Start by marking “Hacked” as Want to Read:
Hacked

Hacked

(Hacked)

Dan had been diagnosed as ADHD as a child. He quite liked the ritalin, but then he got into computers, and for his parents a geek was better than something feral. It was hard to remember when the genuine hacking started; but free phone credit was the first illicit, tangible "real-life" results of a hack, though not the last.
By the time Dan is contacted online by "Angel,"
Published November 6th 2014 by Piccadilly Press (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hacked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacked

Start your review of Hacked
Harry
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The start of the book was cool but it was a bit slow getting into the thickness of the plot.(like all books ) for the actual content, I thought the read was really well thought out for a fifteen year old. This was my favourite book of the summer!
The Novel Vault
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I managed to read this book in one sitting, it's a relatively short book so that wasn't that suprising really, but I'm not really sure how to describe this book or whether I liked it or not.

I think for me this book sit's somewhere between: Enjoyed and finished for the sake of reading, I wouldn't say i madly enjoyed this book or that I'd reread it in the future, but it served the purpose of interesting me while I was reading it so that was enough for me.

It's funny really because I think i got
Goldncarrot
Oct 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
From start to end, bad, bad, bad.
whoever wrote this book is very raisest.
Just because of a terrorist attack happened, don't just blame it on MUSLIMS!!!!!
What the hell!!!!!! You can't state that the terrorist is a Muslim why wasn't it a regular person?
there are people out there like me who get offended and hurt for stupid people wanting to discriminate against others for the sake of fun. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT READING THIS BOOK, not just because of its RAISEST but because it has unneeded people
Lynda
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-teens
Riveting and compelling. Sixteen-year-old Dan Langley spends nights on his computer, hacking for the sheer fun of it. He gets bolder and bolder as he finds he can manipulate code to break into government sites around the world, and network with other like-minded hackers. The thrill of the chase blinds him to the consequences. Tracy Alexander is an author who can put her readers inside the skin of the main character, feeling his thoughts, hopes and fears. As Dan's hacking slowly corrodes his ...more
Wdmoor
Hacked was lots of fun to read. At times silly, suspenseful and a decent mystery (though the bad guy isn't that hard to figure out), Hacked is a wonderful summer read.

Mr Alexander is fun to read. He's not one of those authors caught up in their own formula for writing a book. Sometimes his writing feels as undisciplined and goofy as his protagonist (that's not a bad thing, in fact it's downright refreshing) and one scene had me laughing out loud.

Highly recommended.
Matthew
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to an audio book version of this. I thought it was a good book. (view spoiler)
Sofia
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read it a while ago. Idk when. Wasn't very good though b/c the main character was super sexist and just sTUPID. Like some people aren't the smartest but he just made bad decision after bad decision and I could not compute.
Salfaraz
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
to be honest I got bored, this book just didn't get interesting fast enough to keep me into it. The idea sounded great, too bad it didn't live up to that promise!
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Zara
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who want to find out more about hacking and are not ME!
Shelves: 2-stars
I'm a huge computer geek! My laptop is my baby and if anybody tries to steal my child there will be war. As soon as I saw the title of the novel, Hacked, and read the word "cyber" in the blurb, I was sold.

The hacking and coding aspect are seriously FANTASTIC! I have no cooking-clue about anything to do with hacking, but the author makes Dan's hacking and coding processes simple to understand. The way in which Alexander, the author, wrote about the hacking showed that she did a ton of research to
TheCosyDragon
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

Dan is a hacker. When he drifts from one side of the law to another in order to get justice for his friend, he suddenly finds himself on the wrong side of the law with no-one listening to what he can do to help.

