Start by marking “The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)” as Want to Read:
The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)

The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  1,490 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Soul-Stirring Romantic Suspense from Kristen Heitzmann Finalist for the Colorado Book AwardKnown professionally as the "success guru," Morgan Spencer is the turn-around genius who revitalizes failing corporations. His gift for identifying problems and finding solutions extends to the personal lives of his friends and acquaintances.But the one life he can't seem to set stra ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Still of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Still of Night

Sara
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sweet-stories
This book followed up "A Rush of Wings" with some of the same characters from that book. My one issue with Ms. Heitzmann's novels is that in every book I've read so far, the characters come to a point just shy of resolution, then everything falls apart, they go their separate ways, and all seems lost. Where this is typical of many storylines, the way in which she writes it makes it seem a little inevitable and predictable as I continue reading through her novels. Overall, though, I enjoy her wor ...more
Willowy Whisper
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Still of Night was wonderful. At the beginning, I sort of dragged myself along, not totally interested in everything going on. But as the story unfolded and the characters found a place in my heart, I found myself enraptured with this book. I was riveted. As always, I've found that Kristen delves into amazing, realistic details that makes you feel like she actually lived in Jill and Morgan's world. The depth of sorrow and pain was equally real.

Wonderful book. Even when I wasn't reading it,
Jill
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hate it when I cry at a happy ending! The problem was that the journey to that ending was a bumpy one. This was the continued story started in the book, The Rush of Wings. It was good to find "old" friends among the new ones in the book. Morgan and Jill are meant for each other but their history together wasn't good. Kristen Heitzmann makes things seem so real. This is a Christian novel and read for enjoyment, but also makes me think about my own faith.
Ian
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was encouraged to read this by some new friends who are BIG fans of it.

This was a delightful surprise for me. I don't typically read, "Women's Fiction", however, Kristen's full-bodied characters and their development through the novel are tremendous. I now understand why my friends are so effusive in their recommendation.

In particular, Morgan Spencer, the male lead, is excellently portrayed and reflects a great understanding of the male psyche. He is both ambitious, selfish, blunt but also cha
Susie Grant
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Spencer is one of those bad boys that you can't help but love. It's apparent that he has some strong bitterness going on but I love how the author uses the prayers of his daughter to make him see how much he is loved by Jesus. She has such a strong faith in the midst of adversity.
Jill Runyan struggles with feelings of unworthiness brought on by her parent's unforgiving disapproval after she becomes pregnant as a teen. It takes her much too long to embrace God's forgiveness and His cleans
Heather
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this emotional novel. The story moved rapidly and the characters were memorable.

Never have I been so impressed with the way an author handled a foul-mouthed character. Not once were his crude words included, and no blank lines so you could imagine what he was saying. Instead the narrator commented on how many times in a sentence he used a particular word. "So far he'd gotten it into every sentence." I got the flavor of the character without have to hear the vulgarity, and I
Maritza
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book literally from 8 am until 12:30am the next morning ...it was that good and it actually made me cry ( it really was that good) I loved that the story of Jill and Morgan was hinted at in the first book Rush of Wings because this book details perfectly their entire story. I already had enjoyed the Michelli family series so much and after reading 2 books in this series, i will read anything written by Kristen Heitzmann! Loved this book
Caryl
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
OH.MY.WORD. Morgan and Jill's story is one that reaches in to your soul. It is wrought with pain and heartache. There is also hope and joy. I love the strong faith element that is woven throughout. I highly recommend this book.
Jo Franz
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
My second reading of this book. (Do you ever read books so fast you don't remember what really happened in the end? Or is it age? Ha!) This Heitzmann book set in my favorite places weaves lost faith and the reality of true life struggles with a great twist ending. Enjoyable!
LadyCalico
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved Rush of Wings so much, I just had to find this book and get the rest of Morgan's story. I was hoping the follow-up would have the road to love running a bit more smoothly for him, but I should have known better. Poor Morgan still has a tough row to hoe. Like much Christian fiction, this novel plays a very mean soccer game, kicking around your emotions, but it is way better developed and written than most formulaic Christian Romances, with very engaging plot and characters, plus more skil ...more
Katherine
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, chic-lit
I didn't realize that this was a sequel to "A Rush of Wings" until I started reading it. I think my biggest problem with Kristen Heitzmann is that I like her characters too much! I get so involved in the story that I want to know what happens quickly! And her books seem to always keep you hanging until the very end. I liked it, though. And I keep reading her books, so she is doing something right!
Amy
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I know I read this book, and it was really good. nice conclusion to A Rush of Wings.
*spoiler* If I remember correctly, the only thing i didn't like about these two books was the "i need time away from you to realize i love you then I'll just pop back in your life a few months later" part. like the author didn't have a good way to tie them together, so she used "time" and "unspoken thought" to get them back together. But I stilled liked it.
pam
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
all i can say is WOW!!! I just loved this book i listened to it on audio cd i don't know if was the guys voice but the words was so powerful i could not stop listening to it. i was so overwelmed with the story the heartbreak and the struggle Jill and Morgan went through. I connected with the charaters and i felt there pain. I did not realize this was book two so i am going to read the first book Rush of wings.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a deeply emotional story of second chances, you don't need to look any further than The Still of Night. I wish I'd read this before Breath of Dawn, but even though I knew how several major plot threads would end, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. As a bonus, Heitzmann so intrigued me with several references to "Beethoven's Last Night" that I bought the CD and have been enjoying that too.
Kelly
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read the sequel to Rush of Wings and find out what happens in the life of one of the brothers who was in love with Noelle. It was especially moving as there is a 14 year old girl in the story who is fighting leukemia. I cried throughout the book and was very touched by the story. The author has such a talent to make you love the characters she creates! I was sad to finish it and say good bye to the Spencer family...
Loraine
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very long book. I listened to it for days and days. But it was good. Ed Sala is a really good narrator. You wouldn't think being a man, that he could speak as though a woman was speaking but he does a good job. References to God and his power and help in our lives was often and well done. I'll read another of hers.
Robin Sampson
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as much as "A Rush of WIngs". It is a stand alone but you'll enjoy it more if you read "A Rush of Wings" first. Almost 10 years later Kristen wrote a third book in this series "The Breath of Dawn." I just bought it and can't wait to get to it.

