Start by marking “Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care (Green This, #2)” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care (Green This, #2)

Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care (Green This #2)

The essential, parent-friendly guide to raising a healthy child in our increasingly toxic environment.

The second volume in the New York Times bestselling Green This! series, Growing Up Green: Baby and Child Care is a complete guide to raising healthy kids. Environmental activist and children's advocate Deirdre Imus addresses specific issues faced by children in every a

Published April 15th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care

Sally
Mar 22, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok
Just flipped through this highly anticipated follow-up to Greening Your Cleaning. Already highly disappointed. She's actually suggesting that organic baby formula in a glass baby bottle might be safer and superior to "contaminated" breastmilk. Then she refers mothers who might still choose the frightening avenue of breastfeeding in today's polluted world to La Leche League. If she had read anything about toxins and breastmilk by LLL, she would have learned that even mothers with serious concerns ...more
Monica
Apr 19, 2008 Monica rated it did not like it
i don't even know if i want to give this book 1 star!
Hilary Roberts
Aug 08, 2013 Hilary Roberts rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This book was a real eye opener! It went through various stages of life (pregnancy, newborn, teens, etc.) and talked about potential health risks in things a baby/child would be exposed to. It gave great ideas for what to use to help your family be healthier with everything from mattresses, to cleaning chemicals, to food.

I noticed the book has a low rating and have been wondering why. I decided maybe it was because it seems like everyone is doing just fine with how things are, so why change thi
Erica
Aug 09, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jessica Diede
I found this book in the bargain bin at the book store. Best bargain I ever received. Although at times I felt very overwhelmed with all the suggestions, it was a good book. This book is a great reference book if you are looking to clean up your life from pesticides. It mostly centers around raising children to be green and make healthy choices, but even if you don't have children it is a good book. I also liked that the author gives you websites and books for more information. I hate reading a ...more
Heidi Thorsen
The author points out a lot of "dangers" in our homes and environment that I think are ridiculous, but they were mixed in with what I consider reasonable suggestions to lower the amount of toxins and other unnatural products in our lives. She lists many useful resources for organic / non-toxic cleaning agents, children's clothes, toys, and furniture. I thought the book had enough useful information to warrant reading it, but I had to take a lot of the information presented with a grain of salt.
Gail
Nov 02, 2010 Gail rated it liked it
Great high-level overview of greening your home, food and thinking. On of the reviews references formula over breast milk:

"less than 1 star. Formula better than "contaminated breastmilk"? no fish, ever? give me a break. most of what she recommends is not feasible nor is it presented with evidence."

I did not see this anywhere but I may have skipped over it as we are way past that stage. As with any book use your best judgement with any change you choose for your household.
Dorrie Thomas
Sep 19, 2008 Dorrie Thomas rated it liked it
OK, like reading a text book, so not thrilling...but good information...definitely overwhelming and sometimes irritating (does she realize we don't all have household incomes of millions of dollars?)...had to read it in short spurts...but also felt strongly about reading it, to bring the new baby into the safest possible environment!
April
Nov 28, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
This book is very well-written. You can tell that Deirdre has done her research and is passionate about the topic. She's got a lot of great ideas that I would love to implement into my life. I also appreciate that she is aware that living healthier costs more, and so throughout the book she gives ways that you can save money while still staying healthy.
Kylin Larsson
Jul 18, 2009 Kylin Larsson rated it liked it
This book has lots of useful information but you have to be careful not to let it make you paranoid. There are so many scary toxins in our environment and there is only so much we can do about them. I wanted the book to be briefer and more action-oriented, though I'm sure others appreciate the deluge of facts that show the writers did their research.
Jennifer Kyrnin
Apr 05, 2011 Jennifer Kyrnin rated it liked it
Shelves: swap
This is a fairly comprehensive book for how small it is. If you're already practicing green living, then a lot of the suggestions are not huge surprises. I found nothing particularly earth shattering in this book, but it was a good reassurance for a new mom wanting to raise a green child.
Jen
Mar 24, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: already-read, baby
I'd really only give this 1-1/2 stars, but I rounded up. I felt the book was extremely preachy, and that the author was over-the-top in some of her recommendations and advice. That said, I did pick up a few tips and products I intend to try.
Rose
Feb 20, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: unfinished
Zero stars. Took this back to the library a couple days after I checked it out because the advice I gathered from skimming some of it was so bad. I was particularly unhappy that much of it was an advertisement for the Imus' green household products.
Jessica Daly
I needed more time with this book. I would buy it rather than borrow from the library. To make a lifestyle change, I need to reference the book often.
Kimberly Polichak
Jul 06, 2015 Kimberly Polichak rated it liked it
I enjoyed what she had to say about greening one's home and learning more about their ranch... Informative
Jessica
Jul 10, 2008 Jessica rated it did not like it
Anna West
May 14, 2008 Anna West rated it it was ok
Mom gave it to me, thought it was all pretty obvious and not helpful. Might be helpful to people who don't live in ultra liberal progressive communities.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2010
Merna
Merna rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Green Queen
Green Queen rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Shawna Millard
Shawna Millard rated it liked it
May 12, 2011
susan
susan rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Kait Wallace
Kait Wallace rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2009
Andrea Newman
Andrea Newman rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
May 18, 2009
Katherine C Clayton
Katherine C Clayton rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deirdre Imus is the Founder and President of The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology® at Hackensack University Medical Center and Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Imus Cattle Ranch for Kids with Cancer. Deirdre is the author of two New York Times bestsellers -- the newest book in the Green This! series, Growing Up Green, Baby and Child Care; a practical family guide to raisin ...more
More about Deirdre Imus...

Green This (3 books)
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • The Essential Green You! (Green This, #3)