Start by marking “The Lost Island” as Want to Read:
The Lost Island

The Lost Island

(Gideon Crew #3)

Gideon Crew--brilliant scientist, master thief--is living on borrowed time. When his mysterious employer, Eli Glinn, gives him an eyebrow-raising mission, he has no reason to refuse. Gideon's task: steal a page from the priceless Book of Kells, now on display in New York City and protected by unbreakable security.

Accomplishing the impossible, Gideon steals the parchment--o
Published March 24th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Island, please sign up.
Laurie I would say young adult on up. They are pretty complex for juveniles

Matthew
For the first two books of the Gideon Crew series it was hard not to compare them to Preston and Child's Pendergast series. Unfortunately, when comparing to Pendergast, you have big shoes to fill. Up until now, those shoes were falling off because Crew's feet were too small. But, it seems like Crew has finally had a growth spurt in a big way!

The Lost Island was a fantastic, enthralling, and intricately crafted adventure. Combining science, technology, art, literature, history, adventure, and sar
Pamela Cathcart
*Eyeroll*
How can my dear authors go so far astray? The beginning was all my dreams bundled together: palimpsests, the Book of Kells, Gideon fooling Sotheby's. Yum. Then before my very eyes, the plot was taken over by 12 year-old boys... the kind who spend their lives drawing pictures of monsters and running about going "raaawarrrrr." Gideon was sidelined by everyone else in the book: his partner, his employer, the island goings-on. I did finish the book, but it won't be pulled out again, and tha
Ware
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pour two cups of Homer into a medium saucepan
Add a dash of King Kong.
Sprinkle with the Origin of the Species.
Stir.
Set on medium heat for an hour.
Allow to cool.
Next mix in a tablespoon of James Hilton.
Then add five pounds of pure baloney, finely chopped.
Stir again and half bake at 350 degrees for the seven hours it takes you to finish reading this convoluted mess.
Serve with embarrassment.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like Preston & Child are kind of stumbling through the Pendergast series at this point in time. So, I decided to give their latest character a try. I'm glad I did. Gideon Crew is a lot of fun, and THE LOST ISLAND is a grand adventure full of science and otherworldly wonders. This is how these two guys are supposed to write!! Excellent, fun read.
Vicki Elia
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review
1 Star

A very foolish book that attempts to reconstruct parts of Homer's Odyssey in the guise of a Gideon Crew saga. I am sorely disappointed in this Preston & Child offering. It is phony, pathetic and pretentious, and seems to be written for the SyFy channel for a 2:00 a.m. airing. Once.

Homer is rolling over in his grave.
Tiffany
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No book has ever made me want to reach through the pages and slap the crap out of a character like this book. It also made me cry. Dammit.
Marialyce
This book might have been a three star novel, but once you threw in the Cyclops well that kind of ended it for me. Don't get me wrong, I am a stickler for a good yarn with fantasy and history thrown in on the side, but for some reason the last quarter of the book just did not gel.

It was ok for some mindless fluff to while away a summer's day.
Dagny
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preston-child
After my dissatisfaction with the second book in this series, I was thrilled that this turned out to be a good read.
Kate Ayers
Well, the half star rating might come in handy here, although I probably would go down instead of up. I normally like Preston & Child, but this one was a bit too farfetched. Admittedly, though, it certainly was action filled. The idea of a treasure hunt was so irresistible, it drew me in. The treasure was an intriguing one, too, thankfully not just another billion dollars. But the implausibility of their quest and what they find...that put me off. Still, it's an entertaining read.
Kay
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read where I did not like any of the main characters. A book is only enjoyable when you can connect to its characters and this was not the case with The Lost Island. A disappointing read.
Steven
Way better than the other two Gideon Crew books! Lots of fun! Sets up book four really well and kinda hints it might be the last.
Wdmoor
This book will make you feel stupid. And annoyed. It seriously needed a good editor to shake it up and slap some sense into it. Too bad it didn't get one.

If you're old enough you'll remember the weekly Saturday matinee serials with their crazy cliffhanger endings. You'd always feel a little cheated the next week how easily the hero or heroine overcame whatever peril was placed in their paths, but then forget about it as the next cliffhanger ending grabbed your attention.

This book was one whole l
Mark
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Preston & Child
And of course would I buy this novel by messieurs Preston & Child, mostly because of their Pendergast-series.

The Gideon Crewe series seems to be far more tailored for the cinema, as long as Tom Cruise does not spoil the fun. This book is a combination of genres the Heist genre, the historical/fantastical thriller, some pirates and treasure seekers thrown in and some lost world for good measure (the Arthur Conan Doyle variety it is). And it all delivers an adventure novel that fires on all fr
Emily
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is by far my favorite of the Gideon Crew series. I was so happy when I got an advance copy from my local bookstore. I've been reading Preston & Child since I was a young girl and am happy that they have another series besides Pendergast. I found this book a quick but enjoyable read which I had difficulty in putting down. The plot remained interesting and was difficult to predict. I see this series becoming a new favorite for adventure loving readers.
Toby Tate
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These guys never cease to amaze and entertain. I love all the Gideon Crew books, and this one is the greatest yet. Gideon and his pal, Ami, find a tribe of people and a bizarre creature living on a remote Caribbean island as they search for a plant whose chemical properties may even cure cancer! Action/adventure/sci-fi/horror at its best!
Lisa
I'm afraid I have to agree with all the other negative reviewers out there. I mean, where to start with this book? With the hero who doesn't drive the plot and just goes along with things, even when they make no sense? With the ridiculous premise? With the surprisingly poor writing? With the rehashing of Preston and Child's personal cliches? It's hard to find a single part of this book that wasn't screwed up.