Years after reading these books I miss the characters.
Alis
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book - you should read "A Rush of Wings" before this book though as the main character is developed in the first book. They can be read separately, but would still recommend that order.
Patti
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent story. You will enjoy is so much more if you read A Rush of Wings first, as Morgan is introduced, and really the author gives you huge insights to him, there.
June
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved Morgan. He was an awesome guy! Loved this second book in "A Rush of Wings" series. Can't go wrong reading this series.
Kim
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! It is bittersweet, but a very good read. Kristin Heitzman does a great job of bringing her characters to life. I highly recommend this book!
Ashley Townsend
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than "A Rush of Wings," so I'm not sure if I can bring myself to read the next book about Morgan, where he's forced to endure even MORE tragedy. Give the guy a break!
Grannyvango
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great story hard time putting it down.You felt you knew the the people in the story that you were there with them.About people and how we are.Very goood book.
Jeni Enjaian
**Update: I absolutely loved this book the second time around, even more so than the first. Rarely does that happen. This book definitely made it safely through round two of the "purge" of my personal library.

A review from my old blog...

I fell in love with the characters in Heitzmann's two historical fiction series but I had a hard time connecting with the two main characters in this book. Most likely this was just something in my head because at the beginning I had the distinct feeling that I'd
Jeanette Parker
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall a good read. Sad story, but had potential to be more uplifting. The ending felt rushed with the "religious" piece. I don't feel that Jill's misconceptions about having to show a perfect and different facade at church and amongst her "Sunday-only" friends was fully resolved. She never seemed to get a handle on being the same person where ever she was and that too be a good witness she had to be joyful all the time.
Lora
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I just finished this book, and I'm having a hard time breathing. I read the first book in this series & loved it, and I eagerly dove into this one. It's nothing like what I expected--very emotionally gut-wrenching and "real." The plot was unpredictable and suspenseful, and I kept forcing myself not to look at the end of the book, but to go through the intense emotions & situations along with the characters. I'm so glad I did. The characters kept developing & becoming more real and co ...more
Jessica White
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Rush of Wings and then The Still of the Night. Kristen manages to create real people in her characters, wholly human, struggling and wrestling with their walk with the Lord. These books are filled with scripture and prayer and the name of the Lord. As you read your wrestle right along with the characters.

The Still of the Night deals with some hard issues-children with cancer, the foster care system, self-righteous parental authority, alcoholism, teenage pregnancy. It doesn't shy away, an
Leah
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you read fiction for the resolution to conflict, you've got a while to wait in this novel. The innerpersonal conflicts that drive The Still of Night aren't resolved until three pages from the end.

Yep, this book and the fifteen years that preceded it in fiction land are one big valley. The characters didn't even realize the mountain top that could have been theirs if they had just surrendered.

But isn't this true in all of our lives? We hold on to what we shouldn't. We do things as we see fit.
Pamela
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I am a fan of books. Fiction, Christian fiction, thrillers, Romance, Sci-Fi, Non Fiction, history, biography, etc. I love it when I find a book within a specific genre that really works. This is a Christian fiction novel (a book 2 I discovered but I never read book 1). I love the characters and how they struggle each day with their faith and their lives. Not all people who call themselves Christians seem to act in what I think is a Christian way (i.e. loving, forgiving, caring, etc). And there a ...more
Jane
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Though he is professionally successful, the one life Morgan Spencer can't seem to set straight is his own. Behind his charming rebel facade is a need that drives him toward perfection--and emptiness. Morgan has been haunted for years by the tragic decision his first love made when they were still in high school, but everything changes for him when Jill Runyun reenters his life. And the news she shares will either set him free or bring him to his knees.
With her trademark dramatic storytelling, b
  • Escape to Morning (Team Hope, #2)
  • Dread Champion
  • Before I Wake
  • The Day of Reckoning (Baxter #2)
  • Lost and Found
  • Firethorn (Discarded Heroes, #4)
  • When Dreams Cross (Second Chances, #2)
  • Stranded (Alaskan Courage, #3)
  • Distant Echoes (Aloha Reef #1)
  • The Splitting Storm (The Storm Series #2)
Kristen Heitzmann is the award winning author of contemporary romantic suspense, psychological suspense, and historical series. An artist and musician, she'll also be found hiking the Rocky Mountain trails.
More about Kristen Heitzmann...

A Rush of Wings (3 books)
  • A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings, #1)
  • The Breath of Dawn (A Rush of Wings #3)

“When you pray, all heaven prays with you. That's a mighty army.” 13 likes