Start by marking “Daughter of Dusk (Midnight Thief, #2)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Dusk (Midnight Thief, #2)

Daughter of Dusk

(Midnight Thief #2)

After learning the truth about her bloodlines, Kyra can’t help but feel like a monster.

Published August 4th 2015 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Dusk, please sign up.
Livia Blackburne This is the last book of Kyra's story, but there might be a spinoff about her parents.

Livia Blackburne
Jul 18, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
To me, the overarching theme of DAUGHTER OF DUSK is power. If MIDNIGHT THIEF was about Kyra coming into the different types of power she possessed, this next part of her journey explores the complexities of using it. To paraphrase the assassin James, every time you hold a blade, you must decide how deeply to cut. And the decision may not be as straightforward as Kyra might hope.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/25/y...

Full disclosure: I was a beta reader for an earlier draft of Daughter of Dusk last fall. This is my review of the ARC which has changed so much since then; it always amazes and thrills me to no end to see the process of a book coming together, so I would like to thank author Livia Blackburne for the opportunity.

Daughter of Dusk is the sequel to Midnight Thief, the novel that first introduced us to the protagonist Kyra of F
Alyssa

Publication Date: August 4, 2015
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I beta read this beauty and it's wonderul. You'll just have to take my word for it for now. :)
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

When Midnight Thief appeared two years ago I was blown away by it. The whole idea of the story was so good and with addition of Poison Dance (a prequel) this story promised me a really good ride. I did get that, and I'm happy to say that Daughter of Dusk is pushing it in the right way.

Even though it's been two years since I've read Midnight Thief it didn't take me long to get back into this story. Daughter of Dusk continues where the previous one left off. W
Erin Arkin
4.5 stars for this book!

Last year I happened upon a book called Midnight Thief and if you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, definitely do so. As soon as I saw the galley of book two, Daughter of Dusk, I had to request it. I won’t spend a ton of time on the back story here but if you haven’t had a chance to read book one yet, you might want to hold on reading the rest of this review as Daughter of Dusk picks up shortly after book one ends.

Kyra is in a bit of an odd spot. She knows more about
Frannie Pan
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, z-2015

Another series/duology that ended in an empty whoosh.

Granted, I wasn't in love head over hills with Midnight Thief but I had still enjoyed it very much and had bought the hardcover and was looking forward to the 2nd book. But Daughter of Dusk wasn't the fireworks I wanted to see, it was barely a bunch of cinders.

Obviously I won't go into details, being this the last book in the series, but I will say the whole book was a building up towards a resolution that wore down in less than twenty pages.
nick
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I expected just a little bit more from this conclusion in the plot department.
But I still really liked the characters and the relationships. Overall, this is a duology I recommend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Series Review

Why should you check out the Midnight Thief duology?

1. Loveable main character
Midnight Thief and Daughter of Dusk have some very endearing characters. The protagonist, Kyra, especially was a character I loved from the very start. She wa
Adele
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Review also on Adele Is Reading*

I love the opening sentence to this book. “The snow was a problem, the way it crunched beneath Kyra’s shoes and bore marks of her passing.” I like how the book just opens up to the continuation of the story without actually telling the reader what had happened in the last book right away. Not that that doesn’t happen. It does, just in smaller portions, and when the reader needs to be re-informed about it.

I honestly really love Daughter of Dusk. So much happens. W
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Full review to come!
Luke.Norman
It was a really good book and I would recommend it to people who distompian books.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Wonderful story with a gripping plot, fun characters, and an intriguing world! I didn’t quite like it as much as the first book, but it was still a very entertaining read!

Opening Sentence: The snow was a problem, the way it crunched beneath Kyra’s shoes and bore marks of her passing.

The Review:

Kyra grew up on the streets and she learned to survive by becoming a thief. She can scale walls and do things most normal people can’t. It turns out t
Kristen
This and other reviews on my website My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed Midnight Thief so was very eager to see what would happen in Daughter of Dusk. I chose not to reread the first book so it did take me some time to remember the characters and exactly where the last story left off. After a few chapters though I was back into the Kyra’s story.

I felt that the pacing was a bit slower in this novel though I did enjoy what I was reading. It felt like it took a little long for the
BookLoversLife
I loved book 1 of this and eagerly awaiting this installment, so I was more than delighted to dive right in when I got it. Well, can I say that this is even better than the first!

I found that Kyra grew so much during this one. She was always competent and capable but she is so much more here. She really grew up and has taken responsibility for who she is. She still struggles with the other side of her but at least she is trying to find out more about it and her family. She is still treated as a
Grace Fonseca
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Totally loved this book. This book was like a wonderful roller coaster of emotions. Kyra has a lot more at stake than she did in the previous book. This book took on some crazy intense moments, but it delivered on so many things. I totally loved Kyra and Tristam even more than I did in Midnight Thief.

I love all the characters so much in this world. Flick, James, and many of the others as well. The Demon Riders are totally back in this book and have a major part to play. Plus Kyra and Tristam hav
Justin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2015-arcs
I will admit that when I read the first book in this series “Midnight Thief” I wasn’t overly impressed. I felt there was a lot of improvement that could be made, and I feel like Livia really delivered a lot of those improvements in this sequel. Daughter of Dusk really picks up a lot of the negative feelings I had about Midnight Thief, and turns them into something much more positive.

