Start by marking “Bright Water, Dark Sky” as Want to Read:
Bright Water, Dark Sky

Bright Water, Dark Sky

Dear Author,
We’re a fun loving people, a little blood thirsty, but what race isn’t? We’ve discovered some humans have landed on our planet, not sure what they’re expecting to find or what they’re looking for. We guard our treasure well and the fun loving part notwithstanding we’ll fight to defend what’s ours. Amidst all this I’m trying to find my mate. He has to be somewhe
Published July 8th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Bright Water, Dark Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Water, Dark Sky

Stealing the Wind by Shira AnthonyBlood in the Water by Megan DerrLove Rising by Piper VaughnKraken by M. CaspianInto the Wind by Shira Anthony
Queer Merfolk
139 books — 170 voters
Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts by Lyn GalaAll Wrapped Up by Elizabeth HyderAssimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities by Lyn GalaKraken by M. CaspianNo Boundaries by Alex Mar
Tentaclesex, yay!
196 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Augusta Li's novella is astonishing, one of my favorite reads of the LL event thus far.

Sora, a scientist of human Japanese decent, is part of a mission to explore a new planet, Varuna. Separated from his colleagues thanks to a storm and his own unquenchable curiosity, Sora is rescued by Ch'Marsam-muk, one of Verona's people, all of whom live under the water.

Ch'Marsam-muk, a craftsman and a warrior, is a sort of merman with tentacles instead of a tale. He recognizes Sora as his mate, b
Vivian
Sweetly erotic, tentacle sex.

SOLD! Seriously, between the tentacles and the suckers on this guy... yeah, I'd be all in. So, in this one you've joined the away team. Grab your red shirt. Some nice world building on the aquatic planet of Varuna. Good conflict. Overall, diverting with slithery probing, intrigue, double crossing and we finally see how far one man will go in the name of science.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was a book of extremes for me: I loved a lot of it and was beyond irritated with a lot of it, too. But the good outweighed the bad for me.

Good

Strong females and people of color throughout book, including MC.

Interesting characters and world. I could have spent a lot more time in this world, both on ship and on planet.

Good plot. Not particularly original but it kept me engaged.

Excellent pacing except for the slow and long sex scenes. But there were only a couple and they were moderately hot
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
So I got curious. Decided to read some tentacle erotica. 😂 Fans of erotica gotta push their limits sometimes. So this ended up having a lot more of a story than I had expected. But I should have since it was part of the Love’s Landscapes event and they are usually pretty good. But I was a bit disappointed that the sex was not more inventive. Why else have all those arms if not for inventive sex?! 😏 I’m gonna have to look for something a little sexier next time. Or kinkier. Or more tentacley.
Emma Sea
Creative, with good character diversity, and, importantly, nice tentsex. Thank you, Augusta Li.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love's Landscapes event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

I liked this, and I think it had a lot of potential. I thought the human parts with Sora got a little boring, and could have been cleaned up some. Same with plot as a whole, tighten things up a bit. Tentacle sex was obviously super sexy, although I didn't entirely appreciate the way Sora treated him (view spoiler)
Elizabetta

I really liked the world-building in this short story. The descriptive passages of Varuna, a water-planet at the center of this sci-fi plot, are lovely and worth the read. I felt like I got to know Sora, too. He’s the brilliant, methodical scientist, and a loner in his space-lab facility, who could use a little ‘action’ in his life. On a scientific mission to explore the beautiful blue Varuna, Sora feels a very strong pull to the place.

Ch’Maram-muk is also beautiful— a man/cephalopod hybrid, a
Jeanne 'Divinae'
Ch’Marsam-muk is a race that has tentacles. They live on a planet that is covered mostly by water. They also, if they are lucky, find a mate; their one and only. He finds his in the name of a human named Sora.

