Start by marking “Madly, Deeply” as Want to Read:

Madly, Deeply

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea...

Annaleigh Wells and William Calloway had a love even the angels envied. It was as if the universe spun them toward one another, like the stars crafted their souls to fit perfectly together.

With a wedding on the horizon, fate had a change of heart. Whispered warnings from phantoms and morbid nightmares darkened every
Published June 17th 2014 by Patchwork Press (first published June 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Madly, Deeply, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madly, Deeply

Jo
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book about loss and grief. It is a beautifully written tribute to the power of love. William loses his other half on their wedding night. It really made me think about losing my husband, my better half, and I realize that even though we have been married for 21 years, it is not enough. William's grief touched me, made me cry, and made me appreciate that love should not be taken for granted. The book took Poe's poem of Annabel Lee and added aspects of the supernatural. It imagined the w ...more
Kristen Cansler
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for Edgar Allan Poe. He's someone who will always be at the top of my favorites list. Every time I hear about someone writing a story inspired by Annabel Lee, I get really excited. If they can capture the essence of the poem without losing their own voice, I'm a happy camper. And that's exactly what Erica Crouch did with Madly, Deeply.

Poe's voice is not lost with Madly, Deeply. His impression on the story is still seen in Erica Crouch's haunting retelling. The essence of his dark,
Summer
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This was actually better than expected. I feel like a lot was accomplished in a relatively short book, and the ending was definitely bold. A bit too emo and dark for my taste, and the writing was somewhat iffy at times, but an enjoyable read overall. Poe fans would love this romantic take on the poem it was based off of.
Kuroi
Rating - 2/2.5 stars.

Some loves are not meant to be. Or they are, but not in the way you think.

This is a difficult read for me to rate because this is a strange book that is about nothing and everything. It is heavily philosophical and the story is merely a vehicle for the theme, so much so that initially I was wondering if there would be a plot. The essence is life and fate, whether death is the end and most importantly for me, about moving on after loss. It is a very rare YA book that takes up
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love Erica’s writing. I don’t know how many times I have said that, and I’ll probably say it numerous times into the future, but I do. I freaking love it. I love the metaphors and the prose and the feel. I always find myself catching my breath at the beauty of her words. Which is why she is hands down one of my favourite authors.

I really liked Madly, Deeply. I loved that it was inspired by Poe, and that it truly k
Leonor (Ner)
Also published in "A Cup of Coffee and a Book"

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Madly, Deeply touched a nerve, moving me in a deep way I can only say that I finished this book crying. Not only because it is a sad story, but because Erica Crouch’s way of describing profound and raw emotions is so beautiful you can’t really help yourself.

This book is based on Edgar Allan Poe’s poem Annabel Lee. It follows Annaleigh Wells and William Callo
Elisa
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*

You can also find this review on my blog Lii's Adventures in Bookland

Once again Erica Crouch presents us with a truly magnificent piece of work. This book was so good that it got me thinking about it for days after I finished it.

When you get into this book you cannot help but falling in love with its characters especially with Annaleigh. She's a sweet and intelligent girl that could make any man fall in love
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews.

I have never felt so compelled to write a review in form of a poem as I am right now. I LOVED THIS STORY TO BITS. Without further ado, here is my [totally horrendous] attempt at a poem review:

It was many and many weeks ago,
In a house in the Caribbean sea,
That a girl picked up a book to read,
By the name of Madly Deeply;
This girl lived by no other thought
Than to read and love what she sees

Thus is the story of William and Annaleigh,
Two lovers who loved deeply,
They
Dana Cuadrado
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Full review on my blog danasquare.blogspot.com and I received a copy of this book for review*
I don't think I can fully express in words how much I love this story, it just isn't possible. I haven't cried this much while reading a book in a long time. This is also a really short book which makes the amount of tears that fell on my e-reader even more astonishing.

Madly, Deeply by Erica Crouch is a retelling of Edgar Allen Poe's poem Annabel Lee. Annabelle Lee is one of my favorite poems. I knew g
Sasha Hibbs
* I received this novel from Patchwork Press in exchange for an honest review *

Madly, Deeply, moved me much in the same way as the title implies. This rich sweeping saga reminded me of a classic Victorian Goth romance where love, life, and death can all come together and transcend through time, making our couple's love eternal.

Annaleigh Wells and William Calloway are the doomed lovers. Ms. Crouch did an incredible job of writing their love story. It was compelling, intriguing, and beautifully w
EndlessReading
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW

This was a great story.

