Start by marking “Life or Death” as Want to Read:
Life or Death

Life or Death

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  6,531 Ratings  ·  1,035 Reviews
Why would a man who has served a long prison sentence escape the day before he's due to be released?

Audie was sentenced to 10 years for a robbery in which four people died, including two members of his gang. Five million dollars has never been recovered from the robbery, and everybody believes Audie knows where the money is.

For 10 years Audie has been beaten, stabbed, and
Published March 10th 2015 by Mulholland Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Life or Death, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
KarenC
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa
Being an avid reader, I can honestly say, one of the feelings that never gets old is stumbling across a new-to-me author that manages to catch me off guard—with their storytelling abilities or characters that incite a frenzy in me—leaving me with no choice but to keep my eyes glued to the pages. Or pick up another of their titles . . . immediately. Believe me, as much as I would like it to happen, it’s not a situation this picky reader finds herself in often enough, which is why it feels akin to ...more
Frances
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
An Extraordinary Book!
I recently discovered this author and after reading ‘Bombproof’ I wrote that it was “one” of the best books read this year. Having just completed ‘Life or Death’, it is definitely “the best” book I’ve read this year (maybe even last year as well). The story is about Audie Palmer who was about to become a free man after finishing a ten year sentence in prison. So the question is, why would he escape the day before his release? Now on the run this book soon becomes a page tur
Brenda
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true stand alone by Michael Robotham, without any characters that have appeared in previous books.

Audie Palmer has been in prison for ten years. He's being released tomorrow, but he escapes tonight. Moss Webster is just about the only friend Audie has in prison, and he had no inkling that Audie was planning this. Audie is on a mission. There are times he's lucky and, much more often, unlucky. He gets knocked down, but he doesn't stay down. Audie gets caught in a situation that is
Lisa
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about Michael Robotham an outstanding author who takes you on a thrill ride that you can't get off. I love Robotham none of his books have let me down yet , I love the way he takes you on a journey on the dark side.

Audie Palmer was in Jail for an armed robbery 4 people were killed & he survived he stole 7 million dollars & everyone wanted to know where the money went.

Now serving ten years in jail & getting beaten up by guards & prisoners alike he finally escapes fr
Phrynne
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was so,so good that I had trouble putting it down even for a moment. Audi is such an intriguing and likeable main character and I really wanted things to turn out well for him whilst being unable to see any way in which they could. The suspense is wonderful throughout the book and even when I figured out who was who and what had happened I still could not work out how it would end. When I was almost at the end I actually put the book away for an hour because I was so anxious about the endin ...more
Sharon
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audie Palmer was involved in an armed robbery where four people died and seven million dollars was lost. Audie is only one day away from being released from prison after serving 10 years. Then why would he escape the day before he was due to be released?

Audie suffered numerous beatings and stabbings throughout his time in prison from certain inmates who wanted to know where the missing money was, but no matter how much pain Audie endured he wasn't telling anyone anything.

Whilst the authorities
David Staniforth
Brilliant!

I loved this book and struggled to put it down to the extent that I was nearly late for work a couple of times.

Life or Death is more complex than other thrillers I have read, and doesn’t rely on gore or shock value. Moreover, it is a masterful piece of storytelling, almost literary in style, where the plot gradually unravels and the characters develop to give the answer to one overarching question: why does Audie Palmer escape prison the day before being released from a ten year stretc
Brenda
Audie Palmer had served ten years in prison for being involved in an armed robbery where four people had died under horrendous circumstances. He had almost died himself and spent time in a coma then a long time recuperating. His doctors were astounded at his recovery – at the very least he should have brain damage they all declared. But Audie recovered enough to be tried and convicted – the seven million dollars wasn’t to be found though. The non-stop beatings over the course of his incarceratio ...more
Susan
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audie Palmer has spent ten years in jail. He was sentenced after a robbery on an armoured truck led to four deaths, Audie himself horribly injured, one man – Audie’s brother –missing and seven million dollars unaccounted for. .. Through all of the ten years Audie has spent in prison he has suffered threats, beatings and countless attempts on his life by people hoping to get their hands on the money. So, with his jail term almost over, his actions make no sense. Why would a man about to be releas ...more
Jonetta
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Phrynne
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Audie Campbell escapes from prison on the eve of his release after having served ten years behind bars. What follows next is his odyssey to an ultimate goal where only he is privy to knowing.

