Start by marking “Killing Monica” as Want to Read:
Killing Monica

Killing Monica

This is the book fans of Candace Bushnell have been waiting for. From the author of Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle, and The Carrie Diaries comes an addictive story about fame, love, and foolishness that will keep readers enthralled to the very last enticing scene.

Pandy "PJ" Wallis is a renowned writer whose novels about a young woman making her way in Manhattan have spa
Published June 23rd 2015 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Killing Monica, please sign up.
Michelle Elizabeth I don't know but I was making the same comparisons. I did some poking around and found that no Bushnell was not making the comparison and after…moreI don't know but I was making the same comparisons. I did some poking around and found that no Bushnell was not making the comparison and after reading the ending I agree.

Here is a link to the article/interview with Candace Bushnell:

Dianne
Jun 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Could someone please explain to me what I just spent 2 days reading? Maybe I am not the targeted audience which should have been YA with a lot of vulgarity, heavy drinking, drugs, and some sex; but I should have found some entertainment value in this book, shouldn't I have? I mean the character of Pandy is supposed to be in her 40's - well she is before and after part 2.

This is a cliched look into the lives of an author and an actress -how the author wants to write something 'meaningful' and wha
Julie
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

SPOILER ALERT

Up until the last chapter or so of this book, I was on board with it. The idea intrigued me - how to kill Monica, the creation that made the main character into a celebrated author. The entire time I was wondering if Ms. Bushnell would want to kill Carrie Bradshaw if she could. Is it understandable or biting the hand that feeds? The supporting characters were cute and I enjoyed that it was set up into the present and two separate flashbac
Naomi Kelsey
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay, where to start with this book?
It's the literary equivalent of eating Sour Patch Kids. You know you really shouldn't but...

Firstly, let me say that I like Bushnell's sharp, satirical style in general. Sex and the City was a bit too mean for me, but I loved her other books and they made a perfect "arsenic cookie" read. Just light enough, just sharp enough.

This book is....here's the issues with it:

The characters (all of them!) are unredeemably despicable. The lead, Pandy, is a selfish, unl
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't enjoy giving negative reviews, but I'm going to have to have to be honest here and say that this book is a hot mess.

I've read many of Bushnell's other books -- Lipstick Jungle, 4 Blondes, Sex and the City, and Trading Up -- and I remember enjoying them. I was younger then. I don't know if my taste has changed or if this book is an outlier, because this book doesn't make any sense.

The first couple of chapters are a confusing amalgamation of scenes where the main character (and I as the r
Julie Parks
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This definitely isn't one of Bushnell's best. Or maybe it is, depends on how you look at it. I think some people consider her chick lit, and in that case, this is a very good story.

I read her book TRADING UP as a ridicule to bloondeville and figured she's a genius for disguising a genuine idiot's life as a satire. I mean, is anyone out there really that "blonde" (nothing to do with hair color, it's just an expression, I have nothing against blondes. In fact, back in college I dyed my own hair bl
Figgy
This title features on my Worst of 2015 list!

PJ/Pandy/Pandemonia Wallis is best known as the author of a series of books whose main character has gone on to be the central focus of a series of movies, and has become something of an icon for women everywhere.

Pandy’s character Monica is a more successful, more attractive, more feminist version of Pandy herself, and when Pandy got married, so did Monica. But now Pandy’s getting divorced, and people are saying that it’s time for Monica, now in h
Johanna
Jul 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
The author uses words like "quipped," "jauntily" and "gadfly". Without irony.

I was too distracted by the bad writing to really follow the plot. As far as I can tell, the hero of the story - Pandy - is a raving idiot whom others believe to be clever for no apparent reason whatsoever. Pandy created a fictional character, Monica, who appears in books and movies. Everyone in the world loves Fictional Monica because she is very beautiful and wears awesome clothes and only good things ever happen to
Amanda
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh, 2015
Possibly the worst book I have read in a very long time. The writing is awful. The characters are vapid and the plot so ridiculous that the time spent with this book felt interminable. It's going in the trash.
Books are TARDIS
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a book with an overly bright pink cover is not something I end up liking. I was really hoping that Bushnell would change that. Sadly, it wasn't to be so.