Ok, first off. Its a plot driven novel. That basically means you can kiss goodbye to character development. In fact, if you ignore
Georgia
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dan is a young sixteen year old- that just, 'gets,' code. He can
easily hack codes for his advantage, as he often can give his
friends more phone credit; if they run out of it. He doesn't realise the extent of what he can actually do. I really liked Dan's personality, as he often makes witty and humorous remarks throughout the book. He has brilliant friendships with Tyler, and Joe, and uses his hacking skills to help them. Dan's parents have no idea what he is doing upstairs in his bedroom: on his
Linda Guest
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dan is an ordinary 16 year old, studying for GCSEs, meeting his girlfriend, playing computer games with his friends but he has a secret hobby. As soon as he had a computer of his own he realised that playing games wasnt enough, he wanted to write code and after he had taught himself how he started to look at how other websites were constructed, thats when he discovered backdoors into sites and ways to crack their codes. It started with a small hack, free cinema tickets, just to see if he could ...more
Rhondda Powling
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Sixteen year old Dan Lagley is too clever for his own good. He had been diagnosed as ADHD earlier in his life and was prescribed the usual pills to keep his energy manageable. When he discovered computers however, there was no need for the drugs, he was hooked and his energies were devoted to understanding them manipulating data. This interest and ability does lead to danger and Dan is sucked into the world of hacking, where things are not always straightforward and may be dangerous. His close ...more
Graham
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
What happens when a 16 year old kid manages to hack a drone, sends the code to an online friend, who then appears to use it to send anther drone to bomb London? No? Well that's the plot of this book. It's written as an examination of the 'one sided' extradition pact between the UK and the U.S. , and feels real. It would be interesting to hear from hackers as to how real this really is.
Dan's friends are a mix of people, each with their own character, and his girlfriends are real characters with
BooksAndBooks
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive
Hacked tells the story of Daniel Langley, a 16 year old who has a talent for hacking.

When he gets popular at school for the small things he hacks into things go to the next level. His world is turned upside when he meets Angel online. They soon become friends but then Angel disappears. Soon Dan learns the consequences of his own actions.

A short, quick read and very entertaining. The characters were all great. The author clearly did his research on hacking and the legal system.

One thing I did
Charlie Carrick
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not sure what I was expecting, but this was a compelling read. Warmed to the eponymous hero (much to my surprise) and although aimed at a young adult audience, even as an older adult, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
VJ
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story - Dan was a very real character ...... I got into the book very quickly and couldn't put it down. I wanted to know what would happen. I could visualise this book as a film - am very excited about the sequel from the point of view of Angel!
Zachary Finch
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story, really interesting. Gives a nice insight into hacking that makes it more understandable if you know nothing about it, like what you can and can't do with it, and how dangerous it can be. Absolutely loved the ending, and the lead up to it, great read.
Kate B
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Listened to the audiobook in the car with my eleven year old.
Kelly
Not a bad read, but it could have been better.
Chrizia Nicole Cayanan
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3? 3.5? It was really interesting. I'm not really into programming or hacking and stuff but I liked it. What happens to Dronejacker (angel) though?? And to Dan? Did he continue hacking and stuff?
Fi
Strangely disappointing, (view spoiler)
Kirsty
Mar 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. Review to follow.
Stuey Mac
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on the recommendation of one of my students and thoroughly enjoyed it
Chantal
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Consequences of actions, the power of social media and how easily the devil makes work for idol hands are the themes of this riveting read.
Recommended: 13+
Caroline
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Excellent fast paced adventure. It's hero is a geek who is very good at coding - so good that it draws him into a very dangerous situation. Believable characters, action and plots. Loved it!
MRS MJ Scott
Apr 23, 2017
Oliver Clark
Sep 16, 2016
Matthew
Jun 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Hysteria
  • The Druid (Warrior Druid of Britain #1)
  • Sweet Sorrow
  • Hostage (Bodyguard, #1)
  • Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid
  • Survivor
  • Napalm & Silly Putty
  • Brain Droppings
  • SeinLanguage
  • I Am America (And So Can You!)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • The Danger Game
  • Sky Song
  • The Ultimate Truth (Travis Delaney, #1)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
I had loads of jobs before I became a writer. Some were strange, like testing Birds Eyes fish fingers, and some were exciting, like working for Adidas and meeting all the athletes. I wanted to be an Olympic 100m Gold Medallist, but being a writer is pretty fabulous, although much slower.

Hacked (2 books)