The story juxtaposes the past and present in a fairly unique way. It's delivered more topically than chronologically, making it more difficult to follow but tons more interesting. There were many questions to be answered and having them revealed strategically served the s
Emma
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This was an excellent thriller! I read it because Stephen King enjoyed it and I belong to a group who follows his recommendations.
" he’s filled with a desperate, almost suffocating sadness and sense of abandonment. Why does the world have so little need of him? What can’t it just be ambivalent?"

This is the story of one Audie Palmer. I really can't say too much about the actual story without spoiling it for you and then you won't be 'thrilled' by how the events pan out.

I started with
Carolyn
Michael Robotham is a terrific writer of suspense crime novels and this latest stand alone novel does not disappoint.

The main character, Audie Palmer has survived 10 years of harsh prison treatment for his role in an armed robbery involving the death of four people but inexplicably escapes 24h before his release. At first the FBI wonder if he is out to find the missing money (seven million dollars) or out for revenge or maybe he has an alternative reason that he has never mentioned to anyone? A
Temi Panayotova
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Мисля, че кратката анотация, която е към книгата дава доста добра представа за сюжета й.
Лично да си призная, спряла съм да чета сюжета написан на гърба на книгите, за да се изненадам и да не се опитвам да гадая, как ще се развият нещата. Стига ми да знам жанра, в която е. Някак ми е по-приятно, но може и да звучи глупаво.

Много обичам от малка да чета криминалета и трилъри. Един от проблемите беше, че рядко можех да попадна на точната книга за мен от тези ж
Rosie
I was quite looking forward to reading this one, though unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. I have read three other novels by Michael Robotham and enjoyed them. This one just didn't really work for me. I found it a bit slow and difficult to get into. It wasn't until the last couple of chapters that I found myself really engaged with the book and actually enjoying reading it. The ending did keep me in suspense and I was very satisfied with how it ended. It's just a shame it took me right unti ...more
Judy Collins
Top 50 Books of 2015 "Best Tour de Force of Crime Writing "

International best-selling author, Australian Michael Robotham, is at the “top of his game”, crossing many genres and an ocean, for the setting of his latest novel, LIFE OR DEATH.

― Michael Robotham, Life or Death

Choosing the American southern state of Texas, delivering one of the most brilliantly written, and powerful thrillers of 2014-2015! US March
Amanda McGill
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Life or Death deserves all of the high ratings that it is receiving! Goodreads friends if you have this on your to-reads, pick it up sooner rather than later!

Audie has just spent the last 10 years in jail. The day before he is about to released he escapes. What is he hiding? Why did he escape?

I was totally surprised with how much I loved Life or Death. I found it a bit hard to get into (maybe the first 50ish pages), but once you get the characters straight and the timelines then it is an intens
Maureen DeLuca
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a new author for me, and wow- I'm glad I got read this novel.

Life or Death introduces us to Audie Palmer. Audie has been sentenced to ten years in prison for his putative participation in a 7-mil armored truck heist. The day before he is set to be released - Audie breaks out of prison- and now the mystery begins. WHY on earth would you break out of prison when you will be released the next day?!

Much of this book goes to the back story of where Audie grew up, his family, his brother an
Pat
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding, brilliant.