Sora, is sent to the Varuna, Ch’Marsam-muk’s planet, because it is rich and plentiful of a special ore that is the best they ever had set their eyes on. Sora and his group were sent to find out more about the planet and to see if there are intelligent beings that live their already. When t
Aviva
So this book was a bet. And I lost. Except I won because I wasn't the one going through the tentacles yeah! list to find no non con tentacles books. Mwahahaha.
Evil laugh aside, that was a nice novella, there was an interesting plot, the MCs were adorable and of course tentacles sex. Full of details tentacles sex. Now I know things. And I kind of like tentacles books. I may need another one to be sure.
M'rella
I am rating the first 40% only.

Couldn't take any more of this dry toast, it reads like a combination of a science text book, Yoda (tho not as colorful) and Leo Tolstoy (however his long sentences are much easier to follow).

As for romance? So far: two creatures from different worlds, a human named Sora, and a merpus? man'o'pus? - what do you call a merman with tentacles instead of a tail? - meet on an alien beach for half an hour or so. They spend time building up a vocabulary by pointing at ran
Chris, the Dalek King
I do love me some tentacles!

I am a kinky, kinky girl. ;D

I have no idea why I find tentacles so hot. But they are, and this book is hot. But there is also a really good story around all that hot tentacley sexiness. I really liked that the humans and other beings in this story were not automatically greedy little evil bastards. Yeah, there were some rotten apples, but I didn't feel like I was reading yet another scifi based on how fucked up humanity was/is. The bad parts, the greed and disregard f
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Engaging SciFi novel - great premise and really well done world building. I could vividly "see" the landscape of the planet in my mind. I appreciated the amount of visceral descriptions that were provided - I enjoy "feeling" a story with all my senses and here this was front and center. I'm not so sure the chemistry flowed as well between the MC's as the world did - it was almost secondary to it. Little bit of morality here - not in a preachy way - but clearly corollaries from our current world.
Elci
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just fantastic. My LL prompt story. Yay for tentacle love.
K
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dritc
very solid 4.5 stars
Sci-fi/mermen(ish) adventure (with tentacles)
Sora is a scientific officer who is part of a crew going to investigate a new planet, which is mostly covered in water, for a particular element that appears to be abundant there. Separated from his crew-mate, and knocked into the water, he is rescued by Ch'Marsam-muk, a native of the planet, of mermen type but with tentacles rather than a fish tail. There is a bond between them immediately but no time to act on it. When it's agree
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Wow! Who would have thought that tentacle sex could be hot? I was quite skeptical when I started, but this author captured me immediately. There's excellent world-building, action, adventure and intrigue, and best of all a sweet interspecies romance with hot, tentacle sex. Or maybe best of all is the fact that it's free! Thank you Ms. Li for creating a terrific story and giving us the gift of your wonderful imagination.

If my Goodreads friends read this review, all I can say is that if you want
Bookwatcher
I have a great time reading it but... It's not a 5 stars because I sort of lost my attention in the middle. It's hard to say a short story should be shorter, but that's my impression... It should has less "serious" stuff, like complots and intrigues to present me better the MCs. I like Sera and Ch’Marsam-muk so much I was almost bored because (view spoiler).

BUT praise to Augusta Li story! It's a freebie,sexy, and Ch’Marsam-muk beha
Shelby
Not quite sure I’m all in on the whole tentacle sex team, but this was strangely interesting at the same time. I liked the strange new worlds element and the purpose they were trying to achieve. I will say Sora’s facility with language and basically picking it up with little problem was a bit of a stretch for me, but in the end I did enjoy this story. I appreciated the way that the social issues were handled and there was just enough threat to keep things interesting.

Sora is incredibly excited t
Pamela Su
Sexy, sweet tentacle sex! No way I could have resisted this story!

I liked this story. Good world building for this story and I found the aquatic world fascinating to read.

The story's flow faltered near the end and the way certain events played out seemed forced. The conclusion was a little too rushed and I think the story would have benefited a little more if the main characters had more time to get to know each other.