One of my main issues with the first book was just how gullible it seemed Kyra was, especially early on in the bo
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

I’m not going to lie; I’m a tad bit disappointed in this conclusion. Overall I liked the story and I enjoyed it, but I think I was hoping for a bit more. I just had a hard time staying invested at times and the plot never seemed to fully climax. It was just a lot of “this happens”, “we do this”, “and now this happens”, without a real central plot point. It was just a lot of little plots pulling in together. Honestly I wasn’t even sure where the sto
Michelle Mcroberts
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
**I received an ARC of this title at no cost from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions voiced here are my own.**

I loved this series so much more than I suspected I would. I admire the main character's fight to find herself and preserve those parts she sees as positive and valuable. I appreciate her fear of a part of herself. I think this book has many lessons to teach readers.

First, none of us is without flaws, or parts of ourselves that we keep hidden from others. Part of le
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to beta read Daughter of Dusk during one of its final revisions. I am so excited to read the finished book when the rest of the world does, as well, but I can honestly say that I was beyond pleased with the way this story concludes even in the draft I read.

Upping the romance a notch, as well as the action, Livia Blackburne holds nothing back as she brings all those involved in her story together into a thrilling climactic battle.

As someone who asked for "MORE romance, MORE
Vivian
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I was going to give this book 3 stars...
but the ending was better then what I expected...
It was fun to read...
So my reading went up!
I like it, but i didn't love it.
I was hoping there would be a little more romance... It definitely lacked on that part.

I really did like the idea of humans transforming in cats...
Kyra is a great character and I did enjoy her. But there was a lack of information about her past. I really wanted to know more about her mother, and how she met her father... which is t
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This series holds a special place in my heart. I went into this book having read and loved the first one with high hopes and I was not disappointed. The story zips along at a wonderful pace. The chapters have that really addictive habit of finishing on a cliffhanger, so you find yourself forced into the next chapter in order to discover what happens.

If you love young adult fantasy, please oh please pick this series up in beautiful hardcover. You won't regret it.
Louisa
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book! So great, such a great sequel! Really enjoyed learning about her family, and Kyra learning about the power that she has-and how to use it! So great! And I would really love the story of her parents, since apparently this is the end of Kyra's!
tiya. (tarannum.xo)
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Confused between rating it a solid 3 or 3.5 stars. I only completed this one because of Tristam.
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
3.45 Stars
Edna L. (thebooknymph)
3.5
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. With its poetic words and scenes of action, Daughter of Dusk is totally unforgettable.
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

Sometimes if you are very very lucky you find this amazing gem of a book. Livia Blackburne's Daughter of Dusk is just that type of book. It is book two in her Midnight Thief Novels really really well worth the read. Yep, this is me gushing!

Daughter of Dusk is most definitely a second book in the series, I don't suggest reading it as a stand alone. I did and totally enjoyed it but I knew all along that there was so much I was miss
Ruthsic
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

Though she’s formed a tentative alliance with the Palace, Kyra must keep her identity a secret or risk being hunted like the rest of her Demon Rider kin. Tristam and the imprisoned assassin James are among the few who know about her heritage, but when Tristam reveals a heartbreaking secret of his own, Kyra’s not sure she can trust him. And with James’s fate in the hands of the palace, Kyra fears that he will g
Cristina
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Original Review can be found on my blog, As Dreams Are Made

A fantastic and thrilling installment to a great series!

Kyra has learned the truth about her bloodlines and her past; something she struggles with, especially with her relationship with the palace and Tristam. Another revelation about Tristam will force Kyra to examine their relationship even further. Before she can concentrate on that however, tensions are building within the palace and it’s council, forcing Kyra to make a choice betwe
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
Let me just started off by saying that this book is really good, even if you haven’t read the first novel. When I requested the eARC from Netgalley for this book, I somehow missed the fact that this book was a sequel. Oops! But it sounded so good that I had to read it, and see what it was about anyways. Thankfully it gave some background information, so I wasn’t confused that often. I read it within a couple days and ended up giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

Right from the beginning, the book dives ri
How did you feel about james (spoilers)? 1 11 Apr 26, 2016 12:40AM
How did you feel about james (spoilers)? 1 3 Apr 26, 2016 12:33AM
  • Glittering Shadows (Dark Metropolis, #2)
  • Clanless (Nameless, #2)
  • Silver Eve (Guardians of Tarnec, #2)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • Cage of Deceit (Reign of Secrets, #1)
  • Endure (Defy, #3)
  • The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • The Nightmare Charade (The Arkwell Academy, #3)
  • Charmed (The Witch Hunter, #2)
  • Baygirl
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Blood Passage (Dark Caravan Cycle, #2)
  • When I Wake
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose (Devil's Rock, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Livia Blackburne wrote her first novel while researching the neuroscience of reading at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since then, she’s switched to full-time writing, which also involves getting into people’s heads but without the help of a 3 Tesla MRI scanner.

She is also the author of MIDNIGHT THIEF (an Indies Introduce New Voices selection), DAUGHTE

Midnight Thief (3 books)
  • Desert Dawn (Midnight Thief, #0)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
“It is better to die honorably and render yourself immortal than live to old age and fade to dust.” 3 likes