Start by marking “Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)” as Want to Read:
Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)

Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)

There are many things you should never, ever, ever do.

Like sit next to a porcupine on the subway (ouch!). Or hold hands with a lobster (double ouch!). Or take a shark to the dentist (triple ouch!).

Bestselling author JUDI BARRETT and imaginative illustrator JOHN NICKLE give us a raucous look at the perils of taking giraffes to the movies, goats to the library, and pigs
Published March 4th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Never Take a Shark to the Dentist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Take a Shark to the Dentist

Stephanie  Weatherly
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I am not sure my kids totally understand why this book is so funny, they always choose to read it at night. They love the page with the giraffe at the movies and the ants at the picnic.
Remya
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
My three year old had a hard time figuring out the funny side of the book.may be it is for the older kids!
Kat Harrison
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the author of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" comes "Never Take a Shark to the Dentist". The sparse text is witty on its own two feet, but really comes to life with John Nickle's incredibly nuanced art. The illustrations are as detailed and vibrant as animated movie stills - and chock full of funny. A great book for animal lovers or kiddos that ponder, "What if?" to some of life's silliest quandaries.
Nicola
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

This was a random picture book that I chose. I didn't like it. I didn't like the repetitive 'never' through the book or the message that gives and Miss 3 ASD didn't understand the humour.
Kristin Nelson
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing and its sequel were much better books. This book lets the illustrations show the reasons but I miss the words Judi Barrett chose to explain the situations in the other books. The giraffe at the movies page is pretty neat though!
Marissa Ellis
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-fantasy
I gave this book five stars because it is one of those books that makes you think bigger. As you are reading through you feel like you have no clue what could possibly be on the next page, and when you see what it is a feeling of "duh, I totally should have thought of that" washes over you. This happens throughout the whole book which is fun.

Six+1: Ideas

Guided Reading: I
Lexile: 430
Mikaela Fu
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This book is a fun book about taking the shark to do things. It could possibly help ease some of the kids nerves when doing things like going to the dentist.

Lexile Measures- AD430L
Guided Reading- I

Six Traits plus One-Presentation, Word Choice and Sentence Fluency
Laura Aldridge
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Some humorous illustrations and scenarios. But I’m really struggling to understand the point of this book. Basically focuses on all the negative aspects of various animals and then one that you can exploit for your own benefit?

Nah. Skip this one.
Nancy
Can't wait to write with kids after reading this. (All the "answers" are in the illustrations. I am wondering if we'll be able to write without them, or if we'll feel the need to say, "because you will be crushed/hurt/ruined" etc. -- and if that will matter.)
Joey Starr
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I thought this book was hilarious. I am not sure how I would use this in a lesson for a class but I would definitely just have it around for a free read. I thought the images are what made this story. Combining these illustrations with few amount of words allowed for the story to be told through images more than words.

Guided reading: I
Advice for the young!
Emma Horn
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The creative structure of this book, illustration, and repetition helps young readers follow along and anticipate the words on the pages. The structure of this book would be great for students to copy in their own writing.

Organization
Sentence Fluency

LEXILE: AD290L
ATOS: N/A
Michelle
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Very clever! Anything involving a shark is something I love.
Tracy Morton
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book tells the children all kinds of things that you should not do with different kinds of animals. It has very little text. I am not sure if a very young audience would get it though.
R. G. Nairam
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Some pages of this were way funnier than others.
Sonja
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved this book! Made me laugh! Cute illustrations! I agree with all that is said!
Mirko Liang
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nice
Shannon
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is just ok. The illustrations are cute, and it's short enough that it will probably hold a child's attention.
Liz
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Not great for reading out loud--better for reading alone.
Amy Forrester
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this hilarious book readers are cautioned that there are some things you just shouldn’t do, such as going shoe shopping with a centipede or holding hands with a lobster. It’s also a bad idea to sit next to a porcupine on the subway or invite an ant to a picnic. After the list of “Nevers,” the readers are left with one “Always.” “Always go shopping with a pelican.”

The book establishes a formula that builds up to the “Always” twist on the very last page. Each two page spread features one line o
Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with silly situations. It must be presented so that the students can see the pictures in order for the words to be understood. Each page is a “never take a …” animal and situation given with a cleverly illustrated picture for effect. One page is “never take a raccoon to the bank” with all of the customers holding their hands in the air because they think the raccoon is a robber. Another situation is “never take a giraffe to the movies” with the neck of the giraffe blocking th ...more
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=5912

The combination of Judi Barrett’s humorous DO NOTs and John Nickle’s fantastic illustrations, this book just cracked me up! It is not only a perfect read aloud to suck students in, it is definitely a book that can be used in the classroom. First, each instance has something not to do (Never take a shark to the dentist) with cartoony illustrations, but doesn’t elaborate after that. What would happen? Why wouldn’t you ____? A great cause and
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Aaron
Author: Judi Barrett Illustrator: John Nickle
Genre: Fantasy
Interest Level: PreK-3
Grade Level Equivalent: N/A

Replete with comical images of animals and insects displaying anthropomorphism, this short book is sure bring a smile to children's faces. With the exception of the final pages, each example is described with a single sentence beginning with the word "Never," so repetition is certainly a key component. Many sight words are used in the simple sentences, so it woud be a good go
Megan (ReadingRover)
I wasn't too impressed by this book. It was all about animals and what you shouldn't do with them. You shouldn't sit next to a porcupine on the subway or bring a giraffe to the movies. It was really just a bunch of statements that were meant to be funny but they weren't because that's all they were just statements. There weren't any funny explanations why. Also the illustrations were of a bunch of annoyed animals. Nothing hysterically funny. The illustrations themselves were bright and bold but ...more
Lindsey
This is a great book for young readers. It is something that they will find absolutely hilarious as the book list "things not to do" and leaves them with one thing that they should do. It would fun to branch off of this book and have students come up with their own "never" or "always" and have them illustrate it.
Christy
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a very cute book! It tells about all the things you shouldn't do!!!! The illustrations are great. I smiled all the way through the story. My favortite part was at the end when the author says BUT... ALways go shopping with a peligan-illustrations show pelican holding all of the new toys in its mouth.
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
While I was fairly entertained by this book, it wasn't one that I would want to read over and over again. Most of the lines were amusing and the illustrations were comical, but I just wasn't that in to it. I might recommend in the future.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Sara ♥
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2010
This was a cute little book I read at the library today... It had funny stories about things you shouldn't do with particular animals. My favorite was probably "Never see a movie with a giraffe."... The page unfolded upwards, showing the giraffe's neck extending way way up, blocking part of the projector, with its head sticking out of the building through a hole in the roof... SO funny!
Mary
This is a book about things that one should never do…it’s a great way for kids to talk about different animals and why it would be less than ideal to do the things that the book suggests. The pictures are brilliant to go along with the text, and it inspires a good deal of critical thinking.
It would be a good book to read aloud to children.
Rebecca Ann
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bahahahah. This was cute and funny, sure to be a hit at storytime. The illustrations are rich, bright, and semi-relaistic. Each page is a joke telling you what not to do with a certain animal. The ending has a slight twist. Perfect for early elementary, you can ask the group "why not?" after each picture.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Madam President
  • Surfer Chick
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • Dogs
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • A Kitten Tale
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!