The tentacle sex was very splendidly done and I heartily enjoyed every moment
Sunny
What I liked:
The set up for the story, the basic plot
Very nice world building, I loved Varuna
The tentacle action was well done
Characters like Ch'Marsam-Muk and Nualyin were awesome :D

What kept it from 4 stars:
The story/plot felt a bit too ambitious at times
Sometimes too much telling, summing up
Dialogue often felt stilted, awkward
Sora- I just didn't like how he acted near the end
Calila
Interesting read. I don't have any major complaints. But also nothing really to rave about. I did feel the connection between the MCs, it's believable in that aspect. I feel like a lot of the resolution to the big conflict happened off page and we only get a "by the way" wrap up. It's just "*shrugs* good".
Melanie
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was incredible.

Tentacles is definitely one of my guilty pleasures.
I wasn't expecting what I got with this, the majority of tentacle stories I've read have been very dark, it was nice to read one that was a lot sweeter.
Maygirl7
Jul 12, 2014 marked it as not-for-me
Not even tentacles could salvage this for me.
Penelope Frost
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ohh I love it! Not enough great merman(-ish) stories out there, but this was brilliant!
Teresa
4.5 Stars - Very entertaining and imaginative. Quite the adventure, plus tentacle sex!
Lioness7
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I originally decided to read this book because it fulfilled more than one challenge I was doing. I usually don't find books with tentacles all that thrilling. I've read a couple and can give or take them. I have to say this book was pretty good though. Basically, I like both the plot and the characters. Sure, I would love to have had the book be a bit longer. I think I wish that for all shorter books though. I just had fun reading.
DeeNeez
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this for a merman MC and I got some awesome tentacle sex. Interesting concept for water world and for mermen with tentacles, it actually made sense.
Hulttio
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
See the line where the sky meets the sea—it calls me! And no one knows, how far it goes! 🎵😂
VVivacious
This book has the best of intentions and it is kind of unique especially in the world that this story paints it is fascinating. Unfortunately it is a dull story set in a fascinating world.

The world is a highly advanced human civilization working in association with other alien species (only one was ever mentioned but the impression I got was that there were more). But the Silica that makes up the majority of their spaceships is rapidly depleting, right at the time that a new element is Francesiu
Elin
So, tentacle sex. This was my first attempt at it, and I think the last too. *shudders*

Storywise, we have the scientist Sora, on a mission with a team from the Earth-Alliance. They want a rare metal that they have found on the planet Varuna. But when Sora discovers that the planet is inhabited by intelligent beings (basically mermen with tentacles), some wants to take the metal by force, and Sora has to stop them, together with Ch’Marsam-muk, that he met on the planet first time there.

Sora is Ch
Serith
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was all right. Only “all right” because it’s no secret how I feel about premature love. I need chemistry and evidence to back it up. Otherwise a story feels like an excuse for smut. The characters even admit they moved too fast and that they could barely talk. I didn’t really care if they reunited because there wasn’t much between them. This means some plot elements fell a bit weak since romance was the main support.

I did like the political dynamics between the two worlds, though. A little

• Broken Phoenix
  • Laser Visions
  • Matters of State (Space Portal Vector, #2)
  • Yarulf's Duty
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • Human Choices (Guardians of the Leythe, #2)
  • Knickers in a Twist
  • Perihelion (Queenships, #1)
  • Where Willows Won't Grow
  • The Arroyo
  • An Old-Fashioned Love Song (Woodshed, #1)
  • No Boundaries
  • Ashes of Life
  • The Sentinel
  • The Only Way Out Is In
  • Salvaging Toby's Heart
  • Honesty and Artifice
  • Un/Common Ground

Gus's Books are available at Dreamspinner Press, Silver Publishing, , Yaoi Press, and Storm Moon Press.

Gus has much love for readers and book enthusiasts. Communication and friendship is encouraged!

Website: www.BooksByEonandGus.com