(view spoiler)
it'chy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
i enjoyed this better than the previous ones, although this seems like a great departure from the rest of the series' subject matters

i dunno why eli had to carry a small-ass caliber m16 when the rest of his retinue carry m4a1s

p224: he picked up the cell phone and unlatched the box. amiko watched as he opened it, checked the battery. still at one percent.
he turned it on.
what a bad-ass battery that was, indicating a one-percent charge while on the "off" state
Monnie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no shortage of action in this, the third in the series featuring Dr. Gideon Crew - a thief turned scientist with a terminal illness that could take his life at any given moment. As one might expect, that means he's got nothing much to lose, so he's willing to go where no man has gone before.

And man, he does exactly that. I enjoyed it thoroughly - in some ways even more than the first two - but I warn that you'll need more than a modicum of creative imagination to get through it; some par
Jane
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really liked the first two books in this series. This one, however, leaves me certain that I won't read any more. The story started off ok but immediately hit a snag in one of the major characterizations. When a recurrent character acts in a way that isn't consistent with previous behavior, there needs to be a logical reason.

By the end of the book, I was so angry with the illogical actions of Glinn, who is supposed to be an intelligent and reasonably good guy, that I wanted him torn from limb
Auri Nogueira
Son mis autores preferidos, pero esta serie no engancha tanto como la de Pendergast. Sigo pasándolo bien con sus libros, pero ya no enganchan tanto como antes. Aun así, es una lectura muy amena y entretenida. Lo recomiendo.
Anthony
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't care what anyone said about this book... this was the one that introduced me to Preston and Child, and got me to read their books! Yes, yes, I know, the... thing at that place (no spoiler given) might have been quite far-fetched, which I'm sure is the reason for the avg stars given. But the action and adventure was INCREDIBLE
Cheryl
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, escapist novel. Fast read. I love the way Preston/Child use ancient history as a driving force and weave it all together. If you just sit back and enjoy, and don't ask too many questions, it's a page turner.
J Stanley
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
The story started out very good. Got a little weird at the end with Ancient Greece references and finding a living Cyclops.
Love the characters, but I felt disappointed with the end of the story.

Ricky
After a two-year hiatus, Gideon Crew returns in top form...and once again, the book ends with a tantalizing hint to the next one, which might finally be the long-awaited Ice Limit sequel!
Bea  Charmed
Utterly unbelievable but engaging nonetheless. Full of adventure, a hint of romance, a sense of urgency, and a good blend of mythology and science.
Lorrie
You have to let your imagination run wild to listen to this book.
Joan
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these authors. I listened to an audio book this time. There are fantastic things happening in this book, starting with stealing a page of the Book of Kells, the famous Irish book, erasing the illustration to find the map that is beneath. Once they have the map, Gideon and Amy are going to find something that will cure human diseases and handicaps. Eli Glinn is funding the project because he thinks that he can benefit from the cure and get out of his wheel chair. Because of Glinn's selfish ...more
Heidi
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great amusement park ride— thrills, chills, suspense and a few moments of just dangling in space with no parachute in sight. This is definitely my favorite entry of the series.

Love a book that raises the heart beat and kicks you in the mouth a few times? This is it.

(And for the naysayers— sure it was completely unbelievable— but that’s okay. That’s what I want from a book that starts with a treasure map!!)

PS- The nods to Greek mythology was like frosting on this thriller cake!!
Sebastian
Een 3,5 als beoordeling. Deze viel een beetje tegen omdat er teveel onwerkelijkheid in dit deel zat. Maar nog steeds onderhoudend en ontspannend om te lezen. Ga nu gelijk door met het laatste boek uit de serie. Voorbij de IJsgrens.
Stefan Svartling
A great read. I like these kind of stories that is full of fantasy and adventure. I don't care if it's not so believable story as long as it's interesting.
Phorkys 1 19 Apr 05, 2015 05:22PM
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
  • Vostok
  • Black Scorpion: The Tyrant Reborn
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)
  • Code White
  • Slightly Wicked / Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
  • The Barbed Crown (Ethan Gage, #6)
  • Connie (The Daughters of Allamont Hall, #3)
  • Shadow Tag
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Gideon Crew (5 books)
  • Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew, #1)
  • Gideon's Corpse (Gideon Crew #2)
  • Beyond the Ice Limit (Gideon Crew, #4; Ice Limit #2)
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5)
“Sometimes it takes courage—maybe all the courage you’ve got—to just live life.” 2 likes