This is my first time reading this writers work, and she did a fab job, I'll be making sure to read more of them.

Madly, Deeply tells the story of Annaleigh (Anna) and William, these two childhood sweethearts whose love is emotional, moving, and doomed from the very beginning.

These twos love is so strong not even Heaven's Angels could tear them apart.

It was spine chilling despite it not having the HEA were so hoping for.

Based on the poem The Annabel Lee by Poe, Erica ha
Jordan
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it

Retellings are always difficult but when you take something as iconic as Edgar Allen Poe’s Annabel Lee it’s going to be hard to improve on something so beautiful or even do it justice. Erica Crouch perfectly captured the haunting, lyrical yearning and sorrow of Poe’s poem. You feel every ache and pain, it cuts like a knife straight through the heart, leaving behind a residual sting. A harrowing, tragic love story, Madly, Deeply asks questions about how pow
K Y L A
The characters were pretty good and all of them are interesting. They're flawed and that's why they seemed realistic for me. Everything else was just amazing!

From the beginning until the ending there's only one word in my mind and that word is, WOW. Madly, Deeply is such a great book and it was worth reading. Hands down to Erica Crouch!

(Full review will be posted on my blog, Book Buddies PH.)
Kayla D
A free digital copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Patchwork Press and Erica!

Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe is my number one favorite poem. Its lyrical lines, bittersweet story and vivid imagery makes it one of the most memorable and unforgettable poems that I have ever read. When I saw that Erica Crouch, an author with a beautiful writing style, had written a story based upon the poem, I knew that I couldn’t pass it up.

Madly, Deeply invol
Esther ✨
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This review can be found on A Reading Addiction! Honest YA book reviews :) Also on Netgalley.

*My copy was kindly provided by Patchwork Press via Netgalley in exchange for a review! (Thank you!)*

What first attracted me to Madly, Deeply is that it is inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's poem Annabel Lee, a poem which I have always loved. It struck me as a really amazing idea to write a novel based on a such a vivid, dark poem and I couldn't wait to get stuck in and see how Erica Crouch would weave the th
Ashley Ferguson
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

I don't know why I thought that a book that was a retelling of Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee would do anything except make me cry ugly tears all night long. I've been excited to read this book since Erica announced it, mostly because I loved her Ignite books and I love retellings, but I seriously should have known better. Annabel Lee is so full of heartbreak and Erica's story remained true to the original while still maintaining a fresh new
christine danielle (Bibliophilic Madness)
Full review posted on my Blog:

photo poom_zpsf238ea21.jpg

Cover: 3
Plot: 5
Characters: 5

Overall Rating: 5

description

This was such a gorgeous heartbreaking book.

You have filled my yesterdays with so much hope and love that every today feels like magic. I want to spend tomorrow with you. I want to spend every tomorrow for the rest of my life, and whatever life comes after this, loving you. I want the angels to watch us with envy, to dream that they might one day understand another as much as you do me and I you.

Whenever I
Jenea Whittington
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Hearts...

This is based on a poem by Edgar Allen Poe, and is one that remember reading in high school and I loved it. So, there was no doubt in my mind that I needed to read Madly, Deeply. This follows two lovers, Annaleigh and William. They have decided to get married, but it doesn’t work out like they planned. Neither of them know that Mary, Williams sister, has been hiding that she has visions of events before they happen. She has seen something that can tragically change the future for An
The Twins Read
When I saw Madly, Deeply on NetGalley, I didn't know what I was getting into. The cover was lovely, the blurb even more so, and my expectations were spiraling upwards faster than I can scream, "Stop, it could be a TRAP!!!" as lots of books with gorgeous covers and equally arresting blurbs are wont to do. But before I knew it, the green button touted the words PENDING, and my request was sent. Fast forward a few days, and a copy pops up on my dashboard. And because I want to prolong the delicious ...more
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review here: http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com...

When I received this book for review, I was really excited. I am a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe and specially his poem, Annabel Lee. And this book is a retelling of the poem, so this was definitely a plus.
Annaleigh and William had a love that went beyond all reason. It was as if they couldn't be without each other, in life and in death. But fate had different plans for them and it all started on their wedding day.
This book is an eerie, dark
Saruuh Kelsey
((3.5 stars))

Madly, Deeply tells the story of Annaleigh and William, childhood sweethearts whose love is emotional, moving, and doomed. It's based on Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe and is as eerie and wondrously gothic as you'd expect.

