
  • Ferals (Ferals, #1)
  • Krakens and Lies (Menagerie #3)
  • The Chosen Prince
  • The Brixen Witch
  • Alexander and the Magic Mouse
  • A Sliver of Stardust (A Sliver of Stardust, #1)
  • Watch Out, Hollywood!: More Confessions of a So-called Middle Child

Jinx (3 books)
  • Jinx (Jinx #1)
  • Jinx's Magic (Jinx #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“He said knowledge should be free to everyone," said Satya defiantly. "That's what we believe."
"Just because someone believes the same thing you do doesn't mean they're a good person," said Elfwyn.”
1 likes
“If this was a story that was coming to an end, then my curse would be magically fixed because everyting would have to come out exactly right for everybody. But real life isn't like that, and sometimes you just live with things.” 0 likes