Indeed, why would a man about to be paroled escape from prison on the eve of his release? Audi Spencer Palmer was sentenced to 10 years in prison for his part in an armed robbery of a truck carrying $7 million in unmarked bills. Four people died in the course of the robbery and Audie himself was grievously injured and not expected to survive. The money was never recovered. Audi pleaded guilty and never gave his version of events or dobbed in anyone else. Yet Audie had an a
Gary
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent novel by one of my favourite authors Michael Robotham. The opening features a man who escapes from prison the day before he is to be released, why? This novel is well constructed and full of some really good characters, there are twists and turns and plenty of action. What more could you ask for. I am quickly running out of Michael Robotham books to read, in fact there is only one to go. An excellent writer who deserves more recognition.
MaryG2E
An engrossing and intriguing piece of crime fiction, beautifully written. I found its format refreshing - the absence of the conventional whodunnit with a psychopathic perp and a dedicated detective doggedly determined to deliver the denouement.
My interest never flagged, as Robotham gently unrolled the developments in this complex story. For me his reveals were like peeling away the layers of an onion. There was always something deeper, mysterious, to be further clarified.
The protagonist, Audi
DeAnna
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a real fan of crime or conspiracy novels, but I really enjoyed this one. I came upon this author by reading The Secrets She Keeps. I loved that book so I wanted to read more by Robotham. I'm glad I did and now some of his other books are on my TBR shelf.
Karen Brooks
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In an earlier review of Robotham’s works, I said they should come with a health warning as they render the reader unable to sleep. I want to correct that statement and instead recommend they be issued as a cure for narcolepsy, because I defy anyone to try and sleep while reading his latest work, Life or Death, because I sure as hell could not.

While I will read anything this man writes, I initially thought this was to be another in his Joseph O’Loughlin series and kept waiting for one of my favou
Best Crime Books & More
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. First off I have to admit were it not for a Guest Reviewer I would never have known about Michael Robotham. Having never read any of his work I was looking forward to reading another new author. The synopsis sounded fantastic and to be honest the only criticism I have is that the cover does not do the book justice. If I walked past this in a bookshop I wouldn’t even pick it up. Aside from that there is little to grumble about.

Audie Palmer is a quiet and unassuming bloke; the only difference
Anna Scott
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b2014, abandoned
This just did not grab me. I gave it 100 pages and nothing in there hooked me like the premise did. Plus I became increasingly frustrated by how, once the main character escapes, he kind of dawdles around. You would think that if you escape one day before your release date, you might've had some time pressures to make you act quickly. Apparently not.
Milena
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, softpress
Чудесно е извъртял нещата този Роуботъм, не очаквах разрвъзката да е такава
Liz Barnsley
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Publication Date: August 7th 2014 from Little Brown.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via NetGalley

Why would a man escape from prison the day before he’s due to be released?
Audie Palmer has spent a decade in prison for an armed robbery in which four people died, including two of his gang. Five million dollars has never been recovered and everybody believes that Audie knows where the money is.
For ten years he has been beaten, stabbed, throttled and threatened almost daily
Donna
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I love his books. Michael Robotham is a master storyteller. This book was definitely a page turner for me. It wasn't so much of a who dunnit but more of how is the evil-doer going to reap his consequences. This was tightly woven with all the twists and turns, I've come to expect from this author. His stories have many layers that draw me in. They are never about one thing. There is always something going on. I also love his characters. They were well developed.

So why 4 stars and not 5? This book
☮Karen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audie was an honorable, likeable ex-con.  For one thing, he didn't do what they accused him of.  So why did he have to go and escape prison with ONE  DAY left of his sentence?  That's  the question and the motivation behind becoming obsessed with this book.  I just had to know the answers and how it would play out. A very enjoyable book, great narration, and I would read this author again definitely.
 Li'l Owl
What can I really say that most everyone hadn't already said about this book? Maybe..... Life can be short, READ IT!!
Lee
This is my third Robotham book and again, I am blown away by his talent. This book is seriously good.

Unlike Robotham’s other books, this one is set in the US, (I did read where he’s said he couldn’t imagine something like this happening in Australia which, frankly, is a great relief!) and starts with the book’s hero, Audie Palmer, escaping from gaol. The twist in the story is that he’s escaped only one day before he is due to be released on parole.

Every man and his dog finds a reason to pursue
  • Deserving Death (Detective Ella Marconi, #7)
  • Beams Falling
  • Hell to Pay
  • Crucifixion Creek (The Belltree Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Girls
  • Through the Cracks
  • Darkest Place
  • Eden (Archer & Bennett, #2)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • Ronan's Echo
  • Coffin Road
  • Good Money
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
“Resentment is like swallowing a poison and waiting for the other person to die.” 56 likes
“Life is short. Love is vast. Live like there's no tomorrow.” 8 likes