I loved the atmosphere and the anticipatory tension Erica Crouch set up, how it built and built, the sense that something was very wrong. There's a great unease in this book, and it was that, coupled with the aching loveliness of the romance and the lyrical quality
Bailey Riddle
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley to review. All opinions below are completely mine.

Madly, Deeply is not your traditional love story.

Anna and Will are, well, madly, deeply in love with one another. Theirs is a love so perfect that it almost made me want to hurl. But not in a bad way, if that makes any kind of sense (it probably doesn't). And while their love for one another may be perfect, the other aspects of their lives are anything but. Both characters experience hardships in thei
Lori
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Review is based on the story and the narration not the quality of the Audiobook.

Based off the poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe

Erica Crouch has succeeded beautifully in giving each stanza in the poem a back story.

Well written story with a few little twists told in a beautiful but sad and haunting way. You know how the story will end if you are familiar with the poem. Even though you know it's not an HEA story it is an enjoyable, entertaining and heartbreaking listen.

The story is written in a
Keeley
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It had just enough of a paranormal twist to make another love story enjoyable.

Annaleigh fell in love with William when they were children. Everyone knew they were destined to be together. So when he broke his promise to his sister Mary and proposed to Annaleigh before Christmas, no one was that surprised.

In a hurry to start their lives together Annaleigh and William moved their wedding up from the summer to the beginning of February. They decided to get married rig
Rosie Arteaga
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel from Patchwork Press (and I cannot be thankful enough)

I am eternally grateful to have received this because it was so beautiful, it is definitely in my top 5 books of this year, currently.

The premise is what drew me to this book, Annabel Lee is my favorite poem by Poe. I am enamored with the way this novel turned out, it was a just a masterpiece. The words that come to my mind to describe this is beautiful, elegant, just perfect. The characters, Annaleigh and William, real
Rachel Valentine
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Madly, Deeply by Erica Crouch

Annaleigh and William are very much in love. The two of them believe that their relationship is perfect and their family agrees with them for the most part, so they are very happy when the two of them announce that they are going to get married. However, even tragic things can happen to the best of couples and the two of them soon find out that this is the same for them.

My favorite character in this was probably William's little sister. I found her power to be intere
Alicia
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely beautiful but haunting as well. It’s an excellent story of love and loss but not a happy one. The characters were so easy to fall in love with and the writing was descriptive and expressive. This was one of those books that said all the right things. Bonus points for giving me the same feels as Edgar Allan Poe’s “Annabel Lee.” Would I read more by this author? Yes. Would I recommend this book to others? Yes.

See the full review on my website, Awesome Book Assessment.
Catherine Hilgartner
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I try to throw in a few romances into my year and this was one recommended by a friend. Although the paranormal aspect is not usually to my liking, I found I quite enjoyed this book. Perhaps it's because of my love of Poe, as the story line was based on Poe's classic poem, Annabelle Lee. And, much to my delight, there were other Poe references throughout the book.
I found it interesting that such a young author would have such an acute understanding of grief and the depression that often accompa
JG
Haunting and poignant. The gothic theme clearly translates well in this story by Erica Crouch which in itself speaks highly of the author's talent. Although one can predict where the story is headed, the intricate way that the build up was done was enough to get the readers attention and keep it. A love story worth reading.

*ARC provided by the Publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review*
LPJ
Jun 06, 2014 marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: netgalley
I made it to 10%. After the first chapter I knew it wasn't going well, but I was determined to at least make it to chapter 3. However, after pages and pages of no conflict or tension (aside from knowing the original poem) I had to give up when we got to the flashback within a flashback in the midst of extended expository infodump. Such a shame - it's an interesting concept.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Resilient
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Demimonde, #3)
  • Rook (Timeless Games, #1)
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness, #1)
  • Gone Wild
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
  • Doctor Who: Devil in the Smoke
  • Darkness Rising (Legends of Marithia, #2)
  • Ask Me
  • Mara (Unusuals, #1)
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • Isaura (Aberrant, #3)
  • Devil's Due (Red Letter Days, #2)
  • The Healer (The Witch Hunter, #0.5)
Erica Crouch is a fiction writer and genre hopper. She has co-founded two publishing collectives, Patchwork Press and Weapenry, and has produced nine novels and two screenplays. Originally from Ellicott City, Erica has since moved into the heart of Annapolis, Maryland where she continues to write while studying law.

Read more about her online at ericacrouch.com.