Start by marking “Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft” as Want to Read:
Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft

Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."

At the time of his death in 1937, American horror writer H.P. Lovecraft was virtually unknown. The power of his stories was too great to contain, however. As the decades slipped by, his dark visions laid down roots in the collective imagination of mankind, and they grew strong. Now Cthulhu
Published August 26th 2014 by Ghostwoods Books (first published August 19th 2014)

Salomé Jones We're considering doing another Lovecraftian anthology, but it really depends on how well this one does. So far, so good though! Amended: It looks lik…moreWe're considering doing another Lovecraftian anthology, but it really depends on how well this one does. So far, so good though! Amended: It looks like we'll do another anthology in autumn 2015 called Cthulhu Lies Dreaming. N.B. There is another volume now, out in February 2016. (less)

Start your review of Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies, horror
It is not easy to rate an anthology. There is always that one story or two or three that don't work for you. Sometimes, though, you get very lucky and you get something like Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft. I don't think I've ever read any of these authors before.

Of course I didn't love every story but in the end the anthology delivers what the title promises and more. Some stories will even make you root for the non-humans.
It was fun recognizing the origins of stories. Th
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
There is a lot to love about this collection of Lovecraft tales. Many anthologies are very uneven, but not this one. Every story is strong. Every story is on point with what the anthology is trying to do. There don’t seem to be any submissions that were accepted to add bulk to the volume.

I appreciate the way all of the stories are thematically Lovecraftian, but avoid repeating Lovecraft’s work after him. Mythos lovers will know what I’m talking about here. There’s only so many mythos tales you
Colleen
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oooh, I can give this a Queen Victoria tag, since she does feature heavily in one short story (1884) in this follow up to Cthulhu Lies Dreaming: Twenty-three Tales of the Weird and Cosmic. 17 Lovecraftian stories in this one, much like the first collection, with several strong entries. None I disliked and with over half by non-US writers, refreshingly different than most horror fare. Very fast read and I'll be definitely keeping an eye on future anthologies by this editor. ...more
Isabel (kittiwake)
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt-er
I received a free copy of this book in return for a review, via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

“I’ll go and get someone.” She stood, backed away. Glay made no move to follow her, sat there staring at his scarlet threads, looking lost in the corner of his web, connected to the walls of the office by lines of gossamer. Spider or fly? she thought.
“It won’t help,” he said.
“What won’t help?”
“We’re moving away. The planets are spinning and the stars are moving and we’re moving too, farther
Michael
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers, where half-stars are available and I gave this book 3.5 stars.

I've been reading Lovecraft for 40 years, so I'm probably about to qualify as one of the Old Ones myself. While there's nothing here to touch the master at his best, nonetheless there are some very enjoyable stories in Cthulhu Lives!.

The Book Description says that we have here "Seventeen cosmic horror stories with a modern sensibility," which was not, to my mind, a good sign. T
Colin Speirs
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I was given an uncorrected proof to review by the editor. There were no conditions placed on the review.

It is a good time to be around if you like the Cthulhu Mythos. Perhaps too good as everything seems to get a Cthulhoid twist. I am almost expecting Cthulhu Disney Pricesses (and I bet if I Google that I will get some hits on that, in a pulp horror version of Rule 34)s.

The Mythos is not really a unified logical whole, no matter the efforts of August Derleth to impose one, but some t
Nicholas
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really solid collection of Mythos-based short stories. I think Lovecraft would approve. So if you're a fan of Lovecraftian/Mythos fiction, pick it up and give it a read. You won't be displeased.
Adrian Gosling
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Definite must read for those who love occult stories and/or H P Lovecraft
Janet
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of stories, bringing new twists to the Mythos, an excellent addition to any book collection, it's worth the sanity loss.
Tim
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stories were very much in the vein of Lovecraft. Several were very good, some were passable, all told it was enjoyable.
Mark
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Cthulhu Lives!
Author: Tim Dedopulos, John reppion, Greg Stolze, Lynne Hardy, Gabor Csigas, Gethin A. Lynes, E. Dane Anderson, Piers Beckley, Joff Brown, Jeremy Clymer, Helmer Gorman, Michael Grey, G. K. Lomax, Iain Lowson, Marc Reichardt, Peter Tuper, Adam Yidler
Publisher: Ghostwoods Books
Published In: London, United Kingdom
Date: 2014
Pgs: 275

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Cthulhu lives...is dead...is rising...comes again...is dead. Lovecraft’s elder dead monster god finds expression through
Mike Dominic
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A highly enjoyable collection of Mythos-related stories that generally eschew pastiche in favor of exploring original territory. I found the stories well grounded with relatable entry points. This would be an excellent collection for beginning readers of Lovecraftian fiction.
Marco
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good collection of Lovecraft-inspired short fiction.
David Dubrow
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
With a foreword by Leeman Kessler of “Ask Lovecraft” fame and an afterword by noted Lovecraft scholar S.T. Joshi, the short story anthology Cthulhu Lives! drags the Cthulhu Mythos flopping and gibbering into the 21st Century, making it relevant to today’s technological culture. Across the board the stories are of fairly high quality, with a number of stand-outs and a few that did more to elicit a trip to the Dreamlands than the insane asylum. Some of the highlights include:

Universal Constants by
David Leingang
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This review from UnspeakableGibberer.com

17 very unique tales are what make up this collection. Some better than others, and others way better than some, the satisfying content this book has to offer is evenly distributed throughout. None of the tales are too long, the longest being 18 or so pages, allowing for easy digestible reads.

There are a few authors in this collection, one of them G.K. Lomax, who are emerging authors into both the writing scene and the Lovecraftian scene. Upon my initial i
Mouldy Squid
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hard core Lovecraft fans
Shelves: horror
An uneven collection of modern Lovecraftian tales. While a few of the stories included in this anthology ("Highland Air", "The Thing in the Printer", "1884" and "On the Banks of the River Jordan") most miss the mark. Particularly missing is the Lovecraftian cosmicism. For a collection of Lovecraftian stories, cosmicism is a prerequisite. Only the best of the collection is worthy.

If you can find a copy used or for a discounted price, pick it up for those particular stories mentioned above, other
Robin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Mostly good, and definitely worth a read for fans of this subgenre, but it's only fair to warn you that there's an epistolary entry and one that is in the form of a play. No thanks!
Heather
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full review forthcoming
Olof
Dec 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Useless. Not a single story I liked. And I don't even feel like arguing about it. Don't bother with this book!
Christopher Buchanan
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful homage to Lovecraft. Solidly creepy and often quite unsettling. I liked every story in this collection.
Richard Marks
Charles K. MacKay
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page number 2 16 Mar 16, 2015 10:58PM

• Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Mitología China
  • The Undead: Part 1
  • The Undead: Part 2
  • Three Miles Past
  • Alien Stars (Harry Stubbs #3)
  • The Wicked
  • Master of Chaos (Harry Stubbs #4)
  • Ashes
  • The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
  • The Undead: Part 3
  • Broken Meats (Harry Stubbs #2)
  • Release
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Autumn Cthulhu
Salomé Jones lives in London with her husband and two adorable cats, Chilly and Thena. They are planning to live happily ever after.

News & Interviews