Start by marking “100 Great Children's Picturebooks” as Want to Read:
100 Great Children's Picturebooks

100 Great Children's Picturebooks

This unashamed visual feast celebrates the best designed and illustrated picturebooks from around the world over the past one hundred years.

Each book is a creation of genius and inventiveness, and their design and illustration represent such diverse trends as the Russian Constructivists, Italian Futurists, and Postwar Neo-romantics. They are also mirrors of their times ref
Published May 5th 2015 by Laurence King Publishing (first published March 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Great Children's Picturebooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Great Children's Picturebooks

Start your review of 100 Great Children's Picturebooks
Mathew
I don't think I can emphasise enough the great joy that I got from reading this book. Composed by Martin Salisbury, Professor of Illustration at Cambridge School of Art in Anglia Ruskin University, this is an easy, enjoyable read that explores a broad range of exciting and often unique picturebooks. The diversity in content, style and story is so broad and new to me that I know I'm going to need to go back and read again.
Salisbury not only hand-picks from a range of talented authors and illustr
Jane
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great eye-opener for anyone interested in the history and art of the picture book. While Salisbury's choices lean towards mid-century British books, he also includes superb examples from Japan, Soviet Russia, Italy, France and America. A lovely book to browse with plenty of surprises as well as old favorites.
Kris McCracken
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, this really is a visual feast that showcases a selection of the best designed and illustrated picture books drawn from around the world from the beginning of the twentieth century. You can forgive Salisbury for choosing some rare and unusual classics, or focusing on less familiar books by the 'big' names of children's books, and each choice is entirely worthy.

I was drawn particularly to the Soviet entries, but more broadly the selection covers the varied genius and inventi
Andrew
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, a
A rare "[number] [exclamation] [genre] you must read before [event]" book was actually good. I got some really amazing suggestions from this, revisited books I forgot I loved, and saw some books that I will probably never ever find. Each entry has a quick little blurb about the author/illustrator and the book's importance/history. There's a few snapshots of each book, and a few quick notes that point out interesting things - such as noting the illustrator's unique use of color or spacing.

M.L.D.
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to really love this book--I like children's books and I like reading books about children's books. The author's personal taste does not line up with mine--to be fair, he's not claiming that these selections are the "best", simply that they are "great". Given the number of difficult to find and out of print books he selected, I think a better title would be: obscure children's picturebooks that you should know about.
Rebecca
If you're only used to seeing American picturebooks, check out this great overview that spans decades and countries. The styles are so diverse.
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Decent, but I likely shan't be returning to it.

I liked the format (double-page spread per book, several examples rather than a single illustration, exposure to many unfamiliar artists), but wasn't thrilled with a lot of the choices--this is inevitable, but the author's taste skews toward that faux-primitive "modern" look that really came into vogue in the 50s, and my taste skews toward elegant and composed (e.g. Gorey or Sendak--who is included, and stands out for his beauty).

And as I'm dreadf
Camille
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Although it was very interesting, I found the author's choices perplexing. Most of them were books with dark and dreary illustrations. With only a handful of exceptions, the books he chose look as though they were illustrated by artists influenced by disturbing thoughts or hallucinogenic substances. That being said, it was eye opening and informative, although a bit disappointing.
Diana Habashneh
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
the book presents useful examples for anyone looking for inspiration, the dates of the art works starts a while a go "20's" and you can see different techniques used in the artistic process, over all it could be used as an inspiration source
Anne
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One hundred books over a span of little more that 100 years, presented chronologically with two pages devoted to each. A seemingly impossible task presented effortlessly and elegantly. The author is a professor at an art school in Cambridge therefore there is a slight British leaning, overall a nice balance among European, U.S. and Asian designer/illustrators.
Anneleen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Leuk tussendoor boek.
Sommige prentenboeken zijn best wel raar, maar dat is mijn mening :p.
Jack Keely
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: illustration
This book jumped off the shelf at me and I had to buy it. Martin Salisbury has selected 100 wonderful books with evocative and inspirational illustrations that range from the pure abstraction of ABOUT TWO SQUARES by El Lissitzky to the charming narrative pictures that Eberhard Binder created for MR CLOCKMAN. Although a few of the books included were old friends, most of them were new to me. They are all gorgeous. The beautifully designed pages of the selected books burst with inspirational, char ...more
Sheri
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was one person's view of the great picture books from the early 1900s to 2014. I think he concentrated on the artwork or illustrations and I only recognized 12 of them as having owned or read them. Some were foreign from England, Germany, France, etc. It showed the progression of illustrations and samples of each book and reasons for the colors and the type of illustrations used. Historical I guess and Non fiction.
Chris
This is an amazing book filled with beautiful illustrations and information on authors and illustrators of a select group of books published from 1910 -2014. The books, hailing from many different countries, reflect different illustrating styles, which are also detailed. While there is just enough information provided in the text side bar on each double-page spread, the real stars of the book are the illustrations themselves - and the illustrators who created them.
Paul
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A really good book documenting different children's book throughout the course of the 20th century. I think the illustrations, descriptions and documentation is first rate and the selection is also really good. Other than that it's good to see how children's books have transformed over the course of time.
A definite read for anyone interested in children's books.
Debby Baumgartner
A selection of books from 1910 - 2014 that looks at the art work in children's picturebooks.
Ellen Forkin
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Arrival
  • Jane, the Fox, and Me
  • Captain Rosalie
  • The Brontes: The Fantastically Feminist (and Totally True) Story of the Astonishing Authors
  • Where Is Your Sister?
  • Big Ideas for Curious Minds: An Introduction to Philosophy
  • Michelle Obama: The Fantastically Feminist (and Totally True) Story of the Inspirational Activist and Campaigner
  • Giulietta e Federico
  • The Salmon of Knowledge
  • Ada Lovelace: The Fantastically Feminist (and Totally True) Story of the Mathematician Extraordinaire
  • Where Happiness Begins
  • Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)
  • The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • The Red Tree
  • The Owl Service
  • Dark Matter
  • Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World
Martin studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art (now part of the University of the Creative Arts) in the 1970s. He has worked as an illustrator and painter ever since. In recent years his work has focused mainly on the area of children’s book illustration, painting for exhibition and writing on the subject of drawing and illustration.

Martin regularly contributes to Artists & Illustrators m