The only thing I kinda liked about this novel was PandaBeth. Pandy and SondraBeth went on the kind of totally off-the-top madcap adventures that are generally associated with very bro-centric male comedy films. Other than that, this novel doesn't seem to belong to this century. It's too cliched and ou
Love Fool
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
In KILLING MONICA, Candace Bushnell spoofs and skewers her way through pop culture, celebrity worship, fame, and the meaning of identity. With her trademark humor and style, this is Bushnell's sharpest, funniest book to date.

LIES! This was not funny or the book I have been waiting for. Candace Bushnell disappointed me and wasted my time. This book was stupid and annoying. Don't read it. Save your brain. Save your money.

BTW, it's not cute or entertaining to read about an over 40 year old woman a
Lisa B.
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
P.G. Wallis’s dream came true when her first book was published. The main character, Monica, was much loved by the public. Now, after several Monica books and movies, P.G. wants to break loose and write something different. Unfortunately, her fans, publisher, ex-husband and many others don’t want to see the end of Monica. Is P.G.’s only choice to bump her off?

This sure was an enjoyable read. Light, fast paced, sometimes goofy and with a nice little message in the end. A perfect read for summer v
Debra
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
That hot pink cover and Bushnell's name will catch a lot of suckers, but I can't believe her publisher dared to release this poorly written book.The "killing of Monica", which is presented as a main plot, doesn't take place until almost the end of the novel.Until then, the reader is forced to slog through a needlessly long review of the main character's past.So boring...Any action that does take place in this story is ridiculous.
Lucky for me I got this novel from the library.
Helen Argiro
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading and LOVING Killing Monica by CB.

A note of caution...
For those expecting the usual fall-in-love-and-live-happily-ever-after chick-lit fluff (that we all like to read on occasion), this novel, I am happy to report, is not that. KM is far more interesting, has more depth and is much more of a social commentary than is the case with the average predictable-ending chick-lit summer read.

Killing Monica is part madcap farce + part scathing satire + part feminist commentary on media
Loriann
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Let's be realistic. SondraBeth Schnowzer sounds a LOT like Sarah Jessica Parker, and funny how Pandy rhymes with Candy. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. Finished in one day out of sheer torture
Julia
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Killing Monica or Killing Carrie?

I've always been a big fan of Candace Bushnell and the Sex and the City series, and couldn't help but feel intrigued after reading the description for this book. Even after reading multiple reviews that revealed a genuine dislike for this book, I still couldn't help but feel captivated to see for myself exactly what Candace had concocted this time.

Candace Bushnell will always be renowned for the Sex and The City characters and I couldn't help but feel that this
Jaclyn
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some fun moments, some really ridiculous moments, overall a fun, light read, but the handling of the big reveal about Hellenor really bothered me. Using it just for shock value felt disrespectful of a community that is already marginalized and underrepresented in literature.
Tracy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
So dumb. I read it anyway.
Viti
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed-2018
DNF - Was totally bored, sorry and I loved her previous book:(
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I also purchased the audiobook.

Candace Bushnell creator of the much loved New York Carrie Bradshaw’s (Sarah Jessica Parker') Sex and the City, a series featuring female friendship, single life, hot Manhattan spots, fashion, drinking, sex, shoes, and Mr. Big-- A self-proclaimed shoe fetishist, Carrie focused most of her attention and finances on designer footwear, primarily Manolo Blahniks
BookCupid
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, own
She brings her to life, then plots to kill her.

Pandy is worldwide famous for creating the books/movies franchise Monica. Plus, her best friend is SondraBeth, the actress that plays Monica on the show. But Pandy is tired of writing only Monica books, dating actors, and above all, constantly comparing her life to Monica's. Maybe it's time to put an end to this, maybe it's time to kill Monica!

