Start by marking “The Shield: a novel” as Want to Read:
The Shield: a novel

The Shield: a novel

The Shield is a riveting story of conflicting emotions and ideologies in the tradition of Harry Turtledove and S. M. Stirlingss Island in the Sea of Time. Twenty-first century Israel finds itself transferred to 1941 days before Nazi Germany plans to attack the Soviet Union. Opportunities abound for changing history and the population including terrorists, tourists, ...more
Published May 28th 2014 (first published May 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shield

Start your review of The Shield: a novel
M Kat
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of Harry Turtledove and S. M. Stirlings's "Island in the Sea of Time."

21st century Israel - terrorists, tourists, diplomats, pacifists, and all - finds itself transferred to 1941, days before Nazi Germany plans to attack the Soviet Union. Raises interesting questions about changing history and what modern technology can (and cannot) do, about how people adapt to a different time. I can't wait for the sequel!
Mike Brunn
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW

My biggest disappointment was that the book ended! I loved the detail, the various characters and development was just enough. The detail in the decisions that were made concerning every ripple in time that was made really made the book, and story just that more enjoyable and real.
Nachman please write faster, I need more of this great story.
Bruce Sandmeyer
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An Enjoyable Read

Modern Israel is transported back to 1941 without any explanation. I thought I missed something. However the author writes an exciting alternative WWII story that kept me turning pages. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Nachman Kataczinsky
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Since I wrote it, I think it's worth reading.
This website: http://theshield.rankarmor.com gives readers additional information.
Mark
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Interesting Alternative History

A very interesting science fiction alternative history. Draws on a mixture of World War II history and modern history of the Middle East. The underlying political and cultural commentary is fascinating. There is a large ensemble of characters with reasonable character development. The one drawback is the abrupt end of the book, which is actually volume one of at least two volumes.
Allen McDonnell
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great AH!

Well developed characters fill this fast paced novel from start to finish. I could hardly put this novel down and read it in a little over 36 hours, from noon on day one to midnight on the second day.

Highly recommended for all time travel World War II fans.
John Betts
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Earl Perkins
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Premise is a stretch, but alternate history results impressive

I found the original idea to het Israel into 1941 non-plausible, but remainder of the book appeared well researched with only minor grammatical errors. A good read.
Michael Zevin
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, even if it reads as Turtledove's book sometimes (nothing wrong with that:) Waiting for second book.

One more thing - cover... It projects wrong idea, in my opinion. Big Magen David instead of swastika would be more appropriate.
Robert Mayo
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an original, well researched and exciting alternative history. For me it brings home the true evil and loss caused by the holocaust as it happened in our timeline. It does this by hinting at what might have been had the holocaust been prevented or mitigated. Can't wait for the sequel.
Fernando avila
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ask Nachman Katac...: sequel? 2 6 Jun 04, 2014 10:31AM

• Operation Red Dragon and the Unthinkable
  • Operation Red Dawn and the Siege of Europe (World War III Series #3)
  • Repulse: Europe at War 2062-2064
  • The Perfect Assassin (David Slaton, #1)
  • The Lost Order (Cotton Malone, #12)
  • The War for Korea, 1945-1950: A House Burning
  • Amerika: Call to Arms (Amerika #2)
  • Halsey's Bluff
  • Goering's War Book Two: Spain and Moscow
  • The End of the World as We Might Have Known It
  • Inconsequential Nazi (The Parallel Nazi Book 4)
  • WE SO FEW: BOOK 3 OF THE FIGHTING TOMCATS
  • The Twilight's Last Gleaming
  • Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
  • The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • Eden's Exodus (Plague Wars, #3)
  • Plague Wars Trilogy (Plague Wars #0-2)
Born in the U.S.S.R. to Holocaust survivors, Nachman Kataczinsky grew up in Israel. He earned a degree in mechanical engineering from the prestigious Technion University and was an officer with the Israel Defense Forces. His employer put him on the design team for the Merkava, Israels first tank, and promoted Nachman to head Research and Development, where he worked on ballistic armor and weapons ...more

News & Interviews