Candace Bushnell will always be attached to her characters of Sex and the City, and I wondered if perhaps,
Holly
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm relieved to see that many of my fellow reviewers have chosen to give this book 1-2 stars, because that's about all it deserves. I saw it on the library shelf and grabbed it (without consulting Goodreads first!) and figured it had to be fun chick lit for a summer weekend. After all, it was from the woman who brought us Sex and the City! Well, in my estimation it was boring and pointless and I'm kind of kicking myself for reading it to the end (it was a rainy day and I succumbed). If done well ...more
Mia
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let's just say I expected more from the main character Pandy (or rather from CB). CB's characters are supposed to be strong, independent and intelligent women, and Pandy was initially "packaged" as such too, but her letting things go out of control with the Jonny character didn't bode too well for my expected plot. As a comedy, the story didn't work as well. The only potentially funny scene would be the after-effects of Jonny lying on the bug-infested bed, but then the treatment was quite predic ...more
N.N. Light
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh gawd, what happened to you, Bushnell? This is the worst thing I've ever read! Don't bother reading this.

My Rating: - 10/5
Agi
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015

It's been some years since I've read any Candace Bushnell's books, and even if I am not the biggest fan of her stories, there is something in her writing that just attracts me to them, so when I've seen that "Killing Monica" is going to be published, I knew that I must read this book. The blurb promises that it's Ms Bushnell's best book yet, so full of hope, anticipation and expectations I started reading this story.

And at the beginning I enjoyed the book very much. It was slightly satirical, sl
Helen Marquis
Oct 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Who are these people?! Set amongst a shallow bunch of hateful women in Manhattan, "Killing Monica" centers around Pandy Wallis, a self-obsessed idiot who has created a much-loved character in Monica, spawning a series of books and movies.
Pandy and her friends are a bunch of 40-somethings who seem hell-bent on giving successful women a bad name - partying like college students, solving everything with more champagne, sleeping around, being irresponsible parents, bitching and falling out like
April
Jun 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
I hate to give any author a poor review because I appreciate and value writing and know it is extremely hard work. I unfortunately did not like this book. There isn't much to it and I skimmed though parts of it. It just isn't that interesting and I found myself wondering how much, if any, is inspired by the relationship between Sarah Jessica Parker and Candace Bushnell. I know Candace Bushnell can write better than this. I would not recommend this book.

I received an advanced reading copy of thi
Janet
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This book redeemed itself in the last fourth of the book. Not a lot of substance, especially in the beginning. Of course, I did not expect much but it was pretty bad... Glad I continued reading, things got funny the more I read. This book probably would have been a lot more enjoyable lying on a beach with a fruity drink in my hand...definitely a light beach read and there are probably much better choice out there.
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel! If you like Bushnell's books --- I've read them all and they're fabulous --- you will love this one. And the very ending - literally the last page - is awesome! Totally unexpected. Great summer reading --- I definitely recommend!
Mairzi
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Do not read this book. It is horrible in every way possible. Poorly written, badly edited, profoundly stupid plot. Although it is a very quick read even the short time it took to finish it felt like an eternity.
Cynthia G. Wolff
Sep 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So stupid and childish

The characters were simple and not likable at all. The story was awful too. It meandered and became outrageous Not worth the time....painful

• What's Never Said
  • Bennington Girls Are Easy
  • The Best of Enemies
  • The Santangelos (Lucky Santangelo, #10)
  • Hugo & Rose
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Waxed
  • Rich Kids of Instagram
  • Loan Some
  • The Devil Makes Three (The Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Year My Mother Came Back
  • Paris, He Said
  • Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit
  • You're Not Much Use to Anyone
  • The Mummyfesto
  • Incendiary Girls
  • Soil
  • A Bad Character
Candace Bushnell is the critically acclaimed, international best-selling author of Killing Monica, Sex and the City, Summer and the City, The Carrie Diaries, One Fifth Avenue, Lipstick Jungle, Trading Up, and Four Blondes. Sex and the City, published in 1996, was the basis for the HBO hit series and two subsequent blockbuster movies. Lipstick Jungle became a popular television series on NBC, as di ...more
“ogre.” 0 likes
“Something good happens to you, and you let off a different energy that attracts other good things.” 0 likes